Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom?

Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom?

junebugg junebugg Profile

Posted:
6/21/07 at
6:18:16 PM

There are no specific details but WAVE3.com is reporting that a girl's feet may have been amputated while riding Superman: Tower of Power (formerly known as Hellevator).

------------------------
http://wave3.com/Global/story.asp?S=6693499

Teen injured on ride at Kentucky Kingdom
June 21, 2007 06:07 PM

LOUISVILLE (WAVE) -- A 13-year-old girl may have had both feet amputated while riding the Superman Tower of Power, formerly known as the Hellevator, at 4:45 Thursday afternoon.

The Superman Tower of Power ascends to 177 feet, then drops the riders at 54 miles an hour, stopping just 20 feet above the ground.

It first opened at the park October of 1995.

We'll have the latest details coming up on WAVE 3 News.
-----------------------

Now if this is true then its absolutely horrible. I can't imagine this happening to anybody on any ride.

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by Katie Katie Profile at 6/21/07 6:25:12 PM

Yes this is true. Here is another link to the story.

http://www.wlky.com/news/13547817/detail.html?rss=lou&psp=news

Sounds like a cable snapped. Just speculation from another kid from the outside of the park. Nothing has been confirmed yet.

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by junebugg junebugg Profile at 6/21/07 6:45:27 PM

> Sounds like a cable snapped. Just speculation from another
> kid from the outside of the park. Nothing has been
> confirmed yet.

Thats awful! What a nightmare!

I hope she'll be ok!

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by Mikey_Mad Mikey_Mad Profile at 6/21/07 10:36:23 PM

> There arre no specific details but WAVE3.com is reporting
> that a girl's feet may have been amputated whie riding
> Superman: Tower of Power (formerly known as Hellevator).

> ------------------------
> http://wave3.com/Global/story.asp?S=6693499 Teen
> injured on ride at Kentucky Kingdom

> June 21, 2007 06:07 PM

> LOUISVILLE (WAVE) -- A 13-year-old girl may have had
> both feet amputated while riding the Superman Tower of
> Power, formerly known as the Hellevator, at 4:45 Thursday
> afternoon.

> The Superman Tower of Power ascends to 177 feet, then drops
> the riders at 54 miles an hour, stopping just 20 feet above
> the ground.

> Horrible Indeed! I rode the similar ride at SFStL. I tried to see a picture of the ride at SFKK web site. It was not on the ride roster.

Mikey Mad

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by Kinematic9 at 6/22/07 1:04:52 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070622/ap_on_re_us/amusement_park_accident

thats pretty bad

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by Ethan Ethan Profile at 6/22/07 3:24:21 PM

> Yes this is true. Here is another link to the story.

>
> http://www.wlky.com/news/13547817/detail.html?rss=lou&psp=news
> confirmed yet.

I think it was confirmed that a cable snapped causing this horrible accident.

-Ethan-

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by Nocho at 6/22/07 3:40:21 PM

>
>
> > Sounds like a cable snapped. Just speculation from
> another
> confirmed yet.

> I think it was confirmed that a cable snapped causing this
> horrible accident.

> -Ethan-

Have you ever thought you could lose your legs on a ride? I know this stuff happens once in a million, but wow. Any time we get on a ride something like this might happen, crazy. This news is making my head spin, wow. It's early in the year and a lot of bad things have already happened. Whats next?

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by DAFE_Rick DAFE_Rick Profile at 6/22/07 5:13:24 PM

This accident is even more far reaching as other parks are scrambling to check their rides. The publicity is going to bad for everyone. Already I've had someone ask me about the horrible accident at GEAUGA LAKE. Any park that has or had a "Superman" ride will likely be named as where the accident happened.

This is such a freak accident it's hard conceve of anyone imagining that anything like this was possible.

Rick

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by r3claim3r at 6/22/07 5:49:02 PM

That's some scary stuff right there. It's not gonna stop me from going to SFOG, but it's still going to hurt SFKK regardless, and maybe all amusement parks.

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by MABrider MABrider Profile at 6/22/07 6:20:36 PM

> The publicity is going to
> bad for everyone. Already I've had someone ask me about the
> horrible accident at GEAUGA LAKE. Any park that has or had
> a "Superman" ride will likely be named as where
> the accident happened.

> Rick

Not only that, many people will assume it was a coaster accident (like at my office today), since SF has number of coasters named Superman. Then that erroneous info spreads, and on and on and on...

Mike B.

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 6/22/07 6:26:42 PM

> Already I've had someone ask me about the
> horrible accident at GEAUGA LAKE.

Actually, it's been less than a week since the RWB accident at GL.
But the fact that no one was hurt is probably lost to most of the GP.

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by DAFE_Rick DAFE_Rick Profile at 6/22/07 7:00:33 PM

> Already I've had someone ask me about the
> horrible accident at GEAUGA LAKE.

> Actually, it's been less than a week since the RWB accident
> at GL.
> But the fact that no one was hurt is probably lost to most
> of the GP.

Interestingly, no one seems to have heard about the coaster derailment, but they've assumed that a Six Flags Superman accident meant Geauga Lake!

Rick

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by PCW_Nut at 6/22/07 7:17:59 PM

Ya they just had the news story on here on local Toronto news.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/2007...

They have shut down Drop Zone at Canada's Wonderland.

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 6/22/07 8:29:07 PM

> Not only that, many people will assume it was a coaster
> accident (like at my office today), since SF has number of
> coasters named Superman. Then that erroneous info spreads,
> and on and on and on...

I been saying this for a while now; That's exactly why I'm not a fan of having the same name for fourteen different rides; It causes way too much confusion. Of course us coaster enthusiast know better, but many people do not.

The accident yesterday at SFKK is very unfortunate. I pray that the girl will be Okay.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by chillforce chillforce Profile at 6/22/07 8:56:27 PM

This is a real shame for SFKK which has shunned much of its bad rep over the last 2 years. Park President and sometimes poster on URC, Jay Thomas, has done an exceptional job at bringing the park up to par.

I think we should keep this young victim in our prayers as well as Jay and his staff who have to be as shocked and saddened over this as anyone. I just hope that the young victim did not endure a lot of pain, but I know her mental anguish will be for a lifetime. I cannot imagine what that crew went through and thought after this happened. If you are a person of faith, say a prayer for all of them.

Ed

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 6/22/07 11:12:45 PM

It's very hard to believe something like this could happen. I hope the girl will be Ok, and that she will not stop riding rides. I also hope that Jay and the rest of the SFKK crew will figure everything out and fix up Superman. This story is all over the news in Indiana.

Just terrible,
-Josh

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by Nocho at 6/22/07 11:30:01 PM

Who cares about Jay and his crew, Six Flags, and Superman. That 13 yr old girl had her feet chopped off. My heart goes out to her.

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 6/22/07 11:42:24 PM

> Who cares about Jay and his crew, Six Flags, and Superman.
> That 13 yr old girl had her feet chopped off. My heart goes
> out to her.
> * This Post Has Been Modified *

Ummm... I'm not feeling sorry for Jay. I just hope he can get things figured out. Of course my heart goes out to the girl. Sorry if you thought I felt otherwise.

-Josh

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by junebugg junebugg Profile at 6/23/07 2:45:14 AM

> I hope the girl will be Ok, and that she will not stop
> riding rides (though I expect she wouldn't ride Chang
> anymore. Sorry couldn't resist).

That was horrible and insensitive of you to say that!

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by junebugg junebugg Profile at 6/23/07 2:48:31 AM

Inspectors found a thinning cable on Drop Zone at Carowinds.

This could have led to another potential disaster!

http://www.charlotte.com/109/story/170442.html

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by reedman1970 reedman1970 Profile at 6/23/07 4:33:35 AM

First of all, my thoughts and prayers are definitely with this 13-year-old girl. I am deeply saddened (not quite to the point of crying) over this most tragic incident, especially since it occured in my home park, SFKK. This is something that should NEVER, EVER be joked about. I've bought a season pass to this place every year (even during it's pre-SF days) since 1991, and this incident is, by far, the most horrific thing that has ever happened in this park. My hope is that this park, along with the rest of the SF chain, can recover from this and somehow move on.

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by Nocho at 6/23/07 9:51:07 AM

> That was horrible and insensitive of you to say that!

I agree.

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 6/23/07 10:06:15 AM

> I agree.

Sorry, I wasn't thinking. I didn't mean to sound like a jerk. I do hope the girl will be ok, and that she will be able to continue to ride.

sorry,
Josh

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 6/23/07 3:14:15 PM

> Inspectors found a thinning cable on Drop Zone at
> Carowinds.

How or why would this information be shared with the media?

Cable snaps are not as common as one may be led to believe. However, as witnessed in this unfortunate incident when they do happen the consequences can be horrible.

Overall, I think we're getting the typical over reaction to amusement ride safety fueled by the media again. The statistics show that accidents of this nature are very rare.

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by LexKy1022 LexKy1022 Profile at 6/23/07 3:59:06 PM

> There arre no specific details but WAVE3.com is reporting
> that a girl's feet may have been amputated whie riding

> afternoon.

> the ground.

> It first opened at the park October of 1995.

> We'll have the latest details coming up on WAVE 3 News.
> -----------------------

> Now if this is true then its absolutey horrible. I can't
> imagine this happening to anybody on any ride.

I live in Lexington, about an hour from Louisville and this story was on the news the night it happened. I have a sister and brother the girl's age, though, that live in Louisville and they are always at SFKK because they have passes. Of course that's the first thing I thought of when I heard about this terrible event. This little girl has been and will be in my prayers.

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by rollercoasteroflove at 6/23/07 7:44:53 PM

> I agree.

> Sorry, I wasn't thinking. I didn't mean to sound like a
> jerk. I do hope the girl will be ok, and that she will be
> able to continue to ride.

I don't think your horrible everyone has different ways of expressing feelings. I often use humor in unfortunate situations also to help ease things.

It was a horrible thing that happened. Hopefully with the medical technology of today she will be able to walk again and have a normal life.

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 6/23/07 8:10:10 PM

> This is a real shame for SFKK which has shunned much of its
> bad rep over the last 2 years. Park President and sometimes
> poster on URC, Jay Thomas, has done an exceptional job at
> bringing the park up to par.

> I think we should keep this young victim in our prayers as
> well as Jay and his staff who have to be as shocked and
> saddened over this as anyone. I just hope that the young
> victim did not endure a lot of pain, but I know her mental
> anguish will be for a lifetime. I cannot imagine what that
> crew went through and thought after this happened. If you
> are a person of faith, say a prayer for all of them.

I'm with you on this one Ed. yes we need to keep the girl and her family in our prayers and hope for a fantastic recovery. But many don't seem to realize the she and her family are not the only victims here. Something like this very deeply affects those that work at and run the park, and they need to be lifted up also. Not slammed as a couple are doing.;

Something like this never affects just a couple of people. I've seen what it can do firsthand to people who work on the rides, and for some it can just as traumatic, if not more so, because they have to deal with people blaming them and pointing fingers, and guilt, even if there was nothing they could have done about it.

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by jcarr71 jcarr71 Profile at 6/23/07 8:24:29 PM

Sucks for the girl, but I like those rides if I know what you guys are talking about. Are they the same things as Demon Drop at Cedar Point and Stuntman's Freefall at Great Adventure? I hope they are up and running in the future still. They give me a rush that even most coasters do not. Plus, call me sadistic, but I have a ton of fun taking people on them for the first time and failing to warn them about the impact of the stop... haha.

Any word on the lasting impact the injury will leave on the girl? Are both feet gone for good or what? She's going to be very rich, but I'm not sure I would trade my feet for even a couple million.

Still, since I don't know the girl, I'm more concerned about the Theme Park industry here. This is almost worse than a death in my opinion. Why has so much been going wrong this year?

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by deeturnerjr at 6/23/07 9:19:58 PM

This is really horrible. I cant really understand the exact way this happened. The news stories say that the ride had already reached the top and then the cable snapped, then it dropped and the cable hit a bunch of people. However, there supposedly werent any other injuries. Here are my questions:

-How can a cable hit a "bunch" of people and not create
injuries to a "bunch" of people?

-Why did they drop the ride if a cable had broken at the top?

-Are there any safety catches on this drop ride to keep it from
falling if a cable snaps?

-Can this particular drop ride be lowered back down from the
top without having to drop it? Even if a cable snaps?

- Are the cables exposed on the outside of the ride, or are
they inside?

I cant imagine the odds of the cable only hitting the one girls legs out of all the other legs that were hanging down from the ride. Thats just horrible to imagine, and im glad that it didnt injure anyone else to that degree. I know that a lot will be answered when the full investigation is finished, but those questions above are really racking my brain right now. If anyone has any insight I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks,

Dee

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 6/23/07 10:30:42 PM

> -How can a cable hit a "bunch" of people and not
> create
> injuries to a "bunch" of people?

I hadn't heard of a "bunch" of people getting hit by it, only the one. Must have missed that article.

> -Why did they drop the ride if a cable had broken at the
> top?

It automatically drops. It's not a manual release drop, and I doubt that the operators had any way of stopping it. (that's just a guess though) I don't know that it's been established that the cable broke at the top either. I've read that it was unknown at what point in the ride cycle that it broke, or when she was injured during the ride. At this point there's a lot that's not known, and it'll likely take some time to figure those things out.

> -Are there any safety catches on this drop ride to keep it
> from
> falling if a cable snaps?

In this particular case, I would say that normally it would almost be safer for it to drop in the event of a snap then for it to lock in place. There are magnetic brakes on the ride that are fail safe and will automatically function and slow down and stop the car. Usually that's better than having a car stuck 150+ feet up in the air with no way to release it. I'm wondering how the cable came out of the tube it's in to begin with and caught the riders.

> -Can this particular drop ride be lowered back down from
> the
> top without having to drop it? Even if a cable snaps?

Again, I'm not sure, but I don't think so. I could easily be wrong on that, though.

> - Are the cables exposed on the outside of the ride, or are
> they inside?

As far as I understand it, they are inside. The ride is essentially a giant, hollow tube with the cars attached on the outside of the tube and much of the mechanisms inside of it. Obviously there's more to it than that, but that's it in a very basic fashion.

A little insight based on observation and having been on that particular ride as well as a couple of others just like it. I'm sure that someone should be able to come up with some decent pictures of the ride that can help show it off some also.

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 6/23/07 10:32:51 PM

> I agree.

> I don't think your horrible everyone has different ways of
> expressing feelings. I often use humor in unfortunate
> situations also to help ease things.

> It was a horrible thing that happened. Hopefully with the
> medical technology of today she will be able to walk again
> and have a normal life.

Thank you for understanding. It was late at night, and I just thought of it and typed it without thinking about offending anyone. I love humor, and can often use it to much.

Once again, sorry to those who were offended.

-Josh

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 6/23/07 10:38:27 PM

Trying to find some images of the ride for those wondering about it:

Drop Zone at the paramount parks- same model of ride:
http://flickr.com/photos/statico/22734556/
http://gugusite.free.fr/rcp/eng/wonderland/generalites.htm
http://www.rvanderson.com/disciplines/structprojects/wonderland_dropzone.html
The last one has a bit of nice other info about the ride

Hope those help.

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by Nocho at 6/24/07 7:25:15 AM

> I agree.

> I don't think your horrible everyone has different ways of
> expressing feelings. I often use humor in unfortunate
> situations also to help ease things.

> It was a horrible thing that happened. Hopefully with the
> medical technology of today she will be able to walk again
> and have a normal life.

> Thank you for understanding. It was late at night, and I
> just thought of it and typed it without thinking about
> offending anyone. I love humor, and can often use it to
> much.

> Once again, sorry to those who were offended.

Josh
I thought it was pretty harsh, but, I have said some pretty dumb things in my life too. I've probably said "sorry" 30 times in my life for stupid stuff I said/did, so I won't hold a bad opinion of you for that one.

Also, I doubt this girl will have anything close to a normal life, ever. At least those other people involved will be able to let it go, eventually.

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by deeturnerjr at 6/24/07 10:14:38 AM

I found some pics from the article that is on a Louisville news website.

http://www.wlky.com/slideshow/news/13550828/detail.html

This is the article listed earlier in the post in which someone states the cable hit more people than just the girl. Thats why I was confused in my earlier post. I guess it was probably just an error on the eyewitness though.

http://wave3.com/Global/story.asp?S=6693499

It looks to me like the cables are exposed on the outside of the ride, or maybe like Sirwillow said they are in some kind of conduit or pipe to keep them from supposedly hitting someone. I cant tell really from the pics because they are kind of dark. Anyways just wanted to post my thoughts once again. Hope we know some better details soon.

DEE

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by clewis4u91 clewis4u91 Profile at 6/24/07 10:46:57 AM

Here's a news article about it up here in Canada: http://www.picturepush.com/public/91569

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 6/24/07 9:31:54 PM

Here are pictures of the Drop Zone at Kings Island.

http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/thrillrides/pictures/drop-zone/

There are differences between the gyro drop and the second generation drop towers like Superman. From what I remember the cables that haul the carrier to the top of the tower are exposed. From there it's my understanding that they then descend down the inner portion of the tubular tower.

It's too early to know what happened, however it's safe to say that steel cables don't break very often. Think about all of the ski lifts around the world that use cables. I cannot recall the last time I heard about a cable snapping on a ski lift.

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by deeturnerjr at 6/24/07 9:39:48 PM

> It's too early to know what happened, however it's safe to
> say that steel cables don't break very often. Think about
> all of the ski lifts around the world that use cables. I
> cannot recall the last time I heard about a cable snapping
> on a ski lift.

I totally agree. The odds of this happening have to be mind boggling. Not only the cable itself snapping, but for it to have hit the girls legs severing them clean off. Its just blowing my mind.

DEE

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 6/24/07 9:42:44 PM

> Its just blowing my mind.

I completely agree. The power the cable had isn't surprising, but the resulting circumstances is unreal.

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 6/24/07 10:53:58 PM

Uh Eric, MF has had the cable break no less than three times. TTD Twice and Kingda Ka a few times as well

The biggest problem with cables is there is no way to inspect the inner strands. You can do a visual and if there is frayage it's a good time to replace but I doubt there is a sure fire way to check em completely for tension strength after a period of use.

Chuck

> Here are pictures of the Drop Zone at Kings Island.

>
> http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/thrillrides/pictures/drop-zone/
>
>

> There are differences between the gyro drop and the second
> generation drop towers like Superman. From what I remember
> the cables that haul the carrier to the top of the tower
> are exposed. From there it's my understanding that they
> then descend down the inner portion of the tubular tower.

> on a ski lift.

SOB's loop in Norway. I can't believe it!

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 6/25/07 3:19:04 AM

> Uh Eric, MF has had the cable break no less than three
> times. TTD Twice and Kingda Ka a few times as well

> The biggest problem with cables is there is no way to
> inspect the inner strands.

True, but think about the differences between the rides you've mentioned. Kingda Ka and Top Thrill Dragster excert an enormous amount of stress on the cable from the pulling. The drop towers are more comparable to elevators and ski lifts. I also didn't say it never happens, I said it isn't very often.

Absolutely Horrific by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 6/26/07 1:23:14 AM

> on a ski lift.

> I totally agree. The odds of this happening have to be mind
> boggling. Not only the cable itself snapping, but for it to
> have hit the girls legs severing them clean off. Its just
> blowing my mind.

> DEE

My Ma has a saying that my mind keeps at the forefront: "There's a first time for everything."

Lord in Heaven, this is a horrific tragedy. It is blowing my mind, too, Dee. We've visited this park more than any other park yet this year (skipped the drop ride on all visits though -- just not our cup of tea).

I so feel for Jay who has done so much to promote this park...whose efforts to better the park will inevitably take a back seat to this tragedy as the GP will hold on to this image for a long time to come.

Can you for one minute imagine going to a theme park to have fun only to end up with a traumatizing life-changing event taking place? My mind is boggled beyond words; my heart and my prayers go to the girl first and foremost, her family, witnesses and last but not least, Jay and his team.

How horrific.
How sad.

Now I will question even moreso rides I like such as the Slingshot, or any ride using cables. Doesn't matter if one hasn't snapped EVER...like my Ma says, "there's a first time for everything." This tragedy just brings the cliche to life and I for one am going to think twice before participating in anything I have second thoughts about.

~MommaBeast, who is saddened beyond belief... ... ...
User Submitted Picture

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by Cal at 6/26/07 8:12:49 AM

Has any more info come to light as to how this happened and how the girl is doing? It sounds like a freak Final Destination-type thing to happen.
I've ridden this ride and other Intamin drops and it never would even have occurred to me that I could lose limbs.

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by MarathonRunner MarathonRunner Profile at 6/26/07 4:29:07 PM

I went to King's Dominion on Sunday (6/24) and was somewhat surprised to find the Drop Zone up and running. I can only guess that Cedar Fair closed their rides long enough to thoroughly inspect and then reopened them promptly. I thought that they would stay closed until the investigation was over (or is it?). Considering I went to King's Dominion on Wednesday then Sunday, the ride could have only been closed a maximum of three days.

Let's not forget how there was an accident on a TOGO standup in Japan where an axle broke, killing a young lady. The Shockwave was running, of course.

King's Dominion is a really good park, though. I would have to guess that they feel confident in their inspection process.

MarathonRunner

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by junebugg junebugg Profile at 6/26/07 4:46:15 PM

> Has any more info come to light as to how this happened and
> how the girl is doing? It sounds like a freak Final
> Destination-type thing to happen.
> I've ridden this ride and other Intamin drops and it never
> would even have occurred to me that I could lose limbs.

Her name and photo has been released.

She is recovering at Vandebilt University.

Here's the link:

http://www.whas11.com/news/local/stories/062607whasrtTopSixFlagsKyKingdom.16b77b7c.html

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by Shaft_STL Shaft_STL Profile at 6/26/07 8:19:26 PM

Recovering in critical condition. There's no way they got her feet re-attached. Awful stuff.

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by rollercoasteroflove at 6/26/07 9:29:08 PM

> Has any more info come to light as to how this happened and
> how the girl is doing? It sounds like a freak Final
> Destination-type thing to happen.
> I've ridden this ride and other Intamin drops and it never
> would even have occurred to me that I could lose limbs.

> Her name and photo has been released.

> She is recovering at Vandebilt University.

She had surgery at Vanderbilt Medical Center. I feel sorry for her. When I drove by there today I noticed all the news crews hovering around. If I was in her place I would just want to be left alone.

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by junebugg junebugg Profile at 6/27/07 12:23:37 AM

> Recovering in critical condition. There's no way they got
> her feet re-attached. Awful stuff.

She's in stable condition now...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070626/ap_on_re_us/amusement_park_accident

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by bankteller bankteller Profile at 6/27/07 2:10:07 AM

Why do you think so?

As for the investigators. I don't want to speculate, but I bet they are just as puzzled at how this came to be. Life can be so strange.

-D

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by Shaft_STL Shaft_STL Profile at 6/27/07 12:03:52 PM

> Why do you think so?

It's just my gut instinct. It's difficult to sew back on a limb, much less one that's been severed by a cable and dropped 170 feet before smashing into concrete. That thing cut through bones, tendons, arteries, etc...not a good scenario. I'd be completely shocked if she managed to put the pieces together.

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by Cal at 6/28/07 10:51:23 AM

Without being too grim, it'd also depend what condition they were in. If they were severed near the top of the ride then they'd have fallen over 100 feet and would most likely have suffered considerable trauma. Not really a nice thing to think about, but there you go.
I'd also think the fact she was young and probably still growing would make it more difficult, but then I could be wrong - I'm no doctor.
Hopefully they will be able to do enough to give her a relatively normal life once she recovers.

Re: Absolutely Horrific by Acrophile Acrophile Profile at 6/29/07 5:09:05 AM

> the GP will
> hold on to this image for a long time to come.

> Can you for one minute imagine going to a theme park to
> have fun only to end up with a traumatizing life-changing
> event taking place?

> Now I will question even moreso rides I like such as
> the Slingshot, or any ride using cables. Doesn't matter if
> one hasn't snapped EVER...like my Ma says, "there's a
> first time for everything."

I'm really (I mean *really*) dating myself here. I rode The Bat the same summer (maybe even the same month?) that the car flew off killing several people (riders and unsuspecting folks on the ground too far away really to concern themselves with a ride "way over there"). Granted I was a kid, but I wasn't an unthinking kid. I thought and pondered and thought and pondered every time I even went to an amusement park after that. It was wild. My head spun for years about how *close* I was to being that rider. How close anyone would be to being those "bystanders". I imagined being at some game or food stand and suddenly everyone screams and then you wonder "what?" and then it's over. In half a second.

Rollercoasters are **machines**. Machines are not perfect. We work and build and play with them a hundred times a day. They break sometimes. Most of the time they work. If we use common sense and work within their limitations, most of the time we are safe using them. However, sometimes no matter how careful we are, the machine breaks and people get hurt. This happens in constuction sites, farms, factories, breweries, stadiums, freeways and amusement parks. Anywhere there is a machine working. We can't let ourselves freak out because there is no way to avoid using machines. We just have to pick up, move on, and do our best to minimize accidents. I say minimize, because our best efforts assure that only. Less than our best efforts would be unconscionable. People like the child in Kentucky deserve no less than the most herculean safety efforts humanity can muster.

Now, I apologize for the long, long post. I have some insight into Drop Zone (KI), but I'll put it in the next post.

-Acrophile.

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by Acrophile Acrophile Profile at 6/29/07 5:27:33 AM

Many years ago, before I ever rode Kings Island's Drop Zone for the first time, I asked the ride operator some questions (see previous post re my paranoia). She was very very knowledgeable and forthright in answering them. DZ works on a cable and magnet system. It's basically two parts (that have lots of parts to them of course). The seat carriage is one bit, and the (I'll call it a "holder") is another. The holder pulls the carriage up by a sort of magnetic bracket. It is carried upward by a cable system. When it reaches the top, a timer lets riders look around for a sec, then the electromagnets in the bracket shut off and the carriage drops, and the holder stays there and comes down later, as the ride is unloading/loading. Now, the braking is done also by electromagnets. The magnets are held *outward* by electrical systems. If the power goes out for any reason, they *engage* automatically and brake the carriage. IF anything happens *before* the ride drops, the carriage can be brought down slowly by an operator. After that, it's all about the brakes.

> -Why did they drop the ride if a cable had broken at the
> top?

That might depend on *when* exactly the cable broke. If it broke just as the elelctromagnet shut off, then it probably all happened too quickly for anyone to react.

> -Are there any safety catches on this drop ride to keep it
> from
> falling if a cable snaps?

Since the cables are not what hold the ride aloft, this is irrelevant. But the question you are asking is "does it have safety brakes?" Yes.

> -Can this particular drop ride be lowered back down from
> the
> top without having to drop it? Even if a cable snaps?

Yes, but the timing is important.

> - Are the cables exposed on the outside of the ride, or are
> they inside?

That I didn't ask.

I hope I have helped to shed some light on how this machine works.

It is my thought that the absolute safest time to ride amusement park rides is about a month or two after a major accident has happened somewhere. Safety checking will become top priority, because none of these parks want to be sued. The industry is very very ruthless in that regard. It's not us they care about, it is their wallets. Fortunately for us, this results in their being forced to "care" about our safety.

-Acrophile.

Re: Absolutely Horrific by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 6/29/07 6:41:06 AM

> I'm really (I mean *really*) dating myself here. I rode The
> Bat the same summer (maybe even the same month?) that the
> car flew off killing several people (riders and
> unsuspecting folks on the ground too far away really to
> concern themselves with a ride "way over there").

Argh! I hate refering to that mile long thread about deaths at PKI, but if you read through that monster you'll realize that this so called accident on the Bat never happened. A little research on sites like rideaccidents.com will also tell you the same thing.

No one was ever killed on the Bat. Never. Didn't happen. It's just a stupid myth that refuses to die. Just like Magnum sinking.

Other than that, you've got a decent point. It's just really hard though when the main premise/ example that you start with is something that never happened.

Re: No One Ever Died at The Bat by RobLec RobLec Profile at 6/29/07 9:23:46 AM

SirWillow is absolutely right. And the only way you are dating yourself is by showing your naiveté. I don't know what you thought happened or where, but it never happened anywhere near Kings Island.

I will date myself here. I was an adult - with children who are now adults - when the Bat was built. For that matter, I was an adult when Kings Island was built. I remember most everything that happened regarding Kings Island, including the contest to name the Beast. And I certainly would have remembered such an incident as you have described.

Are you sure you didn't watch the movie "Rollercoaster" one night before bedtime?

Re: No One Ever Died at The Bat by deeturnerjr at 6/29/07 9:33:16 AM

LOL! Im glad you guys interjected before I could because you are much more articulate than I am. The Bat's car flying off the track and killing someone, LOL! That is just plain naive and with all of the references floating around the internet these days to research such things I cant believe that rumor is still around.

Also if I remember right, those trains moved kind of slow to be able to "fly" off the track and go far enough to hit someone standing a distance away, LOL! Would of been kind of like getting hit by the turtle in the "turtle vs the hare" race, LOL!

Sorry couldnt resist, and thanks SirWillow & Roblec for clearing that up before it got out of hand.

DEE

Re: No One Ever Died at The Bat by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 6/29/07 1:32:42 PM

I started a new thread about cars flying off the track in general, so we can keep this thread on-topic about SFKK:

http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/forums/cgi/forum1.cgi?read=182758

Re: No One Ever Died at The Bat Chuck seconds this by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 6/29/07 3:20:08 PM

> SirWillow is absolutely right. And the only way you are
> dating yourself is by showing your naiveté. I don't know
> what you thought happened or where, but it never happened
> anywhere near Kings Island.

> I will date myself here. I was an adult - with children who
> are now adults - when the Bat was built. For that matter, I
> was an adult when Kings Island was built. I remember most
> everything that happened regarding Kings Island, including
> the contest to name the Beast. And I certainly would have
> remembered such an incident as you have described.

> Are you sure you didn't watch the movie
> "Rollercoaster" one night before bedtime?

Nobody ever was even seriously injured on the ride from everything I know about it. The ride had all kinds of issues being a prototype NONE OF THEM WERE SAFTEY RELATED.

Chuck, who says TOP GUN DID HIT A CRANE A COUPLE YEARS AGO durring inspections but nobody was on it.

Re: No One Ever Died at The Bat by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 6/29/07 3:22:45 PM

> LOL! Im glad you guys interjected before I could because
> you are much more articulate than I am. The Bat's car
> flying off the track and killing someone, LOL! That is just
> plain naive and with all of the references floating around
> the internet these days to research such things I cant
> believe that rumor is still around.

> Also if I remember right, those trains moved kind of slow
> to be able to "fly" off the track and go far
> enough to hit someone standing a distance away, LOL! Would
> of been kind of like getting hit by the turtle in the
> "turtle vs the hare" race, LOL!

> Sorry couldnt resist, and thanks SirWillow & Roblec for
> clearing that up before it got out of hand.

> DEE
>

I ususally don't do this but go to COASTERFANATICS.COM and sign up and watch the old kids show promo on the bat which shows it onride and off ride. It wasn't a slow coaster, Not nearly as fast as Top Gun but more like Iron Dragon. I thought the ride was fun.

Chuck

Re: No One Ever Died at The Bat by deeturnerjr at 6/29/07 4:18:51 PM

Best I remember it only went like 30mph. Not very fast compared to most coasters today. The newer generation suspendeds are faster than The Bat was. I seriously doubt it would've been fast enough to fly off the track and travel far enough to hit a spectator, LOL!

Re: Bat by Acrophile Acrophile Profile at 6/29/07 6:09:50 PM

Wow.

That was so long ago! I remember that story being on the news (I guess my young impressionable brain believed everything that was on the news). If it did in fact, never happen, then the news media, not those who pay attention to it, are to blame.

And to be honest, I have a few friends who grew up 5 minutes from KI and were also privy to that naming contest. They were in that high school class who did the final test run. They have never said a word about this "incident" being an "urban legend".

I do remember the ride, though. I remember it being fast (by my standards then), but not as fast as the Beast. When I first saw Iron Dragon, I thought it comparable to the Bat.

Umm. I hate to do this since I'm new here, but weren't you all a bit harsh? True, I was a kid then and like I said, probably just believed whatever stories were circulating at the time. However, calling me naive and essentially attempting to belittle me for it is a bit unfair, don't you think? In fact, I am *not* naive, and many people tell me that I am quite paranoid and not as trusting as perhaps I could be. [I will confess this is a backlash from being *far* too trusting as a young person.] Remember, you don't really know me. When we become acquainted with someone new in an online forum, shouldn't we give the relationship some time to develop before we go forming too many opinions about that person?

Ok. Again, the post is getting long. But I will not let someone just walk on me without so much as defending myself.

Thanks for "listening".

-Acrophile.

Re: No One Ever Died at The Bat Chuck seconds this by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 6/29/07 6:38:32 PM

All I can find on sandy beach amusment park which became indiana lake playground is that riots were a constant problem in the 60s.

Chuck

Re: Bat by Nocho at 6/29/07 10:13:38 PM

"In fact, I am *not* naive, and many people tell me that I am quite paranoid and not as trusting as perhaps I could be. [I will confess this is a backlash from being *far* too trusting as a "

Dude, you had a huge post full of false information. You told the story like you were there, lol. Of course people are going to be harsh, correct you, and laugh at you. It's an internet message board, you'll have that.

Re: Bat by Nocho at 6/29/07 10:22:02 PM

Staying back on topic,

This story will be followed for a long time. I'm most interested in how the lawsuit plays out, and of course about the girl's health situation. Hopefully she can handle all of it mentally, I guess that's the biggest thing. It will be a long rehab, I feel for her.
All I keep thinking is one minute this girl is on a fun ride and then the next minute her life is changed for the worse forever. Horrible.

Re: Bat by RobLec RobLec Profile at 6/29/07 11:26:47 PM

> Umm. I hate to do this since I'm new here, but weren't you
> all a bit harsh? True, I was a kid then and like I said,
> probably just believed whatever stories were circulating at
> the time. However, calling me naive and essentially
> attempting to belittle me for it is a bit unfair, don't you
> think?

Yes, and I worried about that for a bit after posting my reply.
Please accept my apologies for being so abrupt. But the story
you posted was quite outlandish. Please read the following message:

http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/forums/cgi/forum1.cgi?read=179492

This appears to be the most comprehensive and authoritarian post
in the KI Fatalities thread. There was even one rumored death
which I had believed but turned out to be untrue.

Update - Doctors reattach right foot by junebugg junebugg Profile at 7/3/07 11:05:40 PM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/03/AR2007070301775.html

Teen Injured on Ride Has Foot Reattached

Tuesday, July 3, 2007; 6:44 PM

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Doctors reattached the right foot of a 13-year-old girl involved in a gruesome amusement park accident, but her left foot was too severely damaged to repair, her family and doctor said in a statement Tuesday.

Kaitlyn Lasitter of Louisville remained in stable condition at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, Tenn., Dr. Douglas Weikert, a surgeon and assistant professor at Vanderbilt, said in the statement.

"Things are progressing as expected over this first 10 days," he said.

Lasitter's feet were severed just above the ankles as she rode the Superman Tower of Power thrill ride at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom on June 21.

Investigators with the Kentucky Department of Agriculture said they have taken a cable they believe broke and severed Lasitter's feet, Wilbur Frye, executive director of the department's Office of Consumer and Environmental Protection, has said. The investigation will continue for several more weeks, Frye said.

Lasitter's mother, Monique Lasitter, thanked the doctors, nurses and hospital staff for their work.

"We would not want her to be at any other hospital during this difficult time," the statement said.

The state has been trying to determine what caused the cable to break. Investigators were taking written statements from witnesses, reviewing statements and analyzing physical evidence and photographs of the scene, Frye said.

The ride was last inspected April 5 and found to be operating normally, Frye said. The ride passed inspection in each of the last four years, according to records.

The ride lifts passengers 177 feet straight up, then drops them nearly the same distance at speeds reaching 54 miles per hour.

Six Flags had shut down similar rides for safety inspections at parks in St. Louis; Gurnee, Ill.; and near Washington as a safety precaution, said Wendy Goldberg, a spokeswoman for Six Flags.

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 7/3/07 11:19:55 PM

That's great! It's too bad about her other foot though. Hopefully she'll be able to get a high-quality prosthetic foot. Modern medicine has come so far. Just think, a few years ago, a re-attached foot would've never been able to happen.

Just wondering, are they going to sue SFKK? Or does anyone really know yet?

-Josh

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by Nocho at 7/4/07 12:15:58 AM

> That's great! It's too bad about her other foot though.
> Hopefully she'll be able to get a high-quality prosthetic
> foot. Modern medicine has come so far. Just think, a few
> years ago, a re-attached foot would've never been able to
> happen.

> Just wondering, are they going to sue SFKK? Or does anyone
> really know yet?

> -Josh

I'm thinking that it will be months from now when the lawsuit goes down. She should , I hope , be set for life after that.

Just cause they got the one foot re-attatched doesn't mean it will ever work right again. It was severed right at the growth plate from what I understand. That and the tendons that were involved, I think she might have been better off with two prosthetics. Long freakin rehab either way, no good news in this story besides the millions she will get.

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 7/4/07 1:22:48 AM

> Long freakin rehab either way, no
> good news in this story besides the millions she will get.

Not everyone files a lawsuit after an accident. Do you think acquiring wealth because of an accident is a positive? That's nuts.

In any case who cares about a lawsuit or compensation she may receive. So what! The money will in no way make up for this unfortunate loss. I have personal experience with a job related injury and I did not sue my employer. Trust me, she will be wishing she could trade that entire sum of money she may receive to have her legs returned to normal.

I feel really sorry for her misfortune, but I also really feel sorry for Six Flags. I think many forget what the basis of Six Flags really is. It isn't a theme park. It isn't a corporation. It isn't a business. It really is people, for without the people the rest would not exist.

My point is, people in general don't wish harm on others. So, despite how some are portraying Six Flags, the people there are likely just as upset about the accident as everyone else is.

Re: Update - Doctors reattach right foot by Shaft_STL Shaft_STL Profile at 7/4/07 10:33:26 AM

Well...I must say that I am shocked her foot is back on. That must have been an extraordinarily difficult task for the medical staff - amazing work.

In my mind, if a company is negligent in a matter like this, they deserve to be sued. My empathy levels are fairly low when an accident doesn't involve rider misconduct. Six Flags and Intamin may both take the hit on this one.

Eric - just out of curiosity - did you receive any kind of settlement from your company relating to your on-the-job injury?

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by Nocho at 7/4/07 12:11:54 PM

> Long freakin rehab either way, no
> good news in this story besides the millions she will get.

> Not everyone files a lawsuit after an accident. Do you
> think acquiring wealth because of an accident is a
> positive? That's nuts.

Yes. The only positive.

> In any case who cares about a lawsuit or compensation she
> may receive. So what! The money will in no way make up for
> this unfortunate loss. I have personal experience with a
> job related injury and I did not sue my employer. Trust me,
> she will be wishing she could trade that entire sum of
> money she may receive to have her legs returned to normal.

No kidding. I wouldn't trade my feet for money either, but she did not have a choice in the matter. I hope she at least gets rich for all the pain and suffering she will endure for years to come.

> I feel really sorry for her misfortune, but I also really
> feel sorry for Six Flags. I think many forget what the
> basis of Six Flags really is. It isn't a theme park. It
> isn't a corporation. It isn't a business. It really is
> people, for without the people the rest would not exist.

Without People? Without people not much would exist, lol. ;)
Six Flags is most definately a corporation, theme park, and business, I don't follow you on the one Eric. ???????

> My point is, people in general don't wish harm on others.
> So, despite how some are portraying Six Flags, the people
> there are likely just as upset about the accident as
> everyone else is.

It could have happened anywhere, I think most people realize that. They should, because it was an accident, which there have been plenty of at several different parks lately.

Re: Update - Doctors reattach right foot by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 7/4/07 12:44:47 PM

> Eric - just out of curiosity - did you receive any kind of
> settlement from your company relating to your on-the-job
> injury?

You eventually are forced to receive one. That's what I learned about California's workers compensation system eight years after the incident. (I lost 28% of my hands gripping strength from an repetitive use injury related to overuse of computers.) The settlement is an estimate of your loss and an estimate of what your future medical care needs will be. So yes, I did receive $2,000 for my arm injury.

I don't want to get too far off topic. My situation is nothing compared to what this poor girl experienced. My point was simply. I'd pay half a million to get rid of the numbness in my arms and had I sued for a million dollars and won I still wouldn't feel any better. This girl will likely feel the same way.

Re: Update - Doctors reattach right foot by Shaft_STL Shaft_STL Profile at 7/4/07 1:34:59 PM

> You eventually are forced to receive one. That's what I
> learned about California's workers compensation system
> eight years after the incident. The settlement is an
> estimate of your loss and an estimate of what your future
> medical care needs will be. So yes, I did receive $2,000
> for my arm injury.

That's what I was getting at. California is one of the best states in terms of workman's comp. You have every right to go after your employer if injured on the job. It's their legal duty to pay you those losses or future losses. At least you went about it the right way and went through the state, instead of just settling on your own with the company.

> I don't want to get too far off topic. My situation is
> nothing compared to what this poor girl experienced. My
> point was simply. I'd pay half a million to get rid of the
> numbness in my arms and had I sued for a million dollars
> and won I still wouldn't feel any better. This girl will
> likely feel the same way.

I totally agree with you that the money won't make her feel any better. However, in her case, her disability caused by the accident is going to factor in to the settlement (should they sue, which seems inevitable), since they have to discount whatever work she will not be able to do in the future. For a 13-year old, that could be a large amount.

Re: Update - Doctors reattach right foot by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 7/4/07 2:13:43 PM

> California is one of the best
> states in terms of workman's comp. You have every right to
> go after your employer if injured on the job.

It also makes it a frustrating and expensive state to do business in.

Lawsuits are a huge burden to our society and significantly increase the cost of living for all. They also cost us oppotunities. I don't believe in suing over accidents. There should be laws passed to restrict when a suit may be filed and limits set for judgements. Theme park operators have rights too and they should have some protection. There should be an assumed inherent risk that you accept before you ride an amusement park ride. That doesn't mean I think the parks should be exempt from carrying insurance. There may also be exceptions when the operator is found to be criminally negligent.

Re: Update - Doctors reattach right foot by Nocho at 7/4/07 4:34:17 PM

> I totally agree with you that the money won't make her feel
> any better. However, in her case, her disability caused by
> the accident is going to factor in to the settlement
> (should they sue, which seems inevitable), since they have
> to discount whatever work she will not be able to do in the
> future. For a 13-year old, that could be a large amount.

Seriously? C'mon guys. Having a few million will help, a lot. Because, it's not just the work she can't do - it's not playing sports or walking normal ever again, ect. At least she can have some fun in her life with some money.

Also this talk about trading the money back to be healthy again is pointless. Of course you would, but you can't. It's not an option.

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by ThE_GrOuCh at 7/7/07 11:03:29 AM

> There are no specific details but WAVE3.com is reporting
> that a girl's feet may have been amputated while riding

> afternoon.

> the ground.

> It first opened at the park October of 1995.

> We'll have the latest details coming up on WAVE 3 News.
> -----------------------

> Now if this is true then its absolutely horrible. I can't
> imagine this happening to anybody on any ride.

Ouch, this is sick, yeah, I read about this on coastergrotto.com.

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/7/07 2:22:10 PM

> The publicity is going to
> bad for everyone. Already I've had someone ask me about the
> horrible accident at GEAUGA LAKE. Any park that has or had
> a "Superman" ride will likely be named as where
> the accident happened.

> Rick

> Not only that, many people will assume it was a coaster
> accident (like at my office today), since SF has number of
> coasters named Superman. Then that erroneous info spreads,
> and on and on and on...

> Mike B.
>
I know I'm late on this thread, but this was the first time I've had a chance to read through the whole thing, so I beg your forgiveness...

I'm responding to this particular segment of it because my experience illustrates Mike B.'s point above. I was at SFKK on the 19th...on the 21st, the day of the accident, I drove to Tell City,IN for my Holiday World visit. I should note, that while I was away, I put on a TV for maybe 5 minutes, and mostly avoided newspapers...basically, I shut myself off from the news of the world. So, on Friday morning, the 22nd, I stopped at the front desk of the Days Inn to address a couple of issues with my room (no shower curtain! A/C wasn't doing the job!) I was telling the woman there about my trip, and that I had just come from Kings Island..Her response?.."Oh, I just saw on the news about that accident there, where a girl got her feet cut off on a roller coaster!"..it was was the first I had heard, so I could not refute or correct her, but think about it...she thought it was KINGS ISLAND on a ROLLER COASTER...when it was KENTUCKY KINGDOM on a DROP TOWER.

I remember an exercise I did in grade school that always stayed with me...don't remember the details, but the teacher picked 7 students and sent six of them into the hallway. She then told the remaining student a short story. She then admitted one student back into the classroom, and instructed the one who had stayed to tell the same story to the newcomer. Each time a new student came back in, they were told the story by the previous student. By the time the seventh person heard the story from the sixth, it was UNRECOGNIZABLE as the teacher's original story...goes to show how a story..true or otherwise.. can evolve
from it's original form.

I've been somewhat of a connoisseur of what are commonly known as urban legends, and have been fascinated with how they change in the re-telling, too.

This, of course, was a true, tragic story that affected real people...an unfortunate accident...but I think what I heard in Indiana shows how far reaching it can be.

Mike

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 7/7/07 7:51:08 PM

> Her response?.."Oh, I just saw on the news
> about that accident there, where a girl got her feet cut
> off on a roller coaster!"..it was was the first I had
> heard, so I could not refute or correct her, but think
> about it...she thought it was KINGS ISLAND on a ROLLER
> COASTER...when it was KENTUCKY KINGDOM on a DROP TOWER.

At least she remembered it was KING something.

> I've been somewhat of a connoisseur of what are commonly
> known as urban legends, and have been fascinated with how
> they change in the re-telling, too.

One of my sons was really into urban legends, too. What's the name of that urban legend website with the wierd name? Scype.com? Swope.com?

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/7/07 8:04:08 PM

> One of my sons was really into urban legends, too. What's
> the name of that urban legend website with the wierd name?
> Scype.com? Swope.com?

> Snopes.com..I used to visit that site a lot when I first got on-line in early '06..still do occasionally.

Mike

Update: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by bankteller bankteller Profile at 7/20/07 2:49:31 AM

For all you consumer protection advocates and those in favor of government oversight of amusement park rides, eat your heart out and check out this report:

"Questions about integrity of Six Flags investigation"

http://www.whas11.com/topstories/stories/071607whasmjdTopSixFalgsInvestigation.7ff6c226.html

You really want our government to be doing inspections? CYA!

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by c_asyali c_asyali Profile at 7/20/07 9:21:50 PM

>
> confirmed yet.

If that really happened, then tat is just horrible. but... i think that they should have to close other freefall rides around the nation for this.

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 7/20/07 10:29:24 PM

> If that really happened, then tat is just horrible. but...
> i think that they should have to close other freefall rides
> around the nation for this.

Ummm...If you'd read the whole thread (maybe you did, but just missed it), you'd know that all of Six Flag's and Cedar Fair's drop rides closed after the accident temporarily for thorough inspection of the cables. Most have since reopened, but Kings Island's Drop Zone remains closed because (i think) they found a worn cable.

-Josh

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by bankteller bankteller Profile at 7/21/07 3:38:18 AM

Why? Should all of the roads in the US be closed every time someone dies in a car accident? Should all airplanes be grounded? A commercial jet just crashed in San Paulo, Brazil this week.

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by TTDragster90210 at 7/22/07 3:30:07 PM

> Ummm...If you'd read the whole thread (maybe you did, but
> just missed it), you'd know that all of Six Flag's and
> Cedar Fair's drop rides closed after the accident
> temporarily for thorough inspection of the cables. Most
> have since reopened, but Kings Island's Drop Zone remains
> closed because (i think) they found a worn cable.

> -Josh

Yes...After the accident, I heard that Power Tower, at Valleyfair, closed temporarily to make safety checks.

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by bankteller bankteller Profile at 12/5/07 7:42:17 PM

A bit of good news in this accident.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hRaNBSZ2K_ZH92rz1Rt1xgfzd7nwD8TBC2SG2

Girl Who Lost Feet on Thrill Ride Walks

December 5, 2007

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — A teenager whose feet were severed on an amusement park ride has taken her first steps since the gruesome accident in June, the attorney for the girl's family said.

Kaitlyn Lasitter, 14, began walking last week with the help of a prosthetic leg and crutches, attorney Larry Franklin said.

"She's so proud of herself that she has gotten around on crutches," he told The Courier-Journal of Louisville. Franklin did not immediately return a call or an e-mail from The Associated Press on Wednesday.

Doctors were able to reattach Kaitlyn's right foot after the accident on the Superman Tower of Power ride at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom, but her left foot was too severely damaged to repair and had to be amputated below the knee.

Kaitlyn also has regained her appetite and some weight after the various prescription medications she takes made her sick, her family has recently said.

Kaitlyn continues to battle pain, depression and the uncertainty of what will become of her reattached right foot. Doctors have said they will not know for months if Kaitlyn's body will accept or reject it, the family said.

Kaitlyn was on the ride June 21 when a cable broke, severing her feet. The ride, which was closed after the accident, lifted passengers 177 feet, then dropped them at speeds of more than 50 mph.

"To watch our daughter continually try to overcome such extreme pain and adversity has definitely been five of the most trying months of our lives," her parents, Randy and Monique Lasitter, wrote the newspaper.

The Lasitters sued Kentucky Kingdom in July, claiming the theme park failed to maintain the ride and ensure riders' safety. A judge ruled last week that the ride can be dismantled.

Meanwhile, Kaitlyn's medical bills total in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, her father said. The doctors and hospitals have agreed to wait for payment until the family's case against the theme park is resolved, Randy Lasitter said.

The Kentucky Department of Agriculture, which oversees ride safety, is investigating the accident.

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 12/6/07 9:45:01 AM

That's certainly good news. Thank you for posting this. Very unfortunate accident. Even if the ride was well maintained, bad stuff can still happen to good people.

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by Kururu at 2/5/08 3:08:28 AM

I cried, when I heard they'd be removing the Hellevator. I'm not joking. I feel bad for the girl... but I feel worse about Six Flags loosing the ride.

I've been addicted to it, since before I was even old enough to ride it. I wonder, what are they planning to replace it with? Another ride similar to it and/or better than it would be great... but I highly doubt they'll be putting another tower ride inside the park. Hellevator, you shall live on in my memories. You were some of the best ones I had.

Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom is dying. The only two rides worth going there to ride are Chang and T2 (Terror to the Second Power). No, I take that back. T2 is barely decent. The lines are rediculous, for those. Now that Hellevator is disappearing, the lines for Chang and T2 are bound to become longer than ever.

I miss seeing Quake there. I loved gazing at it, as a child. I never even saw it in action, it just turned into a paperweight, a lawn ornament, then got replaced with a slide.

I don't remember the Vampire, though, from the pictures I see of it, Kentucky Kingdom got rid of another great ride.

Goodbye, Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom. Six Flags Over Georgia here I come, this summer, when I move.

Oh, hey. When did they start using all four seat sections on the Hellevator? All of the times I rode that, one of the seat sections wasn't used. Could that have been the section the girl was on?

I'm obsessed with amusement/theme park rides, especially roller coasters. I love how they make my whole body tremble, just by looking at them. Some of my friends call me crazy, because of my obsession. If I were that poor girl, even after a tragedy such as this. I can say I would be willing to go back and do it again. It's like when someone goes skydiving, bungee jumping, or rock climbing, then something goes horribly wrong and the result of the accident harms them... they want to get up and go do it again.

Well I hope that girl is doing well.

-Kururu

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by coasterqueen at 3/12/09 12:33:35 AM

Yes this did happen. It is so horrible. But it isn't ever going to stop me from going to amusement parks. So far, what I know is that doctors wer able to reattach Kaitlyn Lasitter's right foot, but not her left.

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by coasterqueen at 3/23/09 4:46:24 PM

This relly did happen. It is horrible, but it isn't going to keep me from visiting amusement parks. She had both feet amputated at the ankle. Doctors wer able to reattafe her right foot, but not her left. I have been following her story since I first heard about it. Hen name is Kaitlyn Lasitter, and her family sued Kentucky Kingdom. Is was so sad that this happened to her.

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 3/23/09 7:50:26 PM

> This relly did happen. It is horrible, but it isn't going
> to keep me from visiting amusement parks. She had both feet
> amputated at the ankle. Doctors wer able to reattafe her
> right foot, but not her left. I have been following her
> story since I first heard about it. Hen name is Kaitlyn
> Lasitter, and her family sued Kentucky Kingdom. Is was so
> sad that this happened to her.

Why do you keep adding onto posts without providing any new content?

Do you like seeing your screen name on the screen?

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 3/23/09 8:36:16 PM

> Why do you keep adding onto posts without providing any new
> content?

Maybe she doesn't remember that she posted essentially the same thing on 3/11 as she did today (maybe with one extra sentence).

It doesn't bother me much... but all of us already know that yes it really happened.

Re: Accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? by coasterqueen at 4/5/09 3:16:27 AM

That is true. And it is very scary, but this kind of stuff will never stop me from going to any amusement park. I love amusement parks, and go all the time. I was not at the same amusement the day it happened, but I was at Cedar Point the very day this happened.