Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities

Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities

chaosluvr

Posted:
6/18/05 at
3:40:57 PM

I have been searching for information on deaths occuring at paramount's Kings Island, and I have found MANY different stories, which majority of them are Urban Legends. If anyone finds any stories on deaths occuring at Kings Island please post. I know for fact that a woman had a heart attack on Top Gun and that on June 9, 1991 (Black Sunday) two men were electrocuted after jumping in to save a third man and an intoxicated woman died from the Flight Commander on the same day, so if you know any other stories please post.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 6/18/05 10:49:41 PM

www.rideaccidents.com

Best source for ride-related deaths that have occured at amusement parks, along with some others. However, "natural" occuring deaths are going to be very hard to find info on as they are often not reported since the only thing the park has to do with it is location.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by RobLec RobLec Profile at 6/22/05 5:33:41 PM

A guest fell from the now closed 130' platform of the Eiffel Tower sometime in the seventies I believe. And a construction worker (not a guest) fell to his death during construction of FOF.

> I have been searching for information on deaths occuring at
> paramount's Kings Island, and I have found MANY different
> stories, which majority of them are Urban Legends. If
> anyone finds any stories on deaths occuring at Kings Island
> please post. I know for fact that a woman had a heart
> attack on Top Gun and that on June 9, 1991 (Black Sunday)
> two men were electrocuted after jumping in to save a third
> man and an intoxicated woman died from the Flight Commander
> on the same day, so if you know any other stories please
> post.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by pcwfreak pcwfreak Profile at 6/22/05 6:08:58 PM

Yup, I've heard of that story. The guys suppose to be a ghost or something of the tower.

Thrill To Go

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by Timber-Rider at 6/23/05 5:21:25 PM

I remember the accident on the flight commander at Kings Island.
in 1991, because I was there a couple days after it happened.
I do not recall anyone being intoxicated. I was told by park staff that she was thrown from the ride because the saftey harness in her car(seat) failed, and I believe a door on the car opened, and she fell 90 feet to the ground.

I remember this well, because I was looking forward to riding it!
I remember walking past the ride, and seeing a sign that said this ride will remain closed for the rest of the season. It was removed the following season.

I would think that if the woman was intoxicated, the park would not have removed the ride. It was obviously not very safe.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by Catfish at 6/23/05 8:40:44 PM

> post.

Flight Commander did reopen a couple of seasons after the accident. I rode it in 1994. It was a fun ride. You could control a lot of what kind of ride you had. But obviously it couldn't escape the notority and removed soon after.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by coastingthrulife at 6/24/05 12:45:25 AM

What type of ride was Flight Commander?

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by buckeye_brad at 6/24/05 8:03:12 AM

This is my best recollection of the investigation results as reported in the local papers… I apologize for any innaccuracies.

She was riding in the 2 person pod alone. Her harness was down, but the harness for the seat next to her was not down (ride operator oversight?) The seat bottoms were flat, not "bucket shaped" and no seat dividers. A shoulder harness is great for negative forces but not for laterals. So when the pod rolled, there was nothing to keep her from sliding into the other seat. The pod continued to roll and then tragedy occurred.
I think it was ultimately considered to be a “design flaw” by the manufacturer, not really a mechanical failure.

They added seat dividers the next year, and the few times I rode the lines were always short.

-Brad

> I remember the accident on the flight commander at Kings
> Island.
> in 1991, because I was there a couple days after it
> happened.
> I do not recall anyone being intoxicated. I was told by
> park staff that she was thrown from the ride because the
> saftey harness in her car(seat) failed, and I believe a
> door on the car opened, and she fell 90 feet to the ground.

> I remember this well, because I was looking forward to
> riding it!
> I remember walking past the ride, and seeing a sign that
> said this ride will remain closed for the rest of the
> season. It was removed the following season.

> I would think that if the woman was intoxicated, the park
> would not have removed the ride. It was obviously not very
> safe.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by RobLec RobLec Profile at 6/24/05 7:12:23 PM

> What type of ride was Flight Commander?

First off, yes she was intoxicated.

The ride sat across from Vortex. It consisted of a large vertical column or drum which rotated and was slowly raised up from the platform when operating, something like the nearby Zephyr or flying swings.

Around the top of the column were a number of hydraulic arms which could be raised and lowered (think Monster with a dozen arms). At the end of each arm was a two-seat passenger pod, something like what's called the egg ride popular at traveling carnivals.

Each pod had a joystick between the two seats which controlled the raising and lowering of the arm and the rotating (or "roll") of the passenger pod.

The great thing about the ride was that the passengers could control their own ride experience.

The abandoned site was to have been the original location for Drop Zone, before the Action Zone was conceived. It has in recent years been the site of the EuroBungee or bungee/tramploine upcharge attraction.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by deeturner at 6/24/05 10:27:49 PM

I actually have Flight Commander Video footage from 1994. I was in the cockpit with my brother in-law and was filming us as he controlled our car(spaceship). Yes, I know this was a very stupid thing to do, but at that time in my life I was a very stupid person :)
Also I think I have footage of the ride from the ground, and other PKI rides from 1994.
But anyhoo, if you want to see the footage I might be able to retrieve it. It is on a compact VHS tape and I will see if I can transfer it or maybe I can try and get some still pics from it. I will post a link if I can.

Dee

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by MedusaFan at 6/25/05 3:12:08 PM

Would love to see this! Hope you can get a link with some footage. I've only done Beast, SO Beast, Flight of Fear (back when it was Outer limits) and some of the other coasters.

Kat

> post.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by deeturner at 6/25/05 10:58:44 PM

okay dokay, I managed to get a couple of still shots from my 1994 footage. Its not very good quality, being as its from a compact VHS tape that is 11yrs old, HA HA...
Hopefully this link will work to the pic, I will post all 4 of them in consecutive posts, hopefully....

This one is Flight Commander from the ground

DEE User Submitted Picture

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by deeturner at 6/25/05 11:00:06 PM

This one is from the loading platform looking at the cars... User Submitted Picture

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by deeturner at 6/25/05 11:01:26 PM

This one is from the, um.....cockpit while flying, um....I told you I was very stupid at this point in my life....LOL User Submitted Picture

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by deeturner at 6/25/05 11:02:31 PM

I did manage to swipe a still of the Witches Wheel also... User Submitted Picture

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by deeturner at 6/25/05 11:12:54 PM

Also on the footage I have lots of other cool stuff from 1994. Like for instance, I have The Beast, Racer, Days of Thunder(before Spongebob), Vortex(with a line all the way back to the 50's Cafe, LOL), Waterworks(with a nice shot of the Nestea Plunge slide), the train, and various other footage that I cant all recall right off hand.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Some of this is onboard footage. This is a very controversial subject, and this was a time in my life when I would do stupid things, so if anyone is offended by onboard footage I will cease from posting it.
----------------------------------------------------------------

I will try and get some more stills of that footage if anyone is interested. Please let me know.

Dee

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by Link Link Profile at 6/25/05 11:47:36 PM

> post.

I think I only rode Flight Commander ONCE before it was junked.

Wasn't all that thrilling to me.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by CraneGirl at 8/2/05 11:21:10 AM

First, No One has EVER died on Top Gun!

Second, the lady that died on Flight Commander was indeed drunk and she was trying to wave to friends in the car behind her, slipped her arm through the safety harness at the same time she flipped the pod over, causing her to shift out of the seat. The ride was removed due to the fact that the old harness gaps were too large and smaller framed people could easy slid between them (on purpose of course, never could they just slip through without help from stupidity).

Third, Only ONE man was electrocuted, he was park maintenance, and they were replacing lights in a "light pond" when the other maintenance man thought he was out and turned the power back on.

I worked there from the time I was 16 through college, and that was MANY a year ago! I was visiting the park on the day of the Flight Commander and pond deaths.

> post.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by Maestro Maestro Profile at 8/2/05 1:59:57 PM

There was indeed a fatality on Top Gun, but it was not related to the ride itself. The individual in question died of natural causes from a pre-existing medical condition that was previously unknown to the rider.

Secondly, Flight Commander did re-open for a couple of seasons after the fatality. The restraints were slightly modified to better secure the riders. It was eventually removed due to low-ridership after the 1995 season (I believe - correct me if I'm wrong).

Finally, there were 2 fatalities related to the pond. One was a park guest, and the second was a security guard who jumped in to save the first individual. There is a plaque honoring the employee (and a conference room named after him) in the security building.

Hope that clears things up!

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by Barbaramx at 8/2/05 2:21:51 PM

> two men were el