Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Hell Hole at Coney

Hell Hole at Coney

Overbanked Overbanked Profile

Posted:
8/23/08 at
10:26:30 AM

Do anyone out there know what happened to the "Hell Hole" darkride at Coney(I believe it was at, or just outside of Deno's right near the Wonder Wheel)? I saw it in a book called "The American Amusement Park" written by Dale Samuelson; Great book BTW. Any info would be great concerning Hell Hole.

Re: Hell Hole at Coney by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/23/08 10:30:51 AM

^^^BTW, the "Hell Hole" pic in the book was taken in 1983 to give you an idea as to how long ago that was; I dunno when HH was taken out.

Re: Hell Hole at Coney by coastermom coastermom Profile at 8/23/08 4:53:33 PM

I thought the Hell Hole was a New Jersey, Wildwood ride. I've been on it and still have the button!

Re: Hell Hole at Coney by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/23/08 7:32:14 PM

Who knows; It could be the same exact ride! It was in the eighties when HH was at Coney; idunno if they are truly the same ride that was relocated.

Re: Hell Hole at Coney by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/23/08 8:09:12 PM

> I thought the Hell Hole was a New Jersey, Wildwood ride.
> I've been on it and still have the button!

Hi, Jodi!

To the best of my memory, the Jersey Hell Hole was on the Seaside Heights boards. There may have been one in Wildwood, too...hazy memories. The Seaside one had an absolutely psychotic ride op who would run endless cycles, vary speeds, stop the ride short so you practically fell off the wall, start it up again as you were heading for the door..truly a man after my own heart!

You're heading to Jersey soon, right?..if you haven't already, that is.

Mike

Re: Hell Hole at Coney by jimvid at 8/23/08 11:28:58 PM

There was a Hellhole in Wildwood on the Sportland pier:
http://www.angelfire.com/nj/wwbysea/SPORTLAND/hellhole.htm

Coney Island's Hellhole was there from at least the early 80's (if not earlier) closing after an accident in 1995. It was replaced by the Ghost Hole dark ride. I rode it in the early 90's - it was an evil ride - blows a rotor away (same concept though).

Re: Hell Hole at Coney by DAFE_Rick DAFE_Rick Profile at 8/23/08 11:58:07 PM

I was told by the head of maintenance at Conneaut that only three Hell Holes were imported to the US so it is possible that the Coney one moved. Conneaut's was junked. I'm guessing that they may not have been made well.

Rick

Re: Hell Hole at Coney by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/24/08 4:05:14 AM

Thanks guys for the info; You guys are AWESOME!__:)

Re: Hell Hole at Coney by coastermom coastermom Profile at 8/24/08 4:41:46 PM

The Hell Hole was such a great ride! We were able to turn upside down and hang our legs over our heads and do all sorts of fun stuff! I'll always have fond memories of growing up with rides like the Hell Hole! I also LOVED the Swiss Bobs! I wanted to be the ride op DJ and yell, ""DO YOU WANNA GO FASTER?!!!!!!" Sound the siren and blast CCR! Good times.....Good Times!!

Re: Hell Hole at Coney by MissWillowGrove MissWillowGrove Profile at 3/28/13 2:29:08 AM
Yes, as described the "Hell Hole" was on Sportland's Pier which was actually in North Wildwood. I think it was about 20th St.; of course, directly across from Sportland Pier which was on the land side.
It was such a magnificent, gravity defying ride. Being upside down, etc. It was the best. At some point I think there was a small fire and it never returned.
Re: Hell Hole at Coney Photo by d_n_s_u at 3/28/13 4:16:13 AM
Courtesy of Foz posted on the Coney Island Message Boards in 2007 User Submitted Picture