Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Mission Space @ Epcot

Mission Space @ Epcot

BRossano23 BRossano23 Profile

Posted:
2/20/08 at
1:18:11 PM

I am not very sure what this ride is. I have heard some bad things about it. If possible, please specifically explain how this ride works. Thanks

-Bill

Re: Mission Space @ Epcot by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 2/20/08 1:40:09 PM

Mission Space is a simulator ride. There are I believe four different simulator rooms, each with five individual four-passenger cars facing inwards, in a circle that are attached via arms to an axle in the center.

During the ride, at times, the individual cars spin around in the circle at a very high speed. From what I understand the cars are always spinning, but the speed at which they spin varies depending on the scene.

The individual cars are also able to rock or tilt back in forth in a controlled manner varying where the weight of the rider is placed against the seat. Lying on your back, slightly forward, seating position.

Inside the cars the riders are seated four abreast with an over-the-shoulder restraint. Once locked in, the front of the car closes in towards the riders. If you're claustrophobic like I am sometimes, it can be a nightmare.

Directly in front of each riders face (within 18 inches) is a 12" LCD screen that is surrounded by various buttons and lights forming what appears to be a control panel. The idea is that you're on board a rocket going into space. During the ride you watch the events of takeoff and completing a space mission on the screen. Each rider is assigned a task to complete (button to push) during a different part of the mission.

When the vehicles close up the best way to describe them is a four-man, seated coffin.

On the "green version" the vehicles do not spin around as described above. They only tilt back and forth simulating take off (tilt riders so they're on their back) and weightlessness (tilt car slightly forward so you're kind of starting to fall of your seat). In the "orange version" the vehicles do spin and you experience intense G-forces.

My first experience with Mission Space was in May 2006. I rode the full-version and walked off with a horrible headache and feeling ill.

I rode again this past November and I panicked for other reasons. I was having problems with the small space (claustrophobia), and the restraint and g-forces made me feel like I couldn't breath. I wanted to close my eyes, but then I wanted to throw up.

Honestly, I'm not a fan. Disney attractions usually are amazing and there is nothing magical or special about this one in my opinion.

Eric

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Mission Space @ Epcot by Katie Katie Profile at 2/20/08 1:42:50 PM

Basically the ride is a spinning centrifuge that acts like a launching space shuttle.

A few people have died on the ride, but only due to pre-exsisting conditions.

From what I understand now one side (2 shuttles) have been "tamed" down and the other two are the standard ride that it has been since it opened.

Re: Mission Space @ Epcot by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 2/20/08 3:09:58 PM

It really depends on the person whether they like this ride or not. I personally loved it! It was so fun for me. I personally would never ride the green side for fear of being bored to death. I like them there G Forces! WOOHOO!

If you ever ride it, I hope you enjoy it!

Warning though: You WILL feel very dizzy after riding. Or at least most people will.

Fun ride. I'm sorry you didn't like it Eric. I can understand how the enclosed space can reek havoc on someone with claustraphobia.

-Josh

Re: Mission Space @ Epcot by BRossano23 BRossano23 Profile at 2/21/08 1:19:04 PM

> Basically the ride is a spinning centrifuge that acts like
> a launching space shuttle.

I have heard "spinning centrifuge" used before to describe the ride. What exactly is a spinning centrifuge? Is it like the Gravitron or Rotor rides that stick you to the wall?

-Bill

Re: Mission Space @ Epcot by RobLec RobLec Profile at 2/21/08 4:45:45 PM

> I have heard "spinning centrifuge" used before to
> describe the ride. What exactly is a spinning centrifuge?
> Is it like the Gravitron or Rotor rides that stick you to
> the wall?

Yes, except you are seated. The G-force from being "stuck to the wall" simulates the added G's of liftoff in a space launch.

Re: Mission Space @ Epcot by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 2/21/08 11:47:50 PM

A centrifuge better describes a Rotor or Gravitron because in a centrifuge the object that is spinning is loose within the chamber. A salad spinner is a centrifuge.

The difference here is that there are actual cars attached to arms that are attached to the center axis.

Eric

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Mission Space @ Epcot by BRossano23 BRossano23 Profile at 2/25/08 1:18:27 PM

Thanks to those for their informative and timely responses. Also, your personal opinions and experiences were helpful.

-Bill

Re: Mission Space @ Epcot by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 2/25/08 2:00:34 PM

Mission Space is certainly interesting. It's the one ride that I won't do more than once a trip. I can handle one ride on the "intense" (aka "spinning") side of it, and come off it ok, but knowing that something doesn't quite feel right, though that'll disappear. But two rides in a row on it would knock me for a major loop and probably put me out of commission for a while.

That's something that I can't really say about most of the other spinning rides out there. Gravitrons, rotors, etc usually only get to me a bit after 3 or more rides on them, or a very, very long ride cycle.

It's a neat ride though, and something that everyone, short of those having claustrophobia issues, should try, imo.

If you're still not sure what the centrifuge concept is, look up astronaut centrifuge training and you'll figure it out pretty quick. Then imagine doing that in a cabin designed to simulate the small compact area of a space capsule and you start to really get the idea.

Re: Mission Space @ Epcot by partyguy190 partyguy190 Profile at 2/26/08 12:22:18 PM

What about the green side? I havent heard from anyone thats tried it. I get dizzy on spinning rides after about 1 minute but might try some anti motion sickness meds from walmart and ride the green side. Id like to hear how disorienting those 4 minutes are. I would simply vomit and sleep all day after trying the orange team for sure.

Re: Mission Space @ Epcot by Link Link Profile at 2/26/08 1:22:11 PM

I think the nausea is caused by the fact that the balance center in your inner ear knows you are spinning but your eyes don't have any reference to gage your rotation.

Re: Mission Space @ Epcot by KPBook04 KPBook04 Profile at 2/26/08 3:39:46 PM

I generally don't do simulators or spinners well. So, naturally, I opted for the Green Side for my one and only ride. Even though you don't spin on the Green Side, if you have trouble with motion simulators, I wouldn't reccommend it. I never felt ill, but I definitely felt uncomfortable for a few hours after riding. I could only imagine what the Orange Side would do to me, and it 'ain't' pretty! And, like Eric, I too, felt a little claustrophobic. Not enough to panic, but definitely not feeling great. So, if you don't mind cramped areas and simulators, the Green Side should work for you. I seriously doubt I'll ever ride it again, and I KNOW that I'll NEVER be riding the Orange Side!

A couple of personal observations on the ride -- by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 2/27/08 2:16:46 AM

> I am not very sure what this ride is. I have heard some bad
> things about it. If possible, please specifically explain
> how this ride works. Thanks

> -Bill

Below is an excerpt from a post I made a few weeks ago regarding my take on Mission: Space/Epcot. Others have explained *how* it works. I'll share how it *feels.*

The ride is fantastic.

The scare (for me) was/is real.

Here are two excerpts from posts I've made about Mission: Space:

"...Mission:Space scared me physically enough not to ride it again. My chest felt like it was going to explode and that truly frightened me. Thoughts of, "Oh my gosh. I'm gonna die at an amusement park in front of my kids," kept running through my mind as the 'pain' (and I use that term loosely in lieu of another descriptor that eludes me right now) gripped my chest. It was more 'force' than 'pain' I guess, but it hurt nonetheless.

~MommaBeast, who has passed all physicals and does not--to her knowledge--have any heart condition, pre-existing or otherwise.

~~~and~~~

"...WHAT'S HOT - EPCOT CENTER

1. Soarin'! I wish I had this ride in my backyard. How exhilarating! Truly a Disney accomplishment NOT to be missed by anyone visiting Epcot. I could've re-ridden this one numerous times w/o ever tiring of it. Kids enjoyed it very much, too.

2. Mission: Space (the more intense side) --- Oh my gosh does this ride live up to *every* inch of hype it's ever received!! I can say with certainty that this is ONE RIDE that honest-to-God made me question whether or not my body could handle the G-forces. For a moment in time, I was scared that perhaps I'd bitten off more than I could chew. The quarters inside your personal 'capsule' are >>>thisclose<<< which made me uncomfortable as I'm not a fan of tight spaces. But that was nothin' compared to the tremendous pressure I felt on my chest as we 'rocketed skyward' on take-off. WOW oh WOW is all I can say! Unbelievable. Awesome. A Must-See/Must-Do. But definitely NOT for the faint-of-heart. We didn't even want to waste our time on the mild side. Give us the MAX is our motto!

In closing, this is not a ride to be taken lightly in my opinion. Best not to approach it with a cavalier attitude. It packs a punch...a punch some of us feel is too intense for a re-ride (that would be moi). But am I ever glad I did it!

~MommaBeast

WDW TR

Re: Mission Space @ Epcot by Jeffrub at 7/27/12 4:55:57 PM
I just went on mission space, but read your posts before doing so and all the noise about deaths and such. So I tried the green side first w my 13 year daughter and wife. I'm 54 and have most of the things they say should keep u off this ride; high blood pressure, neck and back problems, but I'm not pregnant ...

IIt was cool, but not very intense so I then tried the orange side w my daughter. Even on the green side they try to talk u out of going on the ride, but on the orange side they really do. And they were clear about the difference of the two sides; spinning.

It was fun and a bit disorienting, but that is all. Most of the people I see posting about this ride sound like a bunch of babies that probably cried on rockin roller coaster and peed on tower of terror ;-)

Re: Mission Space @ Epcot by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/27/12 5:52:56 PM
Damn, 4 yrs later?

anyway, I rode this attraction before they had the green/less intense version. I guess I have a high tolerance and didn't feel any major disorientation or such. I think the ride is great. I just hope they don't try to 'neuter' it like they did with Xtra'terror'estrial at MK when they made it stich's great escape. Sure Disney is about families, but they should have some more rides for older guests.

Re: Mission Space @ Epcot by christians1998 at 10/15/12 10:20:48 PM
I thought that ride was amazing and super realistic.I felt that if I pressed the wrong button then I would kill myself.its not supposed to be magical its for the adrenaline junkies.
Re: Mission Space @ Epcot by christians1998 at 10/15/12 10:34:23 PM
I thought that ride was amazing and super realistic.I felt that if I pressed the wrong button then I would kill myself.its not supposed to be magical its for the adrenaline junkies.
Re: Mission Space @ Epcot by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 10/16/12 1:09:08 AM
Some of my rides, there were only 3 people, so it doesn't really matter if you didn't press the button when told. Everything would be 'set' automatically.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.