Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Fun With Track Lists

Fun With Track Lists

drachen drachen Profile

Posted:
4/3/10 at
1:28:10 AM

First of all, I consider myself a Microsoft Excel dork. I just love it, and I think it's the greatest computer program ever designed. I love statistics too.

Having said that, and realizing that there are numerous places online (even on the iPhone and iPod Touch) to keep track of the roller coasters we've ridden, I prefer to use an Excel spreadsheet because of all of the fun ways I can sort the rides I've ridden. It can tell me so many things about the pastime I enjoy.

Am I the only one that does this?

I have 10 columns to sort the coaster's data. They are:

A - the coaster's number, in the order I've ridden the rides. I derived this column from column G.

B - the coaster's name

C - s or w, representing steel and wood

D - (and I just created this one tonight) S/W #, derived from columns A and C, I can now sort the coasters, in order ridden, by wood and steel.

E - Amusement Park (listed by the park that I rode the coaster in. I change the park when I ride the ride at its new location)

F - Ride Designer, it's neat to see how many coasters I've ridden from a particular designer, with a few clicks of the mouse.

G - Date First Ridden, I've kept a personal daily journal for many years, and was able to complete this column to the exact day I rode each ride, with the exception of the first 30 coasters or so (before I started the journals) To create Column A, I was able to remember in what order I rode the rides that day in the park.

H - Coaster Rides per coaster, granted this is an estimate for several of the rides, but I keep track in my head while I'm at a park, how many rides I get on each coaster.

I - Count, simply gets a number 1 in it for riding the ride. The spread sheet then automatically accumulates my running count and Coaster Rides.

J - Notes, any notes that I make, like if a ride has been moved or retired.

Anyway, from all of that information, I can share with all of you the following about me:

Coasters Ridden - 201

Steel Coasters Ridden - 149

Wooden Coasters Ridden - 52

Coaster Rides Taken - @ 976

First Steel Coaster - Big Thunder Mountain, June 1987

First Wooden Coaster - Comet, Hersheypark, June 1988

50th Coaster - Wild Mouse, Lagoon, 17 April 1999

50th Steel Coaster - Batman: The Ride, SFGAdv, 25 May 1999

50th Wooden Coaster - Wolverine Wildcat, 24 July 2009

100th Coaster - Shockwave, King's Dominion, 14 August 2002

100th Steel Coaster - Revolution, SFMM, 19 October 2002

150th Coaster - Boomerang, SFMW, 30 July 2003

150th Steel Coaster - It's gonna' be Intimidator 305, SOON!
(I'm sitting on 149...)

200th Coaster - Mystery Mine, Dollywood, 19 October 2009

I've ridden 15 coasters that don't exist anymore.

Please don't think that I have too much time on my hands. This this has been a work in progress for many years, and I tinker with it whenever I open it. For me, it's just maximizing the amount of information I can gather for a hobby I enjoy.

I'd be curious to see what kind of Track List information any of you have. Anything I haven't thought of?

Re: Fun With Track Lists by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 4/3/10 4:10:28 PM

I don't have as detailed a list as you do, but you've given me some ideas [if I were to make a list]. Thanks.

Re: Fun With Track Lists by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 4/3/10 8:21:37 PM

As a statistics fan, I find that pretty cool.

- Pat-O

Re: Fun With Track Lists by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 4/4/10 2:29:17 PM

Whoa drachen! Sounds waaaay too much like work to me!

Coasters are fun! Not work! LOL

~MommaBeast

Re: Fun With Track Lists by drachen drachen Profile at 4/4/10 3:51:28 PM

But Mommabeast, what if you find coasters and statistics fun? :-)

Re: Fun With Track Lists by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 4/5/10 2:12:24 AM

> But Mommabeast, what if you find coasters and statistics
> fun? :-)

Then, dear one, you are in NIRVANA!

~MommaBeast
HAPPY STATISTIC-ING
:)

Re: Fun With Track Lists by drachen drachen Profile at 4/15/10 1:02:24 PM

Upon Further Review... More Tidbits

I've ridden (among others)...

10 Anton Schwarzkopf

26 Arrow

25 Bolliger and Mabillard

9 CCI's

8 Dinn Summers

1 Gravity Group

6 GCII's

15 Intamin

8 John Allen

6 John Miller

5 Maurer Sohne Mice

4 Morgan

8 Premier

3 S&S Power (including 2 wooden)

4 Herb Schmeck

3 TOGO

19 Vekoma

9 ACE Classics

and a partridge in a pear tree.

Love Excel...

* This Post Has Been Modified *

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Fun With Track Lists by ravenrider ravenrider Profile at 4/21/10 2:24:29 PM

Coaster Counter web site also is good for keeping track. I've tracked over 600 rides and almost half are defunct. Im not the top rider but I do have to many defunct rides from the 70's and 80's.

Re: Fun With Track Lists by drachen drachen Profile at 8/25/10 1:37:10 PM

I've tinkered with it again.

I been through 267 different inversions on 72 different roller coasters with at least 1 inversion.

All tolled, I've be up-side down on a roller coaster 1608 times.

Crazy stuff...

Re: Fun With Track Lists by millennium_force_cp millennium_force_cp Profile at 8/25/10 9:06:33 PM

Wish I could travel and ride a mix of coasters to do this, It would give me a evergrowing challenge :)

Re: Fun With Track Lists by kdleader kdleader Profile at 8/26/10 6:36:09 PM

> I'd be curious to see what kind of Track List information
> any of you have. Anything I haven't thought of?

I've been using an Excel spreadsheet as a back-up to Coastercounter.com. I keep the basic info: state, park, coaster, ride specs (using rcdb.com info), order of coaster (didn't start until #88), and year(s) coaster was ridden.

Let me add that we share Mystery Mine as our 200th coaster which I rode last month.

Re: Fun With Track Lists by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/26/10 8:54:35 PM

> Coaster Counter web site also is good for keeping track.
> I've tracked over 600 rides and almost half are defunct. Im
> not the top rider but I do have to many defunct rides from
> the 70's and 80's.

I'm supposed to be finishing my case reports that are due tomorrow and now you've got me searching for coasters I've ridden on coaster counter.com!! I love this site!!

Jen

p.s. Does it count if you've ridden a coaster but you don't remember it? I was on several when I was young that my mom told me I rode when we went to various parks but I have no memory of some of them.

Re: Fun With Track Lists by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/26/10 9:06:26 PM

> Coaster Counter web site also is good for keeping track.
> I've tracked over 600 rides and almost half are defunct. Im
> not the top rider but I do have to many defunct rides from
> the 70's and 80's.

> I'm supposed to be finishing my case reports that are due
> tomorrow and now you've got me searching for coasters I've
> ridden on coaster counter.com!! I love this site!!

> Jen

> p.s. Does it count if you've ridden a coaster but you don't
> remember it? I was on several when I was young that my mom
> told me I rode when we went to various parks but I have no
> memory of some of them.

That's always been my quandary about counting in general and CoasterCounter in particular. There are coasters on CC that I have to assume I rode at some point. There's others that I may not have rode, but know I went to the parks. There's others I may have counted wrongly. That's why, when I mention how many coasters I've been on, I refer to it as my "unofficial" count. Right now, it's 274. I've got my eye on my birthday weekend for #275 (and a couple of higher numbers.)

I shoulda told you about CoasterCounter 2 years ago! Then you wouldn't be neglecting your reports. Just make sure they're done by Tuesday :)

Mike

Re: Fun With Track Lists by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 5/19/11 1:12:41 AM

Very cool. I keep something similar, with most of the same columns as the OP (I just don't have the number of times I've been on each). Otherwise I think I have most of the same columns.

I also use coastercounter, though it's still short about 5 coasters that I haven't found ways to list yet. A few of the traveling coasters I've used approximates to cover them, but there's still a few that CC can't do that I do have listed on my own personal list.

I do count a few coasters that I don't necessarily remember but that I know that I rode. I do the same on my kids' lists. There's a few there they don't remember but we know they rode because I rode with them. :)

Re: Fun With Track Lists by drachen drachen Profile at 4/27/12 11:14:39 AM
I recently did some more tinkering...

I've ridden on approximately 623,788 feet of different roller coaster track.

Counting multiple rides (but excluding doubling back on shuttle coasters), I've ridden on approximately 3,220,890 feet of roller coaster track.

That seems like a lot. But, the funny thing is, those numbers pale in comparison to many people out there, including many of you.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Friend me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Fun With Track Lists by frontrow frontrow Profile at 4/27/12 12:19:40 PM
Those are interesting stats. You originally posted this thread before I became a member. I also keep all those stats, but I have a notebook. I'm not computer literate enough to keep it the way you do. Another thing that I do is I save my park maps and write on the map next to the ride how many times I've ridden it and in what seats. This allows me to go back and look at each individual visit to a certain park. Another thing that cool about saving your park maps is that you can see how a park has changed over the years.
Re: Fun With Track Lists by sarki7 sarki7 Profile at 4/27/12 2:55:35 PM
Glad to see I'm not the only coaster/stats geek. I used to have an Access DB, but no longer have that level of MS Office, so I've reverted to Excel and had to get creative with some of the analyses I've run.

I've got 3 lists, really. A coaster by park list, which as includes the manufacturer, the type (standup, mine ride, etc.), my personal rating, how many times I've been to the park with the coaster running, the year I added the coaster, the year I last rode it, and the number of times I've ridden. I also track if a coaster is defunct.

The other two lists are separate steel and wooden rankings. I've got park, manufacturer, type, and rating. It's a little ridiculous to rank from top to bottom - but this is ALL ridiculous really, right?

It allows me to track some interesting things. I have a tally for coasters added per year (best year was 2004, with 47, last year was great, at 37), coasters per type (33 junior/kiddie coasters, 16 wild mouse, 11 SLCs, 13 Boomerangs, etc), coasters per manufacturer (55 Vekoma, 41 B&M), and coasters per park (19 at Magic Mountain - all current coasters plus Flashback, Psyclone, and Deja Vu)

But the real fun is sorting lists, where I can see how I rank all B&M coasters, or all inverted coasters, etc. Like posters above, it's something I come back to year after year, so it's gotten a little crazy, but it's a lot of fun. I can host it on my website if folks are interested in using it as a template for their counts.

* This post was modified at 4/27/12 2:57:06 PM *

Coaster Count: 331 (268/63)
Favorite Steel, Wood: Montu, Thunderhead
www.gregscoasterphotos.com ← Go there! It's good!
Re: Fun With Track Lists by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 4/27/12 3:14:54 PM
sarki7 said:

Glad to see I'm not the only coaster/stats geek. I used to have an Access DB, but no longer have that level of MS Office, so I've reverted to Excel and had to get creative with some of the analyses I've run.

I've got 3 lists, really. A coaster by park list, which as includes the manufacturer, the type (standup, mine ride, etc.), my personal rating, how many times I've been to the park with the coaster running, the year I added the coaster, the year I last rode it, and the number of times I've ridden. I also track if a coaster is defunct.

The other two lists are separate steel and wooden rankings. I've got park, manufacturer, type, and rating. It's a little ridiculous to rank from top to bottom - but this is ALL ridiculous really, right?

It allows me to track some interesting things. I have a tally for coasters added per year (best year was 2004, with 47, last year was great, at 37), coasters per type (33 junior/kiddie coasters, 16 wild mouse, 11 SLCs, 13 Boomerangs, etc), coasters per manufacturer (55 Vekoma, 41 B&M), and coasters per park (19 at Magic Mountain - all current coasters plus Flashback, Psyclone, and Deja Vu)

But the real fun is sorting lists, where I can see how I rank all B&M coasters, oIr all inverted coasters, etc. Like posters above, it's something I come back to year after year, so it's gotten a little crazy, but it's a lot of fun. I can host it on my website if folks are interested in using it as a template for their counts.

Interesting...I use coaster counter on my iphone for the simple use of how many coasters I have been on period. It has a top 10 list and then two separate top 10's for steel and wood. I always try and count how many times I ride coasters each visit ect, but I always end up being lazy and just have fun instead. It's funny, I'm like that with trip reports. I get really stoked on all the pictures I take and then upload em to tumblr/facebook and use instagram/flickr and all that good stuff but then by the time I get to this site I get tired haha. Same with TR's, I have an awesome day and think about writing it, then I get a paragraph or two and get tired haha. I'm on the computer so much so it gets annoying. I love reading them from other people though!

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Fun With Track Lists by drachen drachen Profile at 4/27/12 3:23:24 PM
frontrow said:

Those are interesting stats. You originally posted this thread before I became a member. I also keep all those stats, but I have a notebook. I'm not computer literate enough to keep it the way you do. Another thing that I do is I save my park maps and write on the map next to the ride how many times I've ridden it and in what seats. This allows me to go back and look at each individual visit to a certain park. Another thing that cool about saving your park maps is that you can see how a park has changed over the years.

Very cool - you do it old school - Nice!

I never did track where I've sat on the trains. I guess I've just kinda' kept track in my mind. I usually only ever care to sit in the front or back, unless there is another must-ride row that I hear on this site.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Re: Fun With Track Lists by drachen drachen Profile at 4/27/12 3:37:29 PM
sarki7 said:

It is ridiculous, but if you like numbers, it's fun. I simply use different columns and then sort the data differently (coaster, number, park, manufacturer, defunct, number of times ridden, length) to get different lists.

I never bothered with ratings. I think it's hard to compare rides from park to park. I have my favorites to create what looks like a top 10. But after that, it gets murky.

It's also funny to see how my list has changed since 2010. I have more categories - and that means more fun...

drachen
Re: Fun With Track Lists by drachen drachen Profile at 4/27/12 3:40:06 PM
mugen828 said:

Interesting...I use coaster counter on my iphone for the simple use of how many coasters I have been on period. It has a top 10 list and then two separate top 10's for steel and wood.

I've seen those third-party sites and apps, but never used them. For me, there's nothing like having a list that you can control and format to your own liking. And if you're good with Excel or other spreadsheets, it makes it even easier.

drachen
Re: Fun With Track Lists by sarki7 sarki7 Profile at 4/27/12 3:53:12 PM
mugen828 said:

Interesting...I use coaster counter on my iphone for the simple use of how many coasters I have been on period. It has a top 10 list and then two separate top 10's for steel and wood. I always try and count how many times I ride coasters each visit ect, but I always end up being lazy and just have fun instead. It's funny, I'm like that with trip reports. I get really stoked on all the pictures I take and then upload em to tumblr/facebook and use instagram/flickr and all that good stuff but then by the time I get to this site I get tired haha. Same with TR's, I have an awesome day and think about writing it, then I get a paragraph or two and get tired haha. I'm on the computer so much so it gets annoying. I love reading them from other people though!

Yep, it can be rough trying to remember the number of rides in a day, especially after an ERT session. To be honest, most of the coasters I rode in the 80s and early 90s are just guesses at the number of circuits - but I'm pretty sure I've got all the coasters covered. (Only rode 4 coasters before 1995, so it wasn't all that hard)

As nuts as I am about my count, I'm even crazier about my TRs. My trick is to keep a running list on my phone's notepad during a visit, usually updating while waiting in line. It won't help you remember all the details, but it's the only way I'm able to remember a full day of rides. I post my TRs to my site, so take a look if you want to. Careful, they are detailed (i.e., long).

* This post was modified at 4/27/12 3:55:36 PM *

Coaster Count: 331 (268/63)
Favorite Steel, Wood: Montu, Thunderhead
www.gregscoasterphotos.com ← Go there! It's good!