Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > The Wildcat of Fairyland Park, Kansas City

The Wildcat of Fairyland Park, Kansas City

alisotom

Posted:
3/19/06 at
2:22:54 PM

in the early 60's, my dad was a southern baptist minister at a church right across the street from the fairyland park in kansas city, mo. it was torturous for me to sit in church each sunday and hear the wildcat roller coaster each time it cornered the end closest to the church and not be able to be on it. i was 5 or 6 years old at the time and i would stand outside the church and watch it over and over again. finally, one day my dad got so tired of hearing my pleas to ride it that he took me to the park but as soon as i got up face-to-face with the ride itself, it scared the crap out of me and he couldnt drag me onto it. he was more than upset with me and for the rest of my life i have regretted NOT riding it. i knew the park had closed down years ago, but until today, march 19, 2006, when i joined ultimaterollercoaster.com, i did not know that the coaster had been relocated to frontier city in OK. as soon as school is out for the summer (i'm a prof of math in so calif.), i'm going to head to OK to ride it---i can hardly wait!!! is there anyone out there who can tell me ANYTHING about the ride as it is now???

Re: The Wildcat of Fairyland Park, Kansas City by Raven_Rider at 3/19/06 9:02:56 PM

> in the early 60's, my dad was a southern baptist minister
> at a church right across the street from the fairyland park
> in kansas city, mo. it was torturous for me to sit in
> church each sunday and hear the wildcat roller coaster each
> time it cornered the end closest to the church and not be
> able to be on it. i was 5 or 6 years old at the time and i
> would stand outside the church and watch it over and over
> again. finally, one day my dad got so tired of hearing my
> pleas to ride it that he took me to the park but as soon as
> i got up face-to-face with the ride itself, it scared the
> crap out of me and he couldnt drag me onto it. he was more
> than upset with me and for the rest of my life i have
> regretted NOT riding it. i knew the park had closed down
> years ago, but until today, march 19, 2006, when i joined
> ultimaterollercoaster.com, i did not know that the coaster
> had been relocated to frontier city in OK. as soon as
> school is out for the summer (i'm a prof of math in so
> calif.), i'm going to head to OK to ride it---i can hardly
> wait!!! is there anyone out there who can tell me ANYTHING
> about the ride as it is now???

From what I hear it was reprofiled a bit nemely the ending (they added a faux splashdown to it) when they moved it to OKC. Other than that I'm not sure if it was changed much. Have a great time going for a ride on it.

Have Fun

Paul Drabek

Negative-G

Re: The Wildcat of Fairyland Park, Kansas City by MABrider MABrider Profile at 3/20/06 11:10:20 AM

rcdb has this:

http://www.rcdb.com/id154.htm

Click on the Relocated to: Frontier City link for current status

Mike B.

Re: The Wildcat of Fairyland Park, Kansas City by jlovesee at 3/21/06 12:02:44 AM

Though Worlds of Fun has my heart, Im truly fascinated by all of Kansas City's old amusement parks having lived here all my life :) When I was a teenager my dad and I went on a walking tour through the remains of Fairyland, Im glad I got the chance to do that, Fairyland actually closed a year after I was born (1978).

Wildcat was moved to Frontierland, and from what I've heard the first half of the ride hasn't changed much but the second half is completely different. Still its always good to see another coaster live on.

It also runs new PTC trains, Im not sure what happened with the original Wildcat trains from Fairyland.

Jennifer

Re: The Wildcat of Fairyland Park, Kansas City by sparky sparky Profile at 3/21/06 7:39:55 AM

> Wildcat was moved to Frontierland, and from what I've heard
> the first half of the ride hasn't changed much but the
> second half is completely different. Still its always good
> to see another coaster live on.

> It also runs new PTC trains, Im not sure what happened with
> the original Wildcat trains from Fairyland.

When Wildcat reopened at Frontier City in the early 1990s, it retained one of the ride's two NAD three bench three car trains (sans headlights). By the late 1990s, the park opted to go with a new three bench three car PTC to ease wear on the track.

As for the ride, I first rode it in 2003, and was less than impressed (actually a microchasm for the whole park). While nice to see a ride "saved", I questioned whether or not a ride was really saved, as the Wildcat as it stands today and the original layout of the ride in Kansas City are so different (as Jennifer mentioned, mostly the second half of the ride).

Wildcat runs smoothly enough, but aside from some nice laterals on the turnaround, has not much in the way of interesting forces. No airtime at all. Plus, the old fake-out splashdown at the end has been shut off. Now, trains come to a dead stop before the old splashdown area before rolling down to the station.

The two best rides at Frontier City (to me at least) were the great, custom designed Hopkins Rapids and Log Flume.

-Mark

Be a Pig

Re: The Wildcat of Fairyland Park, Kansas City by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 3/27/06 10:40:15 AM

I'd have to agree with a lot of what he said. Wildcat feels like it wants to do so much more, but it just didnt' quite get there when we were riding- like it needs more grease or something to help it go. It was a decent ride, but wasn't anything outstanding.

On the other hand, I have to disagree on one thing- I absolutely loved Frontier City. We were lucky and caught it on a day that it was nearly empty (be sure to go on a weekday if you can), and we had a blast at the park. It's a great mix of rides, and their S&S slingshot (Eruption) is free, which is nice. Silver Bullet was more than worth the entry alone, as it's a great coaster.

And with Six Flags closing and/or selling the park after this year, I'd certainly be sure to get there this summer if you can. We really enjoyed it on our trip accross the country last year. You can see some pictures of it on my photos pages

http://sirwillow.smugmug.com click on the travel section, then look for the Cross Country 2004 link (I think it says 14 parks or something like that) Frontier City will be in there. I'll try to look up my TR from the park also.

Re: The Wildcat of Fairyland Park, Kansas City by GRAVEDIGGER at 3/28/06 12:39:13 PM

The Wildcat is not much more than a kiddie coaster at this point. I was very disappointed. I think the Beastie is more fun actually.

If you do go to the park. . . .dont miss the following.

Log Flume is one of the most original I have ever been on. Has a pitch black tunnel that lasts forever.

Eruption is awesome.

Silver bullet. Shwartzkoff never fails.

The rapids ride and tower rides are fun as well.

Re: The Wildcat of Fairyland Park, Kansas City by D3athCabforCuti3 at 3/28/06 6:25:03 PM

>Shwartzkoff never fails.

SHWARTZKOFF??? SHWARTZKOFF? I am digusted!!! How can you misspell the name of the great Schwarzkopf???? Seriously!!!

Sarcasm...

Re: The Wildcat of Fairyland Park, Kansas City by GRAVEDIGGER at 3/29/06 11:43:56 AM

> >Shwartzkoff never fails.

> SHWARTZKOFF??? SHWARTZKOFF? I am digusted!!! How can you
> misspell the name of the great Schwarzkopf???? Seriously!!!

> Sarcasm...

Nothing gets by on these boards!!!!

Re: The Wildcat of Fairyland Park, Kansas City by boblovestoys at 7/12/08 9:33:12 AM

I'm new to the site. If someone can tell me if I can post pics, I have some great pics of the Wildcat while it was still in Kansas City. I was a cop and went inside Fairyland about a year before they started taking it apart. Let me know. If I can't post pics of it, send me a email and I will email the pics. I have pics of the hill, and the trains parked in the station at the time.

Re: The Wildcat of Fairyland Park, Kansas City by mapew9319 mapew9319 Profile at 7/12/08 10:17:31 AM

> I'm new to the site. If someone can tell me if I can post
> pics, I have some great pics of the Wildcat while it was
> still in Kansas City. I was a cop and went inside Fairyland
> about a year before they started taking it apart. Let me
> know. If I can't post pics of it, send me a email and I
> will email the pics. I have pics of the hill, and the
> trains parked in the station at the time.

Yup, you can post pictures. You have to put the JPG link in the image URL box. But I think thats just for one single picture. There is a way to do it for more than one, but I'm not exactly sure how. I'm sure someone will chime in that knows how.

Re: The Wildcat of Fairyland Park, Kansas City by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 7/12/08 10:26:28 AM

> I'm new to the site. If someone can tell me if I can post
> pics, I have some great pics of the Wildcat while it was
> still in Kansas City. I was a cop and went inside Fairyland
> about a year before they started taking it apart. Let me
> know. If I can't post pics of it, send me a email and I
> will email the pics. I have pics of the hill, and the
> trains parked in the station at the time.

> Yup, you can post pictures. You have to put the JPG link in
> the image URL box. But I think thats just for one single
> picture. There is a way to do it for more than one, but I'm
> not exactly sure how. I'm sure someone will chime in that
> knows how.
>

You put (without the spaces) [ img ] image URL [ /img ]

That's how you post multiple images in a post. Make sure you preview the message before posting to make sure you've got it right.

-Josh

-Josh

Re: The Wildcat of Fairyland Park, Kansas City by peachymom at 12/19/08 11:20:40 PM

I was about 5 and my sister 4 when my father took us on this coaster. There were not any lap-belts or bars at that time. I remember popping up out of the seat. My father had to hold me in. My sister was in the floor of the car at the end of the ride. The ride at Fronter City in Oklahoma City is much shorter and not quit the thrill with all the safety devices. I still have to ride it everytime I go though.

Re: The Wildcat of Fairyland Park, Kansas City by Notrollercoastercraz at 10/24/09 5:06:52 PM

I moved from Kansas City to Los Angeles three years ago. I took my grandchildren to Disney Land and marveled at the progress of rides in theme parks since the Fairyland Park (Permanent Carnival) days. Fairyland Park met its end with the introduction of Worlds of Fun. I remember my first and last ride on the "WILDCAT"! All of my friends talked about it. I watched year after year as people older and younger than me got on and off. I observed the faces of its VICTIMS from the sidelines, about 100 feet away, right at the bottom of that first drop. I heard the stories about how people died on the CAT but it never seemed to deter anyone from riding afterwards. I finally got the nerve to do it. I RODE THE CAT!!! I told myself if I could get past that first dip, I would be home free!!! When we hit that drop, (holding onto that one cross-bar that was known for accidentally releasing after hitting the first dip) I thought my life was about to end. I knew in a split second, that I would be one of those death stories everyone
would talk about for a week before they rode the CAT again. The force of hitting that dip caused me to rise out of my seat despite the cross bar. I felt myself being held onto by the two people I rode with. WHO WAS HOLDING THEM DOWN is the question I ask to this day. I KNOW I WAS AIRBORN!!! When the ride ended, I felt that I had been initiated to an ELITE club of coaster riders and have ALWAYS respected all rides because of the WILDCAT. Although it may not be the coaster with the moster today at it's new home, the EXTREME RISK of riding a coaster in those days without the benefit of today's coaster technology made the WILDCAT more risky because it affected you psychology, the mind... where true respect of such machines comes from.

Re: The Wildcat of Fairyland Park, Kansas City by Notrollercoastercraz at 10/24/09 5:10:17 PM

I miss Fairyland Park!!!

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: The Wildcat of Fairyland Park, Kansas City by Shaft_STL Shaft_STL Profile at 10/25/09 1:22:06 AM

> Although it may not be the
> coaster with the moster today at it's new home, the EXTREME
> RISK of riding a coaster in those days without the benefit
> of today's coaster technology

That's a bit of an exaggeration.

Re: The Wildcat of Fairyland Park, Kansas City by CoasterWoman CoasterWoman Profile at 10/25/09 1:53:00 PM

I hope you get to ride it! The same thing happened to me about 6 years ago. I was about 11. I went to Knott's Berry Farm and was going to ride The Silver Bullet. I chickened out and regretted it for about 3 more years. Then, when I rode it, I thought it was the best thing ever. Then one time at a fair that same year, there was a ride called Force 10. I was terrified to ride it, and I didn't ride it. I still regret it to this day because I never found the ride again and I itill haven't riden it. I can't tell you anything about Wildcat because I've never riden it.

Re: The Wildcat of Fairyland Park, Kansas City by alisotom at 10/25/09 3:51:58 PM

yes, coaster woman, ive learned not to let opportunities slip away because they may never come again. i hope YOU get the chance to ride all the coasters you want. i must admit, you are much braver than i am.

Re: The Wildcat of Fairyland Park, Kansas City by MidwestieLady at 11/22/09 4:15:09 PM

I remember Fairyland Park too. I do wish I had some photos of it. Did the man who had the photos ever post them?

I also have a nice piece of Fairyland history. I have a roll of red tickets for the train at Fairyland Park. They are printed with the name "Fairyland Park, Kansas City, MO, Ride Ticket. TRAIN. Est. Price .12, Fed. Tax .02, State Tax .002"

I plan to list them on etsy(dot)com in my shop: MidwestieLady
If you have any photos, please let me know.

Linda Harbin
Florida

Re: The Wildcat of Fairyland Park, Kansas City by alisotom at 11/22/09 7:56:08 PM

wow---those have got to be worth something---how did you end up with a whole roll of those tickets?

Re: The Wildcat of Fairyland Park, Kansas City by MidwestieLady at 11/22/09 8:27:33 PM

I found them in an antique shop in the Kansas City area and remembered the name, so I bought them.

I'm a mixed media artist and have always wanted to use some in an art piece that I would create that would also show how the park used to look. But I'd like to paint some of the rides too, that why I'm still looking for some photos.

Re: The Wildcat of Fairyland Park, Kansas City by CoinHunter at 2/20/10 11:02:57 PM

Midwestielady, I was hoping you still had the roll of tickets. I searched the Esty site under your ID and didnt see them. I collect Fairyland Park items if you or anyone else has anything. Thanks, Duane

Re: The Wildcat of Fairyland Park, Kansas City by MidwestieLady at 2/21/10 12:21:48 AM

Hello,

I didn't list them on MidwestieLady on Etsy because I didn't hear back from anyone that they wanted any tickets. I only have art in that shop right now.

If you are interested in some of the tickets, let me know how many you want and make an offer, and if we agree, I'll list them on etsy.com in my shop as a reserved item, so you can buy them. You don't have to bid on Etsy.com. I only take PayPal on etsy for payments.

Linda

Re: The Wildcat of Fairyland Park, Kansas City by debbasher at 8/6/12 12:29:00 AM
There is a great full blown photograph of Fairland Park with some of the letters missing as it was closed down hanging on the wall at Johnson County Community College in the new Galileo Building.
Re: The Wildcat of Fairyland Park, Kansas City by alisotom at 4/11/14 12:30:07 AM
loved reading all the responses since i wrote my original post 8 years ago. i googled fairyland park and found a facebook page with some old pix of fairyland, and i'm sure there are other pages with more pix as well. have yet to go to frontierland and ride the Wildcat, even after some of the less than positive reviews.