Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > What Was Your First Coaster?

What Was Your First Coaster?

kingofthecoasters2

Posted:
6/24/08 at
2:42:36 AM

What was the first roller coaster you rode.

Re: What Was Your First Coaster? by jcarr71 jcarr71 Profile at 6/24/08 11:39:03 AM

Comet at Great Escape. I was probably around 5 or 6. I don't remember anything more than boarding it though.

Re: What Was Your First Coaster? by JCxHC4life JCxHC4life Profile at 6/24/08 2:11:07 PM

Rock'n Roller Coaster at MGM Studios. I was 16 years, and my friends pressured me into riding it, and now looking back, I'm glad that they did.

Also, I've been wondering lately, why is it that when you post a message you never share your own opinion or give a reply? It seems like all you ever do is ask questions. Why not contribute to your own message?

-JCxHC4life

Re: What Was Your First Coaster? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 6/24/08 2:27:54 PM

> What was the first roller coaster you rode.

OH BOY! DEJA VU! No, not the coaster..the fact this question's been asked before. But that's OK. My first wasa little kiddie coaster at Uncle Milty's, here in Bayonne. It might have had a name, but the park's gone since the early 70's.

Mike

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: What Was Your First Coaster? by kingofthecoasters2 at 6/24/08 3:29:27 PM

My first serious coaster was the Incredible Hulk.But my first coaster was the Flying Unicorn.

Re: What Was Your First Coaster? by kingofthecoasters2 at 6/24/08 3:31:32 PM

just trying the pic adder out. User Submitted Picture

Re: What Was Your First Coaster? by kingofthecoasters2 at 6/24/08 3:33:49 PM

http://http://rcdb.com/ig729.htm?picture=2

Re: What Was Your First Coaster? by coaster_craver18 at 6/24/08 4:11:20 PM

The Mamba at Worlds of Fun, it was great!

Re: What Was Your First Coaster? by kingading at 6/24/08 4:44:21 PM

The Cyclone at Palisades Park, N.J. in 1968.

Re: What Was Your First Coaster? by coastermom coastermom Profile at 6/24/08 5:22:40 PM

My VERY first one at age 6 was the rollercoaster at Playland on the Boulevard in North East Philadelphia.

My first BIG coaster was "The Coaster" a.k.a "Thunderhawk" at Dorney Park when I was 12.

Re: What Was Your First Coaster? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 6/24/08 6:08:59 PM

It's been a few years since this question was last posted here. Mine was the Shooting Star at Cincinnati's Coney Island. I was eight years old. Coney Island closed and moved to Kings Island in 1972. The Beast was the result of KI's effort to duplicate the Shooting Star.

Re: What Was Your First Coaster? by Jim-Douglas-Jr Jim-Douglas-Jr Profile at 6/24/08 7:02:37 PM

WOW! That was some old woodie! Someone ought to rebuild THAT bad boy!

Mine was the Cedar Creek Mine Ride (Cedar Point). We were both born in 1969 and it was the first one I was tall enough to go on.

Re: What Was Your First Coaster? by Erik_Prachar Erik_Prachar Profile at 6/24/08 7:21:49 PM

My first roller coaster was the Zyklon at the Western Fair grounds, here in London, Ontario. I was completely terrified at the time, but would love to try it again now. Too bad it's been demolished!

Re: What Was Your First Coaster? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 6/24/08 7:31:10 PM

> WOW! That was some old woodie! Someone ought to rebuild
> THAT bad boy!

Actually, my favorite was the Wildcat at the same park. It is on the right side of this photo. It was torn down in 1964, but was recreated at Kings Dominion.

The coaster at the bottom of the photo is the Skyrocket, which was replaced by the Shooting Star around 1945 (a bit before my time). As I understand, one of the coasters at CW is a copy of the Shooting Star.

Re: What Was Your First Coaster? by imagineer imagineer Profile at 6/24/08 8:20:22 PM

BBW at BGW/E. I was six.

This ride still holds a spot near and dear to my heart and is one of my all time favorites. It has a lot of sentimental value to me, but that last drop and run to the station really pack a punch even with trims on the drop.

Zac

Re: What Was Your First Coaster? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 6/24/08 9:38:15 PM

> My VERY first one at age 6 was the rollercoaster at
> Playland on the Boulevard in North East Philadelphia.

> My first BIG coaster was "The Coaster" a.k.a
> "Thunderhawk" at Dorney Park when I was 12.

You made me realize I should have expanded my post above to include my first "BIG" coaster, too. It was probably Mr. Twister and/or Wildcat at the original Elitch Gardens when I was about nine.

Mike

Re: What Was Your First Coaster? by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 6/25/08 11:30:37 AM

First coaster was a Miler (or similar) kiddie coaster that used to be at Funderland in Sacramento (big park with the zoo, pony rides, golf course, and a small kid-friendly amusement center)

First "big" coaster would have been Willard's Whizzer at Mariott's in California the year it opened- 1976, when I was 6. Boy was that thing scary at that point in time. :) Getting to ride the one in Chicago again a few years ago was a really special treat, essentially reliving my childhood.

Re: What Was Your First Coaster? by mapew9319 mapew9319 Profile at 6/25/08 11:51:55 AM

My first roller coaster was the Comet, at Hershey Park. It was the only roller coaster I was tall enough for. Unfortunatly, I had to wait another 2 years to ride another coaster, cause the Predator was 48 inches. I think I was 8 when I rode Predator, back then it was actually an awesome woodie. After that I rode Viper when I was 9, and I also rode Silver comet. When I was 10, I went to Cedar Point and rode Millenium Force, Then I rode Magnum XL-200.

From then on, I was completely addicted.

Re: What Was Your First Coaster? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 6/25/08 2:41:31 PM

> Whizzer at Mariott's in California the year it opened-
> 1976, when I was 6. Boy was that thing scary

That means you were born around the time I was drafted.
You youngsters these days! ;-)

Re: What Was Your First Coaster? by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 6/25/08 9:12:32 PM

My first coaster I think was Great Thunder Mountain Railroad at WDW when I was (i think) 8. Had a blast on it!

MY first big coaster was Viper (now Greezed Lightnin' at SFKK) at SFOG. Hated it to no end, but was reunited with it a couple years ago and loved it.

My first big full-circuit coaster was Top Gun (now Flight Deck -_-) at KI. I LOVED it to no end. Still do.

-Josh

Re: What Was Your First Coaster? by kingofthecoasters2 at 6/25/08 11:12:55 PM

> My first coaster I think was Great Thunder Mountain
> Railroad at WDW when I was (i think) 8. Had a blast on it!

> MY first big coaster was Viper (now Greezed Lightnin' at
> SFKK) at SFOG. Hated it to no end, but was reunited with it
> a couple years ago and loved it.

> My first big full-circuit coaster was Top Gun (now Flight
> Deck -_-) at KI. I LOVED it to no end. Still do.

> -Josh

OMG.I love Flight Deck so much.It is one off my fav rides.

Re: What Was Your First Coaster? by rossrich66 rossrich66 Profile at 6/28/08 1:01:49 PM

My first coaster was the Matterhorn at Disneyland in 1975. I remember going on it twice that day.

Then in 1976 when Marriott's Great America in Santa Clara just opened, I went during Spring Break and got hooked after riding these two classics that are no more:

Willard's Whizzer and Turn of the Century...

TOC scared the crap out of me. Being a small nine year old kid and sitting in the back car was terrifying. I was out of my seat the whole time!

Re: What Was Your First Coaster? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 6/28/08 3:48:59 PM

Mine is Big Apple at Astroland in either 84' or 85' before the turntable was installed.

Hey Eric, I dunno if you remember this thread or not, but rcdb recently updated the history of Big Apple. I finally got the "creho closure" that I need. :)

www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/forums/cgi/forum1.cgi?read=171356

www.rcdb.com/id284.htm

Re: What Was Your First Coaster? by mark_markrobertson at 7/11/08 9:20:34 AM

My first roller coaster was the Schussboomer at Worlds of Fun.It was only about 70 feet tall and went 50 mph but for a six year old kid it was the coolest.

Re: What Was Your First Coaster? by GCS2000 GCS2000 Profile at 7/11/08 1:25:25 PM

Scooby-Doo at Kings Dominion. Can't remember how old I was (6 maybe) but my mom put me on it for the first time about 5 mins after we at lunch. Guess what I puked all over the place big time for at least 20 or 30 mins. Thanks mom!

Because of that I never really rode coasters again until I was about 18 maybe 20 when I got talked into riding Shockwave at KD.

I kind of consider both coasters my first ride in some way because ever since I rode Shockwave I have ridden basically everything I can get to so it's the one that really got me into coaster riding.

Greg

Re: What Was Your First Coaster? by zirbo at 7/11/08 5:07:45 PM

My first roller coaster was Psycho Mouse at Great America (CA) but my first upside down coaster was Kong at SFDK. That's what convinced me to go on Medusa, which is one of my favorites :D

Re: What Was Your First Coaster? by Tailford at 7/11/08 6:52:39 PM

first wooden: racer at kings island
first steel: top thrill dragster at cedar point

Re: What Was Your First Coaster? by Mikey_Mad Mikey_Mad Profile at 7/13/08 9:20:01 AM

The Blue Streak at Cedar Point in 1967. I was 5 years old (and man,did they keep checking me with that striped stick!), the wait was about...2 hours with the line running back to the midway.

Mikey Mad

Re: What Was Your First Coaster? by DS1028 at 7/13/08 11:00:35 AM

Hey, My First regular coaster was Rolling Thunder at Six Flags in Jackson New Jersey. My first up-side-down coaster was Lock-Ness monster at Bush Gardens in VA.

Re: What Was Your First Coaster? by moomonkey60 moomonkey60 Profile at 7/16/08 4:33:57 PM

My first coaster was one of those kiddie coasters that go in a circle. But seriously, I'm pretty sure the first real coaster I went on was the Viper at Darien Lake.

Re: What Was Your First Coaster? by Link Link Profile at 7/17/08 6:49:53 PM

The Screechin' Eagle at Americana/Lasourdville Lake amusement park.

Wasn't intimidated by it one bit. It was instant love for me.

Re: What Was Your First Coaster? by mafan mafan Profile at 7/17/08 7:31:28 PM

My first coaster was the Iron Dragon at Cedar Point. Then the Cedar Creek Mine Ride then the Blue Streak. So all my first roller coasters were at Cedar Point all in one trip.

Re: What Was Your First Coaster? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/27/08 8:37:49 PM

My first coaster was Lightnin' Loops at GA in NJ. I barely made the height restriction and my father forced me to go on it. I was around 7 and hysterically crying the entire time. I was trying to get them to let me off on the other side before it went backwards and they said they couldn't. I seriously don't know how I love coasters today after my horrific beginning! He forced me on the Loch Ness Monster too (but that one I was a little older and secretly liked it but pretended I didn't:-)!

Re: What Was Your First Coaster? by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 7/28/08 12:36:21 AM

My first coaster was Space Mountain, WDW, in 1976, right after it first opened. I was 6 at the time. My mom's friend took both of us (she had never ridden it either as it was new at the time) on it and it scared the living hell out of me. From that moment on I developed a terrible coaster phobia - one so bad I really couldn't even watch tv commercials for new coasters! And of course I stayed out of amusement parks for the most part, though when I was 13 or so, my cousin "double dared" me to ride the Rebel Yell at KD with him, which I did - and I hated it - brought back some bad memories to say the least.

I didn't get back into coasters until someone practically dragged me onto the Mind Eraser at SFA in 1997.

Moral of the story - don't ever force anyone - especially kids - onto coasters if they don't want to go - and if you ever find yourself trying to get a coasterphobe over their fears don't start 'em off on an inverted.....

Re: What Was Your First Coaster? by millennium_force_cp millennium_force_cp Profile at 7/28/08 6:04:50 PM

Magnum XL 200 at Cedar Point was my first and I loved it.

History of the Beast and its link to Shooting Star by RobLec RobLec Profile at 7/29/08 10:43:59 AM

The following article appeared in the latest newsletter from Kings Island:
http://www.visitkingsisland.com/news/detail.cfm?item_id=742

History of the Beast and its link to Shooting Star

Re: History of the Beast and its link to Shooting Star by RobLec RobLec Profile at 7/29/08 10:50:03 AM

Sorry, wrong link in the title line.
The correct article ID is 742 (the top line, not the bottom one).

The correct link!

Re: What Was Your First Coaster? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 7/29/08 10:55:25 AM

> Moral of the story - don't ever force anyone - especially
> kids - onto coasters if they don't want to go - and if you
> ever find yourself trying to get a coasterphobe over their
> fears don't start 'em off on an inverted.....

When my younger son was afraid to ride Vortex at KI, I told him that it used to be named the Teddy Bear, but they changed the name because no one wanted to ride it.

Re: What Was Your First Coaster? by bruceturner01 at 7/30/08 12:15:04 PM

My first coaster was the Giant Coaster at Paragon Park. I first ventured on to this ride when I was 13 years old. Most of the friends and relatives I know in the area have at least riden it once. Most people that have riden the Giant Coaster wear their ride like it was a badge of honor ,but for some people that was their only ride on a rollercoaster in their entire lives.

This coaster was a thrill machine from the very start of its existance, up until it's sale to Six Flags America ,Largo MD in 1985. Once they re-located it , they started to tinker with it. The put a helix back on to this coaster, but they did away with the side to side bunny hops after the second hill, and made the first drop more shallow by decreasing the drop from 95 feet to 80.

When I rode this coaster at it's new location I was disappointed, most of the elements that I loved about this coaster either were tamed or removed. I can at least give them credit, they did save this coaster from the wood pile.

That's my story and opinion about my first rollercoaster.

Bruce.......................

Paragon Park Giant Coaster

Re: What Was Your First Coaster? by Subzero15 at 7/30/08 4:13:58 PM

Oh My my first coaster. I Remember! It was Dragon head Coaster! I rode it when i was 5 or 6! But now im a Thrill seeker.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.