Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Indoor Amusement Parks

Indoor Amusement Parks

Jumbo-Jet Jumbo-Jet Profile

Posted:
12/16/06 at
6:53:39 PM

After posting earlier about West Edmonton Mall and Mall Of America, I've been wondering...Why hasn't the concept of indoor amusement parks caught on here in the United States? I live near Philadelphia, PA., and I feel an indoor amusement park, whether it's part of a shopping mall or a stand-alone park, would do quite well, especially during off-season when all the other parks (Hershey, Dorney, SFGRAdv, etc.) are closed. I'm quite surprised the trend never caught on, especially after West Edmonton Mall and Mall Of America. I'd be in Heaven if a mega-mall/amusement park opened in my neighborhood! The closest thing to a mega-mall in the Philadelphia area would be King Of Prussia, but no amusements.

Re: Indoor Amusement Parks by The_New_Reverend at 12/16/06 7:01:01 PM

> After posting earlier about West Edmonton Mall and Mall Of
> America, I've been wondering...Why hasn't the concept of
> indoor amusement parks caught on here in the United States?
> I live near Philadelphia, PA., and I feel an indoor
> amusement park, whether it's part of a shopping mall or a
> stand-alone park, would do quite well, especially during
> off-season when all the other parks (Hershey, Dorney,
> SFGRAdv, etc.) are closed. I'm quite surprised the trend
> never caught on, especially after West Edmonton Mall and
> Mall Of America. I'd be in Heaven if a mega-mall/amusement
> park opened in my neighborhood! The closest thing to a
> mega-mall in the Philadelphia area would be King Of
> Prussia, but no amusements.

Man...

I mean...

-Rev

Re: Indoor Amusement Parks by lost_boy at 12/16/06 7:48:43 PM

> ... I've been wondering...Why hasn't the concept of
>

It's probably a matter of economics. You'd have to attract a lot of patrons consistantly to recoup the amount of cabbage someone would have to lay out to build a decent one.

I think that attracting many people, especially for repeat visits, might require some big thrills. being indoors might put some serious limitations on the size of the thrill rides you could offer.

Of course maybe thier day is comming. Take indoor water parks for example, ten years ago they were pretty much unheard of. They have boomed in popularity though.

I also note that near Detroit Michigan, one of the large football stadiums host the "worlds largest indoor fair" every year in the late winter/early spring. I don't know if the title is accurate, but that is what they call it.

The jist of th e event is that a traveling carnival come in and set up camp, in the stadium, for the weekend. It seems popular enough but it is only for one weekend a year. I wonder if they did repeat shows, as if simulating a permanent indoor park, it would continue to be popular enough to make the economic equation to make sense.

Lets face it, as much as we like these things, they still have to make money or they can't be in business.

Re: Indoor Amusement Parks by DAFE_Rick DAFE_Rick Profile at 12/17/06 7:43:01 AM

Just the other day I was talking to a friend from Chicago about the defunct Old Chicago park. Bottom line was an indoor park by itself could not draw a crowd all year long. Since it was there everyday, it was no big deal. People had the mentality that we don't have to go today, we can go tomorrow, or next week, next month, or next year.

They finally added some stores to draw the public out, but not "anchor" stores like Sears. They put in crappy stores that no one wanted to visit.

My friend also said that parents tended to use if for a baby sitting service and they would drop the kids off. Needless to say, the kids weren't spending much money either.

The other issues were lack of room to expand and perhaps more importantly, there was no "off season" to do major ride maintenance.

Rick

Daffy Klub- The official web site of the Darkride and Funhouse Enthusiasts

Re: Indoor Amusement Parks by lost_boy at 12/17/06 9:00:15 AM

> My friend also said that parents tended to use if for a
> baby sitting service and they would drop the kids off.
> Needless to say, the kids weren't spending much money
> either.

You may have hit the key to Mall of America's key to sucess. Because of the ridiculously huge mall many of the patrons at MOA Park are probably being dropped off for babysitting purposes.

Re: Indoor Amusement Parks by Link Link Profile at 12/17/06 2:21:17 PM

It may seem a bit excessive, but I always thought and indoor park would do well here in Ohio. Most of us Ohioans head to warmer places for Winter if we want outdoor fun. I imagine a lot of money could be recouped if Ohio had such an place.

As far as competing with parks during "in season": In Japan, there is an indoor water park that has a retractable roof that can open when its sunny and warm outside.

The only major disadvantages as suggested are off-season repairs and the inherent limitations to expansion.

I agree, however, that such a park would need to be subsidized by mall-like entertainment, shopping, and dining venues.

The Mall of America makes sense because of the harsh Minnesota winters. But such a place would have to offer a highly competive list of attractions and facilities to compete with traditional outdoor parks in these here parts.

It would be a costly and restrictive venture for sure, but like I said--the key to the success of such a park would be to offer a theme park experience like no other!

If I had a few billion to spend, I would certainly give it a shot! ;-P

Re: Indoor Amusement Parks by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 12/17/06 3:10:17 PM

I heard a while back the CNN Center in downtown Atlanta had a indoor amusement park. Out of curosity, have anyone ever been there when the amusement park was open? Apparently it wasn't successful.

Re: Indoor Amusement Parks by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 12/17/06 6:54:20 PM

Indoor theme parks are faced with extreme limitations in terms of what they can build and how much they can expand. I would guess that is one of the reasons why more are not built.

The indoor waterpark is really the equivalent.

Re: Indoor Amusement Parks by lost_boy at 12/17/06 8:52:48 PM

> Indoor theme parks are faced with extreme limitations in
> terms of what they can build and how much they can expand.
>

I agree. Probably the biggest challenge a park engineer could possibly face in the development of an indoor park is how to delevelop big thrills in a limited space.

MOA park does a nice job by laying in the rollercoaster over the top of the space. I leke how it has many close cross overs to the pathwats and how it encircles some of the flat attractions. i also tink it creative that the maintence track is hidden inside the waterflume attraction.

I'd like to see an indoor park maximize the space by having the rollercoaster track leave the physical boundaries of the building. This could be done by routing the coaster through tubes simular to way indoor water parks will run slides through tubes outside the building.

Re: Indoor Amusement Parks by lost_boy at 12/17/06 8:56:03 PM

> As far as competing with parks during "in
> season": In Japan, there is an indoor water park that
> has a retractable roof that can open when its sunny and
> warm outside.

I love the idea of a retractable roof over the indoor park. What a great way to make it more attractive all year long.

Re: Indoor Amusement Parks by bankteller bankteller Profile at 12/17/06 9:08:12 PM

> I'd like to see an indoor park maximize the space by having
> the rollercoaster track leave the physical boundaries of
> the building.

Three roller coasters in Las Vegas are like this: Desperado, Speed and Manhattan Express

Re: Indoor Amusement Parks by bratman at 12/18/06 7:53:20 PM

>

Here in toronto, we do have a mall (The Woodbine Centre) with a indoor amusement park. However, it is geared to the kids, with a couple rides that might interest adults. Nothing thrilling, though. I used to take my nieces there a lot when they were younger because it was cheap and it kept them busy for an afternoon.

We also have something similiar to the Detroit indoor fair concept.... the Rogers Centre (formerly Skydome) hosts the Spring Fling every March Break (the mid march week that the kids get off of school) . One of the midway operators sets up carnival rides in the stadium for the week.

Re: Indoor Amusement Parks by lost_boy at 12/20/06 5:17:18 PM

> I'd like to see an indoor park maximize the space by having
> the rollercoaster track leave the physical boundaries of
> the building.

> Three roller coasters in Las Vegas are like this:
> Desperado, Speed and Manhattan Express

Your right and I've been on all three of these marvelous rides. I was more fantising about running the track through a tube to enable it to run all winter too. These places in the Mojave desert do not really have to consider inclemet weather.

I can think of one coaster that has tubes like I'm imagining, Disaster Transport at Cedar Point. Although CP is not a year round park I imagine that Disaster transport has the ability to run throughout the year because it is completly inside. Mist of it is contained within a building but it also has tubes where the track runs out of the building and back in again.

Re: Indoor Amusement Parks by CoasterGirl123 CoasterGirl123 Profile at 12/24/06 5:53:41 PM

> After posting earlier about West Edmonton Mall and Mall Of
> America, I've been wondering...Why hasn't the concept of
> I live near Philadelphia, PA., and I feel an indoor
> amusement park, whether it's part of a shopping mall or a
> stand-alone park, would do quite well, especially during
> off-season when all the other parks (Hershey, Dorney,
> SFGRAdv, etc.) are closed. I'm quite surprised the trend
> never caught on, especially after West Edmonton Mall and
> Mall Of America. I'd be in Heaven if a mega-mall/amusement
> park opened in my neighborhood! The closest thing to a
> mega-mall in the Philadelphia area would be King Of
> Prussia, but no amusements.

It kinda depends on where you live, if you live somewhere in the north, then I would understand why you would want a indoor park cause of snow. But living in the south, we don't get snow very often, and we don't need indoor parks.

That is my opinion.

Re: Indoor Amusement Parks by LONNOL at 12/26/06 9:00:01 AM

> I heard a while back the CNN Center in downtown Atlanta had
> a indoor amusement park. Out of curosity, have anyone ever
> been there when the amusement park was open? Apparently it
> wasn't successful.

It was the World of Sid and Marty Kroft and open for six months. They had several rides, including an attraction where you rode in a pinball machine from Intamin, but it closed after six months. Twenty plus years of white flight (and in general, anyone with money flight) had hurt the city as people looked outward, not downtown. You can see some items from the park at:

http://members.aol.com/interama/krofft.html

Adam

Re: Indoor Amusement Parks by lost_boy at 12/26/06 8:31:59 PM

I just found out that another indoor water park has opened in Michigan. Maybe for us Northern states there is a market for these "summer attractions moved indoors". If anyone ever decides to try to make an indoor amusement park fly, I'd be there to at least check it out. If I like it, I might even return for a repeat good time.

With any luck, I'll be on the design team that brings it to fruition.

Re: Indoor Amusement Parks by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 12/27/06 12:31:51 AM

> It was the World of Sid and Marty Kroft and open for six
> months. They had several rides, including an attraction
> where you rode in a pinball machine from Intamin, but it
> closed after six months. Twenty plus years of white flight
> (and in general, anyone with money flight) had hurt the
> city as people looked outward, not downtown. You can see
> some items from the park at:

Thanks for the link. It's pretty intriguing. Boy, that gotta be a record for one of the shortest life spans for an amusement park.

Chris.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Indoor Amusement Parks *NM* by skeetrab at 3/2/07 1:25:43 AM

Re: Indoor Amusement Parks by skeetrab at 3/2/07 1:35:50 AM

> Yep I was a performer at the world of Sid and Marty kroft during the summer of 1976 I performed with a streetdance Lockers group called 33rpm. we were sent from Los Angeles by Sid Kroft and that place was amazing, there was a giant escalator that took you to the top..and a giant Ice skating rink that the escalator went over.. I was told that the building which had a lot of glass and was unsafe and didn't draw a lot.. but I believe that it was more of a fantasy type park, with mimes and dancers music and puppet shows, there was only about Three rides there and none were real thrill rides the closest was the pinball ride but it was not high speed. just kinda medium with a pinball richochet effect. there was an elaborate christal carosell, beautiful but no thrill . I believe the public expected more thrills.. well I would love to here from anyone who saw us perform...

James "Skeeter" Higgins

> .

> * This Post Has Been Modified *

LockerLegends International