Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Height Requirements Too Much?

Height Requirements Too Much?

mapew9319 mapew9319 Profile

Posted:
1/12/08 at
8:38:11 PM

Darien Lake seems to over do it when it comes to height requirments. The Ride of Steel's height limit got raised to 54 inches after someone got ejected on a bunnyhop. But the thing is, the person who got ejected was over 54 inches. Thats when I started getting a little upset w/ Darien Lake. But now I think they've gone a little to far. The U.F.O., (a stand-up spining ride that spins you around until the g's stick you against the wall) has recentley been raised to something very high, it might of been 60 inches. I did't hear anything of an accident, and I don't understand why there needs to be a high height requirement. 48 was reasonable before but you probably don't even need to be that tall, the g's hold you in no matter what. Anyway, do you think this is taking it a bit to far.

Re: Height Requirements Too Much? by Shaft_STL Shaft_STL Profile at 1/12/08 11:28:18 PM

Are you a ride inspector, government regulator, or tax assessor?

I'm not, so I don't have an opinion. Safety matters need to be left to the experts, not armchair enthusiasts.

edit - I should have also included insurance companies into my post.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Height Requirements Too Much? by sftg11 at 4/8/08 2:24:05 AM

Saftey does come first but adding seatbelts to a merry go round is overboard definetely i don't have an opinion on height restrictions the seatbelts on the merry-go-round at Darien Lake is ridiculous i wonder if they will be there this season

Re: Height Requirements Too Much? by coastermom coastermom Profile at 4/8/08 2:55:18 AM

When the put seatbelts on the toilets then BE VERY AFRAID!!!!

Re: Height Requirements Too Much? by hersheyworker hersheyworker Profile at 4/8/08 12:01:31 PM

> When the put seatbelts on the toilets then BE VERY
> AFRAID!!!!

First of all can I just say that comment made me chuckle a bit.

And to answer your question, maybe yes, maybe no, I feel like they maybe made a better decision to raise the height limit after the ejection incident and figured it is much safer to raise the height for the ride.

Re: Height Requirements Too Much? by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 4/9/08 2:35:46 AM

> When the put seatbelts on the toilets then BE VERY
> AFRAID!!!!

You should try putting a seatbelt on your toilet, I have--and it's alright. :P

Vertigo at Walibi Belguim)

Re: Height Requirements Too Much? by Mikey_Mad Mikey_Mad Profile at 4/9/08 11:00:31 AM

> Are you a ride inspector, government regulator, or tax
> assessor?

> I'm not, so I don't have an opinion. Safety matters need to
> be left to the experts, not armchair enthusiasts.

**We should continue the practice of questioning government regulators and tax assessors. As we have seen with the Kentucky Kingdom thread, sometimes laws are passed more out of political expediency than sense. A politician needs to look like he/she has been proactive when a safety concerns arises. It helps everyone feel good. Its not unfair for the common folk to look for the common sense in the policies and regulations. This is after all, not China.

Mikey Mad

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Height Requirements Too Much? by Shaft_STL Shaft_STL Profile at 4/9/08 1:18:04 PM

> **We should continue the practice of questioning government
> regulators and tax assessors. As we have seen with Kentucky
> Kingdom thread, sometimes laws are passed more out of
> political expediency then sense. A politician needs to look
> like he/she has been proactive when a safety concern
> arises. It helps everyone feel good. Its not unfair for the
> common folk to look for the common sense in the policies
> and regulations. This is after all, not China.

I understand your point, but Darien Lake's decisions were made by the park rather than by a newly enacted law. My guess is that their insurance company put pressure on them to heighten the minimums. My real point was that there is more than meets the eye when it comes to determining safety guidelines for parks.

Re: Height Requirements Too Much? by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 4/11/08 10:14:37 AM

And yes, even those seatbelts on carousels have a purpose. Having seen a small child fall off of a horse, when the seatbelt would have kept them in place, and having seen teenagers horsing around and almost running in circles on a carousel out of view of the attendant when the belt would have at least provided some means of holding them back from such stupidity, I have no problems with the belts on merry go rounds and carousels.

Yes there are sometimes that I think it's a bit overboard, adn I don't understand why they put in some of the limits that they do, but I'd still far rather the parks erred on the side of going overboard on safety than compromising to much on it.

Re: Height Requirements Too Much? by ThrillRider4Lyfe ThrillRider4Lyfe Profile at 4/11/08 2:23:37 PM

Although the ride might not go that fast...we have to remember they put the seatbelts on for a reason. Quite sure kids have fallen off several times. I use to work in a theme park and we enforced crazy rules. The rules seemed stupid, but they were thought of because some fool actually did it and got hurt. "No sitting, flipping, or WALKING on the chains in the line" that may sound stupid but I've seen people do all three. Common sense isn't natural to everyone.