Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > The world's first Jo-Jo roll?

The world's first Jo-Jo roll?

LoneStar LoneStar Profile

Posted:
3/3/10 at
6:09:16 PM

Check out this youtube video of Super Sonic Odyssey, an indoor coaster in Malaysia. Does this qualify as the the world's first Jo-Jo roll?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HueenIUZGRU

* This Post Has Been Modified *

super sonic odyssey

Re: The world's first Jo-Jo roll? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 3/3/10 7:31:51 PM

> Check out this youtube video of Super Sonic Odyssey, an
> indoor coaster in Malaysia. Does this qualify as the the
> world's first Jo-Jo roll?

> * This Post Has Been Modified *

Interesting how long you're moving before you get to the lift hill.

I don't know if it's the first Jo-Jo, but ever since I first heard the term relating to Hydra, I've been curious how the coinage of the phrase came about. (In Ben Stein monotone)...Anyone?...Anyone?...

Mike

Re: The world's first Jo-Jo roll? by alpengeistno3 at 3/3/10 9:26:51 PM

Yep, that's definitely a Jo-Jo. I'm assuming this coaster was built long before Hydra? Really, it's no different than all the hoopla Busch and Arrow made over Drachen Fire with it "first" batwing, which was a poorly supported version of a Vekoma boomerang cobra roll. The innovation is clearly in the name, not the inversion.

Paul

By the way, the Jo-Jo was named for some person at Dorney. His position escapes me at the momment.

Re: The world's first Jo-Jo roll? by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 3/4/10 12:16:22 AM

This would be the first Jo-Jo roll. I can't remember off the top of my head the year this came out, but they were still using the same kind of trains for Colossus (Thorpe).

Re: The world's first Jo-Jo roll? by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 3/4/10 1:24:53 AM

Super Sonic Odyssey

Re: The world's first Jo-Jo roll? by Absimilliard Absimilliard Profile at 3/4/10 10:37:44 PM

My question is this: what makes a Jojo roll? Is it a barrel roll taken before the lift or just a slow barrel roll? Its strange how Dorney Park marketing department created a first out of pretty much... nothing! Intamin been doing barrel rolls like this since 1996, on the defunct Lethal Weapon Pursuit in Germany. The difference here is that the barrel roll is taken at the end of the ride.

Re: The world's first Jo-Jo roll? by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 3/4/10 11:56:57 PM

Well, I guess it is just defined at as a barrel roll, taken at a very slow speed, soon after the station, pre-lift hill.

Now, who can define a "wingover?"

- Pat-O

Re: The world's first Jo-Jo roll? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 3/19/10 6:31:48 PM

> Now, who can define a "wingover?"

> - Pat-O

Is that a half corkscrew that immediately followed by another half corkscrew that points you back the way you came?

Re: The world's first Jo-Jo roll? by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 3/19/10 6:42:33 PM

> Now, who can define a "wingover?"

Taken from URC's glossary:

Wingover - A term used to describe a half-corkscrew inversion element on Bolliger and Mabillard inverted roller coasters.

-Josh

Re: The world's first Jo-Jo roll? by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 3/22/10 4:27:47 PM

Actually, a wingover is also the element used on the Vekoma SLCs and Pinfari's inverts.

Re: The world's first Jo-Jo roll? Photo Icon by scarywaffles scarywaffles Profile at 3/31/11 11:37:19 PM

wingover is EXACTLY the same as corkscrew. the only difference is that wingover is for inverted roller coaster. User Submitted Picture

Re: The world's first Jo-Jo roll? by drachen drachen Profile at 4/13/11 7:38:20 PM

> My question is this: what makes a Jojo roll? Is it a barrel
> roll taken before the lift or just a slow barrel roll? Its
> strange how Dorney Park marketing department created a
> first out of pretty much... nothing! Intamin been doing
> barrel rolls like this since 1996, on the defunct Lethal
> Weapon Pursuit in Germany. The difference here is that the
> barrel roll is taken at the end of the ride.

The better question is, what is the governing board that determines these coaster/element labels?

The answer, of course, is none. Marketing departments from parks and manufacturers are free to label anything as the please. We're left with a mess trying to determine what is what.

The closest thing we have to a governing board is rcdb.com, and as amazing as that sight is for information, the classification of rides and elements is subjective to a third party standard.

The jo-jo roll is just a silly name for a barrel or heartline roll. Sure it's different in that it's directly out of the station, and it may even be angled downward so gravity can pull the train through, and it's made by B&M. But, to me, it's all irrelevant. It's a barrel roll, and it's not 100% original, as we've seen in the video.

In all honesty, wasn't TOGO the first to create a true barrel/heartline roll (non-pipeline coaster) on SFGAdv's Viper? Intamin's, Gerstlaur's, and B&M's are all copies in a sense.

At least we can thank TOGO for something.

Re: The world's first Jo-Jo roll? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/17/14 4:41:28 PM
Jo-Jo Screw perhaps??? :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBFbwaFeVl8

Re: The world's first Jo-Jo roll? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/17/14 5:07:04 PM
Chris, we're all gonna chip in and get you a Home Depot gift card so you can buy a brand-new shovel for all these old threads you dig up. ;)

Seriously, though? I enjoy them, reading to see who's still around and who's not, things I may have missed, reading my own old posts to see if opinions and feelings are consistent.

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...