Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > The old long-gone "Pirate Ride" at Cedar Point...

The old long-gone "Pirate Ride" at Cedar Point...

segafan7 segafan7 Profile

Posted:
7/15/08 at
11:03:10 AM

I was looking over on Cedar Point's website and they have been showing some pictures of a haunted house that they are working on for "Halloweekends". They're putting it up where the Pirate Ride used to be located and it made me wonder whatever happened to the old ride??

Does anyone have any info on whatever happened to that ride and if there is still anything left to it there at the point???

The building is still intack, but have the insides been completely gutted or what??

Anybody out there know anything about this... the guys over on Cedar Point's blog never respond to my questions!!

Re: The old long-gone "Pirate Ride" at Cedar Point... by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 7/15/08 11:49:16 AM

When I last rode it in the 90s there wasn't much left as far as working effects. If it were to ever reopen in some form, Im almost betting it would be interactive.

Im sorry but this Sally thing does nothing for me anymore and all the PC BS that goes along with it.

That was what was so nice about my visit to Rye, Genuinely scary and non PC fun houses. I regret I didn't get to ride the Old Mill but Im possitive it wasn't GARFIELD'D

Chuck

Re: The old long-gone "Pirate Ride" at Cedar Point... by Mavv Mavv Profile at 7/15/08 3:00:21 PM

Does anyone have any pictures of it? Exactly what type of ride was it?

Re: The old long-gone "Pirate Ride" at Cedar Point... by segafan7 segafan7 Profile at 7/15/08 3:06:20 PM

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of the ride and I haven't seen many either...

Whenever you do see a rare picture it is of the outside of the attraction and I've never seen anything taken from inside...

The Cedar Point "Pirate Ride" was an old "dark ride" that closed down in the mid 90's...

It was kind of like a cheap version of Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean ride, only instead of going through the ride on actual floating boats, you would ride through in little 4-person cars that were designed to look like little pirate ships!!

There was even a scene on the ride where you would go winding between two Pirate ships shooting at each other!!

If I remember correctly... most of the stuff was brightly colored to be seen under a "black light"!! The WHOLE ride may have been black lit... I don't remember for sure...

The thing I remember most is at the very end of the ride there was this GREAT ghostly scream of a wail that went from low to high and then back down...!!! It was cool stuff, but I guess I can understand Cedar Point closing it because ridership had dwindled to just about nothing...

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: The old long-gone "Pirate Ride" at Cedar Point... by DAFE_Rick DAFE_Rick Profile at 7/15/08 4:30:23 PM

As far as I know, both Pirates and Earthquake were trashed. I have two figures from Earthquake. The person I got them from said his brother's father in law was tearing down the building for the lumber and carted a few things home. I assume the same thing happened to the Pirate ride. I did see a couple small props from Pirate in the Merry Go Round Museum a few years ago (they were on temporary loan.)

I had a chance to ask the head off maintenance about the rides once but all he told me was that the axles on both sets of ride cars were the same as the Arrow Turnpike cars, so they kept them. I have to assume everything was trashed unfortunately.

This article about Freedomland has two interior photos of Pirate at Cedar Point. http://www.dafe.org/attractions/parks/freedomland/freedomland.php

Rick

http://dafe.org

Re: The old long-gone "Pirate Ride" at Cedar Point... by Mavv Mavv Profile at 7/15/08 5:37:32 PM

^Thanks. Those pics are cool... Too bad they got rid of that, it would have been neat to see it today.

Re: The old long-gone "Pirate Ride" at Cedar Point... by sparky sparky Profile at 7/15/08 6:09:40 PM

So it was the Pirate Ride that was located next to what is now Gameday Grille that you pass enroute to Blue Streak?

Where was the other ride located at CP?

-Mark

Re: The old long-gone "Pirate Ride" at Cedar Point... by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 7/15/08 6:43:10 PM

> Im sorry but this Sally thing does nothing for me anymore
> and all the PC BS that goes along with it.

What do ya mean PC? Politically correct? If so; Yeah certainly Sally is so "PC" that they have a darkride at HRP called "The Nights in White Satin: The Trip" that's a freakin' acid trip for gawdsakes! Not exactly PC; Maybe I misunderstood you Chuck; Explain whatcha mean a lil' more throughly.

Re: The old long-gone "Pirate Ride" at Cedar Point... by KHTOExtreme at 7/15/08 7:54:57 PM

The other ride your mentioning was called Earthquake. The location of this ride was were the Snoopy store is now and before that was created, it was the Bearstein Bear Village.

Re: The old long-gone "Pirate Ride" at Cedar Point... by DAFE_Rick DAFE_Rick Profile at 7/15/08 8:07:51 PM

> Im sorry but this Sally thing does nothing for me anymore
> and all the PC BS that goes along with it.

Remember one thing, Sally builds what the PARK wants. Sally constantly gets a bad rap for what it builds in the US, but look at what they do in Europe. The US parks are hung up on coasters being the most important ride in the park and most would never consider spending a fraction of what they would spend on a coaster for a darkride.

Rick

Re: The old long-gone "Pirate Ride" at Cedar Point... by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/15/08 8:12:45 PM

> I regret I didn't get to ride
> the Old Mill but Im possitive it wasn't GARFIELD'D

> Chuck

Rye's Old Mill has not been GARFIELDED but it HAS been TROLLED! The tableaux inside feature those creatures.

Mike

Re: The old long-gone "Pirate Ride" at Cedar Point... by millennium_force_cp millennium_force_cp Profile at 7/21/08 12:02:57 AM

All i know is that they took it out for the raptor i think? and im pretty sure they took it all out

Re: The old long-gone "Pirate Ride" at Cedar Point... by DAFE_Rick DAFE_Rick Profile at 7/21/08 6:31:56 AM

> All i know is that they took it out for the raptor i think?
> and im pretty sure they took it all out

Nope, the building is still there. Look close and you can see the tire marks where the loading area was and there is still a mural on the outside wall, it least it was still there last year.

Ricc

Re: The old long-gone "Pirate Ride" at Cedar Point... by segafan7 segafan7 Profile at 7/23/08 2:20:53 PM

Ya... I was just there (At the Point) in May of this year!!

The little tire tracks can still be seen... As well as the "Pirate" themed stuff painted on the wall there...

That's what made me wonder if there was still anything left "INSIDE" the building... because the building is still there...

Or, is it mostly taken over by that Game Day Grille restaurant that is next to it??

Even if this ride wasn't getting the kind of "ridership" that it used to... I think it's a part of Cedar Point that should've been kept around!! It was a nice little ride that any member of the family could go on and enjoy... and the last "Dark Ride" that Cedar Point had!!

As a fan of Dark Rides, Cedar Point doesn't have ANYTHING like that anymore... "EarthQuake", "The Pirate Ride", and the infamous "Upside-Down Funhouse" were all CLASSIC attractions that will always be missed by A LOT of people out there!!

Re: The old long-gone "Pirate Ride" at Cedar Point... by DAFE_Rick DAFE_Rick Profile at 7/23/08 5:19:16 PM

There has been a long running rumor that someone at Cedar Fair doesn't like darkrides. Face it, coasters have been the most important thing at Cedar Point for a long time. While I like coasters, every time a new one is built, the park seems to lose more trees and gains more concrete and, in my opinion, loses more of the charm the park once had.

Rick

Re: The old long-gone "Pirate Ride" at Cedar Point... by segafan7 segafan7 Profile at 7/24/08 11:48:57 AM

And I totally agree with you, Rick...

The thing about those rides at Cedar Point, though, is that their locations were NEVER taken over by a rollercoaster!!

We both know that the Pirate Ride's building is still there... although the interior may have been used by part of the Game Day Grill???

The old location of the Earthquake ride just became A STORE!!! Kind of a pointless change there if ya ask me...

And the old location of the Upside-down funhouse has some building that sometimes has been used as a little arcade and sometimes used as nothing!! WOW!! What a waste...

And now, with the addition of "Maverick"... Cedar Point doesn't have any Log Flume rides either... Well... unless you count that Big Splash thing as a log flume ride, which I don't!!

Ya... the family "Charm" that Cedar Point once had in the 60's and 70's is certainly LONG GONE!!

And, sorry, but I don't count Camp Snoopy and the various Snoopy themed stuff because it's soooo geared for kids.... where as the other stuff was fun for the WHOLE family to ride!!

Re: The old long-gone "Pirate Ride" at Cedar Point... by DAFE_Rick DAFE_Rick Profile at 7/24/08 11:57:35 AM

I kinda understand the removal of the funhouse from a liability issue. People are quick to sue over the most minor thing. Right now there are NO funhouses left in amusement parks in the US. (I mean the old physical stunt type, not the Tracy walkthrough kind.) Buskill's was the last one. What bugs me is that I once contacted the local historical society about trying to get it established as a historic landmark, but they couldn't care less. Basically, they said you can go ahead but it is a pain in the ass to do the paper work. Some historical society, huh?

I have to take a guess and assume that Cedar Point's darkrides probably could push enough people through as the park got bigger and bigger, but who knows! I know John Wood from Sally has talked with them and seemed hopeful to get a rid in the park...SOMEDAY.

I also found it hard to believe that Pirates turned into a storage area and Earthquake (my favorite defunct darkride) was torn down.

Rick

Re: The old long-gone "Pirate Ride" at Cedar Point... by mikejenkins1 at 7/24/08 4:22:31 PM

Have you been to Kennywood? Try going inside Noah's Ark. It is a blast and is a fantastic dark ride.

Re: The old long-gone "Pirate Ride" at Cedar Point... by DAFE_Rick DAFE_Rick Profile at 7/24/08 7:59:08 PM

I've been going to Kennywood since I was too small to ride the coasters!

Rick

Re: The old long-gone "Pirate Ride" at Cedar Point... by piratejay21 at 8/20/08 1:19:56 PM

I remember going on the Pirate Ride at Cedar Point when I was a little kid. I'm only 18 years old now, but that was my all time favorite ride there! Right now its being converted into "The Magical House On Boo Hill" for Halloweekends this year. Thats all I know about whats in store for the old ride. I wish they would've kept it so that when I'm old enough to have kids I couldve taken them on the ride that used to be my favorite.

Re: The old long-gone "Pirate Ride" at Cedar Point... by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 8/20/08 1:45:55 PM

Rick, now that we're talking dark rides, at MK, was the old Ragoer Rabbit Taxi ride (can't think of the actual name) where the Winnie the Pooh is right now?

I never got a chance to do CP's dark rides, and quite saddened by that, especially falling in love with dark rides many thanks to Disney.

Re: The old long-gone "Pirate Ride" at Cedar Point... by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 8/20/08 1:48:13 PM

> Rick, now that we're talking dark rides, at MK, was the old
> Ragoer Rabbit Taxi ride (can't think of the actual name)
> where the Winnie the Pooh is right now?

> I never got a chance to do CP's dark rides, and quite
> saddened by that, especially falling in love with dark
> rides many thanks to Disney.

I do believe Winnie the Pooh replaced Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

-Josh

Re: The old long-gone "Pirate Ride" at Cedar Point... by CFObsessed CFObsessed Profile at 8/30/08 9:38:12 PM

About Cedar Pint and dark rides,I would love to see one like Ghostwood Estate at Kennywood.

Re: The old long-gone "Pirate Ride" at Cedar Point... by DAFE_Rick DAFE_Rick Profile at 8/31/08 6:58:46 AM

> Rick, now that we're talking dark rides, at MK, was the old
> Ragoer Rabbit Taxi ride (can't think of the actual name)
> where the Winnie the Pooh is right now?

> I never got a chance to do CP's dark rides, and quite
> saddened by that, especially falling in love with dark
> rides many thanks to Disney.

Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin was/is only at Disneyland.

By the way, the Daffy Klub web site has the most complete list of dark attractions you'll find. http://www.dafe.org/where2ride/index.php Things change a lot so you'll probably find a few things listed that are gone and some new ones that haven't been added yet, but an update is in the works. (It is a HUGE task to verify all the info, especially when some parks and attractions don't update THEIR web sites...if they have one!)

Rick

Daffy Klub- The Official Web Site of the Darkride and Funhouse Enthusiasts

Re: The old long-gone "Pirate Ride" at Cedar Point... by RobLec RobLec Profile at 8/31/08 11:01:16 AM

> About Cedar Pint and dark rides...

Was that a back-handed way of calling the point pint-sized?

Re: The old long-gone "Pirate Ride" at Cedar Point... by CFObsessed CFObsessed Profile at 8/31/08 11:51:20 AM

Sorry,I meant Cedar Point. ;)

Re: The old long-gone "Pirate Ride" at Cedar Point... by kbuinowski at 4/20/10 10:29:55 AM

i remember the pirate ride at cedar point. and i have ride it a few times when i was younger and it was fun and remember it was going towards the blue streak and the cliypso. but they tore the pirate ride down has well the mill race which was a water ride. to make room for a roller coaster.

Re: The old long-gone "Pirate Ride" at Cedar Point... by KHTOExtreme at 4/20/10 7:24:03 PM

Actually only the Mill Race was removed for building of Raptor. The building that Pirate Ride was in was use for a few things; the old loading and unloading station up front was used as a arcade for a few years, the main part of the building was used as a storage space; now in the past years it houses Boo Hill a haunted attraction for the kids. Boo Hill was moved there from the old location at Dodgem bumper cars.

I am one that would love to see another dark ride attraction to be built at Cedar Point.

Re: The old long-gone "Pirate Ride" at Cedar Point... by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 4/21/10 9:29:15 PM

I know this has been mentioned before, but the Point still has ONE dark ride left...If I am correct, Disaster Transport is still a dark ride...

Oh BTW Rick, thanks for the link, albeit almost two years later. :)