Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Maverick Officially announced

Maverick Officially announced

junebugg junebugg Profile

Posted:
9/7/06 at
5:16:56 AM

http://maverick.cedarpoint.com/

Opening: May of 2007

Track Length: 4,450 feet
Lift Height: 105 feet
Angle of Lift Hill: 20 degrees
Vertical Drop: 100 feet
Angle of Descent: 95 degrees

Time: Approx. 2 minutes, 30 seconds
Speed of First Drop: Approx. 57 mph
Speed of Second Launch: Approx. 70 mph
Capacity: Approx. 1,200 riders per hour

Coaches:
Six 12-passenger trains
Three cars, with four seats per car, per train
Tiered seating on the coaster's cars for better viewing (similar to stadium seating)
Design: Fiberglass and steel coaches with over-the-shoulder restraints and interlocking seat belts

Cost: $21 million

Re: Maverick Officially announced by cedarpointfan9261 at 9/7/06 5:48:22 AM

The ride dissapoints me.. It make's me depressed. I thought It would be something huge, and more thrilling than the millenium force. I expected it to be a record breaker, but, I can't always get what I want I guess. I think it's because I just want things to get greater and bigger and faster, I am addicted to the thrill of the coaster!! But, Im not sure that im too crazy for the Maverick!

Re: Maverick Officially announced by junebugg junebugg Profile at 9/7/06 5:56:47 AM

> The ride dissapoints me.. It make's me depressed. I thought
> It would be something huge, and more thrilling than the
> millenium force. I expected it to be a record breaker, but,
> I can't always get what I want I guess. I think it's
> because I just want things to get greater and bigger and
> faster, I am addicted to the thrill of the coaster!! But,
> Im not sure that im too crazy for the Maverick!

OK there's one CP Fan boy put in check! :-P

How many more do we have to go? :D

Re: Maverick Officially announced by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 9/7/06 6:07:45 AM

> OK there's one CP Fan boy put in check! :-P

> How many more do we have to go? :D
>

Not me.

Color me uninpressed as well.

Don't get me wrong, It will ADD TO THE PARK experience for CP's customers but heres my reasons for bing unimpressed.

1200pph? Expect huge and I mean huge waits 3hrs+

The manufacturer IMHO has failed misserably in providing reliable rides

Now Im the first to admitt I really think records are overrated, But yeah, I was expecting them to beat the inversion record or something.

Chuck, who don't think it will be a bad ride by any means. Heck, It may even be great. For that I reserve judgement. Only stating my initial impressions.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by junebugg junebugg Profile at 9/7/06 6:28:34 AM

> 1200pph? Expect huge and I mean huge waits 3hrs+

That capacity is atrocious. Especially for a park that can average well over 50,000 every day of the summer.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by imagineer imagineer Profile at 9/7/06 7:01:48 AM

I can't believe that they are going with three cars per train. the lines are going to be rediculously long. They have six trains, but we see how well that worked for TTD. I'm not dissapointed though. It looks like a fun coaster, but now CP has three launch coasters. This one has LSMs, TTD uses a hydrolic motor, and Wicked Twister has LIMs. There isn't much more that they could do with a launch. I'm all for another wooden coaster in the next few years (maybe a GCI or Intamin).

Zac

P.S. Is Maverick using the old WWL station, because it looks like it in the POV.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Maverick Officially announced by RobLec RobLec Profile at 9/7/06 7:52:07 AM

> P.S. Is Maverick using the old WWL station, because it
> looks like it in the POV.
>

Yes, it says so on the stats page.

BTW it looks like a fun ride to me, sort of like (at last) a longer version of TIJ:ST without the expensive special effects. But 21 mil is a huge chunk of change for a company that's nickel and diming at every other park they own.

But I agree the capacity will be a huge issue, especially during the first year, when rides are subject to frequent breakdowns.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by deeturnerjr at 9/7/06 7:58:56 AM

I have mixed emotions about this coaster. I want to like it, but Im just not sure. Some of the elements look pretty cool. I like the launch over the air time hill, and the launch in that really long tunnel will probably be pretty cool.
The inversions look like nothing really new to me. The heartline might be pretty extreme if its as close to the ground as it looks.
Im glad they attempted to theme this coaster because its going to add to the experience, and help intensify the effects.

However, WTF??? are they thinking???? 1200 capacity???

Thats almost the lowest of the coasters there!!

The lines for this are going to be outrageous!!

I for one hope they have it open for early resort entry, if not then I hope to god I get lucky and go on an off day.

Thats my only real complaint about the addition. It looks like its going to be interesting to ride, and Im looking forward to riding it this coming summer.

DEE

I had to add... I am concerned about the lines being long for maverick, but maybe that will decrease the lines for the other coasters :)

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/7/06 8:08:09 AM

I wonder what's gonna be the average reaction of the riders when the train arrives on the brake run.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 9/7/06 8:11:46 AM

Dee, I agreee a lot with your opinions. CP is taknig a big risk with this coaster - it would have been easy for them to put up a record-holder of some sort. However, CP said "Enough is enough," and their website explains the idea behind this coaster the best - "the focus of building Maverick was to create an all-around fun roller coaster."

The videos on the website truly look FUN! The elements are nothing really new, but it looks like Intamin really challenged itself to focus on the pacing of the coaster (which looks fantastic by the way). Pacing can be the most difficult part to master!

I can't call Maverick a disappointment yet, of course, but it is something no one was really expecting. it's kind of a buffet of elements - 95 degree drop, corkscrews and rolls, LSM launch - so we will see if CP and Intamin got it right. This coaster is truly an effort to make an original ride out of very common, sometimes over-used elements.

- Pat-O

PS - I have never ridden an Intamin with OTSRs. How do yall think the air time hills and fast-paced banked turns will feel? Will the OTSRs bang you around at all?

Re: Maverick Officially announced by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 9/7/06 8:12:36 AM

> P.S. Is Maverick using the old WWL station, because it
> looks like it in the POV.
>

> Yes, it says so on the stats page.

> BTW it looks like a fun ride to me, sort of like (at last)
> a longer version of TIJ:ST without the expensive special
> effects. But 21 mil is a huge chunk of change for a
> company that's nickel and diming at every other park they
> own.

> But I agree the capacity will be a huge issue, especially
> during the first year, when rides are subject to frequent
> breakdowns.

I don't see CF nickel and diming every other park they own. I see them doing exactly what they say they will do. Put 22 percent of the profit from each park back into that particular park.

CP draws twice as many people as WOF. Five times more than MIA, A third more than dorney and Knotts.

Each park has gotten major attractions in recent years with MIA trailing the field.

Now PKI draws just as many people as CP but the revinue is less do to no resorts (Yet) and CP draws from a larger market. Meaning less are SP holders.

I see no reason PKI won't get some major attractions every couple years.

Chuck, who thinks PCW will probably benifit the most from CF takeover as their attendance has now beatten both of them.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Katie Katie Profile at 9/7/06 8:12:42 AM

This ride just doesn't say "COME RIDE ME!" I am quite surprised that they chose a coaster like this. If and when I ever decide to visit CP again I will ride it, but I sure as hell won't wait in a 4+ hour wait the first year it opens.

CNA RULES!!!

Re: Maverick Officially announced by chillforce chillforce Profile at 9/7/06 8:29:43 AM

God forbid Cedar Point from putting in a normal sized coaster that may be a tad under the normal operating numbers. Well get this, Maverick looks like a fun coaster that will do fine with the line up at Cedar Point. Because of its' size, do you think it is going to draw millions like TTD and MF the first year?

The lines on MF and even TTD are nowhere near as bad as the first year, sometimes they are almost non existant. CP will handle Maverick well and it looks like they have a coaster I need to go up and try.

Ed

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 9/7/06 8:36:20 AM

It's not the record breaker so I'm not disappointed there, but rather quite the opposite. Now here's what's going to piss offf a few people, besides the capacity is people are going to be turned away because of Intamin's smaller seats, and the board is going to be littered with those complaining because of that.

I am slightly disappointed as I was hoping it was going to be a Wing Walker, but as Pat said, it looks like it's going to be fun, and quite frankly I think it will be. I was quite surprised with the theming, I mean they definitely out did themselves as it's just not a grand stand with a few flags, and the lights to say go!

Tim.

Katapult, and not the Clientele

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 9/7/06 8:36:54 AM

It's not the record breaker so I'm not disappointed there, but rather quite the opposite. Now here's what's going to piss offf a few people, besides the capacity is people are going to be turned away because of Intamin's smaller seats, and the board is going to be littered with those complaining because of that.

I am slightly disappointed as I was hoping it was going to be a Wing Walker, but as Pat said, it looks like it's going to be fun, and quite frankly I think it will be. I was quite surprised with the theming, I mean they definitely out did themselves as it's just not a grand stand with a few flags, and the lights to say go!

Tim.

The Clientele

Re: Maverick Officially announced by deeturnerjr at 9/7/06 9:06:09 AM

> PS - I have never ridden an Intamin with OTSRs. How do yall
> think the air time hills and fast-paced banked turns will
> feel? Will the OTSRs bang you around at all?

Thats a good point. I forgot all about the restraints they are going to use. I have ridden StormRunner, and I wasnt too impressed with the restraints on it. Im not sure if this coaster will have the same type as StormRunner, but if it does then IMO it will definitely take a bit away from the intensity.
However, I have to say the restraints on StormRunner didnt bash my head like other OTSR's.

DEE

Re: Maverick Officially announced by mucciared at 9/7/06 9:09:42 AM

Cedar Point noticed an industry trend to target family audiences, and this project will fulfill that goal without turning away thrillseekers.

A part of me thought this was going to be another HUGE project (inversions record) but it's probably better sooner than later that CP gets off that bandwagon. In time they will no longer be able to over deliver with that mentality, in my opinion.

Building rides with great elements and surprises makes a successful rollercoaster (Supermans, Voyage, Thunderhead, etc.) not money and records.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by ray_p ray_p Profile at 9/7/06 9:51:04 AM

> God forbid Cedar Point from putting in a normal sized
> coaster that may be a tad under the normal operating
> numbers. Well get this, Maverick looks like a fun coaster
> that will do fine with the line up at Cedar Point.

Preach on, Ed. Preach on!

Ray P.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by MABrider MABrider Profile at 9/7/06 11:19:10 AM

> Preach on, Ed. Preach on!

> Ray P.

Hear hear!

Maverick does look like a lot of fun.
I know Storm Runner is, and Maverick is of the same style, with even more to it to add to that fun quotient.
Looks like a winner to me.
Hope it starts off its first season with a "reliable" label.

Mike B.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 9/7/06 11:35:19 AM

> Ray P.

> Hear hear!

> Maverick does look like a lot of fun.
> I know Storm Runner is, and Maverick is of the same style,
> with even more to it to add to that fun quotient.
> Looks like a winner to me.
> Hope it starts off its first season with a
> "reliable" label.

> Mike B.

I know you guys are right on. Too me after thinking more about it. I see the first complete ride experience from this coaster since mantis. MF while a good ride is about hype. TTD is totally about a record and a quickie.

Really, Raptor blew me away for its complete and well done layout and elements. I hope this is as good.

Chuck, who just can't quite get over the 21 million mark after riding a coaster 1/3 the cost thats in a leauge of its own but its not my wallet now is it?

Re: Maverick Officially announced by sparky sparky Profile at 9/7/06 11:35:58 AM

> Ray P.

> Hear hear!

> "reliable" label.

Maverick to me is a cross between Powder Keg, Storm Runner and California Screamin'. The short 3 car trains are due to the tight rollover into the 95 degree first drop. It'll be interesting to see how it operates. I'm picturing double train loading and dispatching like Dragster, with one heading up the lift while the other one parks at the base of the lift. As soon as the first train clears the block right before the mid-course launch, the second train advances up the lift.

Three pairs of these 12 passenger trains essentially equates to three train operation with 24 passenger trains.

It's basically a Powder Keg/California Screamin' ride done backwards (with the lift at the start and launch half way through the circuilt for blocking).

I'm really liking the looks of Maverick. It looks to have just the right mix of fun elements, negative g's, and interesting visuals. It may turn out to be the best coaster in the park.

-Mark

Re: Maverick Officially announced by deeturnerjr at 9/7/06 11:46:10 AM

The following is taken directly from the FAQ section of the Maverick page on CP's website:

------------------------------------------------------------
All riders on Maverick must be at least 48” tall to ride. Because of this height requirement, Maverick is a coaster that the entire family can enjoy. In addition, Maverick’s highest point is 105 feet – not as intimidating as rides like Top Thrill Dragster or Millennium Force.

Maverick itself will not break any world records. However, the focus of building Maverick was to create an all-around fun roller coaster. While all of Cedar Point’s rides deliver a different experience, Maverick will deliver one of the steepest drops on a roller coaster, fast-paced turns, eight “airtime” hills (where riders experience weightlessness), low-to-the-ground action and an exciting second launch.

---------------------------------------------------------------

This definitely answers the question of the direction that CP has taken with this coaster design.
After pondering for a while, I think they have actually made a very wise decision with Maverick. As someone else stated earlier in this thread, record breakers and money can only take you so far, then there arent any more records to break or money to be spent.

The more and more I look at this coaster, the more Im thinking it is going to be a very nice ride. Someone also mentioned "pacing". Which is a very good point, there are quite a few coasters that dont have very good pacing, and after studying Maverick for a while today, I think they have really did their homework this time.

My hats off to Intamin and CP for taking this venture.

Hopefully the capacity issue will not be as bad as I am anticipating though.

DEE

Re: Maverick Officially announced by bankteller bankteller Profile at 9/7/06 11:52:15 AM

What did I predict?

---
Posted 8/25/06 16:07 by yours truly:
http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/forums/cgi/forum1.cgi?read=173215

The new roller coaster at Cedar Point is an Intamin LIM launched coaster with three inversions. The CP fanboys are going to be really disappointed with the announcement. It's more of a family thrill ride than anything spectacular. Record breaking... far from it. No special trains either, so don't buy into those drawings that are being passed around. It's nothing more than a sit down looper with a LIM launch.
---

I called the coaster and yet some of you didn't believe me. How often do I post rumors? Also, what did I predict. Just as I called it. A fan boy is disappointed.

Not every single roller coaster that Cedar Point builds is going to be taller, faster and break records.

You may be disappointed, but I think it sounds like a great roller coaster. TTD is a one-trick pony. Yes, it's tall, it's fast, but it's over in 30-seconds and therefore it is not the definition of a good roller coaster.

Why is Gemini still my favorite at Cedar Point? Because overall, it is a great roller coaster.

Hip Hip Hurray for Maverick!

Desmond

Re: Maverick Officially announced by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 9/7/06 12:03:21 PM

Desmond, just want you to know that I completely agree with you on Gemini!

- Pat-O

Re: Maverick Officially announced by bankteller bankteller Profile at 9/7/06 12:12:07 PM

IntaRide, LLC designed Maverick

http://ultimaterollercoaster.com/coasters/yellowpages/coasters/maverick...

Who are these guys?

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Philrad71 Philrad71 Profile at 9/7/06 12:12:33 PM

I also agree that the coaster looks like a lot of fun! Of course, I will expect the long lines as any new coaster would. I honestly don't know if it could be any worse than some of the lines at SFMM with their 3-4+ hour waits for X on a Thursday!!!

I will choose my visitation to be at a time when there really are not a lot of people there (early to mid-May). I assume that this will be another coaster that will be made available ealry to guests staying at the Breakers, Sandcastle, etc...

I applaud CP for building what looks to be a very fun, smooth coaster! No record breaker here, but a fast, adrenaline charged ride that looks very well laid out! Similar in nature to 'Volcano' at PKD, which is also a very fun ride, but not a mega-giant.

Congrats to CP....they are still (and always will be) #1 in my book!!!!!

Re: Maverick Officially announced by bankteller bankteller Profile at 9/7/06 12:14:16 PM

> Desmond, just want you to know that I completely agree with
> you on Gemini!

> - Pat-O

Another Gemini fan. I raise a glass to toast you!

"Hand slapping is da' bomb!" Said in a fan boy way.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 9/7/06 12:24:58 PM

Is it just me, or does that hearline roll look pretty doggone intense as you get whipped through it?

- Pat-O

Re: Maverick Officially announced by LONNOL at 9/7/06 12:25:57 PM

Intaride is Intamin's US entity.

Adam

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Katie Katie Profile at 9/7/06 12:27:11 PM

I am not a CP fangirl by any means, and for those of you who know me personally know why. I give props to CP for this coaster, but to me it doesn't say come ride me. It would actually take something other then Maverick to get me to go back to the point.

I think the price tag is a little outrageous for the coaster though. I know it couldn't have taken that much for Powderkeg. I don't have the direct figures in front of me but I know the re-build wasn't 21 million dollars. And yes I know it was from S&S.

Back on point and I may or may not get flamed for this, but hey the lines will be one person less next year because I just don't see it being very reliable and I just don't feel like waiting in outrageous lines. It's intamin and with the other three in the park it took them how many years to get them to run that way, I wouldn't hold my breath.

But, like I said good for CP, let's hope they get this one right this time.

CNA RULES!!!

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Shaggy Shaggy Profile at 9/7/06 12:40:33 PM

> BTW it looks like a fun ride to me, sort of like (at last)
> a longer version of TIJ:ST without the expensive special
> effects. But 21 mil is a huge chunk of change for a
> own.

I couldn't agree more.

Additionally, I like CP but my reaction is pretty flippant. A new coaster at CP is hardly a novelty.

Just yesterday CF laid off several people at GL. They have already fired most of the Management at the Paramount Parks they recently aquired. Yet CP is getting an unnecessary multi-million dollar coaster? Whatever.

I understand that Maverick has probably been in planning stages for years. But I am surpised that CF hasn't realized that huge coaster installs are no longer driving their attendance. It makes little to no sense to me that they would invest another 20+ million on a high thrill coaster.

CP is rapidly growing to be a non-kid and non-family friendly park IMO. They consistantly add rides designed to intimidate and overly thrill. What about the kids that aren't so keen on going on a supercoaster? What are they getting next year?

This install is ridiculous IMO. It will not drive attendance like a family attraction could. It it utilizing company capitol that should have been used to pay off debt. It is costing the company millions, and in the meantime they are laying off staff left and right in order to "streamline" and "economize."

Oh, I am sure it will be fun... but I just don't "get" the business mindset behind it.

Shaggy

Re: Maverick Officially announced by bankteller bankteller Profile at 9/7/06 12:42:18 PM

> I am not a CP fangirl by any means, and for those of you
> who know me personally know why. I give props to CP for
> this coaster, but to me it doesn't say come ride me.

You enjoy standing in line for 2 hours to get a 30 second ride experience? I guess there are some of you out there.

There was a time when Cedar Point was building "great" roller coasters, but in recent years they seemed to get off track in this (hopefully it's over) quest to build taller or faster, but at the expense of the overall ride experience.

Top Thrill Dragster is a "Six Flags" style 30 second ride. It's a publicity ride, but it is not a great ride and that is typical of what Six Flags builds. Wicked Twister... it's fun, but not a complete roller coaster experience. The experience is more akin to that of a flat ride.

Historically, Cedar Point has built a number of great roller coasters like Gemini, Raptor, Mantis, and Magnum. You can even through in the Cedar Creek Mine Ride. Millennium Force while a complete ride leaves a lot to be desired. Its sister coaster Magnum is so much better.

Finally, instead of building another marketing trick, Cedar Point appears to be building a "real" roller coaster, one that enthusiasts will probably flock to and love! I guess not all, but I get the hint that this is the type of ride enthusiasts really like.

Here is a reverse example. Superman at SFNE. Now that is a Cedar Point ride in a Six Flags park.

$21 million will include the cost of landscaping and other touches that most parks do not spend money on. Powder Keg was built in a forest of trees. They didn't exactly have to landscape outside the station area.

> Back on point and I may or may not get flamed for this, but
> hey the lines will be one person less next year because I
> just don't see it being very reliable and I just don't feel
> like waiting in outrageous lines. It's intamin and with the
> other three in the park it took them how many years to get
> them to run that way, I wouldn't hold my breath.

The technology in Maverick isn't anything new. In defense of Intamin, Wicked Twister ran right great first season. TTD was a proto-type ride, but Millennium Force was pretty reliable. Also, California Screamin' ran without issues that I'm aware of from the get-go and that is what this ride is kind of similiar to.

They're going to be able to start firing trains down this track before the end of the year at the rate their going. So I'm sure they'll have plenty of time to test this coaster.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Shaft_STL Shaft_STL Profile at 9/7/06 1:53:18 PM

I am completely thrilled about Maverick. Like someone said before, it's a grab bag of elements all thrown together.

I like the fact that the inversion aren't the big draw; they're rather low to the ground and involve the theming/terrain. That's something relatively different in today's game.

There's plenty of airtime hills, and there's a serious launch in the middle of the ride. The transitions look downright NASTY; El Toro twister-section style.

People have complained about the lack of theming for years at Cedar Point, and now they step up and build something involving a fair amount. Guess what, it costs money. 21 million doesn't account for the ride itself.

Dollywood just announced Mystery Mine for 17.5 million and I didn't see one person complaining about that figure. I bet that 1,800 foot Gerstlauer won't be half as good as Maverick. People haven't even commented on the length of this ride. Nearly 5,000 feet is a good deal of track.

I'm also happy to see the ride using LSM technology, something that had somewhat faded from coaster installations due to the rise of hydrolics used on the Intamin rockets. IMO, LSM/LIM launched coasters are smoother than the hydrolics, and don't have the tiny delay towards the end of the launch when the cable detaches from the train.

I think this coaster is going to shock people in terms of ride quality. It represents elements of all genres and manages to maintain terrific pacing throughout. Powder Keg, El Toro, Colossus (UK), and Xcelerator all come to mind when pondering the design of this coaster.

Does Cedar Point need another coaster? IMO, yes. Lines are consistently long at peak times during the summer, and having another coaster is only going to help in dispersing people throughout the park. There is clearly a market within the park for this ride, regardless of the family-friendly label Maverick is touting.

The business end makes sense to me. Cedar Point has clear plans for investing their capital back into parks, and they have a distinct timeline for financing the buyout of the Paramount chain. They have several of the finest banks in the country backing and managing the financial aspects of the takover. I'm not concerned about them dropping 21 mil for Maverick with the level of preparedness and organization that Cedar Fair has shown.

The only gripe that seems valid to me is the the capacity issue. I fully expect lines of 3-4 hours next summer, but like someone else said, it sure makes riding our other favorites easier!

Re: Maverick Officially announced by jcarr71 jcarr71 Profile at 9/7/06 1:55:27 PM

I don't know what everyone is whining out. I'd much rather have great roller coasters than these ridiculous record breakers. Top Thrill and Kingda Ka are jokes. They are just a drop, a flat ride on steroids. Millenium Force is fun, but it is still lacking so much. The Nitros and Superman: Ride of Steels are where it is at if you're dealing with height. This ride sounds really unique to me and I can't wait to drop down a 95 degree drop INTO a launch hill, not to mention the entire rest of the ride.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by coastermom coastermom Profile at 9/7/06 2:26:37 PM

Hi Everyone!

I am really excited about this ride. I know it's not breaking any records but I can say that it looks like absolute FUN and I'm saving my $ for next year so Josh and I can go ride it! The tunnel blew me away when I was watching the video clip because I thought "That's IT!!!!That's the end???!!" then it exploded out of the tunnel! YEAH!! This looks like it's going to be a coaster of PURE FUN nothing else and I'm looking forward to it!

I hope I get to see lots of you guys at Coastermania on this. MF will always be my lover man but I think his little baby brother will have some nice things to give this Diva too!

http://www.cafepress.com/RCDivas

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Patripman Patripman Profile at 9/7/06 2:40:16 PM

> that will do fine with the line up at Cedar Point. Because
> of its' size, do you think it is going to draw millions
> like TTD and MF the first year?

> The lines on MF and even TTD are nowhere near as bad as the
> first year, sometimes they are almost non existant. CP will
> handle Maverick well and it looks like they have a coaster
> I need to go up and try.

> Ed

It doesn't matter if it draws millions or not Ed, Maverick is already MY number 1 steel coaster. How can you go wrong with this installation, it will be an automatic winner.

Patripman

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 9/7/06 2:49:11 PM

One less person in line? Works for me!

I just showed the animation to my brother, who rides, but doesn't want to be an enthusiast, and he even said it was going to be fun, and I salivated at the low to ground sero gravity roll as well as the back to back Stengel Dives.

Kudos to Cedar Point, you guys have done it right, even if the fanboys and the pessimists are whining.

Tim.

The Clientele

Re: Maverick Officially announced by bankteller bankteller Profile at 9/7/06 2:57:19 PM

> But 21 mil is a huge chunk of change for a
> own.

Why do you say that? Are you basing that on the recent layoffs? I'm curious as to your reasoning.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Ethan Ethan Profile at 9/7/06 3:17:07 PM

Looks like a great ride. I know it'll be fun. Besides, I think the website says one of the inversions is one of a kind, so there's the record for the fanboys. I love CP, and I am not at all disappointed by Maverick. Also, what's with all the people sayin' it's a family ride. Seems pretty thrilling to me! I think it's very dumb to whine about a ride you haven't even ridden yet.

-Ethan-

Re: Maverick Officially announced by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 9/7/06 3:41:39 PM

> But 21 mil is a huge chunk of change for a
> own.

> Why do you say that? Are you basing that on the recent
> layoffs? I'm curious as to your reasoning.

Im betting the layoffs are purely a result of how each park is doing. The paramount thing is a combining some depts. Getting rid of a few high salary possitions and putting in who they want.

Really, Getting rid of the Animal side of Geauga was a HUGE mistake IMHO. I can go ride rides or waterparks many places but that WAS THE DRAW of Geauga.

Chuck

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Katie Katie Profile at 9/7/06 3:45:57 PM

There will be people to whine and moan about this ride until they ride it. They always have and they always will. Just something enthusiasts do.

I know this much and like I said before looks like a good/cute ride. By all means go wait four hours the first year it opens. And lets hope that it becomes reliable. All rides believe it or not have down time during the first year. CP has that record for sure.

I just don't feel like spending my money at a park that I have to wait in huge lines for semi-decent operations, over-priced food and so on. No thanks. Hey if I get flamed for that by all means go ahead.

I have gone the more family-owned park route this year, not having been to one corporate owned park believe it or not. I saved a lot of money, had more rides for sure and better food.

I don't have to like CP nor do I have to like the ride. Yeah its a new direction for the park, but like I said you won't see me there anytime soon.

CNA RULES!!!

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Fraser Fraser Profile at 9/7/06 4:15:40 PM

Spoilt spoilt spoilt. You're all spoilt!
It looks like a great fun, long coaster-with a launch in the dark and some great scenic-interaction. Coasters don't have to be high and record-breaking to be fun. Look at nemesis at Alton Towers.
Now, whilst you are`all moaning that CP DARES to instal a SEVENTEENTH coaster that doesn't break any records, spare a thought for us over here in Blighty who have got the loss of two classic woodies to mourn (Cyclone and King Solomon's Mines at Pleasureland)and the relocation of a Vekoma Hang N Bang (Traumatizer at Pleasureland to Blackpool Pleasure Beach)as the main attraction next year. Whoop de doop.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 9/7/06 4:24:48 PM

> It doesn't matter if it draws millions or not Ed, Maverick
> is already MY number 1 steel coaster.

> Patripman

What a typical fan boy. Hasn't even ridden it and it's already his #1. At least you've grown up.

Is Flying Turns already you're #1 wood?

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 9/7/06 4:26:36 PM

> Coastermom wrote:
> I am really excited about this ride. I know it's not
> breaking any records but I can say that it looks like
> absolute FUN and I'm saving my $ for next year so Josh and
> I can go ride it!

Does this mean you're getting a divorice from X or just cheating on it?

Re: Maverick Officially announced by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 9/7/06 4:41:59 PM

> It doesn't matter if it draws millions or not Ed, Maverick
> is already MY number 1 steel coaster.

> Patripman

> What a typical fan boy. Hasn't even ridden it and it's
> already his #1. At least you've grown up.

> Is Flying Turns already you're #1 wood?

Honestly Im interested in Ripples View

But we haven't seen him lately.

Chuck

A group of park lovers

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Coaster911 at 9/7/06 5:30:10 PM

> Ray P.

> Hear hear!

> "reliable" label.

> Maverick to me is a cross between Powder Keg, Storm Runner
> and California Screamin'. The short 3 car trains are due to
> the tight rollover into the 95 degree first drop. It'll be
> interesting to see how it operates. I'm picturing double
> train loading and dispatching like Dragster, with one
> heading up the lift while the other one parks at the base
> of the lift. As soon as the first train clears the block
> right before the mid-course launch, the second train
> advances up the lift.

> Three pairs of these 12 passenger trains essentially
> equates to three train operation with 24 passenger trains.

> It's basically a Powder Keg/California Screamin' ride done
> backwards (with the lift at the start and launch half way
> through the circuilt for blocking).

> I'm really liking the looks of Maverick. It looks to have
> just the right mix of fun elements, negative g's, and
> interesting visuals. It may turn out to be the best coaster
> in the park.

> -Mark
>

I am in argeement with Ed and the others...oh boy what is the world coming too :)

I really like the looks of this ride and the video makes me want to go ride it. I loved SR and this looks to be a longer version of that plus some airtime hills. The near misses going through the rocks I think will be a great effect. Yes, this is going to be a fun coaster and it appears that CP is concentrating on a good ride experience and not just records. I am quite happy.

Kelly

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/7/06 5:50:16 PM

CP really knows how to conceal the "light at the end of the tunnel" on all of it's tunnel coasters. First there's Maggie with the last wavy tunnel. Then there's MF with the "macaroni style" curved tunnels. Now there's Maverick with a straight away tunnel with a slight curve at the end.

A think that the expectations of CP are extremely lofty compared to any other park that I can think of. You put Maverick in any other park, and no one will complain at all, but since it's CP you'd think that they installed a regular boomerang or something like that. I'm so sick of people calling TTD a "one trick pony". My response to that is "no s@*!". And the MF complainers OMG, I just don't know what to say. The only significant complaint that I have about Maverick is the capacity. Looks like it's gonna be a thrilling, lengthy ride.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 9/7/06 6:05:14 PM

I asked for a Ripples reply!

Close enough :)

Chuck

> CP really knows how to conceal the "light at the end
> of the tunnel" on all of it's tunnel coasters. First
> there's Maggie with the last wavy tunnel. Then there's MF
> with the "macaroni style" curved tunnels. Now
> there's Maverick with a straight away tunnel with a slight
> curve at the end.

> A think that the expectations of CP are extremely lofty
> compared to any other park that I can think of. You put
> Maverick in any other park, and no one will complain at
> all, but since it's CP you'd think that they installed a
> regular boomerang or something like that. I'm so sick of
> people calling TTD a "one trick pony". My
> response to that is "no s@*!". And the MF
> complainers OMG, I just don't know what to say. The only
> significant complaint that I have about Maverick is the
> capacity. Looks like it's gonna be a thrilling, lengthy
> ride.

> * This Post Has Been Modified *

A group of park lovers

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Shaft_STL Shaft_STL Profile at 9/7/06 6:11:50 PM

> And the MF
> complainers OMG, I just don't know what to say.

Not enough airtime for a 310 foot coaster :-)

Sorry, I couldn't pass up a free shot, haha.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 9/7/06 6:14:11 PM

I find the ride to be rather interesting to say the least. To me it looks like a ride that would be better suited for Geauga Lake than Cedar Point but I'm not the one making the decisions for the company.

I think some of you forget that of the $21 million how much of it is going into the theming? Has Cedar Fair finally turned a corner and actually adding some theming to their rides? Dragster's was pretty cool yet short lived.

I think this ride will be a bit more reliable compared to Dragster in its early days. LSM's are not exactly new technology like the hydraulic launch.

G-Dog

Re: Maverick Officially announced by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 9/7/06 6:18:45 PM

> And the MF

> Not enough airtime for a 310 foot coaster :-)

> Sorry, I couldn't pass up a free shot, haha.

6000 ft of speed and not much else?

Gotta take mine.

A group of park lovers

Re: Maverick Officially announced by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 9/7/06 6:28:15 PM

Theres subtle theming all over CP.
Disaster Transport
The flume was themed with tunnles and indian artifacts and even canoes.

I think they are just not getting tied into one theme and also not creating themeing that don't work.

Chuck
> I find the ride to be rather interesting to say the least.
> To me it looks like a ride that would be better suited for
> Geauga Lake than Cedar Point but I'm not the one making the
> decisions for the company.

> I think some of you forget that of the $21 million how much
> of it is going into the theming? Has Cedar Fair finally
> turned a corner and actually adding some theming to their
> rides? Dragster's was pretty cool yet short lived.

> I think this ride will be a bit more reliable compared to
> Dragster in its early days. LSM's are not exactly new
> technology like the hydraulic launch.

> G-Dog

A group of park lovers

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/7/06 6:28:32 PM

Here we go again; Airtime is the only thing that makes a ride great. Forget about the first drop, positive-G's, tunnels, headchoppers, lateral-G's, speed, and everything else about a coaster. It's all about airtime.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 9/7/06 6:40:02 PM

> Here we go again; Airtime is the only thing that makes a
> ride great. Forget about the first drop, positive-G's,
> tunnels, headchoppers, lateral-G's, speed, and everything
> else about a coaster. It's all about airtime.

Yeah, It sucks :)

Man, some don't get Sarcasm even if I don't particularly find MF to be A great ride. Good, Not great.

Chuck

A group of park lovers

Re: Maverick Officially announced by bankteller bankteller Profile at 9/7/06 7:04:56 PM

> A think that the expectations of CP are extremely lofty
> compared to any other park that I can think of. You put
> Maverick in any other park, and no one will complain at
> all, but since it's CP you'd think that they installed a
> regular boomerang or something like that.

Maverick the CP equivalent to a boomerang. If that is really what their thinking then they're on crack.

From what I can read it appears that a good share are happy with the announcement. The whiners seem to be those who live in a fantasy world where every ride CP builds has to go taller and faster or blow away something else.

> I'm so sick of
> people calling TTD a "one trick pony". My
> response to that is "no s@*!". And the MF

TTD is a "one trick pony". MF, the undecided coaster. Great first drop, but then it can't decide what it wants to be from that point on. It's all about Gemini, Magnum, Raptor and hopefully Maverick!!!

My only complaint. I'm a hydro flume fan and I'm going to miss White Water Landing. These sort of rides are becoming rare.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by chillforce chillforce Profile at 9/7/06 7:51:54 PM

Eric, please don't ask him about his wood. I really don't want to know that answer.

Ed

Re: Maverick Officially announced by coastermom coastermom Profile at 9/7/06 8:00:46 PM

Hey Eric!!

I have a man or two at every park baby!
But X doesn't mind, that's the beauty of men of wood & steel. They don't mind haring! LOL!

I'll always love X!

> Coastermom wrote:
> I am really excited about this ride. I know it's not
> breaking any records but I can say that it looks like
> absolute FUN and I'm saving my $ for next year so Josh and
> I can go ride it!

> Does this mean you're getting a divorice from X or just
> cheating on it?

Re: Maverick Officially announced by chillforce chillforce Profile at 9/7/06 8:05:13 PM

They don't mind haring! LOL!

Jodi, was that your way of saying something without saying it? Haring, does that have something to do with rabbits? LOL

Ed

Re: Maverick Officially announced by chillforce chillforce Profile at 9/7/06 8:09:12 PM

>> People have complained about the lack of theming for years
> at Cedar Point, and now they step up and build something
> involving a fair amount. Guess what, it costs money. 21
> million doesn't account for the ride itself.

> Dollywood just announced Mystery Mine for 17.5 million and
> I didn't see one person complaining about that figure. I
> bet that 1,800 foot Gerstlauer won't be half as good
> as Maverick. People haven't even commented on the length of
> this ride. Nearly 5,000 feet is a good deal of track.

Mike, I have heard a bit about this 21 Mil cost today. 21 Mil will be around the standard price tag for coasters. Steel has gone bonkers in cost over the last few years and it is not going to get cheaper. Energy prices don't need any explanation and that will never drop to pre 05 levels. At one time a good B&M went for 12 to 15 mil, look for that price to be closer to the Intamin price tag in the future.

Ed

Re: Maverick Officially announced by coastermom coastermom Profile at 9/7/06 8:11:42 PM

sharing!! (blush)
> They don't mind haring! LOL!

> Jodi, was that your way of saying something without saying
> it? Haring, does that have something to do with rabbits?
> LOL

> Ed

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 9/7/06 8:13:43 PM

I'm glad CP is putting in a regular size coaster. Somtimes it's refreshing to go on a new coaster that doesn't break a record. And maybe since it's nothing huge, it might be reliable. Unlike TTD. Even if it isn't a record breker, it's still completely different from what CP has done in the past. I can't wait to ride this coaster, even though it might take forever to get on.

-RCF220

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Ethan Ethan Profile at 9/7/06 8:44:29 PM

> TTD is a "one trick pony".

What he meant is that it's obviously a "one trick pony", and nobody needs to hear it over and over again. I think whiners (how can you whine about something you haven't ridden), and fan-boys (most of them are whiners) should let a thought go every once in a while. Maverick looks great. TTD is still one of the best rides I've ever been on, and what's wrong with MF. Overbanked is right to say that their is more to a coaster than air-time. Though I haven't ridden many coasters, MF is my favorite. I don't see what everyone's beef is. When it comes to CP, most people are extreme. They either hate the place because it's successful and gets a lot of hype, or they are fanboys, and don't care about anything but records. Besides, Maverick does beat a record. At least for now (and because of the problems I keep hearing about on here maybe a while), CP will have the most coasters no question or tie. 17 running coasters!

-Ethan-

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 9/7/06 8:53:23 PM

> Spoilt spoilt spoilt. You're all spoilt!
> It looks like a great fun, long coaster-with a launch in
> the dark and some great scenic-interaction. Coasters don't
> have to be high and record-breaking to be fun. Look at
> nemesis at Alton Towers.
> Now, whilst you are`all moaning that CP DARES to instal a
> SEVENTEENTH coaster that doesn't break any records, spare a
> thought for us over here in Blighty who have got the loss
> of two classic woodies to mourn (Cyclone and King Solomon's
> Mines at Pleasureland)and the relocation of a Vekoma Hang N
> Bang (Traumatizer at Pleasureland to Blackpool Pleasure
> Beach)as the main attraction next year. Whoop de doop.

Fraser, I have to agree that Blackpool is getting shafted next year, and I'm quite excited about Maverick. Maybe it's because I'm not fickled, and am happy with pretty much any installation.

The Clientele

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Shaft_STL Shaft_STL Profile at 9/7/06 9:36:20 PM

> Mike, I have heard a bit about this 21 Mil cost today. 21
> Mil will be around the standard price tag for coasters.
> Steel has gone bonkers in cost over the last few years and
> it is not going to get cheaper. Energy prices don't need
> any explanation and that will never drop to pre 05 levels.
> At one time a good B&M went for 12 to 15 mil, look for that
> price to be closer to the Intamin price tag in the future.

Ed -

No question. You're dead on with these comments. I remember when Hershey was going to install the Frequent Faller coaster or whatever it was called, and the company backed out because steel prices had increased so much and they couldn't deliver for the advertised price.

We've got to face it: you won't get a major steel installation for less than 15 million anymore. And that's bare bones. If you're going for a world-class (steel) attraction, 20 million is starting to become the price floor.

Utilizing futures markets sure seems like a good idea considering the volitility of so many things today.

It sure makes wood more attractive :-)

Re: Maverick Officially announced by cjeagle35 at 9/8/06 2:06:26 AM

Some of these posts are just ridiculous. I don't understand why this website is so anti-Cedar Point. So, call me a fanboy, I don't care, but I'll defend the park I love on these issues.

Capacity- yes 1,200 an hour is not a lot for CP standards, I too wonder why the trains aren't at least one car longer. But come on, this is Cedar Point, what park cares more about capacity? You guys don't think Cedar Point thought at all about it. You think they thought, yeah, we don't care if our guest wait in line for 4hrs. I'm sure they have some kind of plan that makes sure capacity isn't an issue. Also with TTD, MF, Raptor, and now Maverick, I see the park being much more spread out.

Not a Record Breaker- While it did suprise me that Maverick didn't break any records, How is that going to take a way from the ride? Lets look at the #1 steel and wood coasters, Superman and Thuderhead. Did they break any records? No, but they are still great rides. We are expecting way too much out of CP, but I think they designed a solid coaster with many different exciting elements. No one has ridden this coaster yet, so way can't say its a disappointment.

Small Heighth- I believe Maverick was designed for the whole family, that is all above 48 inches. Many people are intimitaded by MF and TTD with their height and speed. I think more people will ride Maverick because it isn't so tall, and I think most people will enjoy this coaster. No it isn't a true family coaster, but no will be turned off huge heighth.

Layout- Maverick will definatly have a fun, interesting, and action packed layout. The ride will be simply FUN, with tight turns, speed, themeing, and inversions. Its not about being the tallest and fastest, its about being FUN. I challenge anyone to find a more action packed 4,000ft of track than Maverick.

Shaggy- Your post was just ridiculous. Your anti-CP bias was just aparent. Of coures Cedar Point is going to lay off Paramount people, THATS BUSINESS. If Paramount had ran their parks better, they wouldn't have been bought by Cedar Fair and they'd still have their jobs. Cedar Fair isn't a charity, its a business, they want to make their parks run more effiently.

Yes, Cedar Point gets new rides often, but why is that? They make the money to do that. It isn't a Six Flags situation, CF is extremely smart in planning their investments.(Except for possibly TTD, which Kinzel once mentioned, if he could do it again, it wouldn't be build.) Did you see what Millennim Force did for the park? Cedar Point is a resort park more than a season pass holder park, so it needs new attraction to get people to come back to park. I haven't heard anything about CP going bankrupt with all the rides they have built lately. CF is debt, now it will make much more now that it operates more parks. They've only been in this financial situation for a few months, give them time.

Finally, of course CP is a family park, they now have 69 rides and 17 coasters. How in the world can you not find something for everyone in the family? There are lots of coasters at the park for younger children and all types of family rides. Its no PKI, but there still is plenty to do.

Reliability- I am totally sure CP doesn't want the problems that occured on TTD, so I believe this ride is definatly going to be relible. All the other Intamins run great, and TTD had its best year. This will not be a problem because the coaster isn't a prototype, and there will problem be plenty of time to test the ride, plus I doubt CP will spend another $21mil for a ride that doesn't work.

Millennium Force- I'm shocked at the number of post bad mouthing MF. Did we ride same ride? Have you even ridden it? It is amazing, its made the park millions and loved by countless coaster enthusiast as well as the general public. #2 in the world

I firmly believe Maverick will be a great coaster in a great park.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by MillenniumForce at 9/8/06 7:35:51 AM

> http://maverick.cedarpoint.com/ Opening: May of 2007

> Track Length: 4,450 feet
> Lift Height: 105 feet
> Angle of Lift Hill: 20 degrees
> Vertical Drop: 100 feet
> Angle of Descent: 95 degrees

> Time: Approx. 2 minutes, 30 seconds
> Speed of First Drop: Approx. 57 mph
> Speed of Second Launch: Approx. 70 mph
> Capacity: Approx. 1,200 riders per hour

> Coaches:
> Six 12-passenger trains
> Three cars, with four seats per car, per train
> Tiered seating on the coaster's cars for better viewing
> (similar to stadium seating)
> Design: Fiberglass and steel coaches with over-the-shoulder
> restraints and interlocking seat belts

> Cost: $21 million

>

I have absolutely no problem with Cedarpoint's decision to build Maverick. I'm anxious for the 2007 season to arrive. I've ridden MF and TTD, though I love both, Maverick offers a 95degree angle drop, which will be interesting to experience.
I'm also looking forward to Busch Garden Europe's new drop coaster. At 205 ft., another interesting element.
Now.....time for Six Flags to get into the mix, and build something innovative, preferably at SFA.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Katie Katie Profile at 9/8/06 10:19:36 AM

> Some of these posts are just ridiculous. I don't understand
> why this website is so anti-Cedar Point. So, call me a
> fanboy, I don't care, but I'll defend the park I love on
> these issues.

Because Cedar Point isn't the best park on the planet. Start travelling to smaller better run parks and you may just think otherwise.

> Capacity- yes 1,200 an hour is not a lot for CP standards,
> I too wonder why the trains aren't at least one car longer.
> But come on, this is Cedar Point, what park cares more
> about capacity? You guys don't think Cedar Point thought at
> all about it. You think they thought, yeah, we don't care
> if our guest wait in line for 4hrs. I'm sure they have some
> kind of plan that makes sure capacity isn't an issue. Also
> with TTD, MF, Raptor, and now Maverick, I see the park
> being much more spread out.

Because Cedar Point often has lines over 2 hours long for most if not all major attraction. On their busiest days it goes up to 3 hours. Which is absolutely ridiculous. I can go to a much better run park and get on a ride a major attraction in less then 30 minutes. With the parks REALLY crowded. Try again, your arguement has no merit.

Cedar Point has made MAJOR mistakes when it comes to record breakers. Top Thrill Disaster comes to mind. It took 2 years to have it fully operational and to capacity. That's two years too long.

> Shaggy- Your post was just ridiculous. Your anti-CP bias
> was just aparent. Of coures Cedar Point is going to lay off
> Paramount people, THATS BUSINESS. If Paramount had ran
> their parks better, they wouldn't have been bought by Cedar
> Fair and they'd still have their jobs. Cedar Fair isn't a
> charity, its a business, they want to make their parks run
> more effiently.

Shaggy has every right to say his opinion on here. Cedar Fair is laying off wonderful people in management when they should be used to full capacity. Paramount ran their parks fine. They got rid of the parks because they didn't want to deal with them anymore.

Obviously you haven't been to one. Most of the Paramount parks in the chain has received newer attractions almost every year the last 2-3 years give or take. So try again. If Cedar Fair would run all their parks the same way, some of their parks like Michigan's Adventure or other of their smaller parks would have gotten a little more TLC.

MIA hasn't gotten a coaster since what 1999? How about GL? NO coasters since they took the park over. Yeah thats really keeping attendance up and people yearning for more. Cedar Fair does this. They run Cedar Point to the CF way and everyone else. I have experienced it, and I in fact dislike how I was treated as well as others.

> Yes, Cedar Point gets new rides often, but why is that?
> They make the money to do that. It isn't a Six Flags
> situation, CF is extremely smart in planning their
> investments.(Except for possibly TTD, which Kinzel once
> mentioned, if he could do it again, it wouldn't be build.)
> Did you see what Millennim Force did for the park? Cedar
> Point is a resort park more than a season pass holder park,
> so it needs new attraction to get people to come back to
> park. I haven't heard anything about CP going bankrupt with
> all the rides they have built lately. CF is debt, now it
> will make much more now that it operates more parks.
> They've only been in this financial situation for a few
> months, give them time.

So any other park in the chain gets season passes why? Cedar Fair gives the money to CP for their coasters, and they just paid 1.25 Billion dollars for a park that they just put themselves into debt. Yeah real smart. They should have taken care of their sister parks first before they start acquiring other parks.

> Finally, of course CP is a family park, they now have 69
> rides and 17 coasters. How in the world can you not find
> something for everyone in the family? There are lots of
> coasters at the park for younger children and all types of
> family rides. Its no PKI, but there still is plenty to do.

Oh really now? I have a little boy how is almost 48 inches, not quite and I wouldn't take him to CP ever. Hell I wouldn't even take him to Geauga Lake. I take him to better parks where he can get on most if not all the rides. And I am not talking about kiddie parks. I am talking Idewild, Conneaut, Kennywood, Holiday World and so on. Just because they have 69 rides doesn't mean jack. They need to add more flats and have them open more.

> Millennium Force- I'm shocked at the number of post bad
> mouthing MF. Did we ride same ride? Have you even ridden
> it? It is amazing, its made the park millions and loved by
> countless coaster enthusiast as well as the general public.
> #2 in the world

Yeah MF is completely overrated. That is my opinion take it or leave it. I don't have to like the number 2 steel in the world. I'll take its sister across the park Maggie over Millennium any day. The Golden Tickets are voted for by enthusiasts, thats why it ranks so high. If you read Mitch Hawker's poll, its a lot more accurate. I don't have the direct figures with me, but I will be glad to find them. Some of the rides ranked for the GTA's are absolutely ridiculous. But, like I said thats my opinion and I am allowed to have one and not get bashed for disliking your favorite park.

> I firmly believe Maverick will be a great coaster in a
> great park.

Hey if its great, then by all means you can ride it. But, I won't be standing in a 4 hour line for it. And if you really think that it won't be that long, just remember opening year of TTD. Refresh your memory. Or how about SkyHawk? It was up and running 1 day before it broke down for 3. Yeah! Way to go CP!!

//end rant.

CNA RULES!!!

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Patripman Patripman Profile at 9/8/06 12:51:11 PM

> Eric, please don't ask him about his wood. I really don't
> want to know that answer.

> Ed
>

No Eric Flying Turns comes in after Voyage, though I never ranked a coaster 1-2 etc in all the years I have been riding. But with a possible (BIG) wood installation in Pa. soon all others will be a distant past and I am not talking about that park near Erie, so there!

Patripman

Re: Maverick Officially announced by bankteller bankteller Profile at 9/8/06 12:51:41 PM

> Because Cedar Point often has lines over 2 hours long for
> most if not all major attraction. On their busiest days it
> goes up to 3 hours. Which is absolutely ridiculous. I can
> go to a much better run park and get on a ride a major
> attraction in less then 30 minutes.

I am going to defend Cedar Point because I think what you said is a complete exageration. True for one or two attractions, maybe a rare day or two, but rarely true for all major attractions even on the busiest days. I read a lot of TRs and you don't see what you're saying reported very often even on the TRs that come back from the peak summer days.

CP is one of the best parks out there for operations. 1,200 pph at Six Flags would mean 800 pph. At Cedar Point it will mean very close to 1,200 pph.

> Shaggy has every right to say his opinion on here. Cedar
> Fair is laying off wonderful people in management when they
> should be used to full capacity.

Who didn't expect this? Unfortunate, but predicted. Duplicate roles and differences in how they operate.

> Most of the Paramount
> parks in the chain has received newer attractions almost
> every year the last 2-3 years give or take. So try again.
> If Cedar Fair would run all their parks the same way, some
> of their parks like Michigan's Adventure or other of their
> smaller parks would have gotten a little more TLC.

> MIA hasn't gotten a coaster since what 1999? How about GL?
> NO coasters since they took the park over.

There is a big difference between the five Paramount Parks and Michigan's Adventure. Also, Geauga Lake has received major capital improvements since CF took over and wasn't that three coaster deal from Six Flags supposed to pay off for many years to come? That was about ten years worth of coaster installs.

The water park at Geauga Lake looks great and to say that CF hasn't spent money on the park is unfair. I have doubts that they would've gotten better results with a roller coaster than with the improvements they made. GL is a difficult property.

Michigan's Adventure doesn't need a roller coaster or major attraction every 2-3 years. The comparable parks in the CF chain to those of the Paramount chain are Knott's, Cedar Point and Dorney Park. To a slightly lesser extent WoF.

> They run Cedar Point to the CF way
> and everyone else. I have experienced it, and I in fact
> dislike how I was treated as well as others.

In defense of CF the differences in service stems from the quality of employees. CP has on-site housing, so the park attracts a lot of capable, trainable college students, along with the foreign workers that are a mixed bunch.

The rest of the CF parks are facing the same problems the entire industry is facing. The workforce at that level is difficult to work with. There is a high turnover rate and a good share have a I don't care attitude. Now CF or SF or whomever could raise wages, but at the same time they will have to increase prices to overcome this increase. The problem really stems from "minimum wage". This would take us so far off-topic. If you want to go there lets start a new topic.

> So any other park in the chain gets season passes why?
> Cedar Fair gives the money to CP for their coasters, and
> they just paid 1.25 Billion dollars for a park that they
> just put themselves into debt. Yeah real smart.

There is nothing wrong with debt when you're in business. Many business experts would actually argue that if you're not carrying some debt then you're not growing your business in the manner in which you could.

With CF's total annual revenue this debt load is not alarming especially with the upside potential these new parks bring to the company. The stock price for CF is only slightly down. The stock price is a good indicator of the company's health.

The acquistion of the Paramount Parks was a good move. Premier Parks acquistion of Six Flags was also good move. There is a difference. Premier made some very bad decisions after they acquired SF. Rebranding some of the parks like Elitch Gardens and Kentucky Kingdom were mistakes. The purchase of SeaWorld and the massive capital improvements with multi-coaster installs were errors.

The Paramount Parks are good properties and many are in markets where CF had no presence. This is a good business move and CF shouldn't have a problem paying off these parks.

CBS, Inc. wasn't overly aggressive in the sale of the parks. They wanted to get rid of the theme park business fast.

> They need to add more flats and have them open more.

> Hey if its great, then by all means you can ride it. But, I
> won't be standing in a 4 hour line for it. And if you
> really think that it won't be that long, just remember
> opening year of TTD. Refresh your memory. Or how about
> SkyHawk? It was up and running 1 day before it broke down
> for 3. Yeah! Way to go CP!!

Claiming the line will be four hours before it even gets a chance to operate is like saying it is your number one coaster without even riding it.

Why are you so bitter with CP and CF? I have to ask. As a veteran enthusiast you should have a better understanding of why rides breakdown and thus have more patience. The general public doesn't know that TTD is a prototype or that new rides with this kind of technology sometimes require some time to work out the possible problems referring to your comment about SkyHawk. I just found out that your the editor of a major site (I won't mention it) while chatting. I'm sorry, it's not favorite site, but since you're so immersed in this world then you should have a better understanding and more patience.

I'm sorry you're coming across as very bitter, maybe even jealous. Or is it that you're embarassed because of what you predicted CP was getting. Had it been a 12-inversion coaster then maybe you'd be on the other side of the fence praising the park. Are you resorting to this bashing war to overcome your embarassment?

It's a brutal lashing you've been giving that is more typical found in a SF thread than a CP or CF thread. If you're disappointed or expected more that is fine, but it doesn't warrant this type of trash talk some of which is unfounded (like the line length claims). It's this type of ranting that just gives enthusiasts a bad name. I'm sorry to pick on you. I've been holding my tongue, but I think you took it too far in responding to the CP cheerleader and I don't think some of your arguments make sense.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 9/8/06 1:42:54 PM

While I kinda agree with you on operations of the parks.

Katie wasn't treated well there and on a couple of visits Neither was I.

I've had ops yell at me or people with me, Been called a Mother Fer for being the first at the ticket booth and giving her a hundred at CP by employees and the managment said Sorry, we'll take care of it. No comp pass or nothing.

The park doesn't run hardly anything in a rain PKI always has, I wonder if this will change for the worse?

It's also the park with the most rollercoasters slightly overweight people can't ride. WT, MF, TTD, CCMR, RAPTOR and Mantis.

No, Im not a CF hater but they are far from THE BEST PARK IMHO.

Chuck

A group of park lovers

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Cameron at 9/8/06 1:53:15 PM

> While I kinda agree with you on operations of the parks.

> Katie wasn't treated well there and on a couple of visits
> Neither was I.

Well, maybe it's time to let go of your *anger issues* you have with the park. After all, it's just an amusement park. But for a park you sure don't care for much, I ALWAYS see you commenting about it.

How odd, the people that complain the most about CP and other parks are always the ones that are first to ride their rides, so they can be the first to complain about them on messageboards. *rollin eyes*

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/8/06 2:00:35 PM

Is it safe to say that all of the MF bashers care about is airtime? That second hill on MF does has some airtime. IMO, the people that are saying MF is overrated are kidding themselves. This coaster probably has one of the best layouts out there. It has a perfect mix of high and low track. It also has two overbanked curves, two tunnels, IMO the best first drop, blazing speed, and it's probably one of the best looking coasters.

A lot of people probably won't admit it, but MF, TTD, Magnum, and Raptor are the main coasters at CP that most people flock to nowadays, just to experience them. IMO, the people that are disappointed with any of them are in the minority.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 9/8/06 2:20:15 PM

> Neither was I.

> Well, maybe it's time to let go of your *anger issues* you
> have with the park. After all, it's just an amusement park.
> But for a park you sure don't care for much, I ALWAYS see
> you commenting about it.

> How odd, the people that complain the most about CP and
> other parks are always the ones that are first to ride
> their rides, so they can be the first to complain about
> them on messageboards. *rollin eyes*

Find me how many CP complaint post I've had on here?
Basically all I've ever said to some is to get out and visit more parks to compare. If your talking coasters or records then by all means CP is the ultimate (Except in wood)

As for letting go of my anger? I've visited since. Some reasons I don't visit. Or very much have nothing to do with CP other than I've found places I enjoy more, without the big waits.

Still, Im a person who'll forgive once which I have and returned but im not a person that will continue to visit somewhere that treats you bad (Not saying they still are) But if it happened again. Never again.

Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, Shame on me.

Nothng wrong with CP if it's your thing. It blew me away when I was younger as it would most people that have never been there.

Chuck

A group of park lovers

Re: Maverick Officially announced by sparky sparky Profile at 9/8/06 2:24:45 PM

> No Eric Flying Turns comes in after Voyage, though I never
> ranked a coaster 1-2 etc in all the years I have been
> riding. But with a possible (BIG) wood installation in Pa.
> soon all others will be a distant past and I am not talking
> about that park near Erie, so there!

So the Conneaut mega woodie is on or off? What about the new triple track looping flume for the New Williams Grove Adventurepark?

For real, its looking more and more like '08 is gonna be prrrty sweet out in western PA.

-Mark

Re: Maverick Officially announced by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 9/8/06 2:24:45 PM

> Is it safe to say that all of the MF bashers care about is
> airtime? That second hill on MF does has some airtime. IMO,
> the people that are saying MF is overrated are kidding
> themselves. This coaster probably has one of the best
> layouts out there. It has a perfect mix of high and low
> track. It also has two overbanked curves, two tunnels, IMO
> the best first drop, blazing speed, and it's probably one
> of the best looking coasters.

Best layout? three hills and three overbanks? the rest I can drive 90 and get the same sensation. For it's size and speed they probably did pretty good with it but by god there are much smaller coasters that provide a TON MORE other than the hight.

> A lot of people probably won't admit it, but MF, TTD,
> Magnum, and Raptor are the main coasters at CP that most
> people flock to nowadays, just to experience them. IMO, the
> people that are disappointed with any of them are in the
> minority.

Raptor, Magnum, Gemini and blue streak.
Some aren't the draw but all are more fun than MF to me.

A group of park lovers

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/8/06 2:39:49 PM

Answer the first question Chuck; All you care about is airtime, right or wrong?

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Patripman Patripman Profile at 9/8/06 2:45:23 PM

> No Eric Flying Turns comes in after Voyage, though I never
> ranked a coaster 1-2 etc in all the years I have been
> riding. But with a possible (BIG) wood installation in Pa.
> soon all others will be a distant past and I am not talking
> about that park near Erie, so there!

> So the Conneaut mega woodie is on or off? What about the
> new triple track looping flume for the New Williams Grove
> Adventurepark?

> For real, its looking more and more like '08 is gonna be
> prrrty sweet out in western PA.

> -Mark

>

Oh right Mark Conneaut is really going to build a ______________
fill in the blank. I like the idea about that triple looping flume, one question though why did they tear down the one they had many years ago?

Patripman

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Cameron at 9/8/06 3:02:42 PM

> Find me how many CP complaint post I've had on here?
> Basically all I've ever said to some is to get out and
> visit more parks to compare. If your talking coasters or
> records then by all means CP is the ultimate (Except in
> wood)

I never said anything about complaining, I said *commenting*.

What you need to realize is that not all people prefer the more smaller parks. I have visited many parks, but I prefer more bigger parks such as, Islands of Adventure and some Six Flags parks and unlike you, I don't put *certain park(s)* on a deity like level like you do!

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Ethan Ethan Profile at 9/8/06 3:06:47 PM

> Raptor, Magnum, Gemini and blue streak.
> Some aren't the draw but all are more fun than MF to me.

To me is the key word there(don't be offended). Some people here are too easily offended.

Well, There seems to be a lot of CP bashing (and not surprisingly MF bashing) going around here. Why? Because everyone else loves them. Becuase the GP and lots of people here love MF. Maybe it's not the best in the world, but you don't have to bash it so much. If it's not your thing, whatever, but don't have a cow man. BTW, I don't see why everyone hates TTD just cause it's a "one-trick pony". I don't care what anyone says, it's one of my favs and it's worth the wait.

Thank you Bankteller. Although I would love to defend CP, I know that you did it much better than I could. All I got to say is that I went to CP not to long ago, and I waited in plenty of long lines. I got three coasters in by lunch time! But I still consider the place the greatest on earth (even if I don't have as much experience as some of you guys). Why? Why you ask? Because it's always worth the wait. Maybe not to you, but very much to me.

Well to get off the subject of CP bashing and/or defending. Maverick. M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K. Looks like it could be one of the best at CP, but I don't know. I haven't ridden it yet. The layout looks awesome. The hill (although short) looks awesome because of the 95 degree angle. The second launch seems ingenious to me.

Steels are getting more expensive, and I think this should be the last CP steelie for a little while. All I'm asking for is one good woodie at CP. Blue Streak is a classic, and it's wonderful. But Mean Streak is too rough for me. That's why CP needs something like Voyage (from what I hear). And Overbanked, I'm not bagging on CP 'cause they suck in the woodie department. I know CP's forte is tall steelies, but the place can always get better. And I love to see my favorite park be even better when I return.

-Ethan-

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/8/06 3:37:33 PM

Well said Ethan. You brought out some good points about people always bashing MF. It seems like people are going outta the way just to bash MF. I like it when people express their opinions, but why bash MF on a Maverick thread? I try not to talk about the coasters that I don't like. For instance, I think Great American Scream Machine(SFOG), Big Thunder Mountain(WDW), Gemini, and Rock-N-Rollercoaster(WDW) didn't do much for me. I wouldn't go all outta the way to bash those coasters. I'm quite sure there are people that like those rides.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by junebugg junebugg Profile at 9/8/06 4:13:46 PM

> themselves.

I wouldn't call myself an MF basher as I absolutely love the first drop. But they layout IMO is just boring after the first drop. Yes its fast and yes it was a few elements with a couple overbanked turns and hills but there is just too much staight and flat track. I will then go on to say it is overrated but I will definitely ride it again when I go back to visit.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by sparky sparky Profile at 9/8/06 4:57:58 PM

> Oh right Mark Conneaut is really going to build a
> ______________
> fill in the blank. I like the idea about that triple
> looping flume, one question though why did they tear down
> the one they had many years ago?

Probably something to do with Ed breaking it. You did say *many* years ago, right?

In all seriousness, I was fully charmed by Conneaut back in July when I visited for the first time. Their tumble bug felt like it had much more "oomph" to it than KW's (I got to ride them on back to back days). The place could really use a log flume, or a water ride of some type.

-Mark

Be a Pig

Re: Maverick Officially announced by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 9/8/06 6:10:07 PM

> Find me how many CP complaint post I've had on here?
> Basically all I've ever said to some is to get out and
> visit more parks to compare. If your talking coasters or
> records then by all means CP is the ultimate (Except in
> wood)

> I never said anything about complaining, I said
> *commenting*.

> What you need to realize is that not all people prefer the
> more smaller parks. I have visited many parks, but I prefer
> more bigger parks such as, Islands of Adventure and some
> Six Flags parks and unlike you, I don't put *certain
> park(s)* on a deity like level like you do!

Deity level?
Might read my TRs sometimes. I mention the bad with the good at any park I visit. HW had some seriouly messed up service at the Alamo for lunch.

Chuck, who goes to a park to enjoy it. CP or any park.

A group of park lovers

Re: Maverick Officially announced by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 9/8/06 6:11:26 PM

> Answer the first question Chuck; All you care about is
> airtime, right or wrong?

Airtime is overrated.

Chuck, who thinks a ride with a lot of eliments INCLUDING airtime is better than a huge ride with few elements.

A group of park lovers

Re: Maverick Officially announced by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 9/8/06 6:15:32 PM

> Well said Ethan. You brought out some good points about
> people always bashing MF. It seems like people are going
> outta the way just to bash MF. I like it when people
> express their opinions, but why bash MF on a Maverick
> thread? I try not to talk about the coasters that I don't
> like. For instance, I think Great American Scream
> Machine(SFOG), Big Thunder Mountain(WDW), Gemini, and
> Rock-N-Rollercoaster(WDW) didn't do much for me. I wouldn't
> go all outta the way to bash those coasters. I'm quite sure
> there are people that like those rides.

Saying I don't think is one of the best is not bashing MF. I think you'll even probably find MAVERICK a better overal ride with more elements.

If you want a speed rush and some air, Ride MF. If you want a headrush, Ride TTD, If you want a overall great ride from start to finish, Ride Maverick, Maggie, Raptor, Blue Streak.

Thats not sensitive. Thats saying you don't have to be a record breaker to be good.

Chuck

A group of park lovers

Exactly ! by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 9/8/06 6:16:57 PM

> themselves.

> I wouldn't call myself an MF basher as I absolutely love
> the first drop. But they layout IMO is just boring after
> the first drop. Yes its fast and yes it was a few elements
> with a couple overbanked turns and hills but there is just
> too much staight and flat track. I will then go on to say
> it is overrated but I will definitely ride it again when I
> go back to visit.

Well said and thats not bashing, those are facts.

A group of park lovers

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Katie Katie Profile at 9/8/06 6:32:52 PM

Ok I should clarify where I am coming from.

I have experienced Cedar Point and Geauga Lake. I am in that area. I however didn't have a good time at either park. Both parks weren't super busy, but long lines at CP and the way I was treated has given me this opinion.

If a park doesn't treat me well or blows me off for that matter, I end up with this opinion, just like anyone else would. I have seemed to be treated better and had a better experience at smaller more family owned (or cared about) parks.

I honestly don't see myself going back to the point for awhile. After my experience I just don't really care to go back. I however almost did go back to Geauga Lake this year, and to my judgement decided not to at the last minute.

Everyone has their own opinion about every park. I am just really adamant about mine and CP. I have said this before and will say it again, I hope Maverick fits well with the park and hopefully is reliable.

If anyone cares to chat with me more about this, by all means please feel free to email me about it. I am no longer going fight about it here.

Katie

CNA RULES!!!

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Ethan Ethan Profile at 9/8/06 6:44:52 PM

You don't need to fight. Your new post seemed less hostile towards CP, and I think less people will react because of it. I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I personally have never had a bad day at CP, and don't know where your coming from, but your opinion is respected. People (including myself) will get very annoyed when there is what seems like bashing at a park that has served many of us very well. I hope you can go to the point again someday and have a better time!

-Ethan-

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/8/06 7:19:41 PM

> Chuck, who thinks a ride with a lot of eliments INCLUDING
> airtime is better than a huge ride with few elements.

What ride would that be? Name some of the cool elements. I'm just trying to do a little comparing. Who knows maybe you might sell me concerning that ride. I take it that it's a hypercoaster.

It seems like everyone loves Superman(SFNE). What are some of the great features about that ride?

Chuck, you said MF is like driving down I-90, I'm thinking more like driving pretty fast on a NASCAR Super-speedway with banked turns.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by JT123 at 9/8/06 7:38:40 PM

> It seems like everyone loves Superman(SFNE). What are some
> of the great features about that ride?

Take a pov of it on youtube.com and you will see why it is so highly regarded. I have never been to SFNE and I thought it would be overrated but the pov seems to show an intense ride and many respected enthusiasts love it.
All in all I need to get to the Point next year and a few other midwest parks.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 9/8/06 7:44:28 PM

> Chuck, who thinks a ride with a lot of eliments INCLUDING
> airtime is better than a huge ride with few elements.

> What ride would that be? Name some of the cool elements.
> I'm just trying to do a little comparing. Who knows maybe
> you might sell me concerning that ride. I take it that it's
> a hypercoaster.

> It seems like everyone loves Superman(SFNE). What are some
> of the great features about that ride?

> Chuck, you said MF is like driving down I-90, I'm thinking
> more like driving pretty fast on a NASCAR Super-speedway
> with banked turns.

S:ROS at SFNE features a first drop thats not quite as good but a mist filled real tunnel is at the bottom, Followed by a second hill that features airtime from before the top to bottom. A banked turn around followed by a ground hugging speed segement and then two mid sized hills that offer the most intense air I've felt. After these two hills ia s figure eight segment with another tunnel in the middle of it. Three bunnys and a quick turn into the brakes. It sits right on the Connecticut river and has a beautiful setting as well. For that matter I feel Maggie has a lot more elements (It actually does something than MF)

Not bashing MF but my second visit to the park with it there I felt it was almost boring. The first time I was like everyone else, Cheering on the brake run.

Chuck

A group of park lovers

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/8/06 8:05:49 PM

Sounds impressive. That was a very detailed description of Superman(SFNE). Superman and MF sounds like two totally different rides. I guess MF is what it is, a speed machine. S:ROS sounds like it lives up to the hype.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 9/9/06 11:28:29 AM

Okay, time to stop comparing MF with the rest of the rides at CP. All of the rides at CP are completely in their own category. There isn't a single coaster at CP that is like any other coaster at CP. MF is about raw speed, and is the smoothest ride I've ever been on. SO WHAT if it doesn't have a lot of air-time. If it was supposed to be an air-time machine they would have built it that way. And so people compare it with magnum or other rides all about air-time. Not that I don't love CP, but I'm not a fanboy. I love coasters individually. I don't try and group them all in the same category. If I want constant speed, I'd go on MF. Quick blast of speed and height: TTD. Classic inverted: Raptor. Great ride with airtime and speed: MXL200. Great medium sized woodie: blue streak. Rough and crazy twister: MS. Awsome impulse coaster: WT. Classic mine ride: CCMR. Great racer: Gemini. Huge stand-up: Mantis. Wild mouse: WC. Dark flying turns: DT. Family suspended: ID. Classic corkscrew: (you guessed it) Corkscrew. And Maverick is gonna be great too.
I hope you understand where I'm comming from. And sorry to those who love bashing coasters.

-RCF220

P.S. sorry 'bout the long rant. I'm done.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by deeturnerjr at 9/9/06 1:10:42 PM

> Okay, time to stop comparing MF with the rest of the rides
> at CP. All of the rides at CP are completely in their own
> category. There isn't a single coaster at CP that is like
> any other coaster at CP. MF is about raw speed, and is the
> smoothest ride I've ever been on. SO WHAT if it doesn't
> have a lot of air-time. If it was supposed to be an
> air-time machine they would have built it that way. And so
> people compare it with magnum or other rides all about
> air-time. Not that I don't love CP, but I'm not a fanboy. I
> love coasters individually. I don't try and group them all
> in the same category. If I want constant speed, I'd go on
> MF. Quick blast of speed and height: TTD. Classic inverted:
> Raptor. Great ride with airtime and speed: MXL200. Great
> medium sized woodie: blue streak. Rough and crazy twister:
> MS. Awsome impulse coaster: WT. Classic mine ride: CCMR.
> Great racer: Gemini. Huge stand-up: Mantis. Wild mouse: WC.
> Dark flying turns: DT. Family suspended: ID. Classic
> corkscrew: (you guessed it) Corkscrew. And Maverick is
> gonna be great too.
> I hope you understand where I'm comming from. And sorry to
> those who love bashing coasters.

> -RCF220

> P.S. sorry 'bout the long rant. I'm done.

I couldn't agree with you more. Every coaster is a new experience IMO. Even when I ride clones it feels like a different experience for me because the two coasters are in totally different atmospheres and they still deliver a different ride experience.

Some coasters really blow me away, and some are just OK rides, but they are still coasters and that is why we are here at URC.
I dont understand how someone can call themselves a coaster enthusiast when most of what they do is complain about coasters.
Maybe some people have been spoiled to the point that they dont realize what they are doing.

I just dont know, but Im not going to try and decifer the psychological issues that some of these so called enthusiast radiate across this forum. Just ride the coasters, and for the love of god ENJOY them, please.

Over and Out,

DEE

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 9/10/06 3:42:10 PM

> Even when I ride clones it feels like a
> different experience for me because the two coasters are in
> totally different atmospheres and they still deliver a
> different ride experience.

I know what ya mean. I've ridden three Batman: TR coasters, and it's been different every time. At SFSL I had the best batman experience. My head didn't slam against the OTSRs at all. I didn't think that was possible, not that the batman rides ever slamed me around too much anyways.

-RCF220

Re: Maverick Officially announced by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 9/11/06 8:02:10 AM

Had to chime in on this one:

> Neither was I.

> I've had ops yell at me or people with me, Been called a
> Mother Fer for being the first at the ticket booth and
> giving her a hundred at CP by employees and the managment
> said Sorry, we'll take care of it. No comp pass or nothing.

> The park doesn't run hardly anything in a rain PKI always
> has, I wonder if this will change for the worse?

> It's also the park with the most rollercoasters slightly
> overweight people can't ride. WT, MF, TTD, CCMR, RAPTOR and
> Mantis.

> No, Im not a CF hater but they are far from THE BEST PARK
> IMHO.

Cedar Point was the site of my worst park-related experience I've ever had when it came to park operations, employees, and a complete lack of response at guest relations and guest service. It was so bad that it made Six Flags problems in those areas look like they were Disney. I still say that Cedar Point has some major work to do in their guest relations and how they deal with complaints (essentially, they don't).

I've also had a very good visit to the park (though not without a couple of notable problems), and did enjoy it. It IS a very good park, but in my book it's certainly not the best. Honestly, while I like it, it probably wouldn't even make it into a list of my 10 favorite parks. But again, that doesn't mean that it's not a park well worth visiting, or a good park.

I'm with Chuck and Katie in that some really need to get out and experience some of the other parks out there that don't get talked about so much (as well as some that do) and see how much better some of those parks are. But then I sort of did that spiel on the Golden Tickets thread.

All that said, I do think that Maverick will be a great ride for the park, and in many ways one that's overdue. The park has overlooked families a bit in recent years, and this is a good move back in that direction. Good for them. It looks like it's going to be a good, solid, very fun ride (which is more than I can say for many of their coasters) It should prove to be a great addition and, while it may not get the hype that some other more recent coasters have, I think it will do better for the bottom line than some of those others have also.

My take on this ride. by skc2000 at 9/11/06 1:18:04 PM

This is how i look at maverick from start to finish.

POSITIVE:
1)It,s nice to have another new coaster with inversions.Cedar point doesn,t have too many looping coasters & it,s the 1st looping coaster since mantis opened up 11 years ago.
2)95 degree 1st drop.
3)I like banked turns & this coaster is going to have 10 banked turns.
4)It,s nice to have a coaster that is not a record breaker.It does get a kind of boring when every coaster at the park is a record breaker & when iron dragon opened up in 1987 this is the 1st time that cedar point installed a major adult coaster (woodstock express is pretty much a junior coaster)that is not a record breaker since iron dragon opened up in 1987.It,s nice to put in a non record breaking coaster for a change.

NEGATIVE:
1)Taking out wwl to put maverick there was not the right thing to do.Cedar Point & pcw are the only 2 amusement parks that have both a shoot the chute water ride & a river raft ride but no log flume ride.& there are many small amusement parks that have no shoot the chute water ride or river raft ride but they do have a log flume ride but cp & pcw are the only 2 amusement parks that have both a shoot the chute water ride & river raft ride but no log flume ride.this was not a good thing for cp to do.
2)1200 rph is not that bad(look at wicked twister or a vekoma boomerang)but it would have have been better if it would have had a higher rider capacity that 1200 rph.
3)Ok 3 inversions is better than nothing but it wouldn,t have been a bad idea to put in a little bit more than 3 inversions.
4)This is the 4th coaster in a row from the same manufacturer.
It would be nice if cp would put in a coaster from another manufacturer instead of putting in one intamin after another.
5)The coaster is going to have the same awful restraints as on kingda ka.

skc2000.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Pete_C at 9/11/06 2:57:32 PM

Let me ask all the naysayers...when was the last time Intamin let you down? This company does nothing but put out intense, unique rides that are loaded with all the forces coaster lovers crave every single year. El Toro set only 1 record (drop angle), and it is THE best ride I have ever ridden. I have no doubt that Maverick will be an excellent ride. Having a launch in the middle of the ride is an element that I have been wanting on more coasters ever since I rode SPEED in Vegas...that is going to be an incredible rush as it will come after several back-to-back elements. I have a feeling many are going to go into this thing wanting to hate the ride, and walk off with possibly their new favorite at CP. If you expected a 500 foot coaster, all I can tell you is that we told you it wouldn't happen, and it didn't.

The capacity is another issue entirely, but don't judge the ride by the numbers or the pictures. I remember several people on this forum saying El Toro will never touch The Voyage based on the facts, and now El Toro is widely considered to be better. Personally, these days I don't even care about numbers anymore.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 9/11/06 3:09:33 PM

> Let me ask all the naysayers...when was the last time
> Intamin let you down? T

Be prepared to be blasted on that one...

TTD and Kinda Ka, but extremely unreliable and prone to all sorts of breakdowns.

Those being catapulted off of their rides, necessitating new restraints that don't fit many people on many rides.

And you know the Intamin bashers are going to go on from there. Personally I don't care who builds it. But I don't know that praising Intamin is going to help your argument much. :)

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/11/06 3:32:43 PM

^^^Yeah I'm not one of these "coaster company bashing" people either. I know one thing, Maverick's queue time is probably going to be long, so hopefully the coaster will at least be reliable. I can't think of a Intamin coaster that's similar to Maverick, to use as a reference for reliability.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Pete_C at 9/11/06 5:54:22 PM

Well, be that as it may, people love those 2 rides for their intensity. Intamin does make the most exciting coasters in the industry right now in my and manys opinion. However, Intamin does suffer from quality and reliability issues though, true. I was speaking more about the stats of the ride.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 9/12/06 7:58:24 AM

> Well, be that as it may, people love those 2 rides for
> their intensity. Intamin does make the most exciting
> coasters in the industry right now in my and manys opinion.
> However, Intamin does suffer from quality and reliability
> issues though, true. I was speaking more about the stats of
> the ride.

Pete, I'm with you on this one. Aside from Deagster being down, I've never met an Intamin I didn't like. There's another issue though with Intamin, it's their seating and how many are turned away because of it. If Intamin could have possibly installed big boy seats, there wouldn't be that negativity towards the company for something like this.

Tim.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Link Link Profile at 10/3/06 3:25:30 AM

I must say that I am wholly surprised--but not in the slightest dissapointed--that Mavie isn't a record-breaker. However, I can't say that this announcement makes me suddently want to visit CP next year.

It looks a bit intense. I hope it provides a good forceful ride like Voyage.

I am not one to spoil over the semantics of capacity. I just hope it's a good ride for CP. My biggest complaint so far from the pictures is the theming--looks pretty dull for a western-themed coaster. The tracks should have been brown.

Unfortunately, there is only one coaster for me now, and that's Voyage.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by MrCoaster at 10/15/06 3:09:37 PM

I cannot wait to go on Mavrick! I'm hoping to go to cedar point next summer or the one after that.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by addict2sobe728 addict2sobe728 Profile at 5/16/07 8:54:02 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T9JCVzASyY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK_GQ-Pnq84
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbS6TYTfLqA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzzpQWJfgpY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guTTVVco1NA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=413TYvLO9KY

So, me being bored on youtube, I found all of these high quality videos of maverick testing. *note* On the video of the train going up the hill, you'll here a loud honk noise. That's the sound you'll here in the tunnel when the train is going to launch. I thought that was a crappy idea. They should have some sort of countdown or hype in the tunnel.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Monolithic at 5/16/07 9:51:43 PM

I guess I missed all the speculation, but I don't see what all of the fuss was about, I think the ride looks like it's going to be a lot of fun.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Ethan Ethan Profile at 5/16/07 9:56:32 PM

Thanks for the vids, I enjoyed them and agree the honk is dumb.

-Ethan-

Burnstien Productions: My Brother's Website!

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 5/16/07 11:03:58 PM

Yeah, I can see it now, if it didn't have the honk, peeps would be crying on their TR's about being taken off guard during the launch. I hate countdowns, like on Rock N Rollercoaster; Talk about a killer of anticipation; Remember, any visuals like countdown monitors, would ruin the experience of the dark tunnel. I think the honk is a nice terse, and subtle way of saying "be prepared for the launch". I don't see what's the big deal.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Mikey_Mad Mikey_Mad Profile at 5/16/07 11:14:13 PM

> 1200pph? Expect huge and I mean huge waits 3hrs+
This could mean the wait for MF is shorter!! Magnum XL became a walk-on when MF opened. This will date me...I remember 3 hour waits for...the Corkscrew.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 5/17/07 12:29:33 AM

Did that make Blue Streak a walk-on? LOL.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Ethan Ethan Profile at 5/17/07 7:24:40 AM

> Yeah, I can see it now, if it didn't have the honk, peeps
> would be crying on their TR's about being taken off guard
> during the launch. I hate countdowns, like on Rock N
> Rollercoaster; Talk about a killer of anticipation;
> Remember, any visuals like countdown monitors, would ruin
> the experience of the dark tunnel. I think the honk is a
> nice terse, and subtle way of saying "be prepared for
> the launch". I don't see what's the big deal.

I see your point, but I think the honk just sounds stupid. I'd rather not have an anticipation slayer like a countdown (although Rock'n'RollerCoaster still took me off guard (I was 8 at the time)) , I just don't like the sound. I think a honk takes away from the ride's intimidation factor, and they need a sound that people will take seriously, not laugh at. I could see laughing at a honk. Maybe a horse naying or some sort of sound effect that fits the theme of the ride. Last time I checked, the ride wasn't "Swan Boats."

-Ethan-

Burnstien Productions: My Brother's Website!

Warning Sounds on Rides by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 5/17/07 11:20:01 AM

> I see your point, but I think the honk just sounds stupid.
> I'd rather not have an anticipation slayer like a countdown
> (although Rock'n'RollerCoaster still took me off guard (I
> was 8 at the time)) , I just don't like the sound. I think
> a honk takes away from the ride's intimidation factor, and
> they need a sound that people will take seriously, not
> laugh at. I could see laughing at a honk. Maybe a horse
> naying or some sort of sound effect that fits the theme of
> the ride. Last time I checked, the ride wasn't "Swan
> Boats."

> -Ethan-
>

Yeah, quite a spoiler and such a silly one at that. On the Big Shot atop the Stratosphere in Vegas, the song Viva Las Vegas is blasted from the rooftop as you are waiting to launch. The ride ops went through this big spiel counting down to takeoff. SPOILER HERE - DO NOT CONTINUE READING if you havent' been on Big Shot: Before they reach "1" you are shot off into the wild blue yonder! I was already scared outta my wits, but at least with a countdown I could 'brace' myself.
Oh noooooo...not on this one, lol.

They got me! And good.

~MommaBeast

Re: Maverick Officially announced by addict2sobe728 addict2sobe728 Profile at 5/17/07 2:45:43 PM

Maybe they should have some cowboy voice say something like. "Get ready, here we go!" With like a really heavy accent.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 5/17/07 5:35:32 PM

Or maybe "Yee Haw!!!!" Ummm....maybe not. Have anyone notice on Expedition Everest just before the trains leave the station, there's a double toot sound.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by cjeagle35 at 5/17/07 7:59:50 PM

It seems the heartline roll will be removed.

http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/fun/blog/index.cfm

I'm a little upset, as that was the element I was most looking forward to. But oh well, it still looks to be an incredible ride.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by RobLec RobLec Profile at 5/17/07 8:07:48 PM

> It seems the heartline roll will be removed.
>

This is what's commonly referred to as "back to the drawing board".
Let's pray that they can get that new track fabricated and put in place before CoasterMania.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by stachedogs stachedogs Profile at 5/17/07 8:38:32 PM

> It seems the heartline roll will be removed.

> http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/fun/blog/index.cfm I'm a
> little upset, as that was the element I was most looking
> forward to. But oh well, it still looks to be an incredible
> ride.

Wow, what a bummer. I'm sure it'll still be a fun ride, but that ground-hugging heartline roll looked awesome... I guess a little *too* awesome. Replacing it with another s-curve seems a bit anti-climactic, doesn't it? Too bad they couldn't fit another inversion in for the last half. There must have been some serious issues with that element. Oh well....better they fix it now than hearing about some ugly incident on the news later. Download the video online now, and enjoy that virtual heartline roll folks! I imagine the CP folks are equally bummed as we are.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 5/17/07 9:08:35 PM

> Replacing it with another s-curve seems a bit anti-climactic, doesn't it?

Exactly. After the tunnel launch, this ride seems to basically be elementless. Sometimes I wonder where they get these coaster designers from; Don't get me wrong, I get sometimes you gotta go back to the drawing board, but damn, six G's on a heartline roll! I'm not gonna pretend like I knew that this inversion was gonna be this intense, but there were folks on the Maverick thread hinting that the heartline roll looked really intense; Yeah really intense alright. I know peeps hate trim brakes, but I guess they weren't an option; It seems like the coaster would've made it to the station, given that the track doesn't seem to be terribly high on the way back. Or maybe how bout decreasing the tunnel launch speed; I guess they weren't options.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by addict2sobe728 addict2sobe728 Profile at 5/17/07 9:59:35 PM

OH MY GOSH!!!!
NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!
THIS IS A DREAM!
I HAVE TO BE DREAMING!!!
THEY CAN'T TAKE IT OUT!!!!!
CP's rating has gone way down for me. That looked like the best part of the ride other than the tunnel.

Re: Maverick Officially announced by Shaft_STL Shaft_STL Profile at 5/18/07 1:13:34 AM

> I know peeps hate trim brakes, but I guess they
> weren't an option; It seems like the coaster would've made
> it to the station, given that the track doesn't seem to be
> terribly high on the way back. Or maybe how bout decreasing
> the tunnel launch speed; I guess they weren't options.

They tried to lower the launch speed...the ride valleyed in the second half. It barely made it through the course the rest of the times through.

They must have gone through every single possibility before coming to their conclusion. The heartline was one of the biggest aspects of the ride design.