Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed

Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed

kingdaexpert

Posted:
8/25/05 at
1:51:45 PM

I would like to inform everyone of the truth behind kingda ka's closure earlier this season- which almost resulted in making the list for NJ's biggest busts of 2005 in NJ Magazine.

A tester who visited the park weekly to test the coaster sent the ride up with 20 dummies which then fell out one by one and reached as far as the Viper construction area. (VCA) Before re-opening the coaster- extensive tests were done with dummies and no dummies fell out. However, there have been several protests outside of Great Adventure with regard to closing this coaster due to rumors of it not being safe.

A staff member of six flags remarked, "Kingda Ka may be closed by the end of the season. And if it is closed again, it will be for good." What a 25 million dollar waste that would be.

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by Pete_C at 8/25/05 2:01:28 PM

I don't believe a word of that.

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 8/25/05 2:43:41 PM

Don't. It's not true in the least. It's been very well documented what Kinda Ka's problems were, with numerous witnesses around at the time of the problems to document and verify what actually happened.

The cover that goes over the cable casing had come up and when the train launched during test sessions (with no dummies on board, btw) caught on that cover destroying it and shredding it, causing major damage to the brake fins that popped up at the first trouble and stopping the launch, and causing damage to the train itself.

All of that has since been repaired, replaced, and extensively tested. Kinda Ka is back open and barring further problems will remain as such.

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by cowboyfan at 8/25/05 4:26:36 PM

> Don't. It's not true in the least. It's been very well
> documented what Kinda Ka's problems were, with numerous
> witnesses around at the time of the problems to document
> and verify what actually happened.

> The cover that goes over the cable casing had come up and
> when the train launched during test sessions (with no
> dummies on board, btw) caught on that cover destroying it
> and shredding it, causing major damage to the brake fins
> that popped up at the first trouble and stopping the
> launch, and causing damage to the train itself.

> All of that has since been repaired, replaced, and
> extensively tested. Kinda Ka is back open and barring
> further problems will remain as such.
>

There is no cable casing on this ride,the cable lays on plastic strips,they look like plastic 2 x fours, there is no way plastic did this much damage,plus why would they spend so much time and money to equaly distribute the weight of the catwalk since it has nothing to do with the cable softner.They will never reveal what caused this ,but i can garuntee it wasnt the plastic.The truth is they rushed the erection of this ride to meet thier press date and in doing so made many ,many poor erection decisions. The biggest mistake they made was not using satelites to shoot thier footing elevations.There are a couple of footings on this ride that are way off.The second mistake they made was not fixing the footings,they chose to slice up KK like it was a birthday cake . So you have crooked footings , crooked columns, and a ride that will run 50 percent of the time.But its there to stay thats for sure,no one in thier right mind would rent the equipment needed to take this ride down, it would be easier to convert it to something that works properly...like a B &M..WHAT A SHAME..

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by Millenium-Fan at 8/25/05 5:02:01 PM

Sir Willow is right this is a well documented event. By the way it would be impossible for the "test dummies" to reach as far as viper. Even going 130 mph. Get the facts straight and stop making roumors. (by the way nice insight willow! :D)

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by Sandy_Nicolaysen at 8/25/05 9:13:51 PM

> I would like to inform everyone of the truth behind kingda
> ka's closure earlier this season- which almost resulted in
> making the list for NJ's biggest busts of 2005 in NJ
> Magazine.

> A tester who visited the park weekly to test the coaster
> sent the ride up with 20 dummies which then fell out one by
> one and reached as far as the Viper construction area.
> (VCA) Before re-opening the coaster- extensive tests were
> done with dummies and no dummies fell out. However, there
> have been several protests outside of Great Adventure with
> regard to closing this coaster due to rumors of it not
> being safe.

> A staff member of six flags remarked, "Kingda Ka may
> be closed by the end of the season. And if it is closed
> again, it will be for good." What a 25 million dollar
> waste that would be.

Ah yes, the dummies again! I remember my kids coming home from school with rumors that the dummies' head, arms, and legs were missing when the train came back to the station.

Of course my kids know that the dummies never had legs arms or head to begin with. Amazing how these urban legends get created.

The only thing GAdv and KK needs to worry about now is what is happening in Oklahoma City. (Stock symbol: PKS)

- Sandy

still lurking after all these years

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by -Phenominal- at 8/25/05 9:54:49 PM

why would they tear it down thats just plain stupid

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by cowboyfan at 8/26/05 5:34:21 PM

> why would they tear it down thats just plain stupid
>

They will never tear it down...its not even a question...noone is that stupid....but hopefully they repair all the damage they did during erection and this ride runs like its suppose to by next year... my geuss is it will...They dont want another fun house incident...so you can bet evry precaution will be made..

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by Steveo at 8/27/05 5:52:33 PM

I have been on both of the rides Top Thrill Dragster and Kinda Ka. I must say that Dragster was much better due to the fact that there is only a seat belt and and a lap restraint which makes you more free to experience the ride and hardly feel the restraint at all. Where as Kinda Ka restrains the @#$% out of you like tuna in a can. So, I do not see NJ closing down a ride that would hold you in ten times more than the Dragster.

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by teacher1010 at 8/28/05 10:16:53 PM

> Magazine.

> being safe.

> waste that would be.

> Ah yes, the dummies again! I remember my kids coming home
> from school with rumors that the dummies' head, arms, and
> legs were missing when the train came back to the station.

> Of course my kids know that the dummies never had legs arms
> or head to begin with. Amazing how these urban legends get
> created.

> The only thing GAdv and KK needs to worry about now is what
> is happening in Oklahoma City. (Stock symbol: PKS)

> - Sandy

> still lurking after all these years

Okay, I have read the various posts regarding KK. As a security guard at GA currently (98-present), I can tell you that: 1) 20 "dummies" did not get ejected. The ride holds a maximum of 18 riders. However, I was there when KK omitted crash test dummies into various parts of the park. Whether it was arms or the dummies themselves, I honestly don't know because I was too far away to say for sure.

2) I am friendly with the general manager of GA and have spoken to him numerous times about KK. At the beginning of the summer (before KK closed for an extended period of time) the mere mention of permanently closing a $35 million ride was preposterous. As it stands at this point, he ("Tim") is entertaining moving the ride to a different location (another Six Flags). The idea being that KK is developing a very poor reputation (for never once actually being run for more than 8 consecutive hours without being closed for time to be spent on "preliminary precautions") and would fair a better chance at "greatness" in a new environment.
> Personally speaking, I like the ride a lot. I have rode it 4 times. But I must say I have many customers each day complain about how inconsistently it is being run and "King Da Ka Fridays" has only actually been true to its name once this summer. Surely, it is the fastest and tallest ride on earth but it also has to go down as the biggest disappointment in 2005.

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by cowboyfan at 8/28/05 11:32:41 PM

> Magazine.

> being safe.

> waste that would be.

> created.

> - Sandy

> Okay, I have read the various posts regarding KK. As a
> security guard at GA currently (98-present), I can tell you
> that: 1) 20 "dummies" did not get ejected. The
> ride holds a maximum of 18 riders. However, I was there
> when KK omitted crash test dummies into various parts of
> the park. Whether it was arms or the dummies themselves, I
> honestly don't know because I was too far away to say for
> sure.

> 2) I am friendly with the general manager of GA and have
> spoken to him numerous times about KK. At the beginning of
> the summer (before KK closed for an extended period of
> time) the mere mention of permanently closing a $35 million
> ride was preposterous. As it stands at this point, he
> ("Tim") is entertaining moving the ride to a
> different location (another Six Flags). The idea being that
> KK is developing a very poor reputation (for never once
> actually being run for more than 8 consecutive hours
> without being closed for time to be spent on
> "preliminary precautions") and would fair a
> better chance at "greatness" in a new
> environment.
> Personally speaking, I like the ride a lot. I have rode it
> 4 times. But I must say I have many customers each day
> complain about how inconsistently it is being run and
> "King Da Ka Fridays" has only actually been true
> to its name once this summer. Surely, it is the fastest and
> tallest ride on earth but it also has to go down as the
> biggest disappointment in 2005.

>

Your a security gaurd? Do you ever work the maintanence gate,if so i probably gave you the Great Adventure wave a million times. The fact that a general manager would even think about moving ,or removing this ride is the reason GA is poorly run,they need to clean house in thier front office or they will be in trouble.The cranes that were used to erect KK cost almost 5 thousand dollars per day..times 2.The final piece,which was not the peak ,but the first track after transfer,is so tight that it will never be removed without destroying it.I would say a minimum of 5 million dollars would be needed to take this ride down,not to mention transporting it ,then re erecting it .Is anyone that stupid? Probably..but GA doesnt have that kind of money,this ride was suppose to be thier million dollar baby,poor attendence has jepordized current ownership ,and this was suppose to be thier saving grace.So much for that.Someone will fix this ride by next year or there will be a change in ownership.They need a new front office.About 10 years ago they had a big meeting with all employees,saying how they were changing direction,they want a family oriented park,not thrill seekers.They said they were downsizing thier coaster themes.That obviously didnt work,now they are adding all kind of coasters and are still not making money.They are trying evrything they can but they just seem lost.They still never recovered from the fire that killed all those people.

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by Shaft_STL Shaft_STL Profile at 8/29/05 12:08:55 AM

> Okay, I have read the various posts regarding KK. As a
> security guard at GA currently (98-present), I can tell you
> that: 1) 20 "dummies" did not get ejected. The
> ride holds a maximum of 18 riders. However, I was there
> when KK omitted crash test dummies into various parts of
> the park. Whether it was arms or the dummies themselves, I
> honestly don't know because I was too far away to say for
> sure.

Can you elaborate on this? Dummies were sent flying? The test dummies don't have arms, so if anything was ejected, it was huge pieces of heavy sand-filled plastic. Second, how did this happen? The only way is if the restraints failed, which I find VERY surprising, and even more suprising that this has never been reported or even mentioned on this board...

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by vinnyv07 at 8/29/05 6:21:07 AM

> I have been on both of the rides Top Thrill Dragster and
> Kinda Ka. I must say that Dragster was much better due to
> the fact that there is only a seat belt and and a lap
> restraint which makes you more free to experience the ride
> and hardly feel the restraint at all. Where as Kinda Ka
> restrains the @#$% out of you like tuna in a can. So, I do
> not see NJ closing down a ride that would hold you in ten
> times more than the Dragster.

I agree with that...the over the lap bar is what makes dragster better in my eyes.

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by chillforce chillforce Profile at 8/29/05 8:56:32 AM

Can you elaborate on this? Dummies were sent flying? The
> test dummies don't have arms, so if anything was ejected,
> it was huge pieces of heavy sand-filled plastic.

Test dummies are plastic water filled bottles that were formed to look and act like a human torso, no heads, legs or arms. I find the fact that anything was ejected without having anyone reliable report it to be doubtful, I find the ride being allowed to be opened by the state after such a situation to be dubious.

Ed

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by Raven_Rider at 8/29/05 9:25:49 AM

> waste that would be.

Maybe this will restart Six Flags old "ride rotation program". They could move Kingda Ka to a new park every couple of years where it will fail to operate reliably before being moved again.

Have Fun

Paul Drabek

http://www.negative-g.com

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by Shaft_STL Shaft_STL Profile at 8/29/05 10:48:22 AM

> Test dummies are plastic water filled bottles that were
> formed to look and act like a human torso, no heads, legs
> or arms. I find the fact that anything was ejected without
> having anyone reliable report it to be doubtful, I find the
> ride being allowed to be opened by the state after such a
> situation to be dubious.

Exactly my point. How on earth could something like escape from the ride restraints, especially when the major forces of the ride are in the form of positive G's? Doesn't make sense at all, and if ANYTHING of that size/weight had been thrown from the ride, we would have all heard about it.

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by Millenium-Fan at 8/29/05 5:08:17 PM

Even with no restraints the "dummies" would not fly that far. Leave it to physics. They never lie.

thrillseeker.com

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by Chickenhawk at 8/29/05 8:09:51 PM

This post just had to get me from hibernation. From what I have heard backstage:

Restraints never popped open nor did water dummies ever fly out or break apart in any testing.
The major disruption early summer was a freak accident and all Intamin Rockets were shutdown during the investigation. Sir Willow's version is close.
There was no major tolerance errors in footing and track construction, as were rumored last spring.
The pesky disruptions that cause the present shutdowns are NOT safety problems. I would not hesitate to ride. The ride would not be open at all if that were the case--give us some credit for being responsible for people's lives.
Lastly, there are no plans to sell, move or rotate Kingda Ka. BTW the GM is Rick, not Tim. -EK-

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by cowboyfan at 8/29/05 9:21:19 PM

> This post just had to get me from hibernation. From what I
> have heard backstage:

> Restraints never popped open nor did water dummies ever fly
> out or break apart in any testing.
> The major disruption early summer was a freak accident and
> all Intamin Rockets were shutdown during the investigation.
> Sir Willow's version is close.
> There was no major tolerance errors in footing and track
> construction, as were rumored last spring.
> The pesky disruptions that cause the present shutdowns are
> NOT safety problems. I would not hesitate to ride. The ride
> would not be open at all if that were the case--give us
> some credit for being responsible for people's lives.
> Lastly, there are no plans to sell, move or rotate Kingda
> Ka. BTW the GM is Rick, not Tim. -EK-

I dont know what you mean by tolerence but you can bet your house that many footings are in the wrong place. Thats why they sliced the cloumn to track connections ,untill they did this evry column on the launch side was at least 8 inches out of plumb.Thats why ,if you look at these connections they are not flush with each other,they are actualy off set.This wouldnt be a problem except for the fact that these holes were already 4 times bigger then the bolt.They put too much play in this ride,in my opinion.Did you catch the biulding of this ride on mega structures? Im the guy with the brown hard hat signaling the crane for all the picks.

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by Shaft_STL Shaft_STL Profile at 8/29/05 10:22:07 PM

> Thats why
> they sliced the cloumn to track connections ,untill they
> did this evry column on the launch side was at least 8
> inches out of plumb.Thats why ,if you look at these
> connections they are not flush with each other,they are
> actualy off set.

This amazes me. In a world of such precise and accurate engineering, how does this happen? Who's fault is it? The technical side of building coasters is absolutely astonishing when you take into account elevation changes and topography...but KK is nearly flat if I'm not mistaken.

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by cowboyfan at 8/30/05 3:39:31 PM

> Thats why
> they sliced the cloumn to track connections ,untill they
> did this evry column on the launch side was at least 8
> inches out of plumb.Thats why ,if you look at these
> connections they are not flush with each other,they are
> actualy off set.

> This amazes me. In a world of such precise and accurate
> engineering, how does this happen? Who's fault is it? The
> technical side of building coasters is absolutely
> astonishing when you take into account elevation changes
> and topography...but KK is nearly flat if I'm not mistaken.

Your right,this ride was suppose to be very simple to erect.I thought Superman was harder because of all the angles on the elements.They had alot of pressure on KK because the whole thing was filmed by National Geographic and they had a press date to meet.So they realy rushed this one.

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by Shaft_STL Shaft_STL Profile at 8/30/05 3:47:02 PM

To me, it's even more amazing thinking about the extensive footings needed for wooden coasters. Think about rides like Thunderhead and Boulder Dash: coasters that feature extremely rough and undulating terrian beneath it. Crazy stuff.

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by cowboyfan at 8/30/05 5:34:23 PM

> To me, it's even more amazing thinking about the extensive
> footings needed for wooden coasters. Think about rides like
> Thunderhead and Boulder Dash: coasters that feature
> extremely rough and undulating terrian beneath it. Crazy
> stuff.

Yes well GA used thier own construction company to pour the footings so they are to blame.Thats why they chose to work around it because there was noone to back charge.There is a method used now that acualy uses satelites to shoot footing marks,that would have been the way to go.Im biulding a science library right now at Princeton University that used this method,and it makes me laugh that someone would use this method on a library and GA chose not to on the largest coaster on earth..go figure.

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by Shaft_STL Shaft_STL Profile at 8/30/05 7:34:06 PM

I thought that the satellite technology was in the field. You'd think the most advanced techniques would have been used on such a major erection. Dumb not to, but we didn't write the checks, I suppose.

Princeton has quite a campus. I played hockey against them for the past four years, and we were always impressed with the architecture and history associated with it.

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 8/30/05 7:56:35 PM

Honestly, I don't know who to believe on that. Cowboyfan is the only one I've ever seen or heard reporting anything close to what he's saying. It would just seem like if that was true, then there would be some sort of confirmation from some other sort somewhere. But I haven't seen anything else out there.

It also seems to me, in my unexpert opinion, that if it was true, it would make the ride unsafe to operate. But there's no way the park is going to operate something like that if it's not safe. The liability issues just far outweigh any profit motives there.

So I'm wondering what the truth really is on that one.

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by cowboyfan at 8/30/05 10:07:56 PM

> Honestly, I don't know who to believe on that. Cowboyfan is
> the only one I've ever seen or heard reporting anything
> close to what he's saying. It would just seem like if that
> was true, then there would be some sort of confirmation
> from some other sort somewhere. But I haven't seen anything
> else out there.

> It also seems to me, in my unexpert opinion, that if it was
> true, it would make the ride unsafe to operate. But there's
> no way the park is going to operate something like that if
> it's not safe. The liability issues just far outweigh any
> profit motives there.

> So I'm wondering what the truth really is on that one.

The proof is in the puding,all you have to do is look at the columns on the launch side,take a look at the round connections ,then look at evry other column on the ride,the diffrence you will see is the other columns are flush at the connections,on the launch side they are off set a few inches,as well as having huge slots that were cut in the field.If the footings were right there should be no field adjustment on this ride,its unheard of.I geuss the state inspectors dont see this as a problem,and im not saying its a problem,but it was definately a big mistake.Along with KK i helped erect Superman , Chiller,Nitro, and the black batman..whatever its called ,and none of this was ever a issue,to take a torch to a element is something thats just not done,just the heat alone can damage the track.I dont want to scare anyone because GA would lose more money if somethig happened then if they shut it down so im sure its safe,but it didnt surprise me that they had a problem on the launch.

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by cowboyfan at 8/30/05 10:31:40 PM

>

>
>

> The proof is in the puding,all you have to do is look at
> the columns on the launch side,take a look at the round
> connections ,then look at evry other column on the ride,the
> diffrence you will see is the other columns are flush at
> the connections,on the launch side they are off set a few
> inches,as well as having huge slots that were cut in the
> field.If the footings were right there should be no field
> adjustment on this ride,its unheard of.I geuss the state
> inspectors dont see this as a problem,and im not saying its
> a problem,but it was definately a big mistake.Along with KK
> i helped erect Superman , Chiller,Nitro, and the black
> batman..whatever its called ,and none of this was ever a
> issue,to take a torch to a element is something thats just
> not done,just the heat alone can damage the track.I dont
> want to scare anyone because GA would lose more money if
> somethig happened then if they shut it down so im sure its
> safe,but it didnt surprise me that they had a problem on
> the launch.

One more thing ,if you ever saw a ride being erected you will notice that sometimes the bolts dont go in very easy,on a normal steel biulding you would slot the holes with a torch,but on a coaster the inspecters force you to use what they call drift pins,and they must be stainless steel,they are tapered at both ends and fat in the middle.You drive these pins in one hole at a time ,sticking a bolt after each one,its very time cunsuming,but they dont want any heat on the elements..ever..even on KK ,untill we did the launch .This was a first for me as well as some guys who have been doing it for 30 years,I still cant believe they did that,so i understand if you find it hard to believe,but its the Gods honest truth,the reason you never heard it is because im the only person you know who worked on the ride.I dont think the park would reveal this information,...but i wonder if they can legaly deny it???

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by pauppy at 9/2/05 2:15:51 PM

thats untrue.

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by cowboyfan at 9/2/05 7:11:43 PM

> thats untrue.

what is untrue?..nothing i wrote,not by a long shot

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by orangeliquid11 at 9/5/05 6:25:21 PM

> Magazine.

> being safe.

> waste that would be.

I'm leaving messages all over this board reagrding Kingda Ka. I was disappointed with my ride on 8/29/05. Whatever the reason for the closure, the original, Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point in Ohio is the original and 10 times better than KK. KK feels raggedy, feels 10 years old, like it needs to be lubricated, it feels like junk. I said in a another message before seeing this one, if it was to be disassembled, I wouldn't be upset. I rode Dragster two years ago, so I'm sure it feels different, but experience Dragster then compare it to KK.

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by Rollerdude at 9/17/05 1:39:02 PM

Thats bull...i went on that ride and it was da bomb i sat in the very back and loved it so dont say nothing bad about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that dummie thing is so fake you guys go on that ride scream your guts out and love it

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by Rollerdude at 9/17/05 1:39:39 PM

dont its so fake!

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by brenlen13 at 9/22/05 3:22:25 PM

dont believe any of you guys
all of you are making out that yous know everything bout it
the only people that know wot went on would be maintenance,the people who own the ride and the state
all b@llsh#t!!!you all just want to make a name for yourselfs
i work in the park and have heard so many stories,all lies all of it,it dont really matter now,the state passed it safe and it is up to you if you want to go on it or not.
it dont matter how much you spend on building or how much time you spend,there is always going to be faults,we are all only human and no-one in this world is perfect

thats my two cent added
but at least mine is the truth

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by PCW_SkyRider PCW_SkyRider Profile at 9/22/05 3:27:42 PM

^While that would be reasonable for you to say, you forgot that there were also many witnesses who were guests and saw what happened. So it's not just maintenance, the state and whatever who know.

..for a real Suspended coaster

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by brenlen13 at 9/22/05 3:30:24 PM

but how many of those eye witnesses,lets say kind of half turn the truth into somthing they wanted to see happen like the flying dummies.....

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by PCW_SkyRider PCW_SkyRider Profile at 9/22/05 7:06:11 PM

> but how many of those eye witnesses,lets say kind of half
> turn the truth into somthing they wanted to see happen like
> the flying dummies.....
>

I believe there are a few URCers who witnessed it, or not. I think I heard someone say that. Plus, the day after the accident, there was a report posted here by Paul Ruban telling the exact same story as most people recall (not the dummies, the metal parts ripping etc.)

..for a real Suspended coaster

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by Shaft_STL Shaft_STL Profile at 9/22/05 7:52:02 PM

The incident that occured earlier in the summer involved the ride coming to a halt on the launching track, and it occured with no one - or thing - onboard. Dummies have never flown from the ride, bottom line. Enough of the nonsense.

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by CoasterLover CoasterLover Profile at 9/22/05 9:23:04 PM

As for the part about the dummies not having arms, or heads or legs... well, that isn't EXACTLY true. The dummies they have for Kingda Ka have both heads and legs as seen in this picture, not saying that they actually came off:

User Submitted Picture

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 9/23/05 12:19:53 PM

^ Your picture link wasn't working here. But taking a guess as to what it was, you really shouldn't be calling the people riding the coasters dummies. :P

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by Doms_slave_girl at 9/23/05 1:44:52 PM

> dont believe any of you guys
> all of you are making out that yous know everything bout it
> the only people that know wot went on would be
> maintenance,the people who own the ride and the state
> all b@llsh#t!!!you all just want to make a name for
> yourselfs
> i work in the park and have heard so many stories,all lies
> all of it,it dont really matter now,the state passed it
> safe and it is up to you if you want to go on it or not.
> it dont matter how much you spend on building or how much
> time you spend,there is always going to be faults,we are
> all only human and no-one in this world is perfect

> thats my two cent added
> but at least mine is the truth
>

Do you actually know how to capitalize the beginning of a sentence and use punctuation correctly. That so hurt my eyes. Lucky you work in the park. Because in the real world, people won't tolerate typed things like you just wrote. My two cents.

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by Shaft_STL Shaft_STL Profile at 9/23/05 3:33:27 PM

> Do you actually know how to capitalize the beginning of a
> sentence and use punctuation correctly. That so hurt my
> eyes. Lucky you work in the park. Because in the real
> world, people won't tolerate typed things like you just
> wrote. My two cents.

Corrected:

"Do you actually know how to use proper punctuation by capitalizing the beginning of a sentence? My eyes hurt from reading your post. You're lucky that you work in the park, because in the real world, people won't tolerate typed documents like you just wrote."

I couldn't help myself.

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by cowboyfan at 9/26/05 7:35:53 AM

> dont believe any of you guys
> all of you are making out that yous know everything bout it
> the only people that know wot went on would be
> maintenance,the people who own the ride and the state
> all b@llsh#t!!!you all just want to make a name for
> yourselfs
> i work in the park and have heard so many stories,all lies
> all of it,it dont really matter now,the state passed it
> safe and it is up to you if you want to go on it or not.
> it dont matter how much you spend on building or how much
> time you spend,there is always going to be faults,we are
> all only human and no-one in this world is perfect

> thats my two cent added
> but at least mine is the truth
>

If you work in the park maybe you can inspect columns 7 through 16 on the launch side,i wouldnt bring a camera near there but you will see what im talking about,you have to look from nuderneath the track,look at the holes that the bolts are in,you will see that they have been sloted to conform with track position.I know nothing about the dummies coming out,i find it very hard to believe,its something i think would have made it on the news.It would have been caught on video by somebody.I know the four ironworkers who work at the park full time on maintenence and they never included that in thier GA stories.

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by Inotheshadow at 12/3/05 7:27:15 PM

The downtime on the Kingdaka this summer was caused during a launch. There was a computer glitch or a hydraulic problem. The launch was initiated, in other words the pick up car or catch car engaged with the train - the launch started and progressed down the launch area. At around 124 mph the pick up car goes into a series of slow down stop brakes to deaccellerate. The train leaves the catch car and goes up the tower. NOW COMES the problem. The pick up car does NOT deaccellerate. It goes out the end of the trough its in at full speed. So fast it smashes through the stops at the end (this thing weighs maybe 4 or 5 tons) and finally end up through the stops and lodges itself up on top of the track ON TOP of the track cross braces. PROBLEM # 2 - the train does not make the top of the tower - it coasts to a stop and starts coming backwards it now comes backward OVER top of the pickup car lodged on top of the track - GUESS what - whole new train.
> Magazine.

> being safe.

> waste that would be.

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by Coasterdude02149 at 12/5/05 3:18:32 PM

Like someone else said, I'm so glad this problematic ride is getting so much attention when the Batman side of Chiller is SCREAMING for attention and it is left year after year after year to wallow in neglect.

If the ONE good thing that comes out of this take over and eventual sale of 6 Flags is that no more of these ridiculous rides gets built and some capital gets invented into neglected rides that have stood for years with no attention paid to them, then fine...I hope Synder does what is necessary.

All I want is to see the Batman side of Cilller runing IN CONCERT with Robin...I'll be happy....If that is the only result of of Snyder's take over and the end of thrill rides being built at record pace then I tip may hat to him.

I WANT BOTH SIDES OF CHILLER RUNNING AS IT SHOULD HAVE! I'll say nothing of this new woodie in regards to the TLD Rolling Thunder so desperately needs. User Submitted Picture

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by PCWfreak13 at 12/7/05 3:38:50 PM

Kingda Ka sucks! It's the worst coaster ive been on... while the dragster rocked! I love the dragster
WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY KINGDA KA IS! It pisses me off how they only made this coaster to defeat down the best! I also hate how on the commercials they said it shatters world records, when its only 8 more mph speed and 20 more feet of drop!
Kingda Ka = GAY

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by Shaft_STL Shaft_STL Profile at 12/7/05 6:03:42 PM

Did you find passing 7th grade easier by tossing around homophobic lines like that?

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by PCW_SkyRider PCW_SkyRider Profile at 12/7/05 7:53:13 PM

> Kingda Ka sucks! It's the worst coaster ive been on...
> while the dragster rocked! I love the dragster
> WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY KINGDA KA IS! It pisses me off how
> they only made this coaster to defeat down the best! I also
> hate how on the commercials they said it shatters world
> records, when its only 8 more mph speed and 20 more feet of
> drop!
> Kingda Ka = GAY
>

So you claim to have ridden the two tallest coasters in the world, yet you are intimidated by the loops on the smallest coasters...

Something is not right here.

Thrills R Us

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 12/8/05 10:17:10 AM

> Did you find passing 7th grade easier by tossing around
> homophobic lines like that?

Who says he passed? ;)

Honestly though, I'm a bit surprised that this thread somehow keeps coming back. Thought it had been discussed to death. Guess not.

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by JCxHC4life JCxHC4life Profile at 12/8/05 12:46:39 PM

This discussion is getting very old. Honestly I belive roller coasters shouldn't be about speed and height, but should really be about a fun time, and a way to enjoy yourself after a long week of hard work. Rides were originally built as a way to have fun. The way you people argue over which ride is really better, and stuff like that really annoys me. I enjoy roller coasters for their uniqueness. My favorite rides are simple rides that weren't build to break records, but to allow people to have fun. You people ruin the spirit of the ride when you go into stupid arguments like this.

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by pcwobssesed0 at 12/8/05 5:15:04 PM

I agree with you're coaster theory, but I hate that kid, and, I'm bisexual and take offense to his homophobia... Thanks kid... thanks alot...

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by Coasterdude02149 at 12/10/05 2:45:33 PM

Where's the homophobia? I'm gay and don't take offence to any of his post....he said Kingda Ka is gay...how is that homophobic? User Submitted Picture

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by 10isfreak 10isfreak Profile at 1/2/06 8:09:56 PM

umm i dont really wanna piss anyone off or make enemies, and im not saying i dont believe you, but it seems to me like there's a lot of people here who "work" at GA. all i can do is take your word for it, but wouldn't it be easy for me to have started this off by saying i worked there too? i've been there a few times, as well as ridden the KK. while it's not too bad, the restraints do take away from the ride. if you're not someone, dont claim to be them. if you dont work there, dont say you do. your argument is just as valid without lying about your credibility

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by ttdragster at 1/31/06 3:03:16 AM

Wow, such fighting over a copy of a record breaking thrill ride. I haven't been to see KK, but I have been on TTD and it has had it disappointments as well. It's inagural season it was shut down from June til about late August as they tore apart the entire lauch area and looked to rewire the launch brakeing system. I was present one day when they had the cable shred on launch causing passengers injury, they immediately shut the ride down. So it doesn't surprise me that KK had a similiar cable problem. I think the main problem is the drag this ride creates on launch, it similates the launch of fighter jets off an aircraft carrier, is really heats up the launch cable and causes alot of problems. CP has added an oiler near the engine room to help with this problem, but now their engine room and track near this are really black. CP's current status for TTD is that it will be in operation on a more frequent basis this comming season '06. We will all have to wait and see about that. As a frequent visitor to CP my suggestion is that if you are going to just ride TTD then either go early or late in the season, it seems to run full time during this period.

Have fun
GO DRAGSTER!!

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 1/31/06 9:35:37 AM

I'll be honest, I was excited about both TTDumpster and Kingda Kaka, but after seeing TTD down opening season when I was there, and this past year while at Halloweekends, it infuriates me more, as that's the only cred I need, but that's not the point, they could have built a version a bit bigger than Xcelerator and had some elements to it.
As for KK, it's pretty much a one trick pony with a camelback, and it's sole purpose was to break a bloody record. I do want to go to GrAdv, but not for KK. BTW, I agree with Doms and Sir Willow about proper grammar.

Tim.

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 2/2/06 10:10:27 PM

I'll say this...I'm a big guy and I couldn't fit into the restraint device on TTD on my June '05 CP visit(or MF, which I have been on before..they musta changed the belts..I didn't gain THAT much weight in the three years since I last rode!)..anyhoo, when I rode KK for the 1st time in October, I fit perfectly, was very comfortable, and felt barely constricted...

Mike

> I have been on both of the rides Top Thrill Dragster and
> Kinda Ka. I must say that Dragster was much better due to
> the fact that there is only a seat belt and and a lap
> restraint which makes you more free to experience the ride
> and hardly feel the restraint at all. Where as Kinda Ka
> restrains the @#$% out of you like tuna in a can. So, I do
> not see NJ closing down a ride that would hold you in ten
> times more than the Dragster.

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by coastercrazy101 at 2/3/06 7:07:11 PM

I dont' believe that they would tear it down. If they built a huge rollercoaster like that, they wouldn't just tear it down. they wuld do everything they could to fix it.
i've been on dragster at CPP and from what i hear about kingda ka haveing like shoulder restraints, that must suck. it is fun on dragster to be just held on by a lap bar. that is what makes it thrilling and exciting and you feel more free to enjoy the ride!!

if any of you want reviews about coasters at cedar point park, just email me at VFcoasterluver@aol.com. i would be glad to give you my insights!

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by JoeRiggs at 2/5/06 9:25:50 PM

Hey everyone! National Geographic channel is having an entire program on Kingda Ka, should be cool for next week. I found it on REMOVED

> I dont' believe that they would tear it down. If they built
> a huge rollercoaster like that, they wouldn't just tear it
> down. they wuld do everything they could to fix it.
> i've been on dragster at CPP and from what i hear about
> kingda ka haveing like shoulder restraints, that must suck.
> it is fun on dragster to be just held on by a lap bar. that
> is what makes it thrilling and exciting and you feel more
> free to enjoy the ride!!

> if any of you want reviews about coasters at cedar point
> park, just email me at VFcoasterluver@aol.com . i would be
> glad to give you my insights!

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by kelllyyyyyx0 at 7/2/07 7:28:56 PM

You dont know kingda ka till you ride it.
I have rode this ride a number of times.
I always felt safe & still got the excitement i wanted.
Problems occur on every ride like nitro. Its a ride nothin going to happen.

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by Mikey_Mad Mikey_Mad Profile at 7/3/07 12:29:31 AM

>So, can Top Thrill Dragster lay claim to a worlds record for the tallest fastest consistantly working coaster?

Mikey Mad

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by sportibabe06 at 3/29/10 6:58:52 PM

okay everyone needs to shut up cause every roller coaster has complications when it first starts and they fixed them all and kingda ka is the most amazing thrilling experience i've ever had in my life, its amazing, if you people ever get a chance, do it, its scray as heel but its soo worth it to be able to say you rode the biggest fastest tallest roller coaster in the world!!!

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by sportibabe06 at 3/29/10 7:00:05 PM

no, i just rode kingda ka last saturday, its the record breaking coaster and its amazing.

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by sportibabe06 at 3/29/10 7:06:46 PM

i agree completly with you, its amazing

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by intaminengineer01 at 7/21/14 1:55:39 PM
teacher1010 said:

> Magazine.

> being safe.

> waste that would be.

> created.

> - Sandy

Okay, I have read the various posts regarding KK. As a security guard at GA currently (98-present), I can tell you that: 1) 20 "dummies" did not get ejected. The ride holds a maximum of 18 riders. However, I was there when KK omitted crash test dummies into various parts of the park. Whether it was arms or the dummies themselves, I honestly don't know because I was too far away to say for sure.

2) I am friendly with the general manager of GA and have spoken to him numerous times about KK. At the beginning of the summer (before KK closed for an extended period of time) the mere mention of permanently closing a $35 million ride was preposterous. As it stands at this point, he ("Tim") is entertaining moving the ride to a different location (another Six Flags). The idea being that KK is developing a very poor reputation (for never once actually being run for more than 8 consecutive hours without being closed for time to be spent on "preliminary precautions") and would fair a better chance at "greatness" in a new environment.
> Personally speaking, I like the ride a lot. I have rode it 4 times. But I must say I have many customers each day complain about how inconsistently it is being run and "King Da Ka Fridays" has only actually been true to its name once this summer. Surely, it is the fastest and tallest ride on earth but it also has to go down as the biggest disappointment in 2005.

First off kingda ka test dummies do not have arms. They also have not fell off the ride at all.
Second it is a prototype, the first of its kind using the technology we put in it. Never before has this been done on this scale, its expected to have issues.

Re: Kingda Ka Secrets Revealed by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 7/21/14 2:07:50 PM
intaminengineer01 said:

teacher1010 said:

> Magazine.

> being safe.

> waste that would be.

> created.

> - Sandy

First off kingda ka test dummies do not have arms. They also have not fell off the ride at all.
Second it is a prototype, the first of its kind using the technology we put in it. Never before has this been done on this scale, its expected to have issues.

This thread is only what...9 years old? Just have to laugh at this, haha.

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv