Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Ruby Pier

Ruby Pier

MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile

Posted:
12/17/07 at
1:41:43 AM

I bought the video a long, long time ago but never got around to watching it until tonite.

"Five People You Meet in Heaven" is a movie centered around a small potatoes amusement park named Ruby Pier.

I watched the credits for the actual location of this amusement park but I didn't see one mentioned.

Was this just a set built for the movie?

~MommaBeast
p.s. It figures I'd pick THIS movie to watch tonite. It's not like I'm jones'n for coasters or anything...gah! Had no idea the movie's theme was a beachside amusement park!!

User Submitted Picture
Re: Ruby Pier by osusig1 osusig1 Profile at 12/17/07 7:58:57 AM

Take a look at this Oh Invincible One! :)

The fictional amusement park "Ruby Pier" where Eddie works seems to draw many parallels to the real life amusement park "Luna Park" located in Coney Island. These parallels include...

*Both parks are named after people close to the original owner
Luna Park for owner's sister Luna
Ruby Pier for owner's wife Ruby (one of the people Eddie meets in heaven)
*Both parks had fires that lead to the loss of the original ownership
Ruby Park's fire leads to the selling of the park
Because of the expensive costs, Luna Park is let go by the original owner(s) (not sold away)
*Both parks had/have very grand entrances
seem to be described (by the book and in pictures of Luna Park) as very similar entrances by the large scale and grand arches/domes.

gratis wikipedia. :) - Paul

Thanks, Paul! by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 12/17/07 8:34:31 AM

> Take a look at this Oh Invincible One! :)

LOL~!
:>)

> The fictional amusement park "Ruby Pier" where
> Eddie works seems to draw many parallels to the real life
> amusement park "Luna Park" located in Coney
> Island. These parallels include...

Thanks for the info, Paul! From your reply, I searched Google for pix of the 'famed Luna Park/Ruby Pier' entrance.

I learned that several "Luna Parks" opened after the success of the Coney Island operation. Others were in Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Australia. The link is to the Australian version; the image is of the NY site.

Again, thanks! I love to learn new things!

~MommaBeast User Submitted Picture

Luna Park Entrance