Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Son of Beast Loop Removal

Son of Beast Loop Removal

JoeCoaster

Posted:
12/13/06 at
12:41:47 PM

So now they are going to remove the loop and use lighter trains? Now the ride will be more boring than ever! They should demolish it and start fresh with a design from the gravity group a la the Voyage.

Paramount’s Kings Island releases Son of Beast statement (DEC 13, 2006) The State of Ohio’s Department of Agriculture released today its final report detailing the outcome of the extensive Son of Beast inspection. The report reaffirms initial indications that the incident was an unforeseen single event failure, which occurred on July 9.

According to PKI officials, the park will now focus its energies on the appropriate and necessary changes needed to reopen the ride in 2007. In addition to reinforcing the physical structure of the ride, the coaster's single vertical loop will be removed. This will allow the ride to use lighter trains, which will reduce the load and lead to a more comfortable guest experience.

PKI is making good progress on Son of Beast and are fully committed to reopening the ride in 2007.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by Shaggy Shaggy Profile at 12/13/06 1:02:18 PM

C'mon... does this really surprise you?

Shaggy

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 12/13/06 1:58:14 PM

Grrrrrrrrr....dammit! The only wooden looping coaster will now be neutered.

They don't call it SOB for nothin' (as in cry, not son of ....).

Right now I hate Kings Island, Cedar Island or w/e in the hades it's calling itself nowadays!

~MommaBeast, a self-proclaimed SoB luvr from the get-go!

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 12/13/06 2:21:41 PM

????!?!?!?!?!!!!!???!?

So what will be the point of this roller coaster without the loop?

Pat-O

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by reidmanpcw reidmanpcw Profile at 12/13/06 2:33:36 PM

> C'mon... does this really surprise you?

> Shaggy

Yes. Yes it does. What is the world coming too.

-reidmanpcw, who is starting the SAVE THE LOOP CAMPAIGN!

PCW Junkies

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by JoeCoaster at 12/13/06 2:34:42 PM

Ok so with no loop we have a big hill and a couple of helixes and what? A fast train ride? They will have to add some serious air time hills or SOMETHING to this ride or whats the point in it?

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by -NEO- -NEO- Profile at 12/13/06 3:03:21 PM

Big Hill, Helexs, fast train ride? Thats what a roller coaster is you moron.

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by Ethan Ethan Profile at 12/13/06 3:04:32 PM

> So what will be the point of this roller coaster without
> the loop?

It is the tallest and fastest wooden roller coaster on earth, so I guess there's a point. They should add on to it if they're taking away the loop though.

-Ethan-

My Brother's Website!

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by Yellow_Jacket Yellow_Jacket Profile at 12/13/06 3:25:19 PM

> Ok so with no loop we have a big hill and a couple of
> helixes and what? A fast train ride?

Sounds just like its daddy to me...a chip off the old block.

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by Aldo at 12/13/06 3:30:43 PM

DARN! I am planning to finally visit ohio next year and I was looking forward to ride the worlds only looping wooden coaster. I wish they did not decide to do this. It was nice to finally see a looping wooden coaster.

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by Alpengeist Alpengeist Profile at 12/13/06 3:59:59 PM

I know I don't chime in here very often anymore, but when I saw this, I knew I had to.

If you will remember from interviews, the whole point of SOB was to be the only looping wooden coaster on the planet. To accommodate this, it had to built so high and so fast.

I think at this point, I would cut my losses and tear the thing down. In fact, if that wood weren't treated against fire, I'd say let's tear down SOB and Mean Streak and have one big-ole bonfire. I'll throw the first match.

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by bankteller bankteller Profile at 12/13/06 4:00:33 PM

> So now they are going to remove the loop and use lighter
> trains? Now the ride will be more boring than ever!

This is big news, but why is the State of Ohio being such a pain about this? No one was killed.

I'm sorry to see the loop go as it was awesome, but the rest of the ride was kinda painful. What a statement this makes as to the reason why wooden roller coasters don't have inversions.

However, I have doubts about lighter trains since they will only get thrown around easier. Son of Beast is one SOB.

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 12/13/06 4:19:47 PM

Ohio parks are really getting screwed next year. First X Flight is being removed from Geauga Lake (the crane just arrived) and now the loop is being removed from Sonny.

What's next? Brakes on the top of the first drop like Mean Streak to slow it down? There was nothing wrong with the loop so why remove it? It was the first giant helix that caused the problem.

G-Dog

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by Yellow_Jacket Yellow_Jacket Profile at 12/13/06 4:41:11 PM

> G-Dog said:
>There was nothing wrong with the
> loop so why remove it? It was the first giant helix that
> caused the problem.

The helix was the problem because the trains were designed for the loop. That design couldn't handle both elements.

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by cjeagle35 at 12/13/06 5:12:55 PM

Wow, I got to say I'm very shocked. I thought the loop was safe. Sorry to those who will miss the loop, but it seems to me it had to happen. Lighter trains would not be able to complete the circuit with the loop, as the loop was so massive. If the heavy trains stayed, the same incident would happen again, as the structure couldn't support the ride.

I'm interested in what will know will be done with the loops area. I'm hoping for a tunnel or an airtime hill, because SOB definatly lacks that. But most of all I'm just hoping for a smooth, enjoyable ride. SOB will never be one of my favorites because its layout is just plain boring, but now it will be a least ridable.

Also, how about the accuracy of these rumors lately? First X-Flight, now Son of Beast? Who knows, maybe CP will be getting a 600ft, 200mph, 10 inversions coaster? :)

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by cjeagle35 at 12/13/06 5:23:14 PM

> This is big news, but why is the State of Ohio being such a
> pain about this? No one was killed.

> I'm sorry to see the loop go as it was awesome, but the
> rest of the ride was kinda painful. What a statement this
> makes as to the reason why wooden roller coasters don't
> have inversions.

> However, I have doubts about lighter trains since they will
> only get thrown around easier. Son of Beast is one SOB.

You don't seem to get the severity of this incident. Sure no one was killed, but the structure failed. If the ride was just patched up, the same incident would occur again, maybe with more serious results. This is a huge deal, because when people get hurt, they sue, costing the park a huge amount of money. This was not CF, PKI, or the State of Ohio's fault, it was Priemer Rides fault. They poorly designed the ride's structure and therefore, the ride was not comfortable to riders.

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by bankteller bankteller Profile at 12/13/06 6:14:55 PM

> This was not CF, PKI, or the State of
> Ohio's fault, it was Priemer Rides fault. They poorly
> designed the ride's structure and therefore, the ride was
> not comfortable to riders.

It certainly had nothing to do with Cedar Fair since they had just acquired the park. However, I don't understand the connection to Premier Rides. They built the trains, but to the best of my knowledge it was Stengel Engineering and RCCA that designed the ride and structure.

http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/coasters/yellowpages/coasters/sob_pki.shtml

PKI could share in the blame since they were responsible for maintenance, but I'd cut them some slack since no amount of maintenace will make anything accident proof.

And I still DON'T AGREE with the state being involved.

-Do you really trust big brother?
-Do you really think big brother knows what is best for you and I?
-Do you really think the state of Ohio has expertise in the design, operation and maintenance of roller coasters?

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by bankteller bankteller Profile at 12/13/06 6:19:07 PM

> Ohio parks are really getting screwed next year. First X
> Flight is being removed from Geauga Lake (the crane just
> arrived) and now the loop is being removed from Sonny.

You really consider X Flight a loss? I'd say its a gift.

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by Coasterfreak31182 Coasterfreak31182 Profile at 12/13/06 7:30:09 PM

> You don't seem to get the severity of this incident. Sure
> no one was killed, but the structure failed. If the ride
> was just patched up, the same incident would occur again,
> maybe with more serious results. This is a huge deal,
> because when people get hurt, they sue, costing the park a
> huge amount of money. This was not CF, PKI, or the State of

This says it all!!!

Christy

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/13/06 8:37:49 PM

>I realize I'm in the minority ranking SOB as my #1 coaster, but a loop is a loop..there's nothing special about SOB's loop to distinguish it from a steelie loop...as I've stated before, I'm not as technically savvy as many of my fellow URCers..I just know what I like...and I like SOB for its other elements, not the "unique" loop...I anticipate visiting Ohio next season, and I'm just glad we're not losing it completely...I'll keep an open mind on the changes.

Mike

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by AL_W_ at 12/13/06 9:17:19 PM

Better they should remove the coaster and save the loop - it was the only rideable part, IMO.

Al W.

http://www.in-n-out.com/secretmenu.asp

The ride won't be neutered and here's why! by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 12/13/06 9:54:45 PM

OK, SOme might say the loop was the best part of the coaster and I agree, The loop was one of the best vertical loops ever IMHO.

However, To me the ride was about HUGE DROPS and SPEED.

SOMTHING IT MUST HAVE TO COMPLETE IT's course in the first place. It was known to valley in the Rosebowl early in the year as it wouldn't make it to the midcourse without it's full speed and wheels warmed up.

The loop scrubbed a ton of speed therefore making the second helix and cloverleave somewhat boring and shuffly

The trains were UNCOMFORTABLE with plastic sides, Boards in the floor and bars that would bruise the thighs.

The trains shuffled, Caused all kinds of guaging problems with the ride and bascially were too heavy.

The trains also did not turn well as they were not fully able to articulate.

The new trains will most likely be of the type found on Thunderhead, Lightning Racers ect. These trains are heavily padded and very comfortable which will absorb some of the shock the ride could deliver, They also track superbly and will increase the confort by a huge factor, Also they turn well and the shuffle will be gone.

As for the loop, If a floating airtime hill is added there, I expect it to be more popular than if the loop ever existed.

Chuck

A group of park nuts :)

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 12/13/06 10:00:45 PM

Pat, Your still not getting it bud, The dept of Ag is responsible for inspecting the ride, They cleared it to operate only three weeks prior to the inccident.

Upon the incident, The department concluded that it must have OUTSIDE THE PARK OR DEPT OF AG firm inspect it. This isn't the inspectors or the parks finding, IT's INDEPENDENT!.

> This was not CF, PKI, or the State of

> It certainly had nothing to do with Cedar Fair since they
> had just acquired the park. However, I don't understand the
> connection to Premier Rides. They built the trains, but to
> the best of my knowledge it was Stengel Engineering and
> RCCA that designed the ride and structure.

>
> http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/coasters/yellowpages/coasters/sob_pki.shtml
> PKI could share in the blame since they were responsible
> for maintenance, but I'd cut them some slack since no
> amount of maintenace will make anything accident proof.

> And I still DON'T AGREE with the state being
> involved.

> -Do you really trust big brother?
> -Do you really think big brother knows what is best for you
> and I?
> -Do you really think the state of Ohio has expertise in the
> design, operation and maintenance of roller coasters?
> * This Post Has Been Modified *

Nobody seems to get it??? Please read. by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 12/13/06 10:15:23 PM

1. The coaster accidents findings weren't the states findings although they closely mirror what the state found. THESE RESULTS were from a INDEPENDENT FIRM hired to do the investigation into the causes of the accident.

Guess what? They found what many enthusiast have been saying all along, THE TRAINS are a big part of the problem. Namely their weight.

They also found what PKI orriginally sued for and attempted to correct since it was built. Shoddy contruction and materials and they went even further to include SHODDY DESIGN unable to support the forces exerted in that area. (YEah it was a single event failure that wouldn't be detected in a inspection) But was under supported, Even after it was reinforced.

To me that opens the door against Stengal and Viacom for CF to collect damages but thats up to a court to decide.

Now what must trains do to navagate a loop? They have to Pivot between cars enough so the noses don't bottom out in the over 90* ness of the loop. this means longer spacing between cars and THIS IS THE ENTIRE REASON THE CARS SHUFFLED BACK AND FORTH in the rest of the ride causing all kinds of track and structural issues.

PTC's can't take the loop, MF's cant take the loop, In fact no other wooden coaster train can take the loop.

CF contracted GCII and others to figure out what they can do to the ride to make it runnable and reliable and comfortable.

Findings, New trains or seriously modified trains. Im guessing here they will be simular to GCII MF trains. that are fully articulated, Can take curves very well, Don't shuffle. Have heavy padding and no boards on the floorboards.

These trains are very comfortable and remove one of the biggest discomforts of the ride of sitting in a odd possition on hard plastic with a pad jammed in your abdomen.

The ride won't be slowed, You can count on that, It barelly makes the midcourse and final brakes on cold mornings and has even rolled back several times

I think a good floater added where the loop was and the ride will be as fun as ever IMHO. Ya want loops? PKI has four other coasters with them.

Chuck, who says HOW CAN YOU NEUTER A COASTER THATS 170th out of 178 in a pretty fair poll?

P.S, If Mean Streak had these trains it would be a top 20 coaster ran unbraked.

> Ohio parks are really getting screwed next year. First X
> Flight is being removed from Geauga Lake (the crane just
> arrived) and now the loop is being removed from Sonny.

> What's next? Brakes on the top of the first drop like Mean
> Streak to slow it down? There was nothing wrong with the
> loop so why remove it? It was the first giant helix that
> caused the problem.

> G-Dog

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 12/13/06 10:18:46 PM

> Better they should remove the coaster and save the loop -
> it was the only rideable part, IMO.

> Al W.
>

I think you'll sing a different tune with some Millinnium Flyer trains and a airtime hill :)

Re: The ride won't be neutered and here's why! by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 12/13/06 11:34:40 PM

> However, To me the ride was about HUGE DROPS and SPEED.

> SOMTHING IT MUST HAVE TO COMPLETE IT's course in the first
> place. It was known to valley in the Rosebowl early in the
> year as it wouldn't make it to the midcourse without it's
> full speed and wheels warmed up.

> The loop scrubbed a ton of speed therefore making the
> second helix and cloverleave somewhat boring and shuffly

> The trains were UNCOMFORTABLE with plastic sides, Boards in
> the floor and bars that would bruise the thighs.

> The trains shuffled, Caused all kinds of guaging problems
> with the ride and bascially were too heavy.

> The trains also did not turn well as they were not fully
> able to articulate.

> The new trains will most likely be of the type found on
> Thunderhead, Lightning Racers ect. These trains are heavily
> padded and very comfortable which will absorb some of the
> shock the ride could deliver, They also track superbly and
> will increase the confort by a huge factor, Also they turn
> well and the shuffle will be gone.

Damn!!!

I was hoping for Magnum style trains since the coaster is all about huge drops and speed. ;)

Joe
Great_Ump

> Chuck

Re: The ride won't be neutered and here's why! by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 12/14/06 12:09:45 AM

I'm simply speechless. What kills me is the second post talkin' bout "C'mon, does that really surprise you?" Um yeah, it does, just like reidmanpcw said. I wanna know if digging some ground beneath the loop and lowering it could be a option to save it. If not, the current SOB logo is gonna be a constant reminder of a looping coaster.

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by Nocho at 12/14/06 7:13:08 AM

This ride is gonna be incredible with some new trains. The big helix was my favorire part, it will be even better when I can ride it more than 1 time for the day.

You want loops, go ride Vortex....

Re: The ride won't be neutered and here's why! by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 12/14/06 7:33:16 AM

> I'm simply speechless. What kills me is the second post
> talkin' bout "C'mon, does that really surprise
> you?" Um yeah, it does, just like reidmanpcw said. I
> wanna know if digging some ground beneath the loop and
> lowering it could be a option to save it. If not, the
> current SOB logo is gonna be a constant reminder of a
> looping coaster.

Although I highly value Chuck's opinion, I have to agree here that most of SOB's identity was based on the loop. Without it, people will think back to what it once was or what it could of been.

Perhaps SOB will be like another of PKI's prototypes - The Bat. Soon will we see another looping woodie? I bet we do, but SOB will be the long-lost prototype. I say scrap it.

- Pat-O

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by chillforce chillforce Profile at 12/14/06 7:33:41 AM

I am looking forward to a coaster that isn't beating the crap out of you. If anything, SOB was unrideable and loops are so 80's. We will see how the new trains feel on the coaster and that may change peoples minds about it.

Ed

Re: The ride won't be neutered and here's why! by chillforce chillforce Profile at 12/14/06 7:45:48 AM

> Perhaps SOB will be like another of PKI's prototypes - The
> Bat. Soon will we see another looping woodie? I bet we do,
> but SOB will be the long-lost prototype. I say scrap it.

>

Pat, I think this would have been true if PKI were still a Paramount Property, but since it is now Cedar Fair, I doubt that proto type will be built at one of their parks, or anyone else's for that matter.

Ed

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by CoolCoasterMan at 12/14/06 8:05:09 AM

Chuck:

Well actually Stengel was not involved in the structural engineering of the ride. It was done by Anderson and Associates of Toronto Canada. RCCA was contracted out to do this ride and subcontracted the layout to Werner Stengel and the structural engineering to Anderson and Associates.

If anyone is interested in reading the actual reports, I provided a link to the ohio agriculture website. There are 3 reports to download if anyone is interested in reading the full report. The 1 page statement, and the SEA progress and final report. Still finishing up the first pdf myself.

http://www.ohioagriculture.gov/

Re: The ride won't be neutered and here's why! by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 12/14/06 8:26:11 AM

> I'm simply speechless. What kills me is the second post
> talkin' bout "C'mon, does that really surprise
> you?" Um yeah, it does, just like reidmanpcw said. I
> wanna know if digging some ground beneath the loop and
> lowering it could be a option to save it. If not, the
> current SOB logo is gonna be a constant reminder of a
> looping coaster.

> Although I highly value Chuck's opinion, I have to agree
> here that most of SOB's identity was based on the loop.
> Without it, people will think back to what it once was or
> what it could of been.

> Perhaps SOB will be like another of PKI's prototypes - The
> Bat. Soon will we see another looping woodie? I bet we do,
> but SOB will be the long-lost prototype. I say scrap it.

> - Pat-O

Honestly Pat, I mean no offense when I say this and you know that.

Have you ridden it? The speed this coaster has is incredible IMHO, The first drop is outstanding and climbing that second hill happens so fast it's mind blowing. I mean in comparison to Magnum it climbs the second hill at warp speed. The Rosebowl imho is ok but will be much better without the shuffling, WIth padded seats and lapbars that don't bruise your thighs.

The loop drop is awesome, Bigger than most woodies in itself and if a air hill is added and it maintains its speed. The rest of the ride will be better than it ever was. Perhaps air on that camelback that we never got from the original and more air on the drop back to the station brakes.

The loop was fun, No Doubt but we've been looping since Screemin Demon. Honestly, A Anton Shuttle is almost as fun as SOB's loop. Not saying it wasn't good, It was, But IMHO if you can spruce up the ending with more speed and possible airtime. It will be better than ever.

If you still think Scrap it, Fine. But if this works, I could see MF trains on Mean Streak which trust me, WILL MAKE THE RIDE TOP 20 easy.

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 12/14/06 8:30:40 AM

> I am looking forward to a coaster that isn't beating the
> crap out of you. If anything, SOB was unrideable and loops
> are so 80's. We will see how the new trains feel on the
> coaster and that may change peoples minds about it.

> Ed

Think what you will about me replying to you. However, I agree 100% We've been doing it since the shuttle loops. Even though the loop was in manys mind, The best part of the ride.

Why not make the hole ride good and not just one part?

Chuck, who says we'll have to wait and see.

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 12/14/06 8:35:17 AM

Cool! Thanks for that info.

Chuck

> Chuck:

> Well actually Stengel was not involved in the structural
> engineering of the ride. It was done by Anderson and
> Associates of Toronto Canada. RCCA was contracted out to do
> this ride and subcontracted the layout to Werner Stengel
> and the structural engineering to Anderson and Associates.

> If anyone is interested in reading the actual reports, I
> provided a link to the ohio agriculture website. There are
> 3 reports to download if anyone is interested in reading
> the full report. The 1 page statement, and the SEA progress
> and final report. Still finishing up the first pdf myself.

>

Re: The ride won't be neutered and here's why! by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 12/14/06 8:44:10 AM

> Have you ridden it? The speed this coaster has is
> incredible IMHO, The first drop is outstanding and climbing
> that second hill happens so fast it's mind blowing. I mean
> in comparison to Magnum it climbs the second hill at warp
> speed. The Rosebowl imho is ok but will be much better
> without the shuffling, WIth padded seats and lapbars that
> don't bruise your thighs.

> The loop drop is awesome, Bigger than most woodies in
> itself and if a air hill is added and it maintains its
> speed. The rest of the ride will be better than it ever
> was. Perhaps air on that camelback that we never got from
> the original and more air on the drop back to the station
> brakes.

> The loop was fun, No Doubt but we've been looping since
> Screemin Demon. Honestly, A Anton Shuttle is almost as fun
> as SOB's loop. Not saying it wasn't good, It was, But IMHO
> if you can spruce up the ending with more speed and
> possible airtime. It will be better than ever.

Well, Ok Chuck. You caught me. I was being one of those posters who thinks they know too much - I havent' ridden it. I admit it. I was writing out of perceptions. - And I will still ride SOB when i get to PKI next summer.

My opinion is based mostly on disappointment. The concept of a modern looping woodie was so cool, I am sad to see it go. Plus, your reports are some of the only ones I have read to be positive about SOB, so I just assumed, maybe foolishly, that the ride isn't worth much without the loop.

My biggest concern is how will this effect guests' perceptions of the coaster, especially the GP. It reminds me of the Rattler here in Texas. When it first opened, people were fired up to ride the tallest woodie in the world, eventhough the overall ride is pretty bad. After shortening the first drop 42 feet, few people are excited about riding it. There was no draw to the ride. I can see the same thing happening to SOB, as you can see in many people's opinions on this topic.

But you're right, I need to get on it and see for myself. Heck, you have actually lightend up some hope for me for SOB!

Maybe I should take some offense to your post, just for the fun of it. I'll start calling you an SOB fanboy and writing all kinds of cool $%@#!! stuff, then you can call me a stupid Texan with limited ride experience, who bases opinions just on what I read and say that I have body odor. We haven't had a good fight on this board in a while.

- Pat-O

SoB and that one-of-a-kind loop by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 12/14/06 9:09:09 AM

> Chuck, who says HOW CAN YOU NEUTER A COASTER THATS 170th
> out of 178 in a pretty fair poll?

Poll, schmoll! It's neutered to ME and that's who counts in my opinion. I happen to love SoB and I really don't care what 'others' think of the ride. I always felt bad for those who couldn't find the same enjoyment out of it that I did. And I also was secretly glad that because of those people, it lessened the wait in line for me a lil bit, lol.

Furthermore, you most certainly can neuter a ride who's claim to fame was: the tallest, fastest, only looping wooden coaster on the Planet.

Granted, I liked the whole ride; not just the loop. I am just trying to make a point that THE LOOP was AN ELEMENT of the whole ride experience that made Son of Beast stand out from all the other woodies on Planet Earth.

Yes, it's fricken neutered!

And I would *almost* lay $$$$ on it that the neutering won't stop there. Look what they did to The Beast for Pete's sake! Can you say trim braked to death?

Grrrr....Kings Island you are going downhill faster than an unbraked coaster on a 1,000 foot drop.

May you reap what you sow. And you will. To the dismay of your loyalest of fans ----

~MommaBeast

Re: The ride won't be neutered and here's why! by stormrider550 at 12/14/06 9:15:21 AM

I bet they put a trim in place of the loop.

> OK, SOme might say the loop was the best part of the
> coaster and I agree, The loop was one of the best vertical
> loops ever IMHO.

> However, To me the ride was about HUGE DROPS and SPEED.

> SOMTHING IT MUST HAVE TO COMPLETE IT's course in the first
> place. It was known to valley in the Rosebowl early in the
> year as it wouldn't make it to the midcourse without it's
> full speed and wheels warmed up.

> The loop scrubbed a ton of speed therefore making the
> second helix and cloverleave somewhat boring and shuffly

> The trains were UNCOMFORTABLE with plastic sides, Boards in
> the floor and bars that would bruise the thighs.

> The trains shuffled, Caused all kinds of guaging problems
> with the ride and bascially were too heavy.

> The trains also did not turn well as they were not fully
> able to articulate.

> The new trains will most likely be of the type found on
> Thunderhead, Lightning Racers ect. These trains are heavily
> padded and very comfortable which will absorb some of the
> shock the ride could deliver, They also track superbly and
> will increase the confort by a huge factor, Also they turn
> well and the shuffle will be gone.

> As for the loop, If a floating airtime hill is added there,
> I expect it to be more popular than if the loop ever
> existed.

> Chuck

Nocho --- by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 12/14/06 9:18:24 AM

> This ride is gonna be incredible with some new trains. The
> big helix was my favorire part, it will be even better when
> I can ride it more than 1 time for the day.

> You want loops, go ride Vortex....
>

If I want permanent brain damage I'll ride Vortex. You cannot logically compare the smoooth loop of SoB to the piece of crap that is Vortex.

Come on...

~MommaBeast, who rode SoB non-stop one late night til the ride operators said, "OK, Park Closed, Lady" ... One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Re: The ride won't be neutered and here's why! by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 12/14/06 12:08:53 PM

Actually I was a SOB fanboy for awhile as were others. Some of them, Including me kinda gave up on it.

I don't know why people think the drops will be shortened, The loop was not on the first drop but the fourth.

Chuck

> Have you ridden it? The speed this coaster has is
> incredible IMHO, The first drop is outstanding and climbing
> that second hill happens so fast it's mind blowing. I mean
> in comparison to Magnum it climbs the second hill at warp
> speed. The Rosebowl imho is ok but will be much better
> without the shuffling, WIth padded seats and lapbars that
> don't bruise your thighs.

> The loop drop is awesome, Bigger than most woodies in
> itself and if a air hill is added and it maintains its
> speed. The rest of the ride will be better than it ever
> was. Perhaps air on that camelback that we never got from
> the original and more air on the drop back to the station
> brakes.

> The loop was fun, No Doubt but we've been looping since
> Screemin Demon. Honestly, A Anton Shuttle is almost as fun
> as SOB's loop. Not saying it wasn't good, It was, But IMHO
> if you can spruce up the ending with more speed and
> possible airtime. It will be better than ever.

> Well, Ok Chuck. You caught me. I was being one of those
> posters who thinks they know too much - I havent' ridden
> it. I admit it. I was writing out of perceptions. - And I
> will still ride SOB when i get to PKI next summer.

> My opinion is based mostly on disappointment. The concept
> of a modern looping woodie was so cool, I am sad to see it
> go. Plus, your reports are some of the only ones I have
> read to be positive about SOB, so I just assumed, maybe
> foolishly, that the ride isn't worth much without the loop.

> My biggest concern is how will this effect guests'
> perceptions of the coaster, especially the GP. It reminds
> me of the Rattler here in Texas. When it first opened,
> people were fired up to ride the tallest woodie in the
> world, eventhough the overall ride is pretty bad. After
> shortening the first drop 42 feet, few people are excited
> about riding it. There was no draw to the ride. I can see
> the same thing happening to SOB, as you can see in many
> people's opinions on this topic.

> But you're right, I need to get on it and see for myself.
> Heck, you have actually lightend up some hope for me for
> SOB!

> Maybe I should take some offense to your post, just for the
> fun of it. I'll start calling you an SOB fanboy and writing
> all kinds of cool $%@#!! stuff, then you can call me a
> stupid Texan with limited ride experience, who bases
> opinions just on what I read and say that I have body odor.
> We haven't had a good fight on this board in a while.

> - Pat-O

Re: SoB and that one-of-a-kind loop by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 12/14/06 12:13:43 PM

Eh, Whatever!

If a loop was your sole reason for riding, Then I can see it.

THE GP tend to eat this coaster up *At least enough to keep it running*

I liked the ride but the loop was a gimmick and although good, A killer sustained floater will suit me just fine.

I never really liked the trains on SOB other than large people can ride em. Ive banged my elbows and such on the sides where you'll never have that on a MF train, Not to mention they have the deepest padded leather seats on the planet next to BIG Dipper at Geauga.

We dissagree.

Signed.
Fanboy, who could really care less about the park until he gets his flyers back :)

> Chuck, who says HOW CAN YOU NEUTER A COASTER THATS 170th
> out of 178 in a pretty fair poll?

> Poll, schmoll! It's neutered to ME and that's who counts in
> my opinion. I happen to love SoB and I really don't care
> what 'others' think of the ride. I always felt bad for
> those who couldn't find the same enjoyment out of it that I
> did. And I also was secretly glad that because of
> those people, it lessened the wait in line for me a
> lil bit, lol.

> Furthermore, you most certainly can neuter a
> ride who's claim to fame was: the tallest, fastest, only
> looping wooden
coaster on the Planet.

> Granted, I liked the whole ride; not just the loop. I am
> just trying to make a point that THE LOOP was AN ELEMENT of
> the whole ride experience that made Son of Beast
> stand out from all the other woodies on Planet Earth.

> Yes, it's fricken neutered!

> And I would *almost* lay $$$$ on it that the neutering
> won't stop there. Look what they did to The Beast for
> Pete's sake! Can you say trim braked to death?

> Grrrr....Kings Island you are going downhill faster than an
> unbraked coaster on a 1,000 foot drop.

> May you reap what you sow. And you will. To the dismay of
> your loyalest of fans ----

> ~MommaBeast

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by snoozypooh snoozypooh Profile at 12/14/06 1:15:26 PM

Well, I must say I am very bummed! I haven't been to Kings Island since 1979,when the Beast first opened, and I loved it, but when they added SOB with the loop, I couldn't wait to try SOB out, as well. However, with limited vacation time and funds, I usually only get to go to my home park (SFGAm), Cedar Point for Coastermania, and whatever parks host ACE's annual convention. In 2007, Kings Island is one of the host parks, and I was so looking forward to SOB (as well as the Beast, almost 25 years later). I will still ride, of course, but I really wanted to experience the loop!!! I am sure SOB will be just as good without it, but I really wish I could have added the first and only wooden looping coaster in the world to my coaster list. I actually am going to hit my 100th coaster during my 2007 coaster convention, and I had almost decided it was going to be SOB, so I could say my 100th coaster was a world record breaking one... Dagnabbit! I still may have SOB as my 100th anyway, we'll just have to wait and see... It depends on what other coasters I get to ride before SOB...

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by bear295 bear295 Profile at 12/14/06 1:27:47 PM

> trains? Now the ride will be more boring than ever! They
> should demolish it and start fresh with a design from the
> gravity group a la the Voyage.

> Paramount’s Kings Island releases Son of Beast statement
> (DEC 13, 2006) The State of Ohio’s Department of
> Agriculture released today its final report detailing the
> outcome of the extensive Son of Beast inspection. The
> report reaffirms initial indications that the incident was
> an unforeseen single event failure, which occurred on July
> 9.

> According to PKI officials, the park will now focus its
> energies on the appropriate and necessary changes needed to
> reopen the ride in 2007. In addition to reinforcing the
> physical structure of the ride, the coaster's single
> vertical loop will be removed. This will allow the ride to
> use lighter trains, which will reduce the load and lead to
> a more comfortable guest experience.

> PKI is making good progress on Son of Beast and are fully
> committed to reopening the ride in 2007.

None of this is anything really new. I was part of a walkback a few years ago. We were taken to the bottom of the helix. It was stated that they knew the heavy trains were causing problems with the supports at the bottom. We were even told that they rebuilt a lot of the bottom of the helix about once a month. I'm not certain that I understand why other train manufacturers can't come up with a lighter train that will navigate the loop. I hate to see the loop go. However, I am glad to hear that there will be lighter, and hopefully more flexible, trains coming. Those horrible Premier trains had no flex and just brutally passed every little bump and dip right into the passenger.

Somewhere on here I read an entry that intimated that Premier designed the ride and an inexperienced company built the ride. They obviously know not of what they write. SOB was designed by Werner Stengler. He has about 70 rollercoasters to his credit. The original construction company was RCCA (Roller Coaster Corporation of America). They were let go and the best information that I can find is that the construction was completed by KI. Well, that is NOT their first coaster. They designed and BUILT Beast. I'd say that counts for a lot.

Sorry to see the loop go. It will be interesting to see if they just bridge the opening removal creates or put a small hill in there. Supposedly, according to a maintenance person, there was about 400 more feet in the original design but it was taken out because it would have made SOB longer than pop. Don't have verification on that one though.

We totally agree there, Chuck....read on... by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 12/14/06 2:32:28 PM

> Signed.
> Fanboy, who could really care less about the park until he
> gets his flyers back :)

I hear ya loud and oh-so-clear on that point, friend. I'm still burning over that (stupid) decision to relocate it elsewhere.

~MommaBeast

Re: Nobody seems to get it??? Please read. by RobLec RobLec Profile at 12/14/06 3:10:22 PM

> 1. The coaster accidents findings weren't the states
> findings although they closely mirror what the state found.
> THESE RESULTS were from a INDEPENDENT FIRM hired to do the
> investigation into the causes of the accident.
> Guess what? They found what many enthusiast have been
> saying all along, THE TRAINS are a big part of the problem.
> Namely their weight.

I understand that the decision to remove the loop has little to do with the state inspectors or with Cedar Fair. It's simply an engineering decision. As you've stated, the trains were designed primarily to accommodate the loop and as a result were not suitable for the remainder of the course. Something had to be changed, and in the real world there is no option to tear it down and start over, as some have suggested.

All though I've always felt the loop was the one part of the ride that actually worked well (the rest of the ride is questionable), I fully understand why the loop has to go. But don't hold your breath for an additional element to be added in its place. I think all we'll get out of this change - besides hopefully a more comfortable ride - will be that the lackluster second helix will be faster.

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by coastermom coastermom Profile at 12/14/06 3:24:07 PM

They need to rename the ride Hermaphodite of Beast!

There goes that chapter on SOB with loop in my book!

MusicalMom

New SoB Name: by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 12/14/06 4:15:37 PM

> They need to rename the ride Hermaphodite of Beast!

> There goes that chapter on SOB with loop in my book!

New name for SoB:

EUNUCH OF BEAST

~MommaBeast

Re: New SoB Name: by junebugg junebugg Profile at 12/14/06 4:26:12 PM

> EUNUCH OF BEAST

OUCH!

If it becomes a eunuch then it can sing with the Vienna Boys Choir!

I think I'll go with coastermom as Hermaphrodite of Beast sounds more controversial and it would sure cause quite a stir. I'd love to hear the parents explain that one to their kids at the park! LOL

Re: Nobody seems to get it??? Please read. by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 12/14/06 4:27:11 PM

Agreed Rob, There will have to be some re-alignment of the track as the loop drop entered on the right and exited on the left some 8-10ft I can see some trick track of some type or just a steady vear over that will be barely noticable. However that should be fast, VERY FAST and the second helix and the Camelback that never had airtime but when it was running it's best wanted too. MAY IN FACT HAVE IT now.

Chuck, not yelling, Emphasizing.

> 1. The coaster accidents findings weren't the states
> findings although they closely mirror what the state found.
> THESE RESULTS were from a INDEPENDENT FIRM hired to do the
> investigation into the causes of the accident.
> Guess what? They found what many enthusiast have been
> saying all along, THE TRAINS are a big part of the problem.
> Namely their weight.

> I understand that the decision to remove the loop has
> little to do with the state inspectors or with Cedar Fair.
> It's simply an engineering decision. As you've stated, the
> trains were designed primarily to accommodate the loop and
> as a result were not suitable for the remainder of the
> course. Something had to be changed, and in the real world
> there is no option to tear it down and start over, as some
> have suggested.

> All though I've always felt the loop was the one part of
> the ride that actually worked well (the rest of the ride is
> questionable), I fully understand why the loop has to go.
> But don't hold your breath for an additional element to be
> added in its place. I think all we'll get out of this
> change - besides hopefully a more comfortable ride - will
> be that the lackluster second helix will be faster.

>

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by Ethan Ethan Profile at 12/14/06 4:30:16 PM

> You really consider X Flight a loss? I'd say its a gift.

Bankteller,

I don't agree with you in the least. First off, X-Flight is a great ride that is a HUGE loss to me. Second, if they didn't fix it up then another inceident could happen that could mean a life. And finally, this is NOT a big brother situation, it's about safety.

-Ethan-

My Brother's Website!

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 12/14/06 4:31:06 PM

Dude, Go to PKI, Have fun and enjoy it. FOF is one hell of a ride Top Gun is great, a little short. Drop Zone is killer. Delirium is a killer ride, You'll look at SOB upsidedown! The Beast is a little less beasty but still a good ride.

May I suggest you give a coaster at Holiday World your 100th? VOYAGE, What the beast was ment to be all along, A extreme machine that takes no prisoners!

Chuck

> Well, I must say I am very bummed! I haven't been to Kings
> Island since 1979,when the Beast first opened, and I loved
> it, but when they added SOB with the loop, I couldn't wait
> to try SOB out, as well. However, with limited vacation
> time and funds, I usually only get to go to my home park
> (SFGAm), Cedar Point for Coastermania, and whatever parks
> host ACE's annual convention. In 2007, Kings Island is one
> of the host parks, and I was so looking forward to SOB (as
> well as the Beast, almost 25 years later). I will still
> ride, of course, but I really wanted to experience the
> loop!!! I am sure SOB will be just as good without it, but
> I really wish I could have added the first and only wooden
> looping coaster in the world to my coaster list. I actually
> am going to hit my 100th coaster during my 2007 coaster
> convention, and I had almost decided it was going to be
> SOB, so I could say my 100th coaster was a world record
> breaking one... Dagnabbit! I still may have SOB as my 100th
> anyway, we'll just have to wait and see... It depends on
> what other coasters I get to ride before SOB...

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 12/14/06 4:47:47 PM

'

Whens that coasters and sex book come out? Does it cover Hermaphodites?

Chuck

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by coastermom coastermom Profile at 12/14/06 5:19:32 PM

LOL! Chuck! I guess I'll have to put in an "appendage" to the chapter!

The book is in the query letter stage right now, I'm shopping agents but I may do a self pub meanwhile at Lulu.com so I'll let you all know I promise!

-J

MusicalMom

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by Pete_C at 12/14/06 5:29:25 PM

I never understood the point of the loop other than to say "Hey we bolted a steel loop onto an otherwise all-wooden coaster." Big whoop. The loop is just a standard vertical loop that you can get on any steel coaster. It's nothing special. If the change to the track and trains improves the ride to be...you know...tolerable, then to me this is a big step in the right direction. I would far prefer a smoother ride than a gimmick that has already worn out its allure.

LOL @ junebugg by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 12/14/06 6:35:47 PM

> EUNUCH OF BEAST

> OUCH!

> I think I'll go with coastermom as Hermaphrodite of Beast
> sounds more controversial and it would sure cause quite a
> stir. I'd love to hear the parents explain that one to
> their kids at the park! LOL

LOL...well, since Hermaphrodite indicates a presence of BOTH male and female reproductive organs, I think I'll stick with Eunuch as Sonny is a HE and as far as I know, there was no mention of any of Sonnita's plumbing in Sonny that I know of!

He's been castrated through and through in my opinion, lol, and no other female organs grew in the empty spot----;>)~ hahaaa!!

~MommaBeast

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/14/06 8:15:38 PM

Daddy and Sonny will be as much fun as ever!...There!I have spoken!...Trust me on that, Snoozypooh!...

Mike

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by Link Link Profile at 12/14/06 8:33:21 PM

Let's see...take a coaster that is rough and boring and take out the only element that set it apart aside from its height.

A nice first drop. And that's it.

Could this be sabotage?

A tragedy and a shame. But sorry to say I'm not gonna cry over it.

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by zirbo at 12/14/06 8:37:15 PM

I agree with the people who say it's a good thing. That accident could've triggered more, serious accidents, and from what i've heard, the riding experience isn't very comfortable. Would you rather ride a thrilling, dangerous, possibly life threatening ride, or a safe ride, maybe not as thrilling (it's just a loop, sure it's the only wooden coaster with a loop, but were wooden coasters really meant for loops), but so much safer?

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by stormrider550 at 12/14/06 10:44:08 PM

Why is everyone so sure the loop is going to be removed? I don't see any mention of removing the loop in the Department of Agriculture's report. Is there some inside knowledge that I missed?

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 12/14/06 10:56:02 PM

> Why is everyone so sure the loop is going to be removed? I
> don't see any mention of removing the loop in the
> Department of Agriculture's report. Is there some inside
> knowledge that I missed?
>
www.extremepki.com

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by lost_boy at 12/15/06 8:13:49 AM

> Why is everyone so sure the loop is going to be removed? I
> don't see any mention of removing the loop in the
> Department of Agriculture's report. Is there some inside
> knowledge that I missed?
>
> www.extremepki.com

"Kings Island will now focus its energies on the appropriate an necessary changes needed to reopen the ride in 2007. In addition to reinforcing the physical structure of the ride, the Park plans to remove the loop."

This passage was taken from an article written upont he changes. By the article, it appears that removing the loop is optional to the park. Removing the loop allows PKI to reduce the weight of the trains. Assumably some structural componets of the train can be optimized for weight savings if it doesn't need to be robust enough to handle the stress imposed by the loop.

With a lighter train, the forces (and subsequest stress) experienced by the track itself will be reduced. If the helix was subcoming to the stress, it stands to reason you would want to eliminate this situation. Hence the reasoning for removing the loop.

It should be noted that the same effect could have been attained by reinforcing the track itself. Although there is always a trade off. Specifically, what comes to my mind, is that the cost of reinforcing the track to that extent may have been prohibitive leving only one choice. Reduce the stress by eliminating weight from the trains.

Apparantly removing the loop is going to ruin this coaster for some (if not most) people.

It may seam strange, but removing the loop will not destroy this ride for me. For whet ever reason I was never that geeked about the loop. I'll still like this coaster without the loop.

I think that Daddy has alway been the better coaster, but that is just me I'm sure.

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 12/15/06 9:19:33 AM

I'm obviously way late on this discussion but had to chime in anyways.

Back in 2002 when I got to ride SoB, my thoughts were that the only decent part of the ride was the loop. I found the rest of it rough, loud, painful, and for the most part boring. A layout of drop, helix, helix, drop, loop, helix, helix just doesn't appeal to me. :)

However, with them removing the loop this allows them to do some reworking on the rest of the ride. While the loop was easily my favorite part of the ride, really the only part I liked, if removing it will allow them to put on better trains that can track well, and improve the track some, then it can possibly turn around the rest of the ride and make it a good coaster instead of one of the worst on earth. If it can do that, then I'm all for it!

Sure a loop on a woodie is unique, and a good selling point. But what's that worth if the rest of the coaster is unrideable. Let them remove it and make a decent coaster out of it. They can still pitch the tallest, fastest, etc.

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 12/15/06 1:29:03 PM

I'll be honest, I'm on the fence about all of this. I could say burn it down, put in an Intamin or TGG wood, but here's what it comes down to, GCI does track work for coasters that need it, so let them come in, install the Millennium Flyer trains as Chuck mentioned, and see how it turns out. Obviously, they'll have to change the name of the coaster too.

Tim.

Re: LOL @ junebugg by junebugg junebugg Profile at 12/15/06 1:33:29 PM

> LOL...well, since Hermaphrodite indicates a presence of
> BOTH male and female reproductive organs, I think I'll
> stick with Eunuch as Sonny is a HE and as far as I
> know, there was no mention of any of Sonnita's
> plumbing in Sonny that I know of!

> He's been castrated through and through in my opinion, lol,
> and no other female organs grew in the empty
> spot----;>)~ hahaaa!!

> ~MommaBeast

Well who designated the loop as a male reproductive organ and then deemed it castrated since its planned for removal?

If you ask me the loop looks more representative of a female reproductive organ! LOL

Food for thought, no? :D

Re: LOL @ junebugg by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 12/15/06 1:36:44 PM

> Well who designated the loop as a male reproductive organ
> and then deemed it castrated since its planned for removal?

> If you ask me the loop looks more representative of a
> female reproductive organ! LOL

> Food for thought, no? :D

Good point! If you're going to neuter a coaster, try these rockets with their top hats... they all seem phallus-esque. :D

Tim.

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by coastermom coastermom Profile at 12/15/06 2:01:22 PM

It's almost an "Elana Bobbit" kind of thing! LOL!
So, I guess I'm going to have to plan another trip so I can do a "before/after" kind of thing with him!

Should be interesting! ;-)

MusicalMom

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 12/15/06 2:03:06 PM

> It's almost an "Elana Bobbit" kind of thing! LOL!
> So, I guess I'm going to have to plan another trip so I can
> do a "before/after" kind of thing with him!

> Should be interesting! ;-)

LOL! Jodi, they'll have to give SoB a new tag line... 'The first transgender coaster.' ;)

Tim.

Re: LOL @ junebugg by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 12/15/06 2:46:40 PM

> Well who designated the loop as a male reproductive organ
> and then deemed it castrated since its planned for removal?

LMAO...I was merely pointing out the sex of the lil son --- and now that you paint such a vivid picture (oh, the visualization!) of the er, uh, *loop* as perhaps being something other than well...uh, you know, maybe I should rethink the whole name changing thing. Yup...I got it:

IntraUterine Device Beast or we can just shorten it to IUD: The Ride. Poppa must be so proud! Hell, he above all knows what it feels like to be neutered. Hahaaahaaahaaa!

~MommaBeast

Re: LOL @ junebugg *NM* by junebugg junebugg Profile at 12/15/06 3:28:56 PM

User Submitted Picture

OH MY GOSH! by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 12/15/06 8:02:18 PM

My mouth has dropped open; I am agape staring at my comp and laughing so hard I'm about to pee myself.

Undeniably one of the funniest pix I've seen in a long, long time!

;>)

~Momma-(breathe!breathe!)-Beast

Junebugg is URC's undisputed king of funny. by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 12/15/06 8:56:14 PM

Junebugg is definitely the king of funny; First that Kraken blast a while back, now this. That's the funniest post that I've seen in a while. LOL.

....And in this corner..... by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 12/15/06 9:49:25 PM

> Junebugg is definitely the king of funny; First that Kraken
> blast a while back, now this. That's the funniest post that
> I've seen in a while. LOL.

Is junebugg the KING or QUEEN of funny? I always assumed she was a she; yet I remember long ago a few odd posts about drag queens and such...what was that discussion anyway? And how did it relate to coasters? LOL.....

And what was the Kraken blast? I must see this!

~MommaBeast

Re: LOL @ junebugg by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/16/06 6:53:51 AM

>
Too bleeping funny, Junebugg!..Made MY morning!

Mike

Re: LOL @ junebugg by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 12/16/06 7:00:09 AM

>
> Too bleeping funny, Junebugg!..Made MY morning!

> Mike

Being an openly gay man, dare I ask is that what I THINK it is in the pic??

Ewwww.

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/16/06 8:55:22 AM

> Dude, Go to PKI, Have fun and enjoy it. FOF is one hell of
> a ride Top Gun is great, a little short. Drop Zone is
> killer. Delirium is a killer ride, You'll look at SOB
> upsidedown! The Beast is a little less beasty but still a
> good ride.

> May I suggest you give a coaster at Holiday World your
> 100th? VOYAGE, What the beast was ment to be all along, A
> extreme machine that takes no prisoners!

> Chuck

Chuck, DUDE, check the profile...I know most posters here are male, but not EVERYONE'S a "Dude!"..there's a lotta cool coasting ladies out there in URC land!...so here's to all of you ladies, especially you, SNOOZYPOOH!...after all, you shouldn't have to be called "DUDE!"

Mike

>

Re: LOL @ junebugg by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/16/06 9:01:02 AM

>

> Mike

> Being an openly gay man, dare I ask is that what I THINK it
> is in the pic??

> Ewwww.

> Joe
> Great_Ump

Joe, although Junebugg's profile does not reveal gender, I will place the burden of answering your very valid question in his or her court..if he or she chooses to!...

Mike

Re: LOL @ junebugg by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 12/16/06 9:20:32 AM

>

> Mike

> Being an openly gay man, dare I ask is that what I THINK it
> is in the pic??

> Ewwww.

> Joe
> Great_Ump

> Joe, although Junebugg's profile does not reveal gender, I
> will place the burden of answering your very valid question
> in his or her court..if he or she chooses to!...

> Mike

HER post.

*smooches*

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by darkelfling at 12/16/06 9:22:21 AM

Well, I am sad to see the loop removed because I haven't had a chance to ride it yet. But with that said, I can understand removing it to be able to switch cars as a cheaper alternative then overhauling the rest of the coaster.

I am curious though if they will be able to build a new wooden looper from scratch using the newer technology - ala the pre-fab that El Toro uses. When I rode El Toro, I noticed right away how different the wood joints were and it looks like it would be able to handle more of a stress than a normal woodie. Also since El Toro has the steepest drop, I wonder how the straightening bend angle at the bottom of the first drop is compared to the arc of a loop? If that is comparable, then the cars used on El Toro would have the range of motion to be able to loop.

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 12/16/06 12:31:02 PM

Poor Junebugg, now everyone is going to think she's androgynous... lucky her lol! As for the Sonny pic, I am in tears as we speak it was that funny. Keep it up, Junebugg. :D

Tim.

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by junebugg junebugg Profile at 12/16/06 3:15:20 PM

> Poor Junebugg, now everyone is going to think she's
> androgynous... lucky her lol!

Am I androgynous?

You be the judge..... User Submitted Picture

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 12/16/06 7:06:13 PM

I can call her Dude if I wanna :)

OK, Dudette! :)

> good ride.

> Chuck

> Chuck, DUDE, check the profile...I know most posters here
> are male, but not EVERYONE'S a "Dude!"..there's a
> lotta cool coasting ladies out there in URC land!...so
> here's to all of you ladies, especially you,
> SNOOZYPOOH!...after all, you shouldn't have to be called
> "DUDE!"

> Mike

>
>

Re: LOL @ junebugg by lost_boy at 12/16/06 7:33:31 PM

OMG....

That is too hilarious. Junebugg must be some sort of photosop sevant!

No to explain that one to the kids....

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 12/16/06 7:43:02 PM

> Am I androgynous?

> You be the judge.....

She plays softball, wears flannel, has an amazing set of power tools and drives a Toyota Rav 4.

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 12/17/06 1:43:22 AM

> Am I androgynous?

> You be the judge.....

OMG! That was too funny! Is she the first androgynous enthusiast?

Tim, who thinks she has the style of a woman, the kiss of a man... Sorry June, I had to say that, even though I know no one will get the reference. lol!

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 12/17/06 3:25:13 PM

My bad Junebugg, I guess I assumed you were male, because of that kinda good old boy sounding screen name. The name June didn't ring a bell; I guess I'm pretty slow. LOL. You are definitely one of the more secretive URC members :)

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 12/17/06 3:51:28 PM

> My bad Junebugg, I guess I assumed you were male, because
> of that kinda good old boy sounding screen name. The name
> June didn't ring a bell; I guess I'm pretty slow. LOL. You
> are definitely one of the more secretive URC members :)

Heck, I'm still confused! LOL

Strong enough for a man, but made for a woman..er, uh...strong enough for a woman, but made for a man...gah!

~MommaBeast User Submitted Picture

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/17/06 3:57:48 PM

> My bad Junebugg, I guess I assumed you were male, because
> of that kinda good old boy sounding screen name. The name
> June didn't ring a bell; I guess I'm pretty slow. LOL. You
> are definitely one of the more secretive URC members :)

> Heck, I'm still confused! LOL

> Strong enough for a man, but made for a woman..er,
> uh...strong enough for a woman, but made for a man...gah!

> ~MommaBeast

There ARE no SECRETS on the URC discussion boards!..until now!

Good one MommaBeast!...maybe we should BAN them in the future!

Mike

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by Miss_C at 12/17/06 4:26:14 PM

Hey all!
I'm new to the boards! I live in Columbus and have gone to KI since I was 5! I, personally loved the SOB. I've rode it hundereds of times since it's opened. I do agree that it was a bit rough, but I loved it! I'm very disappointed that the loop is going to be taken out... I'm with those that say to bulldoze it and start from scratch!
My Uncle is actually part of the Construction Co. that is contracted with K.I. The loop will be officially taken down on Januaray 8, 2007 with weather permitting. They were told that they are just going to bridge over the space where the loop resided. Which completely sucks. That's why I said earlier to just bulldoze it and build up a better ride for '08!

> Paramount’s Kings Island releases Son of Beast statement
> (DEC 13, 2006) The State of Ohio’s Department of
> Agriculture released today its final report detailing the
> outcome of the extensive Son of Beast inspection. The
> report reaffirms initial indications that the incident was
> an unforeseen single event failure, which occurred on July
> 9.

> According to PKI officials, the park will now focus its
> energies on the appropriate and necessary changes needed to
> reopen the ride in 2007. In addition to reinforcing the
> physical structure of the ride, the coaster's single
> vertical loop will be removed. This will allow the ride to
> use lighter trains, which will reduce the load and lead to
> a more comfortable guest experience.

> PKI is making good progress on Son of Beast and are fully
> committed to reopening the ride in 2007.

http://myspace.com/jazmynnk

Ban, Indeed! by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 12/17/06 5:29:48 PM

> There ARE no SECRETS on the URC discussion boards!..until
> now!

> Good one MommaBeast!...maybe we should BAN them in the
> future!

> Mike

You have such Dry Ideas, Mike! I heard Mitchum wanted to Dial her up, but she flat out said, "Not on your Life, Buoy!"

Sure enough, the Degree of intensity in her Tone crushed his male ego. Determined to go on, he snapped back to his Old Spicey self and flirted with the first gal that sashayed his way. "May I have your Palm, Olive?" he Axe'd. "Yeah, Right! Guard! Guard! Over here! I'm being harrassed by this Brute....!"

So, alas, the story of junebugg breaking Mitchum's heart went down in history. Realizing he wasn't as Suave as he thought he was, he vanished into oblivion. Rumor has it he still pines for junebugg and sends her a dozen red roses on her birthday.

~lol~

Poor Mitchum!

Or should that be, 'Poor junebugg!'

Haaahaaa... ... ... ...

~MommaBeast User Submitted Picture

Re: Ban, Indeed! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/18/06 6:45:49 AM

> There ARE no SECRETS on the URC discussion boards!..until
> now!

> Good one MommaBeast!...maybe we should BAN them in the
> future!

> Mike

> You have such Dry Ideas, Mike! I heard
> Mitchum wanted to Dial her up, but she flat
> out said, "Not on your Life, Buoy!"

> Sure enough, the Degree of intensity in her
> Tone crushed his male ego. Determined to go on, he
> snapped back to his Old Spicey self and flirted with
> the first gal that sashayed his way. "May I have your
> Palm, Olive?" he Axe'd. "Yeah,
> Right! Guard! Guard! Over here! I'm being harrassed
> by this Brute....!"

> So, alas, the story of junebugg breaking Mitchum's heart
> went down in history. Realizing he wasn't as Suave
> as he thought he was, he vanished into oblivion. Rumor has
> it he still pines for junebugg and sends her a dozen red
> roses on her birthday.

> ~lol~

> Poor Mitchum!

> Or should that be, 'Poor junebugg!'

> Haaahaaa... ... ... ...

> ~MommaBeast

WOW! Harlequin romance material on the URC board! Danielle Steel, watch out! MommaBeast is moving in!..Maybe Fabio can be your cover boy...IF we could get a picture of an incident I remember reading about some time ago...I think he was riding a roller coaster and some kind of winged creature...OK, BIRD..collided with his rather large head!..anyone remember that occurence?

Thanks for the early Monday chuckle, MommaBeast!...after I typed my BAN thingie,I sat here trying to work some other brands in as you did...I drew a blank, and I'm ashamed of that....Maybe if Mitchum and Junebugg DO reunite, they can move to the COAST of the Emerald Isle and raise their children next to a beautiful, clear IRISH SPRING!

Palm,Olive....oooooohhhh, that one hurt!

Mike

LMAO, Mike! by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 12/18/06 7:41:07 AM

> WOW! Harlequin romance material on the URC board! Danielle
> Steel, watch out! MommaBeast is moving in!..Maybe Fabio can
> be your cover boy...IF we could get a picture of an
> incident I remember reading about some time ago...I think
> he was riding a roller coaster and some kind of winged
> creature...OK, BIRD..collided with his rather large
> head!..anyone remember that occurence?

Most certainly *DO* remember that one...He was riding Apollo's Chariot @ BGE and when me and my kids ventured a trip there shortly after the bird-hitting-brain incident (or bird-hitting-birdbrain-incident), I believe one of my clan sat in *thee* famous seat! LOL

And alas, I must confess, I am a writer at heart....my Secret's out, lol!

> Thanks for the early Monday chuckle, MommaBeast!...after I
> typed my BAN thingie,I sat here trying to work some other
> brands in as you did...I drew a blank, and I'm ashamed of
> that....Maybe if Mitchum and Junebugg DO reunite, they can
> move to the COAST of the Emerald Isle and raise their
> children next to a beautiful, clear IRISH SPRING!

THAT cracked me up!!!! Very clever indeed my friend, very clever indeed!

> Palm,Olive....oooooohhhh, that one hurt!

LOL....wonder where junebugg is in all of this? Hahaaaa....

~MommaBeast

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by snoozypooh snoozypooh Profile at 12/18/06 12:47:03 PM

Chuck,

Dude, I think you misunderstood my post. Where did I say I wasn't going to go to Kings Island? I totally said that I would still ride SOB, but that I was bummed to not be able to ride it with the loop. Kings Island is the first host park in ACE's convention, and I really can't wait. I am sure that I haven't experienced a majority of the rides since most have probably been added since 1979.

And I would like to make Voyage my 100th coaster, but Holiday World is near the end of ACE's convention, so I may have already hit my 100th by then. And I am not going to miss a few coasters at other parks just to make Voyage my 100th since this may be the only chance I get to go to these parks.

But thanks, for the advice, though.

Snoozypooh (A dudette, by the way... thanks to Mike - beastmaster - for sticking up for me...)

> good ride.

> Chuck

>

Re: LOL @ junebugg by coastermom coastermom Profile at 12/18/06 1:02:39 PM

> HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!!!!!!! Can I use that pic for the book!? That is so funny I'm speechless!!!

MusicalMom

Re: LMAO, Mike! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/18/06 9:33:43 PM

> WOW! Harlequin romance material on the URC board! Danielle
> Steel, watch out! MommaBeast is moving in!..Maybe Fabio can
> be your cover boy...IF we could get a picture of an
> incident I remember reading about some time ago...I think
> he was riding a roller coaster and some kind of winged
> creature...OK, BIRD..collided with his rather large
> head!..anyone remember that occurence?

> Most certainly *DO* remember that one...He was riding
> Apollo's Chariot @ BGE and when me and my kids ventured a
> trip there shortly after the bird-hitting-brain incident
> (or bird-hitting-birdbrain-incident), I believe one of my
> clan sat in *thee* famous seat! LOL

> And alas, I must confess, I am a writer at heart....my
> Secret's out, lol!

> Thanks for the early Monday chuckle, MommaBeast!...after I
> typed my BAN thingie,I sat here trying to work some other
> brands in as you did...I drew a blank, and I'm ashamed of
> that....Maybe if Mitchum and Junebugg DO reunite, they can
> move to the COAST of the Emerald Isle and raise their
> children next to a beautiful, clear IRISH SPRING!

> THAT cracked me up!!!! Very clever indeed my friend, very
> clever indeed!

Coming from you, MommaBeast, one of the funnier and clever posters on here, this (still relative) newbie..close to a year.. takes it as a true compliment ...and I was a journalism major myself...ya want fries with that?...

Mike

> Palm,Olive....oooooohhhh, that one hurt!

> LOL....wonder where junebugg is in all of this? Hahaaaa....

> ~MommaBeast

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/18/06 9:39:03 PM

> Chuck,

> Dude, I think you misunderstood my post. Where did I say I
> wasn't going to go to Kings Island? I totally said that I
> would still ride SOB, but that I was bummed to not be able
> to ride it with the loop. Kings Island is the first host
> park in ACE's convention, and I really can't wait. I am
> sure that I haven't experienced a majority of the rides
> since most have probably been added since 1979.

> And I would like to make Voyage my 100th coaster, but
> Holiday World is near the end of ACE's convention, so I may
> have already hit my 100th by then. And I am not going to
> miss a few coasters at other parks just to make Voyage my
> 100th since this may be the only chance I get to go to
> these parks.

> But thanks, for the advice, though.

> Snoozypooh (A dudette, by the way... thanks to Mike -
> beastmaster - for sticking up for me...)

Think nothing of it, Milady!

Mike

> good ride.

> Chuck

>
>

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/18/06 9:49:30 PM

>

Boy, this thread has gone TOTALLY off the rails, hasn't it? I love it!...and I'm proud to be part of it!!!...We've got a missing loop! We've got Fabio! We've got dudes and dudettes! We've got Junebugg's awesome creativity!...We've got hermaphrodites and eunuchs!...We've got opinions up the wazoo!..This is what it's all about, BABY!

Mike

Re: LMAO, Mike! by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 12/19/06 5:03:33 AM

> Coming from you, MommaBeast, one of the funnier and clever
> posters on here, this (still relative) newbie..close to a
> year.. takes it as a true compliment ...and I was a
> journalism major myself...ya want fries with that?...

Awww, shux...thank you for the compliment. And speaking of compliments, yours was well-deserved my friend.

I think I'll switch out those fries for an apple pie if'n ya don't mind...

:>)

~MommaBeast

Off the Rails is Right! by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 12/19/06 5:13:34 AM

>

> Boy, this thread has gone TOTALLY off the rails, hasn't it?
> I love it!...and I'm proud to be part of it!!!...We've got
> a missing loop! We've got Fabio! We've got dudes and
> dudettes! We've got Junebugg's awesome creativity!...We've
> got hermaphrodites and eunuchs!...We've got opinions up the
> wazoo!..This is what it's all about, BABY!

> Mike

Hahaaa...derailed, indeed! Question remains, WHERE HAS JUNEBUGG RUN OFF TO?

The Harlequin has turned into a Mystery! Call Grissom! While no crime has been committed (yet - that we know of), he loves rollercoasters -- which allows us to keep this thread On Topic!! In one episode, he mentioned Son of Beast as his favorite AND the only reason he agreed to speak at a convention in Cincinnati -- so he could ride it! You go, CSI Las Vegas!

~MommaBeast

Re: LMAO, Mike! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/19/06 7:07:11 AM

> Coming from you, MommaBeast, one of the funnier and clever
> posters on here, this (still relative) newbie..close to a
> year.. takes it as a true compliment ...and I was a
> journalism major myself...ya want fries with that?...

> Awww, shux...thank you for the compliment. And speaking of
> compliments, yours was well-deserved my friend.

> I think I'll switch out those fries for an apple pie if'n
> ya don't mind...

> :>)

> ~MommaBeast

Coasters, Eunuchs, and Apple Pie...it doesn't get any more AMERICAN than that!

Mike

Re: Off the Rails is Right! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/19/06 7:24:09 AM

>

> Boy, this thread has gone TOTALLY off the rails, hasn't it?
> I love it!...and I'm proud to be part of it!!!...We've got
> a missing loop! We've got Fabio! We've got dudes and
> dudettes! We've got Junebugg's awesome creativity!...We've
> got hermaphrodites and eunuchs!...We've got opinions up the
> wazoo!..This is what it's all about, BABY!

> Mike

> Hahaaa...derailed, indeed! Question remains, WHERE
> HAS JUNEBUGG RUN OFF TO?

> The Harlequin has turned into a Mystery! Call Grissom!
> While no crime has been committed (yet - that we know of),
> he loves rollercoasters -- which allows us to keep this
> thread On Topic!! In one episode, he mentioned Son
> of Beast as his favorite AND the only reason he
> agreed to speak at a convention in Cincinnati -- so he
> could ride it! You go, CSI Las Vegas!

> ~MommaBeast

Remember George Segal's inspector/investigator character in the movie ROLLERCOASTER?(in SENSURROUND)..maybe he can work with Grissom and help us find Junebugg!...he did a good job tracking down Timothy Bottoms' coaster bomber(one of the great psycho performances in the movies!).....Trivia question..what now major, Academy Award winning actress played Segal's young daughter in ROLLERCOASTER? Trivia Part 2..what were the two other movies of the era to be shot enhanced with SENSURROUND?

No prizes, sorry..unless Eric has an extra copy of Thrillville
lying around!

I don't watch CSI, but I did see(thanks to a tip from my boss) the episode that revolved around a coaster accident...is that the one where this info about Grissom came out?...he and I share SOB as our favorite...I wonder how GRISSOM would feel about the loop removal? ALL RIGHT!!! WE'RE BACK ON TOPIC!!!!..well, sorta...anyway.

Mike

Re: Off the Rails is Right! by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 12/19/06 12:39:56 PM

Helen Hunt played George Segal's daughter in ROLLERCOASTER.

Re: Off the Rails is Right! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/19/06 12:50:10 PM

> Helen Hunt played George Segal's daughter in ROLLERCOASTER.

To quote Leslie Nielsen in The Naked Gun...BINGO!"

Way to go, G-Dog!

Mike

Re: Off the Rails is Right! by junebugg junebugg Profile at 12/19/06 1:02:43 PM

Oh I'm just sitting back laughing my butt off and the new drama that has unfolded with this!

CALL OFF THE HUNT! SHE HAS BEEN FOUND! by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 12/19/06 1:21:25 PM

> Oh I'm just sitting back laughing my butt off and the new
> drama that has unfolded with this!

*Whew* junebugg...you gave us a scare there. Mitchum didn't man-handle you did he? Why I'll....I'll...I'll suds him up real good if he did!

~MommaBeast

Re: CALL OFF THE HUNT! SHE HAS BEEN FOUND! by junebugg junebugg Profile at 12/19/06 1:32:42 PM

> *Whew* junebugg...you gave us a scare there. Mitchum didn't
> man-handle you did he? Why I'll....I'll...I'll suds him up
> real good if he did!

> ~MommaBeast
>

Mitchum couldn't handle this bugg-a-boo!

I'll make that fool SWEAT 24/7!

Hmmm... by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 12/19/06 2:05:06 PM

> real good if he did!

> ~MommaBeast
>

> Mitchum couldn't handle this bugg-a-boo!

> I'll make that fool SWEAT 24/7!

Hmmmm...my advice is to dump Mitchum and get with that hunk from the cover of Brawny towels. At least he'll have something with him to mop up the sweat with.

I've come full circle now: Harlequin writer--->Mystery Maven--->Advice Columnist.

*whew*

I'm tired now.

lol,
~MommaBeast

Re: Off the Rails is Right! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/19/06 8:23:14 PM

> Oh I'm just sitting back laughing my butt off and the new
> drama that has unfolded with this!

Junebugg,if you've laughed your butt off, will THAT end up in a picture on this thread?..Heck, that's about the only thing this thread DOESN'T have!....

P.S...to MommaBeast.."I'll SUDS him up?"...do it...that'll CLEAN his clock!

Mike

Re: Hmmm... by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/20/06 7:15:43 AM

> real good if he did!

> ~MommaBeast
>

> Mitchum couldn't handle this bugg-a-boo!

> I'll make that fool SWEAT 24/7!

> Hmmmm...my advice is to dump Mitchum and get with that hunk
> from the cover of Brawny towels. At least he'll have
> something with him to mop up the sweat with.

> I've come full circle now: Harlequin writer--->Mystery
> Maven--->Advice Columnist.

> *whew*

> I'm tired now.

> lol,
> ~MommaBeast
>
I can't blame you for being tired, MommaBeast..it's taking everything we've got to keep this storyline going...HOW'S IT GONNA END?...cliffhanger 'til the sequel?..will it wrap up?..or will it just fade away?...like old rock stars...or soldiers, to use the original quote.

Mike

Re: Hmmm... by coastermom coastermom Profile at 12/20/06 6:50:08 PM

How about Mr.Clean? He's kind of Yule Brenner-ish, a bit sexy. Mr.Clean can do the floors and Mr.Brawny can clean up the spill from our encounters with our men of wood & steel!

Did I mention back massages????

> Hmmmm...my advice is to dump Mitchum and get with that hunk
> from the cover of Brawny towels. At least he'll have
> something with him to mop up the sweat with.

MusicalMom

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by willb_43213 willb_43213 Profile at 12/24/06 10:40:35 AM

It worked for Steel Phantom.
And they took out alot more inversions.

Re: Off the Rails is Right! by BigShotRoz BigShotRoz Profile at 12/24/06 11:33:26 AM

.Trivia
> question..what now major, Academy Award winning actress
> played Segal's young daughter in ROLLERCOASTER? Trivia Part
> 2..what were the two other movies of the era to be shot
> enhanced with SENSURROUND?

Trivia Pt 1 has been answered, but one of the answers for Pt 2 is the movie EARTHQUAKE, quite effectively enhanced with SENSURROUND. What's the other movie?

Roz

Re: Off the Rails is Right! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/24/06 12:35:32 PM

> .Trivia
> question..what now major, Academy Award winning actress
> played Segal's young daughter in ROLLERCOASTER? Trivia Part
> 2..what were the two other movies of the era to be shot
> enhanced with SENSURROUND?

> Trivia Pt 1 has been answered, but one of the answers for
> Pt 2 is the movie EARTHQUAKE, quite effectively enhanced
> with SENSURROUND. What's the other movie?

> Roz
>
Good going, Roz!...Surprisingly enough, EARTHQUAKE star Charlton Heston ALSO starred in the third movie of this trifecta...MIDWAY (1976)..a war movie...oddly enough, considering my love for coasters, ROLLERCOASTER was the only one I DIDN'T see on it's original theatrical release...my passion hadn't begun to develop yet..then again, neither had I! LOL!..in 1976, I turned 12!..geez..that's THIRTY years ago!

We should have more trivia stuff on these boards, while keeping it related to coasters and parks...I know mine went off topic a bit...sorry, all!...here's another one...what influential band did a cover version in the late 80's of the old Freddy Cannon hit PALISADES PARK?

Mike

The Ramones???? *N/M* *NM* by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 12/24/06 7:38:15 PM

Re: The Ramones???? *N/M* by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/24/06 8:55:42 PM

> MommaBeast, I said last week you were funny and clever...now may I add, you know your music!...GABBA GABBA HEY!..Merry Christmas to you!

Mike

My secret weapon.... by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 12/25/06 9:42:12 AM

> MommaBeast, I said last week you were funny and
> clever...now may I add, you know your music!...GABBA GABBA
> HEY!..Merry Christmas to you!

> Mike

Woot, woot! Alas, add honest to your list of adjectives for me as "I get by with a little help from my net...."

~MommaBeast, wishing you a very Merry CHRISTmas!

Re: My secret weapon.... by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/25/06 10:42:58 AM

> MommaBeast, I said last week you were funny and
> clever...now may I add, you know your music!...GABBA GABBA
> HEY!..Merry Christmas to you!

> Mike

> Woot, woot! Alas, add honest to your list of
> adjectives for me as "I get by with a little help from
> my net...."

> ~MommaBeast, wishing you a very Merry CHRISTmas!
>
Nice to see someone who stresses the CHRIST in CHRISTmas...I just now got back from church!...have a great one, MommaBeast!

Mike

Re: My secret weapon.... by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 12/25/06 11:41:12 AM

> Nice to see someone who stresses the CHRIST in
> CHRISTmas...I just now got back from church!...have a great
> one, MommaBeast!

> Mike

A-men, Mike...and I hope your day, this season, and all year long is gloriously blessed.

~MommaBeast

Re: My secret weapon.... by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/25/06 12:04:21 PM

> Nice to see someone who stresses the CHRIST in
> CHRISTmas...I just now got back from church!...have a great
> one, MommaBeast!

> Mike

> A-men, Mike...and I hope your day, this season, and all
> year long is gloriously blessed.

> ~MommaBeast

Right back at ya, MommaBeast!

Mike

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by AL_W_ at 12/25/06 9:17:56 PM

> Better they should remove the coaster and save the loop -
> it was the only rideable part, IMO.

> Al W.
>

> I think you'll sing a different tune with some Millinnium
> Flyer trains and a airtime hill :)
>
Only time I rode SOB was in its first year, when problems with a new design are expected ("X," "TTD," "KingdaKa" anyone...?), so I'm keeping an open mind for next summer.
MF trains should make a huge difference, especially with an "airtime hill!" (Those Premier trains were a disaster!)

Al W

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by cjeagle35 at 12/26/06 10:39:35 AM

It seems the loop has been removed. You can see the pictures at www.pkicentral.com. There are some really good shots and they even have some more of the ongoing preparations by Flight of Fear.

I also have some questions, does anyone know how long it normally takes put in a relocated coaster? How long did it take Carowides to relocate Stealth and theme it as Borg Assimilator? At first I really doubted about X-Flight being moved to Kings Island, but now it looks more and more likely. I just wonder why they haven't put any footers in yet, the winter here in Ohio has been very mild, I thought they'd try harder to get this done, if it is X-Flight.

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by lost_boy at 12/26/06 8:27:49 PM

> It seems the loop has been removed. You can see the
> pictures at www.pkicentral.com . There are some really
> good shots and they even have some more of the ongoing
> preparations by Flight of Fear.

Great Pictures!!

It's interesting from a standpint that you don't get to see a modification to an existing design type of project too often. Most big announcements and subsequent "construction diaries, construction cams" and like stuff are usually centered around something shinny and new.

The other thing thing I would like to mention here is "hats off to PKI for doing what was necessary to save a coaster after a catastrophe that could have easilly closed it for good. It was a tough desision to be sure. However, I'm glad they saved it.

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by RollerMan82 at 1/7/07 2:36:40 PM

> I know I don't chime in here very often anymore, but when I
> saw this, I knew I had to.

> If you will remember from interviews, the whole point of
> SOB was to be the only looping wooden coaster on the
> planet. To accommodate this, it had to built so high and so
> fast.

> I think at this point, I would cut my losses and tear the
> thing down. In fact, if that wood weren't treated against
> fire, I'd say let's tear down SOB and Mean Streak and have
> one big-ole bonfire. I'll throw the first match.

I agree that the entire point of Son of Beast was to have the loop, but Mean Streak is a very smooth ride. Why get rid of Mean Streak? Do you know how few wooden coasters are still left? There are not many.

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by Shaft_STL Shaft_STL Profile at 1/8/07 1:51:30 PM

> I agree that the entire point of Son of Beast was to have
> the loop, but Mean Streak is a very smooth ride. Why get
> rid of Mean Streak?

If you're being serious, you're going to have a hard time finding anyone who agrees with you on this one.

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by Alpengeist Alpengeist Profile at 1/8/07 6:11:53 PM

> I agree that the entire point of Son of Beast was to have
> the loop, but Mean Streak is a very smooth ride. Why get
> rid of Mean Streak?

Are you serious? That ride is quite rough. To be fair, I haven't been up to CP in four years, but I can't imagine much has changed. I know from plenty of experience having worked up at CP. I got my share of coaster rides up at CP while I worked there, and, like eating a Hot Pocket, I can't remember getting done riding Mean Streak saying, "You know, I'm glad I did that" (Thank you Jim Gaffigan). The design isn't interesting, it doesn't pace well and you're ready to get off of it by the time you hit the station.

> Do you know how few wooden coasters are
> still left? There are not many.

I'm fine with fewer woodies as long as good ones like The Voyage, Hadies, Shivering Timbers and Lightning Racer keep on being built and crap like Hercules, that give woodies a bad name, go away. Since I don't visit many parks anymore, to be honest, the only woodies I need are a three hour drive away in Santa Claus, IN. They don't get much better than that, and in the case of the Voyage, they just don't IMHO. And yes, I live in Cincinnati and gladly drive to visit HW rather than visit PKI. The Beast is castrated now, I never enjoyed a SOB ride after my ride on opening weekend when it was glass smooth, and the Racer doesn't really do it for me. The Beastie doesn't count.

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by RobLec RobLec Profile at 1/9/07 6:12:45 PM

> I'm fine with fewer woodies as long as good ones like The
> Voyage, Hades, Shivering Timbers and Lightning Racer keep
> on being built and crap like Hercules, that give woodies a
> bad name, go away. Since I don't visit many parks anymore,
> to be honest, the only woodies I need are a three hour
> drive away in Santa Claus, IN. They don't get much better
> than that, and in the case of the Voyage, they just don't
> IMHO. And yes, I live in Cincinnati and gladly drive to
> visit HW rather than visit PKI. The Beast is castrated now,
> I never enjoyed a SOB ride after my ride on opening weekend
> when it was glass smooth, and the Racer doesn't really do
> it for me. The Beastie doesn't count.

Pretty much my feelings on all fronts. I still like Papa Beast, though he's not what he once was.

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by Cal at 1/10/07 6:43:48 AM

Wow, and to think I almost passed right by this thread because I already knew about SOB's loop...Just think of all the inter-gender banter I missed.
Oh and that side-busting line about Mean Streak being smooth. *wipes away a tear*

I like a nice big woodie as much as the next girl, but when they're rough they can hurt quite a lot!

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by Fraser Fraser Profile at 1/10/07 11:18:56 AM

> I like a nice big woodie as much as the next girl, but when
> they're rough they can hurt quite a lot!

But I like a woodie that allows you to get your legs in the air-so it's a shame they've taken Daddy's boy's loop away.

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by coastermom coastermom Profile at 1/10/07 2:46:32 PM

I liked the loop too but even without it, from the looks of that photo...this may end up being a top ten ride! Let's see how the new trains work. MF's on The Boss were horrible so I'm 50/50 with those trains because I loved The Ozark Wildcat at Celebration City and I think they are MF's?

It's big,...It's Hard,...It's a WOODIE!
Bring it on BIG BOY!!!!!!!! User Submitted Picture

MusicalMom

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 1/10/07 4:01:06 PM

What's up with of of these inversion removals on coasters. First Steel Phantom's (Phantom's Revenge) four vertical loops; Then Drachen Fire's corkscrew then the entire coaster got removed; Then Son of Beast's vertical loop; Then Batman and Robin the Chiller's two corkscrews. What's next, who knows.

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by junebugg junebugg Profile at 1/10/07 4:36:24 PM

> MF's on The Boss were horrible
> so I'm 50/50 with those trains because I loved The Ozark
> Wildcat at Celebration City and I think they are MF's?

I thought the Boss had Gerstlauer trains, not MF's???

The Boss was also done by CCI and I don't think GCII has yet put any of their MF's on coasters initially built by other companies.

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by coastermom coastermom Profile at 1/10/07 5:36:58 PM

>You're right Junebugg. Okay I think Lightening Racers are MF trains? I really loved LR at Hershey so...If that's the case I'll change my percent to 100%!! ;)
WOOF!
User Submitted Picture

MusicalMom

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by MABrider MABrider Profile at 1/10/07 7:56:58 PM

> >You're right Junebugg. Okay I think Lightening Racers
> are MF trains? I really loved LR at Hershey so...If that's
> the case I'll change my percent to 100%!! ;)
> WOOF!
>

Yes, Jodi, MF trains are on LR.
You'll also find them on Kentucky Rumbler and Thunderhead.
The latter being among the best woodies in coasterdom.

Mike B.

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 1/10/07 8:32:44 PM

>But I like a woodie that allows you to get your legs in the
air

I'm not touching that one, as tempting as it is.

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 1/10/07 8:57:29 PM

> What's up with of of these inversion removals on coasters.
> First Steel Phantom's (Phantom's Revenge) four vertical
> loops; Then Drachen Fire's corkscrew then the entire
> coaster got removed; Then Son of Beast's vertical loop;
> Then Batman and Robin the Chiller's two corkscrews. What's
> next, who knows.

Chris, you're making me cry! I rode SP only twice, in its last season before the revamp...I loved and miss DF and still wear my t-shirt...SOB as of now still ranks as my favorite(in the vast minority, I know, so spare me, people!)...B&R?...the Bat-track hasn't been open my last 5-6 GA visits...so that's as good as gone to me now...it was the far better of the two....little Bowie in my head now.."Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes"

Mike

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by Fraser Fraser Profile at 1/11/07 3:22:55 AM

> >But I like a woodie that allows you to get your legs
> in the
> air

> I'm not touching that one, as tempting as it is.

> Joe
> Great_Ump

>

Go on-you know you want to...

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by Cal at 1/11/07 10:54:30 AM

Touching anything of Fraser's is a risk affair at the best of times!

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by Fraser Fraser Profile at 1/12/07 6:52:26 AM

> Touching anything of Fraser's is a risk affair at the best
> of times!

And how would you know Missy????? :D

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by stachedogs stachedogs Profile at 1/17/07 12:47:47 PM

Well, I'm disappointed that the loop will be removed since I've yet to ride it. Hopefully the ride will be operating in time of ACE CoasterCon in June 07. However, in all fairness... when I first heard the announcement of a looping woodie....it just sounded gimicky. Despite being a huge coaster junkie, the thought of a looping wooden coaster seemed a bit absurd. After all, if you enjoy loops, there are so many more steel coasters that do it so much better. Why bother with a looping woodie???

Based on the fact no others have been made since, it's possible the looping woodie was not such a great idea. Perhaps I'm too tradtional, but years of riding have shown me wooden coasters are usually more potent on a more moderate scale (there are some exceptions). Keep the huge hills, monster helixes, for for godsakes LOOPS, for the steel coasters.

Let's all keep fingers crossed that KI is able to improve this coaster (I've not heard any positive reviews from friends who have ridden SOB). Maybe, just maybe, it will be a successful transformation like Phantom's Revenge, and not like the neutering of Rattler in Texas.

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by MABrider MABrider Profile at 1/17/07 2:38:58 PM

> Well, I'm disappointed that the loop will be removed since
> I've yet to ride it. Hopefully the ride will be operating
> in time of ACE CoasterCon in June 07. However, in all
> fairness... when I first heard the announcement of a
> looping woodie....it just sounded gimicky. Despite being a
> huge coaster junkie, the thought of a looping wooden
> coaster seemed a bit absurd. After all, if you enjoy loops,
> there are so many more steel coasters that do it so much
> better. Why bother with a looping woodie???

> Based on the fact no others have been made since, it's
> possible the looping woodie was not such a great idea.
> Perhaps I'm too tradtional, but years of riding have shown
> me wooden coasters are usually more potent on a more
> moderate scale (there are some exceptions). Keep the huge
> hills, monster helixes, for for godsakes LOOPS, for the
> steel coasters.

Points taken, but the loop on SOB was a success, IMO.
It was smooth, smooth, smooth.
It was like a fast oasis amid all the other chaos.

Mike B.

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal *NM* by mspack94 mspack94 Profile at 2/8/07 2:00:27 PM

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by mspack94 mspack94 Profile at 2/8/07 2:03:09 PM

i hat it now, what will they put were the loop is removed! the ride will be so boring! and the coaster is really famous for the loop, which is the best part of the whole ride!!!!!!!but i will still like most of the ride but not all!!!!!!!

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by Shaft_STL Shaft_STL Profile at 2/8/07 4:03:08 PM

> i hat it now, what will they put were the loop is removed!
> the ride will be so boring! and the coaster is really
> famous for the loop, which is the best part of the whole
> ride!!!!!!!but i will still like most of the ride but not
> all!!!!!!!
>

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You haven't even ridden it since the changes. No one has. Don't complain until you have.

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by mspack94 mspack94 Profile at 2/11/07 1:59:58 PM

> i hat it now, what will they put were the loop is removed!
> the ride will be so boring! and the coaster is really
> famous for the loop, which is the best part of the whole
> ride!!!!!!!but i will still like most of the ride but not
> all!!!!!!!
>

> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> and !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> You haven't even ridden it since the changes. No one has.
> Don't complain until you have

U no it will be boring

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by Shaft_STL Shaft_STL Profile at 2/11/07 3:21:34 PM

> U no it will be boring

U no nothing until you ride it again with the revamped profile. And please, type like you've graduated elementary school.

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by bankteller bankteller Profile at 2/11/07 3:53:08 PM

> U no nothing until you ride it again with the revamped
> profile. And please, type like you've graduated elementary
> school.

How can you expect him to type that way when he hasn't graduated yet?

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by Shaft_STL Shaft_STL Profile at 2/11/07 4:22:16 PM

> U no nothing until you ride it again with the revamped
> profile. And please, type like you've graduated elementary
> school.

> How can you expect him to type that way when he hasn't
> graduated yet?

Well, that's difficult, haha. I'm going to assume she (ms) has graduated due to the 94 in the screen name. It's usually a dead giveaway of birth year. I guess we'll never know.

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by jjallright jjallright Profile at 2/14/07 12:44:06 PM

u all dont know what ur taking about, the coaster my be a little less fun because the loop is removed and most of us really like the loop the most

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal *NM* by mspack94 mspack94 Profile at 2/17/07 6:51:58 PM

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by mspack94 mspack94 Profile at 2/17/07 6:54:08 PM

> u now jj, those guys are as...holes!!!!!!!!! they dont know wat there talking about

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by jjallright jjallright Profile at 2/17/07 6:57:35 PM

> u now jj, those guys are as...holes!!!!!!!!! they dont know
> wat there talking about
>
i know they are matt, see we both graduated elementery school a long time ago, and y we tipe like this because its just easier!

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by mspack94 mspack94 Profile at 2/17/07 6:59:46 PM

I know and they no nothing about roller coasters because their retarted

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by jjallright jjallright Profile at 2/17/07 7:01:21 PM

> I know and they no nothing about roller coasters because
> their retarted

and they r stupied, idoits

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 2/17/07 8:01:37 PM

Lets try and type like we're not ten year olds. There are actual rules in the usage policy that state we are to type using correct punctuation, capitalization, and spelling to the best of our ability. So if you (ms, and jjwhatever) are typing to the best of your ability, then you are clearly at the age when calling people doodoo heads, and retards actually has an effect on people.

Grow up.

-RCF220

USAGE POLICY

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal *NM* by jjallright jjallright Profile at 2/17/07 9:14:18 PM

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by jjallright jjallright Profile at 2/17/07 9:15:31 PM

wr r grown up, and how about u grow up idoit!!!!!

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 2/17/07 9:41:51 PM

> wr r grown up, and how about u grow up idoit!!!!!

Thank you. Thank you so much for proving my point.
If you want any respect around hear, cut the crap. Such imaturity is not tolerated at this extremely respectable site.

once again, GROW UP!

-RCF220

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 2/18/07 7:12:39 AM

> wr r grown up, and how about u grow up idoit!!!!!

Don't feed the trolls. No matter how young and stupid they might be. :P

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by mspack94 mspack94 Profile at 2/18/07 12:35:37 PM

were sorry about all this, we were acully joking around!!

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by dmarksberry dmarksberry Profile at 2/19/07 10:23:22 AM

Now all sob is, is a taller beast!!!!

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by jjallright jjallright Profile at 2/19/07 1:38:57 PM

the sob is going 2 suck now
> Now all sob is, is a taller beast!!!!

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by jjallright jjallright Profile at 2/25/07 12:51:34 PM

> . poopy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> This says it all!!!

> Christy

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by dandiez1 at 2/27/07 1:25:03 PM

so when will this coaster open
> .
> poopy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> This says it all!!!

> Christy
>

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by mspack94 mspack94 Profile at 3/2/07 2:24:29 PM

they say it will open like memorilal day weekend with the fire hawk, im just guesing!
>

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by magnumholmes magnumholmes Profile at 3/3/07 9:55:32 PM

There has been a lot of rhetoric on this subject already and I haven't read all of it. But I will throw in my 2 cents worth anyway.

Part of the allure of PKI was SOB for me. I loved the coster, but I'm not 6-2 or taller. I could see where it would give taller people a rough ride. But aren't wooden coasters supposed to give you a little jolt here and there. OK, maybe for some they were huge jolts.

I love every element of the ride and don't want to see it changed at all.

However, if and when I make a return trip to PKI, I will try out whatever ride they have there, as long as it's a coaster.

The overall landscape of the park will forever be changed. That loop was awesome.

SOB, with the loop, still is one of my favorite (Top 10) wooden coasters, with The Voyage being the far-and-away No. 1, followed by Legend, The Boss, Raven, etc.

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 3/4/07 3:20:50 PM

> Part of the allure of PKI was SOB for me. I loved the
> coster, but I'm not 6-2 or taller. I could see where it
> would give taller people a rough ride.

I'm 5'8", which isn't a "taller" person, and it gave me an incredibly rough ride. It has nothing to do with a person's height but everything to do with the incredible roughness of the coaster itself.

> But aren't wooden
> coasters supposed to give you a little jolt here and there.
> OK, maybe for some they were huge jolts.

A little jolt here and there isn't a problem, but I would disagree that they're "supposed" to give you a jolt. Some might, some don't. There are some woodies out there that most certainly don't, and they don't have to. But moderate shaking around as part of the ride doesn't bug me. Slamming me and attempting to break my knees, ankles, ribs, etc does.

> However, if and when I make a return trip to PKI, I will
> try out whatever ride they have there, as long as it's a
> coaster.

SOB will still be there, just without the loop, new trains, and fully retracked. I just have a feeling that when all is said and done you'll probably enjoy the new version more than the old since hopefully it won't slam you around anywhere like it used to.

> The overall landscape of the park will forever be changed.
> That loop was awesome.

Won't change it that much, just the loop which was hard to see anyways.

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 3/4/07 3:34:21 PM

> Won't change it that much, just the loop which was hard to
> see anyways.

I agree that the lost of the loop won't change the landscape, but IMO the hidden loop brought a certain mystique unparallel to any coaster I ever been on. I don't see anything positive concerning the lost of SOB's loop.

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by sarcm701 sarcm701 Profile at 3/8/07 2:29:38 PM

Now that the loop is gone the only record or thing it's famouse for is its the tallest and fastest woodie in the world. I agree that now its going to be pretty boring without the loop, cause thats what everyboby goes on it for. The fact that it's now just like any other woodie.

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 3/9/07 6:55:33 AM

> The fact that it's now just like any other woodie.

Only taller, faster, longer...

Interesting news out now- apparently the new trains for it are Gerstlauers. There goes our hopes of PTC's on it.

I still think that they're going to be better than the old Premier trains, and smoother than it was, but it's still going to have problems with people getting their legs and knees bashed because of how the Gerstlauer trains put in their lap bars.

It's still gotta be better than it was. While I loved the loop, and hated the rest of the ride, the loop was what necessitated the overly heavy trains which beat up and ruined the rest of the ride. Getting rid of the loop seems like they removed the best part, but it should let them make the rest of the ride worth riding instead of a torture test- even with Gerstlauers.

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by coastermom coastermom Profile at 3/9/07 4:20:50 PM

EWWW! How sad, PTC's would've been so much better. I rode The Boss in St.Louis with those trains and they felt too small even for me and I'm 5ft 1!! It was a brutal ride and it was squishy! I'm still going to ride it this year because I need to for my project but PTC's would've been so nice!

MusicalMom

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by Shaft_STL Shaft_STL Profile at 3/9/07 4:51:07 PM

Gerstlauer's would be a major mistake for SoB. Hopefully this rumor isn't true.

The Boss was FANTASTIC with PTC's borrowed off the Screamin' Eagle for media day. Too bad it couldn't keep them.

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 3/9/07 7:08:12 PM

From what I'm reading, that's what the park reps at Eastcoaster told the people. Supposedly, according to the story, PTC had a backup of orders and couldn't get the trains done for them in time, so they went to Gerstlauer. At least that's what I'm reading in other places.

Re: The ride won't be neutered and here's why! by glareonthesnare glareonthesnare Profile at 10/14/08 9:43:06 PM

the new trains they got are from hurricane:category 5....the ride shut down......so they took them

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by rollercoastersfreak rollercoastersfreak Profile at 10/15/08 11:43:06 AM

hey come now the boss is one of the best roller coasters at six flags besides mr. freeze of course

And I know why they took the loop out of SoB
27 people were sent to the hospital with back and neck injuries due to the weight of the cars.

http://http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080722114142AAiJCXP

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by Katie Katie Profile at 10/15/08 11:45:57 AM

No there was a piece of wood that cracked sending the riders against the lapbars that actually sit on your stomach/chest area.

They took out the loop to put in lighter trains which did come from MBH.

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by rollercoastersfreak rollercoastersfreak Profile at 10/15/08 1:02:08 PM

sorry I just got that from the wrong source

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by Shaft_STL Shaft_STL Profile at 10/15/08 1:58:16 PM

Re: Son of Beast Loop Removal by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 10/15/08 2:33:37 PM

>
>

Amen Shaft!

Joe
Great_Ump