Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Trainer Killed During Shamu Show at Sea World Orlando

Trainer Killed During Shamu Show at Sea World Orlando

Coaster3.16

Posted:
2/24/10 at
4:44:43 PM

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-seaworld-orlando-shamu-injury-20100224,0,942688.story

Very unfortunate news out of Orlando.

- Jeff

Re: Trainer Killed During Shamu Show at Sea World Orlando by sparky sparky Profile at 2/24/10 4:47:55 PM

That would cause me trauma for the rest of my life if I were in the stadium watching an attack like that.

Any idea if the whale was killed?

Re: Trainer Killed During Shamu Show at Sea World Orlando by Coaster3.16 at 2/24/10 5:14:47 PM

Nothing on that yet. There are conflicting reports out there. Some stories are saying this didn't happen during a show, so I'm really not sure what the real details are.

- Jeff

Re: Trainer Killed During Shamu Show at Sea World Orlando by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 2/24/10 5:42:36 PM

Latest update from the local news here:

Trainer was dead when the paramedics arrived. This is a whale that has had a troubled past- killing a trainer when it was at a different park in British Columbia, and being caught with an intruder dead laying on his back (the guy apparently hid in the park at closing, then jumped into the tank later on. died of hypothermia and the whale used him as a "toy")

It took place just before a show started, in front of a crowd in teh stadium. Conflicting reports as to whether or not the trainer slipped into the water or was standing on the edge, when the whale came up, grabbed them and either shook them or drowned them

Still lots not known. Whale is not dead as there was no reason to kill it.

Re: Trainer Killed During Shamu Show at Sea World Orlando by Nocho at 2/24/10 8:51:56 PM

> That would cause me trauma for the rest of my life if I
> were in the stadium watching an attack like that.

> Any idea if the whale was killed?

Why would the Orca be killed? It's not the captive dolphin's fault, it's human error. You have the most dangerous and intelligent animal on the planet in a small fish tank, these type of things should be expected, and I am surprised they don't happen more often. You couldn't pay me enough to get in a tank with an Orca, but I wouldn't think it would be traumatic to see that happen. That's nature, that's what those things do. Call me whatever you want, but I don't see this as a big story.

Re: Trainer Killed During Shamu Show at Sea World Orlando by Nocho at 2/24/10 11:39:38 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz8AuKmItwM&NR=1

Re: Trainer Killed During Shamu Show at Sea World Orlando by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 2/25/10 5:45:14 AM

A little clarification on the "show" it was at. They have a "Dine with Shamu" where people can eat lunch or dinner at tables set next to the training pools in the back and where the trainers come out to talk to them. It was at one of those lunch times, where the trainer had been explaining the regular show, that it happened.

Also several reports that the whales had been agitated and uncooperative in earlier shows. That may or may not have had anything to do with it.

Re: Trainer Killed During Shamu Show at Sea World Orlando by Coaster3.16 at 2/25/10 7:15:46 AM

Thanks for the update. Some of the articles were unclear on when it actually happened.

Disruptions to the shows because of uncooperative whales (or dolphins or anything, really) is relatively common, right? I know I've seen it a few times myself. I can remember once at Six Flags Marine World the dolphins getting a "time out" in the middle of a show, which I thought was pretty fascinating.

- Jeff

Re: Trainer Killed During Shamu Show at Sea World Orlando by MABrider MABrider Profile at 2/25/10 12:51:43 PM

> Disruptions to the shows because of uncooperative whales
> (or dolphins or anything, really) is relatively common,
> right? I know I've seen it a few times myself.

> - Jeff

Last Feb I (along with the chilly one) visited Sea World, and we went again just two weeks ago. Last year we experienced one of those instances where a portion of the "Shamu" show could not go on. Not that we knew it right away other than things seem to have slowed down a lot. Then a trainer came out and explained to the crowd that some whales were not "in the mood" or something.
I never knew! And thought it was cool of them to be so up front about it rather than just continuing on as if everything was fine. The show was still quite excellent.

This year, no such issues, and the show was spectacular.

Re: Trainer Killed During Shamu Show at Sea World Orlando by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 2/25/10 1:52:12 PM

This whale has now killed three people. I don't think it was ever the whales intention of killing anyone. Nor should the whale be killed.

Your playing with a living buss that doesn't realize you cant hold your breath for 20 minutes like they can. It was probably trying to play with all of them. Not once have I seen, The person was bitten in half, eaten or what not.

In this instance, Its said it came up behind her, Grabbed her by the pony tail and drug her in, Now she could have hit her head, anything or just had the wind knocked out of her and was never able to recover.

The whale should be a exhibit, Nothing more. Third times kinda proof not to mess with it. For all I know it wanted to hump her leg. Kinda harmless and weird if its a dog but a 16 ton whale??????

Re: Trainer Killed During Shamu Show at Sea World Orlando by Judy_P_in_Pgh Judy_P_in_Pgh Profile at 2/26/10 2:59:34 PM

ORLANDO, Fla. -- SeaWorld will restart its killer whale shows this weekend after Tilikum, the largest orca in captivity, dragged a trainer to her death in the water at the Orlando park.

SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment President Jim Atchison said Friday trainers won't get in the water with the killer whales for now until officials finish reviewing what happened to veteran trainer Dawn Brancheau, 40.

"We will make improvements and changes and we will move forward," Atchison said at a news conference at the Florida park, one of three SeaWorld locations. The others are in San Antonio and San Diego.

The trainer was dragged into the water Wednesday by Tilikum. The medical examiner says she likely died of traumatic injuries and drowning.

Atchison says Tilikum will remain an "active, contributing member of the team" at SeaWorld.

Atchison says whale shows will resume Saturday. He says he's not sure how long it will be before trainers are allowed to get back in the water with the animals.

Tilikum is the only killer whale in the SeaWorld chain that the park has special handling rules for, Atchison said. The 22-foot, 12,000-pound male was involved in two earlier deaths at SeaWorld and a park in British Columbia.

Atchison wouldn't speak to specific protocols or whether any had been violated, saying it's too soon to come to any conclusions.

"It's far too early to get to that point," he said. He added, "We are evaluating every policy, every procedure we have."

The issue of protocols was raised by the former head of animal training at SeaWorld, Thad Lacinak, who said earlier Friday that the rules in place when he left the park in 2008 would not have allowed Brancheau to lie down on a submerged shelf next to the whale, where the animal was able to grab her ponytail.

"She laid completely down, which is a very vulnerable position to be in with an animal like Tilikum. And apparently her ponytail drifted into the water, he just opened his mouth, sucked it in and pulled her in the water," Lacinak, who left SeaWorld in 2008 after a long career to start a consultancy, told The Associated Press.

Lacinak said he'd been told how the attack happened by other trainers who were at the scene. Based on their description, he said the rules for handling Tilikum that were in place during his tenure had either been broken or changed.

Tilikum was one of three orcas blamed for killing a trainer in 1991 at a theme park near Victoria, British Columbia. In 1999, the body of a naked man was found draped over Tilikum at SeaWorld. Officials said the man had stayed in the park after closing, apparently fell into the whale tank and died of hypothermia, but was also bitten by Tilikum.

Lacinak said Brancheau's ponytail was merely a "novelty item" to the whale, who was not trained to be in the water with people.

"It was a novel item in the water, and he grabbed hold of it, not necessarily in an aggressive way," he said.

Lacinak said the whale dragged the trainer into the water in more of a playful, investigative manner. Once the whale had her in the water, it likely became a game.

"It was more novelty, he's like, 'Hey look, you're in the water, I'm going to play with you,'" Lacinak said.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/tu/5NPWnv8oM.html

Re: Trainer Killed During Shamu Show at Sea World Orlando by mx_14 at 2/26/10 6:28:27 PM

Personally i think that the whale should not be killed because whales are not meant to be kept in captivity. The trainer probably knew she was risking her life and should of thought it before. Especially knowing about the whales history. R.I.P Dawn Brancheau....

Re: Trainer Killed During Shamu Show at Sea World Orlando *NM* by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 2/27/10 8:58:49 AM
NA

* This post was modified at 1/21/17 11:34:34 PM *

Re: Trainer Killed During Shamu Show at Sea World Orlando by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 2/27/10 12:26:00 PM

> Atchison says Tilikum will remain an "active,
> contributing member of the team" at SeaWorld.

> I hope that this is just "coach talk". How many
> people have to die before Sea World realizes that this
> killer whale shouldn't be near humans? There's no way that
> this orca should be displayed to the public IMO.

He is not, nor has ever been near the public. The only ones that have ever been allowed near him are the most experienced of their trainers, and that's it. And there isn't an option on that. They have to be able to feed it, give it veterinary care, and other basic things for it to be able to survive. And you have to keep it interactive and doing things, or it will become more of a problem- not just ot the trainers but to the other whales as well.

So what would you have them do? Put it in a straight jacket? Kill it- and lose it as a breeder and valuable study and teaching resource? Turn it loose and guarantee that it's going to die out in the wild since it can't take care of itself? Really, think about the situation in detail- what that whale does and how much it actually interacts with people and then tell me what options you have that are going to benefit everyone.

Re: Trainer Killed During Shamu Show at Sea World Orlando by Nocho at 2/27/10 5:31:07 PM

> I hope that this is just "coach talk". How many
> people have to die before Sea World realizes that this
> killer whale shouldn't be near humans? There's no way that
> this orca should be displayed to the public IMO.

> I'm sorry, but I don't buy that "Tilikum didn't know
> what he was doing" argument. So the other two times
> Tilikum killed, he didn't know what he was doing either?
> Gimmie a break! Captive orcas clearly have a "license
> to kill" at marine life parks because of the money
> that they bring to the park, and the public relations
> nightmare to the park if this animal was killed in an
> effort to save a trainer; That's not the case with zoo
> animals, because they are expendable, and orcas are
> untouchable.

> * This Post Has Been Modified *

This is about the most idiotic post I have ever read on this site. It's too stupid to even argue against.

Re: Trainer Killed During Shamu Show at Sea World Orlando *NM* by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 2/28/10 12:26:08 AM
NA

* This post was modified at 1/21/17 11:33:28 PM *

Re: Trainer Killed During Shamu Show at Sea World Orlando *NM* by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 2/28/10 1:09:49 AM
NA

* This post was modified at 1/21/17 11:35:13 PM *

Re: Trainer Killed During Shamu Show at Sea World Orlando by Nocho at 2/28/10 5:22:48 AM

> You couldn't pay
> me enough to get in a tank with an Orca, but I wouldn't
> think it would be traumatic to see that happen.

> Well, that post (Nocho) is the most cold, and cruel post
> that I've ever seen. How would you expect your children to
> react if they saw that accident with their bare eyes? Like
> a regular day in the park? Hopefully not!

> Then for the double whammy, by saying that the SWO accident
> isn't a "big story"; That should be the
> "most idiotic" post! This story is all over the
> news, TV talk, and the internet. Of all places, why would
> you say that on a park website?

I don't think it's a big story. If my kid saw it happen, hey that's life, I would explain to him what happened - an accident. I'd rather have him grow up early and see what crap life dishes out. He's already tough, he just had his dog die in his arms and he delt with that better than I did. I'm fine with him seeing some stuff.
The lady died. I didn't know her, did you? I'm sure it's a tough loss for her family and friends, it's a sad park related story. From my view though, it's just another one bites the dust. I ain't gonna get all bent and call for a Whale's death or seclusion. Get real. That's life, these things happen.

I don't think that Whale killed the one drunk guy that fell in the pool, I think he was already dead and the Whale was playing with him like a toy. I could be wrong though.

And I take it back, there probably is a dollar amount that could get me to ride around on an Orca's back. Everyone's got a price, because The Million Dollar Man said so!! (beastmaster prob the only one who gets that).

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Trainer Killed During Shamu Show at Sea World Orlando by NotSo NotSo Profile at 1/17/17 10:27:29 PM
ok, so I was looking back at some old posts..
It's weird that was 7 years ago..

* This post was modified at 1/18/17 2:32:11 PM *