Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > The Crypt at KI

The Crypt at KI

JoshuaColley

Posted:
4/19/10 at
6:57:47 PM

I was there on opening day this past Saturday, and decided to take a spin to see what They Crypt had to offer this year. I am sad to say they are still running the ever so boring 2 slow flip cycles. Is there a reason they have made this ride so boring? I remeber riding it when they had the new more intense program and that was totally awesome. I will not bother riding this ride again even if it was a walk-on as it is just a major waste of time now.

And no I'm not just a hater of this ride, I personally loved it as Tomb Raider, and as I mentioned earlier with the more intense program it was good to.

Also with all the themeing during the ride itself gone, and most of the themeing in the line pointless I think they should just knock the buildings down and have it out in the open!

Josh

Re: The Crypt at KI by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 4/19/10 7:41:48 PM

I agree, it's totally boring now. While I agree that it was much more entertaining in its Tomb Raider days, it was also very rough, and every time it would stop short a flip, it would be like crashing through a brick wall, but I still had fun. I much preferred KD's Tomb Raider though.

-Josh

Re: The Crypt at KI by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 4/20/10 1:19:21 AM

> I agree, it's totally boring now. While I agree that it was
> much more entertaining in its Tomb Raider days, it was also
> very rough, and every time it would stop short a flip, it
> would be like crashing through a brick wall, but I still
> had fun. I much preferred KD's Tomb Raider though.

> -Josh

KD's was amped up compared to last year as I reported in my TR last week.

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: The Crypt at KI by alpengeistno3 at 4/20/10 3:56:42 AM

> Also with all the themeing during the ride itself gone, and
> most of the themeing in the line pointless I think they
> should just knock the buildings down and have it out in the
> open!

> Josh

Now could you imagine how REALLY lame it would be without the darkened building to hide behind? Like taking Skull Mountain and putting it in a field, lol!!

Paul

Re: The Crypt at KI by looper77 at 2/15/12 12:44:24 AM

Well it looks like it's time to say good-bye to The Crypt. After only 12 years, Kings Island announced on Twitter that they have decided the ride has reached the end of its serviceable life. It will be replaced by a haunt experience.

I never really understood why they routed Diamondback right in front of The Crypt instead of behind it anyway. Not to mention, whose bright idea it was to build the jungle-themed Tomb Raider/The Crypt in the middle of the western-themed Rivertown???

Re: The Crypt at KI by RobLec RobLec Profile at 2/15/12 9:04:06 AM

Thanks for the info. No great loss. It was cool at first when all the effects worked, but it didn't take long before it became an iffy attraction. My advice to anyone was, if the line stops for more than five minutes, get out of line and do something else. Even if it wasn't a mechanical failure, it meant someone probably threw up.

Re: The Crypt at KI by Shaggy Shaggy Profile at 2/15/12 10:26:23 AM

Sort of an end of an era I guess.

It's such a pitiful ending for a ride that initially was so promising. When that darn thing opened, I was so excited for it. You have to admit that the effects/theming were incredible!

But as noted above, the ride's theming simply wasn't "kept up" and within a season or two it looked ramshakle. By the time CF took over, the actual mechanical ride was tamed to the point of near boredom. Recently the ride experience was as tame as the latter ride programs that befell "Quake" at Kentucky Kingdom and "Gladiator's Gauntlet" at Busch Gardens.

Shaggy

Re: The Crypt at KI by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 2/15/12 12:23:49 PM

> Sort of an end of an era I guess.

> It's such a pitiful ending for a ride that initially was so
> promising. When that darn thing opened, I was so excited
> for it. You have to admit that the effects/theming were
> incredible!

> But as noted above, the ride's theming simply wasn't
> "kept up" and within a season or two it looked
> ramshakle. By the time CF took over, the actual mechanical
> ride was tamed to the point of near boredom. Recently the
> ride experience was as tame as the latter ride programs
> that befell "Quake" at Kentucky Kingdom and
> "Gladiator's Gauntlet" at Busch Gardens.

> Shaggy

Shaggy, are you the surprise Eric promised us this week?

Welcome back!

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: The Crypt at KI by KevinReid KevinReid Profile at 2/16/12 12:20:56 PM

I remember being there the opening night at PKI and line up had to be all the way back to Vortex and a certain PR manager came by and suggested,"that we may want to try other attractions that evening". The Reids and Shaggy got the hint so we left the line. I think the next day we got to ride my buddy Shaggy was pretty excited but, I could have done without. Not a big fan of spin and spew.

Regards,
Kevin Reid