Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Coney's Big Apple

Coney's Big Apple

Overbanked Overbanked Profile

Posted:
7/19/06 at
12:16:41 PM

When a was young, I specifically remember riding the Big Apple in the mid-eighties. But, according to this website www.coastergallery.com/2003/CI01.html they are saying Big Apple was built in 1996 by Pinfari. How can this be? Even www.rcdb.com just mentions Big Apple being built by Pinfari, but doesn't say what year it was built. This is driving me crazy!!! Please maybe someone in the Northeast can make some since of this.

Re: Coney's Big Apple by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 7/19/06 2:46:27 PM

> When a was young, I specifically remember riding the Big
> Apple in the mid-eighties. But, according to this website
> www.coastergallery.com/2003/CI01.html they are saying Big
> Apple was built in 1996 by Pinfari. How can this be? Even
> www.rcdb.com just mentions Big Apple being built by
> Pinfari, but doesn't say what year it was built. This is
> driving me crazy!!! Please maybe someone in the Northeast
> can make some since of this.

I too have the Big Apple listed as being installed in 1996. It's possible it replaced another coaster or the information we have is incorrect.

http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/coasters/yellowpages/coasters/bigapple_astro.shtml

Re: Coney's Big Apple by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/28/11 2:16:39 PM

Sorry to bring up this oldie, but the Big Apple was such an important coaster to me, as it was my first. Riding through that apple tunnel was such a thrilling feeling back then.

I have two questions; I know that the Big Apple was removed in 08' but does anymore remember was it before Astroland's 08' season began, or after? I went to Coney on 8/6/08, and don't remember seeing the Big Apple, so I'm thinking that it might've already had removed it. Don't ask me why I didn't post this three years ago, my brain is erratic like that. LOL. The other question is does anyone know of it's current whereabouts?

www.rcdb.com/284.htm

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Coney's Big Apple by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/28/11 2:16:41 PM

Double post.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Coney's Big Apple by jimvid at 9/28/11 7:46:03 PM

The Big Apple was there and operated until the end of Astroland's 2008 season. It's not listed for sale any longer on the rides 4 U website, so its quite possible the Alberts were able to sell it.

The ride replaced an older kiddie coaster in 1996 which was either an old Schiff or Miler.

Re: Coney's Big Apple by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/29/11 7:11:38 AM

I can't believe that I've ridden all of those ghost trains in the CI area, but didn't manage one last horrah on the Big Apple. I understand that adults riding kid coasters without a child is looked down upon or whatever, but that was my one exception to the rule. I think what might've happened was I had gotten a lil' low on loot, I couldn't get a ride on the Big Apple in. Oh well.
Thanks for the info Jim.

Re: Coney's Big Apple by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/29/11 9:33:35 PM

Is this the one with the turntable? If so, then I remember riding that many years ago as a child. The ride itself is a blur, but I remember the turntable part. That was just so neat and unique.

Re: Coney's Big Apple by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/30/11 2:21:09 PM

^^^Yup, it had a turntable. I too have ridden it as a child and now have blurry memories about the ride; The part that really got my attention was inside the apple.

Re: Coney's Big Apple by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/30/11 2:31:59 PM

> ^^^Yup, it had a turntable. I too have ridden it as a child
> and now have blurry memories about the ride; The part that
> really got my attention was inside the apple.

I rode it only as an "adult." Then again, I never rode the Cyclone or even got over to Coney until I was an "adult."

I loved the turntable element. I remember it being one of the more fun kiddie coasters (yes, Jen, I know one when I see one and Blackbeard ISN'T one!) I've been on.

Mike

Re: Coney's Big Apple by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/30/11 4:37:46 PM

> I loved the turntable element. I remember it being one of
> the more fun kiddie coasters (yes, Jen, I know one when I
> see one and Blackbeard ISN'T one!) I've been on.

> Mike

Yes it is.... 8~)

Jen