Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > TR...Clementon 7/29

TR...Clementon 7/29

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
7/30/06 at
7:43:31 PM

Earlier this season, a planned day trip to SFNE, scheduled for June 17, was tabled due to my nephew's college grad party..I rescheduled it for July 29.

Today's July 30..I'm sore, I'm sunburned, and I'm tired after yesterday...but I didn't even leave New Jersey!.

SFNE may still happen in October, but some health related issues on the part of my travel companion forced another postponement of yesterday's trip.

So I mapped out a solo plan to go to Clementon Amusement Park here in Jersey...I'm kind of embarrassed to admit I've never been there, but I didn't even know the park existed until about 5-6 years ago..I read about their wood coaster, the Jackrabbit, being the oldest operating at that time...But a few things happened the last coupla seasons to put the kibosh on planned trips there, so I FINALLY made it yesterday.

I left at 6:05 am and drove to Atlantic City..ate at Bally's breakfast buffet, played some video poker and slots(only spent about 20 bucks more than I planned) and left at 10:50 to hit the park for a 12pm opening...it's about a 50 minute ride from AC, maybe 2 hours if I went directly from Bayonne...deep in the heart of Camden County, not more than 20 miles or so from Philadelphia.

Arrived about 11:40..FREE PARKING!..a rare and wonderful thing...admission is 28.95 for combo amusement and water park..not sold separately..their website offers a discount coupon that enabled me to save 5 bucks, so with tax, it was a few cents less than $25...spent 3 bucks to rent a locker since I expected to do the water park to an extent...lockers are adjacent to the water park, but the whole park is so small, you won't use a lot of time going back and forth to a locker if need be.

The park is in a beautiful setting, nestled in the Jersey woods on a lake..although it was hot, a gentle, almost constant breeze off the lake kept the heat from being unbearable.

Made my way immediately to the J2, the successor to the aforementioned Jackrabbit...which still stands, albeit SBNO, and in a state of disrepair and negligence...J2, formerly and unfortunately named TSUNAMI upon its 2004 opening, a few months before the Indonesia wave...is a wonderful ride, but among the shortest ever..including the lift hill, it's 70 seconds..and the lift hill is pretty short, since the load station is two lengthy flights of stairs off the ground..great banking turns take up most of the ride time, there's a nice first drop over a portion of the lake...a great ride, but too darn short!...I did a back, a front, and a 2nd from back..all were equally good, but best airtime on the last....I talked to an attendant Mike, a coupla of times..asked him about the old woodie I saw behind J2...he told me it was the Jackrabbit, which I thought had been razed to build J2..so I took the little train ride around the park, which offers some up close and personal views of the old boy...it's in terrible shape, overgrown with weeds, rotting, lumber missing..don't know why it's still there, except as a curio..Mike told me there's no plan to take it down or refurbish.

They have a great log flume that is built in the lake, with a high soak factor...pretty standard selection of flats, of which I rode only about 5...I actually don't know its name(didn't see a sign or anything,only that it was made by Zamperla,) but one ride has you in a flying position in a standard circling format, with a molded board underneath you, unusual, and uncomfortable.

The Water Park is excellent. I cooled off in under geysers and sprays for probably 2 hours or more total, took two trips around the Lazy River tube ride, and two runs on a vertical racing slide....Mike told me the park was more crowded than usual for a Saturday...I waited about 20-25 minutes for each J2 trip, about 10 for the flume and lazy river.a lot of church, community, and summer program groups come there...their market is Camden and Philly, two big urban centers, and since the park is so small, it gets pretty tightly packed...I left at 7:45 and was back in Bayonne by 9:45.

Definitely a neat little park..I only wish I had known about it years ago.

Re: TR...Clementon 7/29 by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 7/31/06 1:23:05 AM

Yeah Mike, when I read the thread topic, I was like; What, and where in the world is Clementon. I knew that it had the be a small park, because you live in Jersey, and wasn't even familiar with Clementon. Yeah, it seems like the Garden State has plenty of charming, old school parks. It sounds like you had very good time, Going to Atlantic City and hitting the slots, then the amusement park (by the way; I'm quite sure you know this already, the board game Monopoly's streets originated from Atlantic City). Good way to finish off the day, by chilling out in a lazy river at the water park. Great job on the TR, Mike.

Chris.

Re: TR...Clementon 7/29 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/31/06 6:57:30 AM

> Yeah Mike, when I read the thread topic, I was like; What,
> and where in the world is Clementon. I knew that it had the
> be a small park, because you live in Jersey, and wasn't
> even familiar with Clementon. Yeah, it seems like the
> Garden State has plenty of charming, old school parks. It
> sounds like you had very good time, Going to Atlantic City
> and hitting the slots, then the amusement park (by the way;
> I'm quite sure you know this already, the board game
> Monopoly's streets originated from Atlantic City). Good way
> to finish off the day, by chilling out in a lazy river at
> the water park. Great job on the TR, Mike.

> Chris.

Thanks, Chris...I wouldn't say plenty of old school stuff..we've got Clementon, Land Of Make Believe, Bowcraft Playland, and a great selection of oceanfront amusement areas in Seaside, Atlantic City, Wildwood, Ocean City..and a few others..then there's the proverbial 800 pound gorilla of the NJ park cadre..SFGadv....and yeah, I knew about Monopoly vis-a-vis Atlantic City, but I'm sure a lot of readers didn't, so it was a cool thing to mention...on a related note, various versions of Monopoly have come out featuring sports teams, cartoon characters, etc., but I saw a SIX FLAGS Monopoly game at a GAdv souvenir shop!

Mike

Re: TR...Clementon 7/29 by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 7/31/06 1:43:04 PM

Yeah Mike, yall' are definitely well represented up there in Jersey, with many varieties of amusement, and of course the eight-hundred lbs gorilla, SFGA. I didn't mean to come across like all Jersey got is a bunch of small parks. Yeah, from what I've seen on RCDB, J2 looks like a pretty big woodie, with that 100+ lift hill. I hope that Clementon can save the Jackrabbit. When are these parks ever gonna learn, you gotta save the classic coasters. I hope Clementon doesn't make that mistake and let Jackrabbit slip away.

Chris.

Re: TR...Clementon 7/29 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/31/06 7:00:34 PM

> Yeah Mike, yall' are definitely well represented up there
> in Jersey, with many varieties of amusement, and of course
> the eight-hundred lbs gorilla, SFGA. I didn't mean to come
> across like all Jersey got is a bunch of small parks. Yeah,
> from what I've seen on RCDB, J2 looks like a pretty big
> woodie, with that 100+ lift hill. I hope that Clementon can
> save the Jackrabbit. When are these parks ever gonna learn,
> you gotta save the classic coasters. I hope Clementon
> doesn't make that mistake and let Jackrabbit slip away.

> Chris.

Ya sound sorta like you're apologizing for commenting on Jersey's small to large park ratio...that's the way it is, so don't think that way...fortunately, Dorney in Allentown PA is actually a shorter ride than SFGAdv from my area!