Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Inverted TopHat loops

Inverted TopHat loops

LoopRunner

Posted:
5/4/10 at
10:49:58 PM

Hey everyone..New to the board< just wondering if anyone here knows of any coasters that utilize this particular loop other than Mr. Freeze or the late great Batman and Robin? They seem to be pretty rare for whatever reason...Thanks!

Re: Inverted TopHat loops by boyzbad at 5/4/10 11:43:23 PM

Ahhh love that ride...best at night!

Re: Inverted TopHat loops by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 5/5/10 12:16:32 AM

> Mr. Freeze or the late great Batman and
> Robin?

That's all of them. The only coasters ever to have inside tophats are Mr Freeze(SFOT), Mr Freeze(SFSTL), and of course the retired Batman&Robin: The Chiller.

Re: Inverted TopHat loops by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 5/5/10 12:20:32 AM

I'm so disappointed I became a major coaster fan late. I would've loved to ride the B&R coasters. I mean I don't understand why they had so many problems with that ride. Was it because of the track layout or that SFGAdv couldn't maintain it?

I mean if the Sahara hotel in Las Vegas is to close, I wished they would sell that coaster to Six Flags. They need to get rid of that lame excuse of a coaster: the Dark Krap.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Inverted TopHat loops by MABrider MABrider Profile at 5/5/10 12:49:09 PM

> That's all of them. The only coasters ever to have inside
> tophats are Mr Freeze(SFOT), Mr Freeze(SFSTL), and of
> course the retired Batman&Robin: The Chiller.

I've been on SFStL Mr Freeze and The Chiller.
I liked the Batman side of Chiller best, and it was because of the inside tophat.

Love running through them backwards!

Mike B.

Re: Inverted TopHat loops by chillerfan at 8/22/11 9:28:02 PM

Takashiba has an inversion that looks somewhat like an inverted top hat

Re: Inverted TopHat loops by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/22/11 9:50:10 PM

> I'm so disappointed I became a major coaster fan late. I
> would've loved to ride the B&R coasters. I mean I don't
> understand why they had so many problems with that ride.
> Was it because of the track layout or that SFGAdv couldn't
> maintain it?

Here's everything you ever wanted to know but were afraid to ask about the Chiller:

http://greatadventurehistory.com/BandRTheChiller.htm

I miss it - like I've said before it was my first launched coaster and will always hold a special place in my heart.

Jen

Re: Inverted TopHat loops by squirrels at 8/23/11 10:20:37 AM

That would have been neat to ride.

The "top hat" is an interesting feature. Most of the focus on it has been huge quick-shot strata-coasters, but as I've said in my posts about StormRuner, there is a lot of potential for smaller top-hats as elements in complete coasters, rather than just entities unto themselves. I'd like to see more of them.

An inverted top-hat is a pretty sexy concept. The downside to it is that it doesn't give the same "air-time" as a rightside-up top-hat, so the hyper-lovers may not get as much of a kick/not get the same thrill of "falling off the edge" at the top, but those who are into loops would. Maybe to satisfy both groups...a dual-tophat coaster with one normal top-hat on the front-end and an inverted top-hat on the back-end??

Another thing I think would be really neat is a loop from vertical...for example, placing a loop inline with either the vertical-up or vertical-down section on a tophat.

From what I've seen, though...it looks like Intamin in particular is getting away from hydraulics and LIM launches, looking more to cable-lifts (MF, I305) and LSM (Maverick) as the future of ride-launching. I dunno if LSM can produce enough speed to get up a nice tall "tophat". Certainly not in as short a launch track as KdK or TTD...although the tunnel-shot on Maverick seems to put on speed quickly.

Re: Inverted TopHat loops by MABrider MABrider Profile at 8/23/11 1:24:03 PM

> Here's everything you ever wanted to know but were afraid
> to ask about the Chiller:

> Jen

Great post, Jen!
Great link (don't know why the link did not "come along" when I clicked "reply with quote)."

I'll never forget the feeling when I took my first ride on the Batman side with those new restraints: Nirvana!
I miss Chiller, too.

Mike B.

Re: Inverted TopHat loops by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 8/23/11 9:06:18 PM

There's a new Maurer Sohne launched coaster at Bayern Park in Germany that features a mini inverted top hat. The link is not in English.

http://www.coasterfriends.de/forum/eure-tripreports-unsere-freude/3368-coasterfriends-freischuetz-eroeffnung.html#post51661

And a mini-Mr. Freeze at Trans Studio theme park in Indonesia.

http://www.rcdb.com/9551.htm?p=36496

I'd love to see more coasters have this element as I absolutely LOVED it on SFStL's Mr. Freeze. I only got to ride Robin Chiller and thought that was a great ride despite the Batman side being closed.

G-Dog

* This Post Has Been Modified *