Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > West Point Park

West Point Park

tbullsr

Posted:
9/16/05 at
2:22:20 PM

West Point Park was a small theme park that my family went to in Montgomery County, Pa. back in the 70's and early 80's when it was closed down. I've done some searching and can't seem to find any photos. Does any one remember this park and also do you know where I may be able to find some pics?

Thank you
Tim

Re: West Point Park by manonmoon at 3/20/06 10:07:28 PM

> West Point Park was a small theme park that my family went
> to in Montgomery County, Pa. back in the 70's and early
> 80's when it was closed down. I've done some searching and
> can't seem to find any photos. Does any one remember this
> park and also do you know where I may be able to find some
> pics?

> Thank you
> Tim

I remember West Point Park. It was the 60's and early 70's when I visited the park frequently with my family. I remember the Wild Mouse, Bumper Cars and you had to be taller than "Bugs Bunny" (I think)or another cartoon character for one of the rides. The Roller coaster came a little later. The park also had boats(that were in water but were mechanically driven) and swings. I think there was also a ride called "The Whip".
Sorry, I remember the park but do not have any photos.

Manonmoon

Re: West Point Park by D3athCabforCuti3 at 3/21/06 5:42:02 PM

> pics?

> Thank you
> Tim

I live in Central Pa., and there is this one person I know who might have old pictures of the park.

Re: West Point Park by DonsStang DonsStang Profile at 5/23/06 2:45:29 PM

I do remember the park, I had only visited it once back in the late 70's. Unfortunately, I don't have any pics. The park was located on Garfield Ave in West Point, PA directly behind what now is Merck Pharmacuticals. Part of the lake is still there where the swings use to be but it's all houses now. I only wish I could have revisited the park before it closed.

Don

Re: West Point Park by DonsStang DonsStang Profile at 5/23/06 2:54:37 PM

I found a link to a web page that has pics of what now the boat pond looks like and a map of the park. Here's the link http://www.amusementparknostalgia.com/wpoint.html

Re: West Point Park by bookbuffy at 9/13/06 8:48:17 AM

Thank you so much for providing this link. My family lived at 851 Garfield Ave for 5 years from 1979 - 1984. We walked to the park and have many fond memories. I knew that the park have been removed, but was no aware that the new development included the old pond. I am so touched by this. I would LOVE to live there, but we are firmly rooted to SC now. Thanks again for giving me such happy memories....

Katie

> pics?

> Thank you
> Tim

Re: West Point Park by perryritter at 9/5/07 3:46:32 PM

I grew up in West Point and visited the park every Wednesday and Friday during the summer. I lived on Jones Ave and 3rd Street. I have found some photos of The Jumper online and have posted the link below. Brings back some really good memories. Enjoy.
User Submitted Picture

The Jumper Photos

Re: West Point Park by kgkg at 5/13/08 2:59:48 PM

Here is a link to pictures of the West Point Roller Coaster.
http://www.rcdb.com/ig1674.htm

West Point Park, PA Jumper Roller Coaster Pictures

Re: West Point Park by rocketmover at 5/13/08 3:29:06 PM

see link - I might have some old pictures, will check

http://www.amusementparknostalgia.com/indwe.html

http://www.amusementparknostalgia.com/indwe.html

Re: West Point Park by tbullsr at 5/30/08 6:38:53 PM

I would like to thank perryritter for the pics of the jumper. Awesome. That was the first coaster I was ever on. I have to show my family. Thanks Again!

Tim

Re: West Point Park by Fastfly48 Fastfly48 Profile at 5/30/08 10:43:27 PM

Glad you found what you were looking for Tim.
This thread got me smile'n.
Nice work guys.

Re: West Point Park by nuttin2no1 at 8/11/08 3:21:15 PM

Hey all,
I also wanted to say thanks for the pictures of the Jumper.
It too was my first roller coaster. I remember my mother trying to get me on a different one at a different park and I freaked and cried and dropped to dead weight not to get on it. Then when my Dad started bringing us here all the time I got brave and went on the Jumper. I loved it so much that was pretty much where I spent my day. I also remember going on the swings and feeling as if you were flying...with a little fear of losing your shoe in the lake!!
We always tied our shoes tighter right before getting on the swings.
Thanks everyone for this trip down memory lane. I came across this board from finding an old news picture of my sister, cousin and I in the mechanical boats. I always thought it was great adventure that we used to go to all the time, here it was West Point, so much better and more personable.

Re: West Point Park by tbullsr at 8/15/08 3:13:21 PM

Nuttin2no1

West point park was a great place wasn't it? I too have some really great memories of that park. Glad you ejoyed the pics, I know I did. Do you remember the game room? We'd always go in there for a few rounds of air hockey. Awesome times. The difference between coasters then and coasters now is just amazing, but I always find myself enjoying the wooden, creeky, more dangerous ones better than the steel coasters.

Take care,
Tim

Re: West Point Park by jlh_l_a at 9/18/08 11:15:35 AM

Those pics of The Jumper are awesome! My whole family worked at that park. My unlce ran The Jumper a few times. My grandfather ran the train and my cousin sat on the back. I spent every summer there. Reading these comments makes me remember so many things about that park. I will have to dig around to get some pics, but I do have some. I loved that park. What is really ironic is that my mom now lives on that road in which West Point Park was on. She doesnt live in any of the new houses, but she's there. I was just out there in Feb. and I loved to see that area. My sister and I were just talking about the Park the other day. We couldnt remember the name of the ride that my dad ran. It was across from the ferris wheel and where you could get the biggest slice of pizza. You would stand up on it and it would spin around. Was it called The Spinner ? Mostly everyone remembers my dad as look alike Abe Lincoln who ran the Whip. Man I miss those days.

Re: West Point Park by BibleJohn at 10/25/08 2:00:38 PM

I went to this park in the summer of 1966. I was given a red ballon on a string while going through a small opening in a fence or what was the gate. As soon as I got hold of the string I let go, my ballon went up into the air and my day was ruined.
I went on the coaster many times that day with someone who worked with my dad at Philco, they were electrical engineers on the company picnic. I am the youngest of four sons and my parents had their hands full. I can remiember everything that day like it was yesterday. I would like to see some photos of the swing boxes. I still laugh thinking about my oldest brother swinging in one.

Re: West Point Park by dewey75 at 12/8/08 8:28:53 PM

I was just thinking about this park tonight. I lived right on the corner of Garfield and S. Broad St. We went to that park every Friday night. I remember going on the Jumper and the bumper cars and making it home for the Dukes of Hazzard at eight o clock. What memories!!

Re: West Point Park by tbullsr at 12/9/08 6:31:29 PM

Excellent memeories indeed. It's hard to beleive that all the times we went there no one in my family can find any pics. Could be they didn't take any. Anyway, the mind is a great camera.

> I was just thinking about this park tonight. I lived right
> on the corner of Garfield and S. Broad St. We went to that
> park every Friday night. I remember going on the Jumper and
> the bumper cars and making it home for the Dukes of Hazzard
> at eight o clock. What memories!!

Re: West Point Park by molly11 at 1/17/09 4:53:12 PM

> I grew up in West Point and visited the park every
> Wednesday and Friday during the summer. I lived on Jones
> Ave and 3rd Street. I have found some photos of The Jumper
> online and have posted the link below. Brings back some
> really good memories. Enjoy.

Nice pictures! I grew up on Jones and 3rd Ave too. When did you live there? I understand it's gone, a part of Merc now...

We lived there until 1974, but my parents rented it out for a few years I think before we were certain my dad wasn't being transfered back.
>

Re: West Point Park by perryritter at 1/20/09 3:36:43 PM

> I grew up in West Point and visited the park every
> Wednesday and Friday during the summer. I lived on Jones
> Ave and 3rd Street. I have found some photos of The Jumper
> online and have posted the link below. Brings back some
> really good memories. Enjoy.

> Nice pictures! I grew up on Jones and 3rd Ave too. When did
> you live there? I understand it's gone, a part of Merc
> now...

> We lived there until 1974, but my parents rented it out for
> a few years I think before we were certain my dad wasn't
> being transfered back.
> >
Me and my family did not move there around 1977. We lived in the old farm house right on the corner of 3rd and Jones. Merck was/is in the backyard and has bought most of the houses on the one side of Jones. They have torn everything down they bought. there are only three houses left. The big crumbling house on 2nd and Jones, the twin next to it and my old house.

Re: West Point Park by bhaberlenurse at 4/12/09 5:19:26 PM

I remember going to that park every Friday with my mom and cousins. Funny thing we found a park exactly like it with the same rides called Williams Grove Amusement park. Including water rides, it cost 10 per person all day. After 3 years going there, it closed. I found in my garage a bunch of beer pitchers with West Point Park logo "Where Better Pcnics Go" and they have beer names on the back of them. They are plastic, in good shape and are about a foot tall. Any idea who would want these...I was thinking of Ebay...Thanks for the memories :) Brenda

Re: West Point Park by perryritter at 7/29/09 3:08:44 PM

I remember your father working there. That is crazy. Name of the ride was "The Space Spin."

Re: West Point Park by perryritter at 7/29/09 3:14:18 PM

> I remember going to that park every Friday with my mom and
> cousins. Funny thing we found a park exactly like it with
> the same rides called Williams Grove Amusement park.
> Including water rides, it cost 10 per person all day. After
> 3 years going there, it closed. I found in my garage a
> bunch of beer pitchers with West Point Park logo
> "Where Better Pcnics Go" and they have beer names
> on the back of them. They are plastic, in good shape and
> are about a foot tall. Any idea who would want these...I
> was thinking of Ebay...Thanks for the memories :) Brenda

Do you still have those pitchers? I would love to see a picture of them and than buy them from you if they are in good shape.

Re: West Point Park by bhaberlenurse at 7/30/09 7:02:33 PM

Here are some links to pictures-I can see how many we have...let me know..can I have your email address for more pictures and contact? Thanks

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/sKHAeoPtVurb1iBeSq46Ng?authkey=Gv1sRgCKSG_eqbzr3kFQ&feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/INhRfK6-PuP3dz74PDkIFQ?authkey=Gv1sRgCKSG_eqbzr3kFQ&feat=directlink

User Submitted Picture

Re: West Point Park by parkbookman parkbookman Profile at 7/31/09 2:44:01 PM

Those look really cool. I would be interested if you are looking to get rid of some.

Re: West Point Park by lhasadad at 9/2/09 11:22:24 PM

Great Pics. Someone said they had worked there and had pictures. I would love to see those. My family would go for an outing with the LuLu Temple Shrine club. I remember that park well, atually have some video (from super 8 film) of the train rolling by with the Shrine club band playing (no sound). In addition to the items mentioned above, I remember the fun house (dark ride with scary stuff). some sort of box swings, the kiddie area, the dance floor, and some sort of box swings that you would do loops with by throwing you weight back and forth. My favorite ride was the Bumper cars, I would loop back into the line for hours....

Re: West Point Park by bhaberlenurse at 10/15/09 9:05:16 PM

> Those look really cool. I would be interested if you are
> looking to get rid of some.

Sorry way long to reply...moving thing :) I have about 18 or 19 of these pitchers...are you still interested in some...I was thinking about $2.00 per pitcher plus shipping...I do some ebaying and will ship as cheap as possible..can give you more definitive price if you are interested or anyone else...let me know, Thanks, Brenda

Re: West Point Park by jwarden at 10/31/09 4:34:35 PM

I was a police officer for Upper Gwynedd back in mid 60's until mid 70's. I remember the wild mouse and a man getting a broken neck. The roller coaster coming off the tracks and numerous people getting hurt. OH YES THERE WAS THE PICNIC GROVES ON SUNDAYS WITH THE DRINKING AND FIGHTS. THOSE WERE THE DAYS. HOWARD BOOZ WAS ONE OF THE OWNERS AT THIS TIME.

jim

Re: West Point Park by DragonLord at 11/21/09 3:48:21 AM

I would love to purchase one or more of these pitchers. West Point Park was my first amusement park ever and also my first rollercoaster ride. Please email me at chad.dragonlord@gmail.com

Re: West Point Park by fkab12 at 12/2/09 8:44:38 PM

> Here are some links to pictures-I can see how many we
> have...let me know..can I have your email address for more
> pictures and contact? Thanks

>

Good evening,

I would also be interested in purchasing a few of these pitchers. My family and I attended WPP every Father's Day as part of out church picnic group.

Those pictures brought back GREAT memories and hopefully you have a few pitchers left that I can give as Christmas presents to my family

Thanks in advance for your reply even if you do not have them anymore

fkab12@aol.com

Dan

Re: West Point Park by bhaberlenurse at 12/8/09 8:17:31 PM

Hi All...so I found more of those pitchers...check out the pictures posted on 7/30/09. If anybody wants any for $3.00 a piece plus shipping and handling which is about 5.00 for 3 of them, please email me. I live local...thanks, Brenda Haberle bhaberlenurse@comcast.net

Re: West Point Park by Archivesisis at 7/8/10 12:41:29 PM

I went to UPPER GWYNEDD TOWNSHIP ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (1965-66) located at the front of Merck Sharpe and Dohme campus. I went a couple times while living in North Wales, and Penns Woods, Upper Gwynedd. While living there, a car went off of the tracks on the Wildmouse and I believe two people were killed; which has made me scared to death to ride coasters in any shape or form.
My husband took me to Orlando to a number of the amusement theme parks last month and I tried to overcome my fears, but it is deeply rooted evidently.

Re: West Point Park by patti56 at 4/12/11 3:45:32 PM

My great, great, great grandfather began West Point Park after he returned from the Civil War. He owned it until 1940s. It was called Zeiber's Park back then.

Re: West Point Park by DragonLord at 8/3/11 7:47:24 AM

Here is a link to more photos of the old park:

http://www.westpointpa.com/Photos/WPPark.html

Re: West Point Park by bhaberlenurse at 5/3/13 12:07:35 PM
bhaberlenurse said:

I remember going to that park every Friday with my mom and cousins. Funny thing we found a park exactly like it with the same rides called Williams Grove Amusement park. Including water rides, it cost 10 per person all day. After 3 years going there, it closed. I found in my garage a bunch of beer pitchers with West Point Park logo "Where Better Pcnics Go" and they have beer names on the back of them. They are plastic, in good shape and are about a foot tall. Any idea who would want these...I was thinking of Ebay...Thanks for the memories :) Brenda

All out of the pitchers....sorry!

Re: West Point Park by CASPERGURL at 8/31/13 5:44:29 AM
Does anyone know why it closed? I remember, many of day trips to West Point Park. As a kid going there made my day. Seeing the pics, brought back a lot of great memories. The skydiver, salt & pepper shaker, and who could ever forgot the jumper. That was my first roller coaster and it made me want more. As an adult, now I have moved on to crazier coasters but will never forget the jumper. I didn't know they had a place to go to, to talk about old amusement parks or even new ones of today. But I am glad to know there is one for West Point Park. Thanks for sharing your stories with us all.
Re: West Point Park by perryritter at 8/31/13 5:58:42 AM
CASPERGURL said:

Does anyone know why it closed? I remember, many of day trips to West Point Park. As a kid going there made my day. Seeing the pics, brought back a lot of great memories. The skydiver, salt & pepper shaker, and who could ever forgot the jumper. That was my first roller coaster and it made me want more. As an adult, now I have moved on to crazier coasters but will never forget the jumper. I didn't know they had a place to go to, to talk about old amusement parks or even new ones of today. But I am glad to know there is one for West Point Park. Thanks for sharing your stories with us all.

It closed in 1989 due to the pond. The owner did not want to invest the money to keep the pond clean. He sold it to a development company and now it is all houses. Grew up in West Point on 3rd and Jones. Also worked at the park from 1987 to 1989.

Re: West Point Park by CASPERGURL at 8/31/13 6:11:08 AM
Just sad and to cheap. He took a part of us with that decision. Are there other small parks like that anymore or just the big ones we get lost in today? Hey, did you see video of abandon amusement park in Pa, msn.com? Check it out when you can, plus other videos of coasters and latest news updates of safety problems with newer ones.
Re: West Point Park by jlh_l_a at 8/31/13 11:13:13 AM
I thought they closed because they couldnt afford the maintenance of the rides any more and they were going broke ??