Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > What Was This Once-Common Carnival Ride???

What Was This Once-Common Carnival Ride???

Star-Jet

Posted:
4/27/06 at
12:48:07 AM

Whenever there was a carnival in town back when I was in elementary and junior high school (mid/late 1970s), it wasn't uncommon to hear kids in my class talking about their experiences at the carnival. They would talk about the different rides they went on, and one ride I've often heard mentioned was the "Salt and Pepper Shaker". I'm pretty sure that was the nickname for that particular ride, and not its real name. Can anyone tell me what the "Salt and Pepper Shaker" is or was??? Although I've been to only a handful of carnivals when I was a kid, I never recalled seeing a ride that went by that name whenever I went to them.

Re: What Was This Once-Common Carnival Ride??? by BenW BenW Profile at 4/27/06 1:21:48 AM

It's a roll-o-plane.

Ben

Re: What Was This Once-Common Carnival Ride??? by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 4/27/06 1:07:10 PM

I remember calling that particular ride the "Salt and Pepper Shakers" when I was a kid.

I think a more modern equivalent to the old carny ride is the Zamperla Hawk like Aero 360 at Kennywood or Hammerhead at SFMW.

Or even on the carny circuit the Kamikaze ride (I believe Larson makes it) is sort of like the old S and P Shakers.

G-Dog

Re: What Was This Once-Common Carnival Ride??? by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 4/27/06 1:10:04 PM

> Or even on the carny circuit the Kamikaze ride (I believe
> Larson makes it) is sort of like the old S and P Shakers.

Correction, Fabbri makes the Kamikaze. Larson makes the Super Loops.

G-Dog

Re: What Was This Once-Common Carnival Ride??? by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 4/27/06 2:37:36 PM

> It's a roll-o-plane.

Reminds me of when I was a kid and we'd have the fair or carnivals come into town. As a kid a Loop-O-Plane was one of the more common rides I'd see. We always called it a hammerhead as a kid though. Took me a long time to figure out why noone else seemed to know what ride that was, or what a Loop-O-Plane was. Didn't know they were the same ride.

Re: What Was This Once-Common Carnival Ride??? by imagineer imagineer Profile at 4/27/06 4:06:37 PM

Kennywood used to have one near the exit of Steel Phantom, but I think that when it became Phantom's Revenge, they took it out.

Zac

Re: What Was This Once-Common Carnival Ride??? by Catfish at 4/27/06 8:38:19 PM

> Whenever there was a carnival in town back when I was in
> elementary and junior high school (mid/late 1970s), it
> wasn't uncommon to hear kids in my class talking about
> their experiences at the carnival. They would talk about
> the different rides they went on, and one ride I've often
> heard mentioned was the "Salt and Pepper Shaker".
> I'm pretty sure that was the nickname for that particular
> ride, and not its real name. Can anyone tell me what the
> "Salt and Pepper Shaker" is or was??? Although
> I've been to only a handful of carnivals when I was a kid,
> I never recalled seeing a ride that went by that name
> whenever I went to them.

We always called it the "Bullet" when it came to our fair. I was very scared of this ride. The cars looked like bullets hence its nickname. It always had long lines and was very popular but with only 8 riders per cycle its not very practical for most parks nowadays to have one. But I think Geneva-On_The Lake in northern Ohio has one and Conneaut Lake has one. Kennywood's is gone however.

Re: What Was This Once-Common Carnival Ride??? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/27/06 9:18:52 PM

> We always called it the "Bullet" when it came to
> our fair. I was very scared of this ride. The cars looked
> like bullets hence its nickname. It always had long lines
> and was very popular but with only 8 riders per cycle its
> not very practical for most parks nowadays to have one. But
> I think Geneva-On_The Lake in northern Ohio has one and
> Conneaut Lake has one. Kennywood's is gone however.

I was always intimidated by the BULLET at my school carnival...by the time I got up the nerve to ride it late in grade school, they didn't have it those years!..i never rode a BULLET until I did the one at Kennywood..I'm sorry to hear it's gone.

Mike Gallagher

Re: What Was This Once-Common Carnival Ride??? by eileenbunny at 4/27/06 11:36:27 PM

We called it the salt and pepper shaker too when I was young. I think it'd be interesting to know whether the different terms are because of region, generation, or something completely different.

I always thought the ride was boring and not worth the wait in line.

Re: What Was This Once-Common Carnival Ride??? by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 4/28/06 10:21:49 AM

Here in Southwestern Ontario it was called the salt and pepper shaker as well, never had the nerves to ride it, but after Kennywood's Aero 360, I'd give the ride a go now... if it ever returned.

Tim.

Re: What Was This Once-Common Carnival Ride??? by rocketmover at 4/28/06 11:33:43 AM

Ditto most of above - Knoebels still has one, also known locally as "salt & pepper shaker" or "satelite" - technically is a Roll-o-plan built by Eyerly Aircraft - interesting article on Wikipedia

http://pedia.nodeworks.com/L/LE/LEE/Lee_Eyerly

Eyerly also built Octopus, Fly-o-plane, ( a rather complicater circular ride on the order of Flyers but with lots more cables and stuff), Rock-o-plane (a ferris-wheel sort of contraption with rotating cars) and Loop-o-plane. The difference between Roll-o-plane and Loop-o-plane is that the first has only one arm, a car at each end and the cars don't ever actually do upside down, although they rotate from side to side. During part of the cycle, the arm itself rotates to a horizontal position. Loop-o-plane has two arms, one car at the end of each, which start swinging like pendulums and do go upside down. The last one of these that I saw was at Kennywood.

Roll-o-plane also a great ride to operate as it produces tons of loose change to supplement the snack fund.

Re: What Was This Once-Common Carnival Ride??? by BRossano23 BRossano23 Profile at 4/28/06 12:26:52 PM

Anyone please have a photo?

Re: What Was This Once-Common Carnival Ride??? by AL_W_ at 4/28/06 10:22:28 PM

> Anyone please have a photo?

Here's a link that includes photos of both Kennywood's and Knoebels
versions.
Here on the west coast, this ride was called "The Bullet." The "Salt 'N Pepper" name was apparently an east coast thing.

The "Loop-O-Plane" was called "The Hammer" when it appeared at our local fair here in Central CA.

http://www.flatrides.com/Ride%20Index%20Pages/rolloplane.html

http://www.flatrides.com/Ride%20Index%20Pages/loopoplane.html

Al W.

http://chrismoore.com

Re: What Was This Once-Common Carnival Ride??? by d_n_s_u at 4/29/06 12:39:07 PM

The Dive Bomber!! :-)

Brilliant

From the other side of The Pond

Re: What Was This Once-Common Carnival Ride??? by BenW BenW Profile at 5/1/06 3:21:34 AM

> http://pedia.nodeworks.com/L/LE/LEE/Lee_Eyerly Eyerly
> also built Octopus, Fly-o-plane, ( a rather complicater
> circular ride on the order of Flyers but with lots more
> cables and stuff), Rock-o-plane (a ferris-wheel sort of
> contraption with rotating cars) and Loop-o-plane. The
> difference between Roll-o-plane and Loop-o-plane is that
> the first has only one arm, a car at each end and the cars
> don't ever actually do upside down, although they rotate
> from side to side. During part of the cycle, the arm itself
> rotates to a horizontal position. Loop-o-plane has two
> arms, one car at the end of each, which start swinging like
> pendulums and do go upside down. The last one of these that
> I saw was at Kennywood.

That was some interesting clarification to me at least. I've been on a roll-o-plane but not a loop-o-plane, and I'd always wondered about the difference between them since they superficially look similar.

Cheers for the fly-o-plane! It may not be the most comfortable thing in the world, but I can't think of much out there that duplicates the ride experience. Well, good for me but my wife's probably not going to go on it again...

Ben

Ben

Re: What Was This Once-Common Carnival Ride??? by Panic_At_The_Disco at 5/7/06 2:00:53 PM

yeah...at the fair in my town, they always have the same rides and the roll-o-plane is one of them, except everyone in my school calls it the sidewinder

Re: What Was This Once-Common Carnival Ride??? by Ridenut Ridenut Profile at 6/19/07 8:50:24 PM

The Roll-O-Plane was sometimes referred to as "The Bullet" but I never heard anyone refer to it around here as "The Salt and Pepper Shaker"

I always found it interesting that Eyerly's rides, Roll-O- Plane, Rock-O-Plane, Oct-O-Pus, Loop-O-Plane, and Fly-O-Plane all had the letter "O" in the center of the name. All of those rides came out of the factory painted red, white, and green.

Another ride that appeared for awhile, not built by Eyerly, was named "The Sidewinder". It had cars shaped differently than the Roll-O-Plane but it gave the same ride action. I haven't seen one of them for about 15 years.

A ride that appeared later that is similar to the Oct-O-Pus is the Spider. The Kamikazee in recent years was a much bigger version of the old Loop-O-Plane.

There was a ride named The Spitfire, years ago, that had planes similar to the ones on the Fly-O-Plane. The were attached to a framework that was later converted for the ride The Paratrooper.

Re: What Was This Once-Common Carnival Ride??? by Nocho at 6/20/07 7:44:29 AM

Erieview Park in Geneva-on-the-Lake had one until they removed the park last year. I don't know what the name of it was, but I think it was the same ride being talked about.

Re: What Was This Once-Common Carnival Ride??? by CoasterCrazy26 CoasterCrazy26 Profile at 6/20/07 12:32:51 PM

I love Roll-O-Planes, and the whole line of Everly ...-O-Plane rides! I haven't seen one of them in a while though!

Re: What Was This Once-Common Carnival Ride??? by VJDiAngelo VJDiAngelo Profile at 6/21/07 4:34:28 PM

Knoebel's has one that they call the Satellite. I don't know if it is in fact an Eyerly model, but as far as I remember it is the same ride action as the Roll-O-Plane.

Vic

How did I miss Rocketmover's post saying the same thing?!! Doh!

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: What Was This Once-Common Carnival Ride??? by gamash at 12/8/08 2:00:55 AM

this is it: http://miraclerides.com/RRrolloplane.html it was originally designed as a flight simulation device for flight schools by the eyerly company (check wikipedia) although this one turns only on the vertical axis, they originally turned also on the horizontal axis. I hear that in some states that is still allowed. but not here; safety regulations forbid it.

http://miraclerides.com

Re: What Was This Once-Common Carnival Ride??? by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 12/8/08 9:19:54 AM

> this is it: > target="_blank"
> href="http://miraclerides.com/RRrolloplane.html">
http://miraclerides.com/RRrolloplane.html
> it was originally designed as a flight simulation device
> for flight schools by the eyerly company (check wikipedia)
> although this one turns only on the vertical axis, they
> originally turned also on the horizontal axis. I hear that
> in some states that is still allowed. but not here; safety
> regulations forbid it.

Nice pictures, but there is no way they ever turned on their horizontal access, and one look at the picture will be able to confirm that. The structural supports just won't allow it. I also highly doubt that it was meant as a flight simulation device as this wasn't even the first ride they designed. The first ride they built was one that used some things similar to a flight control stick so that the person that was in teh ride could adjust it a bit.

"Eyerly Aircraft built 60 of those rides before creating the Loop-O-Plane, Octopus, Roll-O-Plane and Fly-O-Plane. In 1949, the Rock-O-Plane debuted." quote taken from this article, which includes an interview with the owner and son of the founder:
http://www.allbusiness.com/services/amusement-recreation-services/4596612-1.html

Re: What Was This Once-Common Carnival Ride??? by coastermom coastermom Profile at 12/9/08 1:53:48 AM

In Philly we called it the Salt & Pepper Shaker as well.
Remember how they always blasted CCR music! Everytime I hear "Around the Bend" I think of the Round Up because they'd always play that song at the Round Up.
Ahhhhhhh memories..

Re: What Was This Once-Common Carnival Ride??? by AnimalFarm2006 at 12/27/09 12:18:19 AM

I remember both of thoes types of rides. I never knew it as the Salt shaker. I use to call the one version with the cars that go upside down, the running boots. I think the swivle one is funner than the other one.

does anyone know what that fast side ways farris wheel carnival ride was? I named it the ferris wheel from hell as the one that always came to our town was older than dirt, broke down 60% of the time, but I loved the the thrill of swining out over a hill.

Re: What Was This Once-Common Carnival Ride??? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 12/27/09 12:32:44 AM

> does anyone know what that fast side ways farris wheel
> carnival ride was? I named it the ferris wheel from hell as
> the one that always came to our town was older than dirt,
> broke down 60% of the time, but I loved the the thrill of
> swining out over a hill.

Was it an enterprise? That's the only flatride that I can think of that sorta resembles a ferris wheel, is fast, and sideways.

Re: What Was This Once-Common Carnival Ride??? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/27/09 8:11:36 AM

> does anyone know what that fast side ways farris wheel
> carnival ride was? I named it the ferris wheel from hell as
> the one that always came to our town was older than dirt,
> broke down 60% of the time, but I loved the the thrill of
> swining out over a hill.

> Was it an enterprise? That's the only flatride that I can
> think of that sorta resembles a ferris wheel, is fast, and
> sideways.

>
My thought exactly...I LOOOVE the Enterprise...and Witches Wheel..and Volcano..and the dear, departed Spin Meister at GAdv.

Mike

Re: What Was This Once-Common Carnival Ride??? by d_n_s_u at 12/27/09 2:06:38 PM

The Sidewinder is mentioned in a post above. Here's a picture of Blackpool's Sidewinder circa 1982 ish.

* This Post Has Been Modified * User Submitted Picture

Re: What Was This Once-Common Carnival Ride??? by trailer-ride-fan at 6/5/11 2:27:21 PM

I remember when both the Loop-O-Planes and The Roll-O-Planes would come to La Crosse for Oktoberfest. Around here we called them "The Hammers" and "The Bullet." Unfortunately, there was a horrible accident with The Bullet back in the '80s when one of the cars broke off and seriously injured a girl. After that, the Bullet was never brought back again.
Although not a complex ride, I always enjoyed watching the Loop-O-Planes.

Re: What Was This Once-Common Carnival Ride??? by pfh777 at 8/18/11 9:14:48 AM

We used to call it the Salt and Pepper Shaker and also the Divebomber. In fact it was just at a fair in Danville, Vermont this past weekend. It's different than the Roll-O-type rides because the cars on each side of the arm rotate so the riders never go upside down.

Re: What Was This Once-Common Carnival Ride??? by bluelawn69 at 8/25/11 7:23:18 PM

I have been looking to buy one its an old style man powered ride 1,2,3,or even 4 people could get in one you would have to get a good back&forth rythm going the better you did the higher you could go and if done well enough you could make a complete revolution around and if you did so you would then have enough momentem to do several easyly it got the name due to it was a pair of them one was painted black one was painted white hence salt and pepper ride if any one knows where to locate one i would like to find one

Re: What Was This Once-Common Carnival Ride??? by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 9/7/11 6:15:11 PM

You're talking about the swinging cages. I don't know if there are any left. There were a heck of a lot of people that got hurt on those because they didn't know how to brace themselves while making their cages swing.

Interesting note- we had a Roll-O-Plane, Rock-O-Plane and Loop-O-Plane all at a couple of carnivals in the area here in the last couple of weeks. The first two were at the BroilerFest here in Crane run by Bluff City Shows, and in very poor shape. The Loop-O-Plane was in Billings for their annual fair and run by Fun Time Shows and it was in absolutely pristine condition. A gorgeous ride.