Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > -edit- *NM*

-edit- *NM*

speed_of_fright speed_of_fright Profile

Posted:
10/11/07 at
12:19:36 AM

-edit-

* This post was modified at 4/7/14 7:50:04 PM *

Re: Best Themed Roller Coasters by junebugg junebugg Profile at 10/11/07 12:23:52 AM

> What are the best themed rollercoasters? Most rollercoaster
> themes are a color scheme and a logo with very little else.
> There must be much better than this.

Have you ever been to a Disney park?

Their coasters have more than a logo and color scheme.

-edit- *NM* by speed_of_fright speed_of_fright Profile at 10/11/07 12:38:14 AM
-edit-

* This post was modified at 4/7/14 7:50:46 PM *

Re: Best Themed Roller Coasters by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 10/11/07 12:39:19 AM

> What are the best themed rollercoasters? Most rollercoaster
> themes are a color scheme and a logo with very little else.
> There must be much better than this.

Um, Dueling Dragons comes to mind...yeah, check out the Disney and US/IoA parks.

Expedition Everest is really themed to the hilt.

Jurassic Park: The Ride --- now there's some theming for ya.

Heck, even Loch Ness Monster @ BGE's got some pretty decent theming to it.

There are many now that I think of it.

~MommaBeast

-edit- *NM* by speed_of_fright speed_of_fright Profile at 10/11/07 12:45:31 AM
-edit-

* This post was modified at 4/7/14 7:51:18 PM *

Re: Best Themed Roller Coasters by junebugg junebugg Profile at 10/11/07 12:49:57 AM

> The only coaster I remember them having is Space Mountain
> which is a dark room with little lights for stars and
> blasting music iirc.

Well is that not more than just a logo and color scheme?

-edit- *NM* by speed_of_fright speed_of_fright Profile at 10/11/07 1:09:10 AM
-edit-

* This post was modified at 4/7/14 7:53:23 PM *

Re: Best Themed Roller Coasters by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 10/11/07 1:15:31 AM

> I finally went on LochNess this season twice and it is
> pretty devoid of a theme. It fits the description of the
> typical coaster in my first post.

Really?

Gosh, I'll have to ask junebugg our local BGE expert what happened to all that 'theming' I remember as you walk through the Q.

It was pretty detailed as I recall...

~MommaBeast

Re: Best Themed Roller Coasters by junebugg junebugg Profile at 10/11/07 1:24:47 AM

> Gosh, I'll have to ask junebugg our local BGE expert what
> happened to all that 'theming' I remember as you walk
> through the Q.

> It was pretty detailed as I recall...

> ~MommaBeast
>

It's still there.

I really don't know WTF this cat is looking for in theming. You mentioned BGE and we both mentioned Disney. There are some in Europe like Nemesis in Alton Towers and Black Mamba at Phantasialand. But then he/she would find a way to say those aren't themed at all.

-edit- *NM* by speed_of_fright speed_of_fright Profile at 10/11/07 4:06:25 AM
-edit-

* This post was modified at 4/7/14 7:54:03 PM *

Re: Best Themed Roller Coasters by CarolH at 10/11/07 6:54:15 AM

Mystery Mine at Dollywood is themed very nicely, as is Epedition Everest, Wildfire at SDC and both Mummys to name a few.

Carol

theming, schmeming.... by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 10/11/07 7:21:58 AM

> There are some things on the line but not much. Besides I
> am referring to the theme on the ride and not so much the
> line. On the coaster there really isn't anything to suggest
> it's about Nessie.

With coasters travelling at rapid speeds, theming 'along the course' would be a waste of money for the most part. The idea is to immerse yourself into the 'fantasy' or 'theme' of the ride through the Q before you board.

Other than dark/sim rides like Spiderman, It's a Small World, etc., I don't know of any actual coasters that are themed on the ride course itself. But then again, it's early and my brain is not hitting off all eight yet, lol.

Is Big Bad Wolf semi-themed along its route...? The poles you come close to...isn't that supposed to represent the village and/or townspeople?

~MommaBeast

Re: Best Themed Roller Coasters by Coaster3.16 at 10/11/07 7:39:54 AM

> What are the best themed rollercoasters? Most rollercoaster
> themes are a color scheme and a logo with very little else.
> There must be much better than this.

I actually thought this was a good question. The ones that pop up in my head have all been mentioned:

Big Bad Wolf is my favorite, running through the town
Mummy
Expedition Everest
You could mention Rock 'n Rollercoaster, too

ETA: I kind of see your point about Space Mountain, as there isn't much to the ride itself. Flight of Fear rides are like that, too.

And I'd put Dueling Dragons here, too, but the top of the lift kills it for me.

- Jeff

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Best Themed Roller Coasters by MABrider MABrider Profile at 10/11/07 7:57:01 AM

What about Disney's Big Thunder Mountain Railroad(s)?

I always make it a point to get at least one back seat ride so I can see more of all the "goings on" during the ride. From the back you have more time to view everything. I won't explain that, it's just fact.

Mike B.

Re: Best Themed Roller Coasters by hersheyworker hersheyworker Profile at 10/11/07 10:59:27 AM

How about Volcano: The Blast Coaster (I think that's the name) at KD.

If you want to stretch it a little, how about TTD at CP, the trains look like drag cars and they have the stop light to show when you're going to launch.

Re: Best Themed Roller Coasters by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 10/11/07 12:22:51 PM

> How about Volcano: The Blast Coaster (I think that's the
> name) at KD.

> If you want to stretch it a little, how about TTD at CP,
> the trains look like drag cars and they have the stop light
> to show when you're going to launch.

Yeah, I'd say those are well-themed. Especially Volcano. With the fire shooting out the top, and the dark, rocky que line, It's awsome.

With TTD, I think the people make the theme. Everybody standing around watching and cheering, and the stands with people watching make TTD a well-themed coaster.

If you are looking for a ride themed througout, though it's pretty puny, Italian Job would be a good example. Weaving in and out around the cars, the Mini Cooper style trains, and much more really make the ride. If it didn't have the theming, then the experience wouldn't be the same.

Just my thoughts anyways.

-Josh

Re: Best Themed Roller Coasters by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/11/07 12:51:27 PM

> Mystery Mine at Dollywood is themed very nicely, as is
> Epedition Everest, Wildfire at SDC and both Mummys to name
> a few.

I totally agree. I haven't saw Wildfire yet, but I'm not surprised that it has great theming given that it's in a Herschend park.

I dunno what happened to my earlier post on this thread; Someone had mentioned Mummy concerning the great theming, then I said that "Mummy was pretty good, but I'll go with Mystery mine; Those were the original second, and third posts on this thread that just vanished.

Re: Best Themed Roller Coasters by PkD4Life PkD4Life Profile at 10/11/07 2:08:55 PM

I really dont know what this dude is thinking. You cant walk through a Disney park without tripping over themeing. Space Mountain, Rock N Roller Coaster, Everest, Thunder Mountain....they are all themed out.

As far as BGE and the Lochness Monster...throughout the entire que you have boxes and different items for a deep sea type expedition to try to find Nessy. And it may be cheesy but in the que house you have the huge Chinese Dragon on the roof.

Volcano is themed...maybe not on the actual ride but why would you need that for a fast paced coaster? There is nothing more great then seeing the ring of fire come from the top of the mountain esp when its dark out.

But there are a million others...Dueling Dragons is probably the best non-Disney themed coaster...IMO.

Re: Best Themed Roller Coasters by junebugg junebugg Profile at 10/11/07 2:26:11 PM

> But there are a million others...Dueling Dragons is
> probably the best non-Disney themed coaster...IMO.

Dueling Dragons theming is great but it doesn't even come close to Black Mamba in Phantasialand.

Check out the pics on this site:

http://www.coastersandmore.de/rides/blackmamba/blackmamba.php

Re: Best Themed Roller Coasters by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 10/11/07 5:48:27 PM

> But there are a million others...Dueling Dragons is
> probably the best non-Disney themed coaster...IMO.

> Dueling Dragons theming is great but it doesn't even come
> close to Black Mamba in Phantasialand.

> Check out the pics on this site:

>
> http://www.coastersandmore.de/rides/blackmamba/blackmamba.php

Holy crap! I'd never heard of this coaster. That looks AMAZING! Where is Phantasialand?

-Josh

Re: Best Themed Roller Coasters by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/11/07 6:45:18 PM

> What are the best themed rollercoasters? Most rollercoaster
> themes are a color scheme and a logo with very little else.
> There must be much better than this.

Rock and Roller Coaster is themed all the way through the experience pretty nicely..from the queue line through the recording studio and message from Aerosmith..to the "Cadillac limo" themed trains(I even bought the die-cast replica, and I generally don't buy any ride souvenirs except postcards and the occasional t-shirt)...to the signs along the track for various L.A. locations like the Whiskey-A-Go-Go.

Mike

Re: theming, schmeming.... by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 10/11/07 6:54:55 PM

> Other than dark/sim rides like Spiderman, It's a Small
> World, etc., I don't know of any actual coasters that are
> themed on the ride course itself. But then again,
> it's early and my brain is not hitting off all eight yet,
> lol.

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Matterhorn
Expedition Everest
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster
Space Mountain
Gadget's Go Coaster
Goofy's Barnstormer
Revenge of the Mummy
Exterminator
Big Bad Wolf
Adventure Express
Mulholland Madness
Wacky Soap Box Racers

All of those roller coasters have or had themeing on the ride course. There are more.

BTW, what is up with the mention of Jurassic Park The Ride? Water roller coaster? Don't give the credit whores any ideas.

Re: theming, schmeming.... by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 10/11/07 7:43:04 PM

> Other than dark/sim rides like Spiderman, It's a Small
> World, etc., I don't know of any actual coasters that are
> themed on the ride course itself. But then again,
> it's early and my brain is not hitting off all eight yet,
> lol.

> Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
> Matterhorn
> Expedition Everest
> Rock 'n' Roller Coaster
> Space Mountain
> Gadget's Go Coaster
> Goofy's Barnstormer
> Revenge of the Mummy
> Exterminator
> Big Bad Wolf
> Adventure Express
> Mulholland Madness
> Wacky Soap Box Racers

> All of those roller coasters have or had themeing on the
> ride course. There are more.

> BTW, what is up with the mention of Jurassic Park The Ride?
> Water roller coaster? Don't give the credit whores any
> ideas.

Adventure Express

Re: theming, schmeming.... by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 10/11/07 8:09:43 PM

> Adventure Express

Best, most exciting ending on a ride. Ever.

Re: theming, schmeming.... by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/11/07 8:24:38 PM

^^LOL!!!

Re: theming, schmeming.... by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/12/07 4:28:27 PM

> Adventure Express

> Best, most exciting ending on a ride. Ever.

Is that sarcasm I smell? Or FUNNEL CAKE?

Mike

Re: theming, schmeming.... by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 10/12/07 10:36:54 PM

> Is that sarcasm I smell? Or FUNNEL CAKE?

In both cases you might hear them saying... "Now, you will PAY!!!!" :)

Re: Best Themed Roller Coasters by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 11/9/07 9:53:53 PM

Well i guess Montu at BGA has a nice theme being the train goes thru the ruins of some Egyptian temple and such and of course the large 'arch' you walk under to get to the ride itself.

As far as Disney most of you summed it up nicely.

Re: Best Themed Roller Coasters by bratman at 11/10/07 8:01:56 PM

While some purists might not call it a coaster.... Thunder Run at Canada's Wonderland is a themed coaster, with the monster deep in the mountain.

Also... how about the Exterminator at Kennywood? Themed to a factory overrun with mice.

Re: Best Themed Roller Coasters by TeamThriller at 11/16/07 12:47:31 PM

I think the Black Mumba at Phantasialand. This B&M inverted feel like you really are flying through Africa.

I love it!

Re: Best Themed Roller Coasters by CarolH at 11/16/07 6:30:30 PM

How about Lost Coaster at IB?

Carol

Re: Best Themed Roller Coasters by Mikey_Mad Mikey_Mad Profile at 11/18/07 11:09:48 PM

How about one where they missed on the themeing (overdone I suppose). The Voyage looks like Long John Silver's (fast food fish) attempt at the nautical theme. You can't just bolt a harpoon prop to the wall and hang a fish net and call it a theme. But, its what they did to a fantastic rollercoster which deserved more.

They did better with The Legend which follows the Legend of Sleepy Hollow.

Mikey Mad

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Best Themed Roller Coasters by Ethan Ethan Profile at 11/19/07 3:47:08 PM

Not to be a jerk but LEGEND had no D before the G. I just caught that and felt like mentioning that.

I also dislike weak themes, like westerns and sea themes when it's just a sign and some stuff on the wall. A real theme should change the meaning and experience of a ride.

-Ethan-

Re: Best Themed Roller Coasters by Mikey_Mad Mikey_Mad Profile at 11/19/07 8:09:02 PM

> Not to be a jerk but LEGEND had no D before the G. I just
> caught that and felt like mentioning that.

I sometimes include typos purely for the gratification of those who enjoy finding them. I do try to please.

Mikey Mad

Re: Best Themed Roller Coasters by sithmonkey13 sithmonkey13 Profile at 11/22/07 4:21:52 PM

I think all the roller coasters @ Silver Dollar City in Branson, Mo. are the best themed roller coasters.

Re: Best Themed Roller Coasters by kraken101 at 11/23/07 8:47:37 AM

i think the best themed one is everest in disney. space and splash mountain aren't that bad either

Re: Best Themed Roller Coasters by RobLec RobLec Profile at 11/23/07 9:39:42 AM

> I sometimes include typos purely for the gratification of
> those who enjoy finding them.

In that case, thank you for also misspelling Sleepy Hollow.

Hallow is a word usually used as a verb, meaning "to make holy or sacred, to sanctify or consecrate, to venerate"

Re: Best Themed Roller Coasters by mapew9319 mapew9319 Profile at 12/12/07 3:43:12 PM

the theming for ride of steel at darien lake is pretty good. Idk if it's considered theming though, its over a misty lake half the time, idk, u have to ride it to understand. In that turn before the second hill, it feels like ur gonna tip into the lake

Re: Best Themed Roller Coasters by ragingbullguy1 ragingbullguy1 Profile at 12/12/07 6:27:57 PM

I'd have to say most of the best themed rides are in florida. Here is my list...

1.Splash Mountain
2.Jurrasic Park River Adventure
3.Expedition Everest
4.Dueling Dragons
5.Batman:The Ride

Batman and Dueling Dragons are on my list because of the queue. The rest of the rides are all becuase of the ride itself.

Re: Best Themed Roller Coasters by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/12/07 9:34:40 PM

> .

> Hallow is a word usually used as a verb, meaning "to
> make holy or sacred, to sanctify or consecrate, to
> venerate"

>
"Hallows" can also be deathly...just ask young Mr. Potter.

Mike

Re: Best Themed Roller Coasters by daffystardust at 5/27/13 6:07:12 PM
Somebody help me here-
There's all this talk about the themeing in the queue of the Loch Ness Monster, but no mention of the 2.75 circles the ride does inside the lair of the monster himself! Doesn't that count as themeing?
Heck, when I was a kid there was video of the monster inside the lair.
Alpengeist in the same park also has ski lift barns you run through and snowy mountain terrain you swoop above. Not A+ themeing, but there it is.
Verbolten has pretty complete themeing, too, with a whole backstory about the brother sister team who are your hosts and three different light shows inside the show building.
Re: Best Themed Roller Coasters by shyomin at 5/28/13 8:18:33 PM
daffystardust said:

Somebody help me here-
There's all this talk about the themeing in the queue of the Loch Ness Monster, but no mention of the 2.75 circles the ride does inside the lair of the monster himself! Doesn't that count as themeing?
Heck, when I was a kid there was video of the monster inside the lair.
Alpengeist in the same park also has ski lift barns you run through and snowy mountain terrain you swoop above. Not A+ themeing, but there it is.
Verbolten has pretty complete themeing, too, with a whole backstory about the brother sister team who are your hosts and three different light shows inside the show building.

I always considered the Loch Ness Monster track to be the body of the beast itself, along with the trip through the lair, and the decor at the queue I think Nessie is themed wonderfully. Verbolten has excellent themeing, but at the time these other posts were written it had not opened yet.