Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Great America's GCI Wooden Coaster Layout

Great America's GCI Wooden Coaster Layout

John_Knotts John_Knotts Profile

Posted:
11/18/07 at
3:30:24 PM

As it appeared on Screamscape:

http://www.screamscape.com/iaapa/html/iaapa_9.htm

I must say, it looks like this park is getting a winner!

Re: Great America's GCI Wooden Coaster Layout by junebugg junebugg Profile at 11/18/07 3:34:36 PM

That layout looks great!

Good to see California getting another GCII coaster!

Re: Great America's GCI Wooden Coaster Layout by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 11/18/07 4:25:26 PM

That looks awsome! The only thing is...is 850 pph capacity good? I've no clue what is good and what is bad, but that seems low to me. Is it?

Either way, it should be one awsome ride. Too bad I won't get to go to California for a long long time. Oh well.

-Josh

Re: Great America's GCI Wooden Coaster Layout by Shaft_STL Shaft_STL Profile at 11/18/07 9:03:56 PM

Great looking layout! Very exciting news. User Submitted Picture

Re: Great America's GCI Wooden Coaster Layout by cjeagle35 at 11/18/07 9:12:20 PM

Looks to be an excellent coaster.

Maverick to CP
Renegade to Valleyfair
Patriot to Worlds of Fun
Sierra Sidewinder to Knotts
Behemoth to Canada's Wonderland
Dominator to Kings Dominion
A GCI to Great America
The rumored to B&M hyper to Kings Island

I got to say I'm extremely impressed with CF's coaster decisions. They seem to be giving either of their parks high quality attractions that perfectly fit the parks they are going into. Well done Cedar Fair, 2009 looks to be an exciting year.

Re: Great America's GCI Wooden Coaster Layout by AirBear AirBear Profile at 11/20/07 1:18:05 PM

I've got to admit, that looks like it could be a really nice ride! A new GCI would be a great addition to Great America and would make me very happy. Still, with the ongoing debate over the SF49er stadium, I'll wait a bit before I get too excited over this. If the stadium issue is settled favorably for Cedar Fair, or I see the actual start of vertical construction on the ride, you can bet I'll be doing cartwheels and yelling for joy!

Rick W - AirBear (trying not to drool too much over that layout)

Re: Great America's GCI Wooden Coaster Layout by zirbo at 11/21/07 8:51:39 PM

That looks awesome! I can't wait for 09 to get over there and ride it. finally a new coaster for GA!

Re: Great America's GCI Wooden Coaster Layout by drachen drachen Profile at 2/16/12 3:22:24 PM

Remember this rumor? Sounds like it's on again...

From the LA Times

"After a decade of difficulty and uncertainty, California's Great America has dusted off plans for an oft-delayed wooden roller coaster in hopes of reversing the Santa Clara amusement park's declining fortunes.

Scheduled to debut in 2013, the Great Coasters International wooden coaster would send riders whirling into a one-of-a-kind twist around the Star Tower observation deck near the park's entrance, officials confirmed.

The 3,100-foot-long ride would include a terrain-hugging S-turn, a high-speed station fly-by and a series of zero-G camelbacks and bunny hops at speeds topping 50 mph aboard Millennium Flyer trains.

Originally scheduled to open in 2009, the 108-foot-tall cloverleaf-shaped coaster was repeatedly delayed over noise concerns, a contentious football stadium proposal and the pending sale of the Bay Area amusement park.

In December, parent company Cedar Fair announced plans to remain as the long-term owner of California's Great America after the sale of the park fell through. A month later, Cedar Fair signed an agreement allowing construction of the San Francisco 49ers' new football stadium in the amusement park's overflow parking lot.

That leaves the noise concerns of neighbors, which could resurface on March 7 when city officials begin reviewing plans for the proposed coaster. Last year, the park received an extension of a previously approved height variance for the ride, according to Screamscape.

California's Great America has removed three coasters in the past decade, a period when the park added no new coasters, according to Roller Coaster Database."

Copyright © 2012, Los Angeles Times

I'm glad to hear this. Cedar Fair is keeping the park for the time-being, and it needs a new attraction.

Part of me was hoping that Dorney would get a version of this ride, since Great America had scrapped it. Hopefully Dorney will follow suit in 2013 as well.

The link below is to the article, which has pictures.

LA Times - Great America Wooden Coaster