Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities

Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities

chaosluvr

Posted:
6/18/05 at
3:40:57 PM

I have been searching for information on deaths occuring at paramount's Kings Island, and I have found MANY different stories, which majority of them are Urban Legends. If anyone finds any stories on deaths occuring at Kings Island please post. I know for fact that a woman had a heart attack on Top Gun and that on June 9, 1991 (Black Sunday) two men were electrocuted after jumping in to save a third man and an intoxicated woman died from the Flight Commander on the same day, so if you know any other stories please post.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 6/18/05 10:49:41 PM

www.rideaccidents.com

Best source for ride-related deaths that have occured at amusement parks, along with some others. However, "natural" occuring deaths are going to be very hard to find info on as they are often not reported since the only thing the park has to do with it is location.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by RobLec RobLec Profile at 6/22/05 5:33:41 PM

A guest fell from the now closed 130' platform of the Eiffel Tower sometime in the seventies I believe. And a construction worker (not a guest) fell to his death during construction of FOF.

> I have been searching for information on deaths occuring at
> paramount's Kings Island, and I have found MANY different
> stories, which majority of them are Urban Legends. If
> anyone finds any stories on deaths occuring at Kings Island
> please post. I know for fact that a woman had a heart
> attack on Top Gun and that on June 9, 1991 (Black Sunday)
> two men were electrocuted after jumping in to save a third
> man and an intoxicated woman died from the Flight Commander
> on the same day, so if you know any other stories please
> post.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by pcwfreak pcwfreak Profile at 6/22/05 6:08:58 PM

Yup, I've heard of that story. The guys suppose to be a ghost or something of the tower.

Thrill To Go

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by Timber-Rider at 6/23/05 5:21:25 PM

I remember the accident on the flight commander at Kings Island.
in 1991, because I was there a couple days after it happened.
I do not recall anyone being intoxicated. I was told by park staff that she was thrown from the ride because the saftey harness in her car(seat) failed, and I believe a door on the car opened, and she fell 90 feet to the ground.

I remember this well, because I was looking forward to riding it!
I remember walking past the ride, and seeing a sign that said this ride will remain closed for the rest of the season. It was removed the following season.

I would think that if the woman was intoxicated, the park would not have removed the ride. It was obviously not very safe.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by Catfish at 6/23/05 8:40:44 PM

> post.

Flight Commander did reopen a couple of seasons after the accident. I rode it in 1994. It was a fun ride. You could control a lot of what kind of ride you had. But obviously it couldn't escape the notority and removed soon after.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by coastingthrulife at 6/24/05 12:45:25 AM

What type of ride was Flight Commander?

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by buckeye_brad at 6/24/05 8:03:12 AM

This is my best recollection of the investigation results as reported in the local papers… I apologize for any innaccuracies.

She was riding in the 2 person pod alone. Her harness was down, but the harness for the seat next to her was not down (ride operator oversight?) The seat bottoms were flat, not "bucket shaped" and no seat dividers. A shoulder harness is great for negative forces but not for laterals. So when the pod rolled, there was nothing to keep her from sliding into the other seat. The pod continued to roll and then tragedy occurred.
I think it was ultimately considered to be a “design flaw” by the manufacturer, not really a mechanical failure.

They added seat dividers the next year, and the few times I rode the lines were always short.

-Brad

> I remember the accident on the flight commander at Kings
> Island.
> in 1991, because I was there a couple days after it
> happened.
> I do not recall anyone being intoxicated. I was told by
> park staff that she was thrown from the ride because the
> saftey harness in her car(seat) failed, and I believe a
> door on the car opened, and she fell 90 feet to the ground.

> I remember this well, because I was looking forward to
> riding it!
> I remember walking past the ride, and seeing a sign that
> said this ride will remain closed for the rest of the
> season. It was removed the following season.

> I would think that if the woman was intoxicated, the park
> would not have removed the ride. It was obviously not very
> safe.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by RobLec RobLec Profile at 6/24/05 7:12:23 PM

> What type of ride was Flight Commander?

First off, yes she was intoxicated.

The ride sat across from Vortex. It consisted of a large vertical column or drum which rotated and was slowly raised up from the platform when operating, something like the nearby Zephyr or flying swings.

Around the top of the column were a number of hydraulic arms which could be raised and lowered (think Monster with a dozen arms). At the end of each arm was a two-seat passenger pod, something like what's called the egg ride popular at traveling carnivals.

Each pod had a joystick between the two seats which controlled the raising and lowering of the arm and the rotating (or "roll") of the passenger pod.

The great thing about the ride was that the passengers could control their own ride experience.

The abandoned site was to have been the original location for Drop Zone, before the Action Zone was conceived. It has in recent years been the site of the EuroBungee or bungee/tramploine upcharge attraction.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by deeturner at 6/24/05 10:27:49 PM

I actually have Flight Commander Video footage from 1994. I was in the cockpit with my brother in-law and was filming us as he controlled our car(spaceship). Yes, I know this was a very stupid thing to do, but at that time in my life I was a very stupid person :)
Also I think I have footage of the ride from the ground, and other PKI rides from 1994.
But anyhoo, if you want to see the footage I might be able to retrieve it. It is on a compact VHS tape and I will see if I can transfer it or maybe I can try and get some still pics from it. I will post a link if I can.

Dee

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by MedusaFan at 6/25/05 3:12:08 PM

Would love to see this! Hope you can get a link with some footage. I've only done Beast, SO Beast, Flight of Fear (back when it was Outer limits) and some of the other coasters.

Kat

> post.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by deeturner at 6/25/05 10:58:44 PM

okay dokay, I managed to get a couple of still shots from my 1994 footage. Its not very good quality, being as its from a compact VHS tape that is 11yrs old, HA HA...
Hopefully this link will work to the pic, I will post all 4 of them in consecutive posts, hopefully....

This one is Flight Commander from the ground

DEE User Submitted Picture

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by deeturner at 6/25/05 11:00:06 PM

This one is from the loading platform looking at the cars... User Submitted Picture

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by deeturner at 6/25/05 11:01:26 PM

This one is from the, um.....cockpit while flying, um....I told you I was very stupid at this point in my life....LOL User Submitted Picture

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by deeturner at 6/25/05 11:02:31 PM

I did manage to swipe a still of the Witches Wheel also... User Submitted Picture

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by deeturner at 6/25/05 11:12:54 PM

Also on the footage I have lots of other cool stuff from 1994. Like for instance, I have The Beast, Racer, Days of Thunder(before Spongebob), Vortex(with a line all the way back to the 50's Cafe, LOL), Waterworks(with a nice shot of the Nestea Plunge slide), the train, and various other footage that I cant all recall right off hand.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Some of this is onboard footage. This is a very controversial subject, and this was a time in my life when I would do stupid things, so if anyone is offended by onboard footage I will cease from posting it.
----------------------------------------------------------------

I will try and get some more stills of that footage if anyone is interested. Please let me know.

Dee

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by Link Link Profile at 6/25/05 11:47:36 PM

> post.

I think I only rode Flight Commander ONCE before it was junked.

Wasn't all that thrilling to me.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by CraneGirl at 8/2/05 11:21:10 AM

First, No One has EVER died on Top Gun!

Second, the lady that died on Flight Commander was indeed drunk and she was trying to wave to friends in the car behind her, slipped her arm through the safety harness at the same time she flipped the pod over, causing her to shift out of the seat. The ride was removed due to the fact that the old harness gaps were too large and smaller framed people could easy slid between them (on purpose of course, never could they just slip through without help from stupidity).

Third, Only ONE man was electrocuted, he was park maintenance, and they were replacing lights in a "light pond" when the other maintenance man thought he was out and turned the power back on.

I worked there from the time I was 16 through college, and that was MANY a year ago! I was visiting the park on the day of the Flight Commander and pond deaths.

> post.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by Maestro Maestro Profile at 8/2/05 1:59:57 PM

There was indeed a fatality on Top Gun, but it was not related to the ride itself. The individual in question died of natural causes from a pre-existing medical condition that was previously unknown to the rider.

Secondly, Flight Commander did re-open for a couple of seasons after the fatality. The restraints were slightly modified to better secure the riders. It was eventually removed due to low-ridership after the 1995 season (I believe - correct me if I'm wrong).

Finally, there were 2 fatalities related to the pond. One was a park guest, and the second was a security guard who jumped in to save the first individual. There is a plaque honoring the employee (and a conference room named after him) in the security building.

Hope that clears things up!

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by Barbaramx at 8/2/05 2:21:51 PM

> post.

Hi I am glad to see this sight. Sorry I am new at this never posted anything in one of these things. The reason I am writing is because this past Sunday My best friend and I let my 16 year old and her 12 year old go to PKI, by themselves. The got on the Delerium and said it cracked very loud and stopped.
they were stuck for a very long time and they said the ride operator was panicked red faced and holding her face.
It scared me with my kids going. So far I haven't seen or heard anything solid yet but was very concerned about their story.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by Barbaramx at 8/2/05 2:46:14 PM

> post.

> Hi I am glad to see this sight. Sorry I am new at this
> never posted anything in one of these things. The reason I
> am writing is because this past Sunday My best friend and I
> let my 16 year old and her 12 year old go to PKI, by
> themselves. The got on the Delerium and said it cracked
> very loud and stopped.

CHECK THIS SIGHT OUT REPORTS OF INJURIES

http://www.amusementsafety.org/aso_injury_19.pdf
> they were stuck for a very long time and they said the ride
> operator was panicked red faced and holding her face.
> It scared me with my kids going. So far I haven't seen or
> heard anything solid yet but was very concerned about their
> story.
>

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by mikejenkins1 at 8/3/05 8:13:15 AM

Also, when they first decided to put the Drop Zone ride in its place they hinted about the ride by putting up a sign that said "A new ride is dropping in here soon". I remember reading that and thinking it was a bit risque since someone had fallen out of the previous ride. Anyone else remember seeing this sign? Wish I had a picture of it. Then obviously it was removed when the Action Zone was decided on as the location.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by Kennywood_fan at 8/3/05 4:42:28 PM

About Delerium Making Cracking noises. I was there one day during early Spring and i just got off son of beast. It took about 30 Minutes to unload everyone because the floor didn't raise up. They ran It again empty after they got everyone off and the same thing happened. I don't know what was worng. Nothing life threatning I dont think but did cause some scares. I did notice the Bar Connecting the gondola to the top was rubbing against the mechanics platform.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by Rollercoasterjon at 8/5/05 4:30:33 PM

> A guest fell from the now closed 130' platform of the
> Eiffel Tower sometime in the seventies I believe.

From what i have heard from somone who was there when it happened was, that the guest that died on eiffel tower fell down the elevator shaft and got decapitated (if thats how you spell it)

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by Francesca at 8/10/05 4:35:52 PM

I was at Grad night the night the guy was decapitated on the Eiffel Tower at King's Island. It was 1983. I remember there being a huge tarp over the elevator. The story I heard was that he had been stoned or drunk and had climbed out of the elevator somehow, got on top of it, and was decapitated by the gears or wires. Pretty freaky that I was there that night. You sure won't find much about it on the internet, as I'm sure they keep it pretty hush hush.

Interestingly enough, my brother recently put my family's old 8mm an Super 8mm film onto videotape. There is a section from the first year that King's Island opened because my dad was one of the guys who built the roads there. He has some great footage of the Tower, Gulliver's travels, the old giant slide, the fountain, and views from the sky cars. There was practically NOTHING behind the shops around the fountain...just trees and hills. Pretty neat. The only coaster was the Racer (and it was both forward not one forward and one backward) and I was just tall enough to ride. It was awesome!

> From what i have heard from somone who was there when it
> happened was, that the guest that died on eiffel tower fell
> down the elevator shaft and got decapitated (if thats how
> you spell it)

>

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by tjt1976 at 8/25/05 2:17:04 PM

Going along with the theme of injuries at PKI, does anyone know if someone was injured on the Bat? I always remember liking that ride when I was a kid...was always kind of a mystery why it was shut down. The rumors of course were that one of the cars swong and hit a support beam, but I always doubted that was true...anyone know?
> post.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by MrPKI MrPKI Profile at 8/25/05 3:37:24 PM

> Going along with the theme of injuries at PKI, does anyone
> know if someone was injured on the Bat? I always remember
> liking that ride when I was a kid...was always kind of a
> mystery why it was shut down. The rumors of course were
> that one of the cars swong and hit a support beam, but I
> always doubted that was true...anyone know?

Contrary to popular rumor. No one was ever injured on the Bat. The reason it was taken down was due to under engineered trains, I believe.

MrPKI

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by PCW_SkyRider PCW_SkyRider Profile at 8/25/05 10:28:57 PM

> Contrary to popular rumor. No one was ever injured on the
> Bat. The reason it was taken down was due to under
> engineered trains, I believe.

> MrPKI

Hehehe, I still don't get how the brake fins entered the shoes with all of that swinging?

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by WooferBearATL at 9/20/05 4:59:36 PM

> MrPKI

You're right. I worked at Kings Island (I am unable to put the name P******** in front of the park) for 6 years (Until 1990) The Bat was removed because they could not guarantee operation time. The person killed on the Eifel Tower had climed from the 50' deck into the area that one of the elevators was going on. He was actually struck by the counter balance on the elevator.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by WooferBearATL at 9/20/05 5:02:19 PM

> I was at Grad night the night the guy was decapitated
> on the Eiffel Tower at King's Island. It was 1983. I
> remember there being a huge tarp over the elevator. The
> story I heard was that he had been stoned or drunk and had
> climbed out of the elevator somehow, got on top of it, and
> was decapitated by the gears or wires. Pretty freaky that I
> was there that night. You sure won't find much about it on
> the internet, as I'm sure they keep it pretty hush hush.

Actually all amusment/theme parks control the information that is let out. There are a variety of more severe and not so severe accidents and injuries that are never discussed.

As far as the tower incident, that was not able to be controlled and there was quite a bit of news on this one.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by Crazy at 10/13/05 10:24:06 AM

> post.
Just found this sight and hope this helps.
Not sure when it happened. Kings Island had a Lion Country Safari and Monorail ride. Where a worker had the runs and steped out of his truck droped his pants and got killed by a lion. Later the ride had another name of Wild Animal Habitat and Monorail. This ride closed in 1994

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by billybobjoe1127 at 10/14/05 1:20:57 PM

> post.

I want to clear up all of the wrong info about "Black Sunday".
Cranegirl is wrong, there were two people electrocuted that day. One was my co-worker and softball team member William "Eddie" Haithcoat, Jr. Here's what happened. Eddie, Tim Binning, and some other friends were walking near the pond at the biergarten in Oktoberfest. Being a hot afternoon, Tim Benning went to splash his buddies with water, when he was shocked, and fell into the pond. An aerator pump was not connected to a ground fault interupter. Eddie jumped in to save Tim, and was shocked. A passing security guard (Darrell Robertson) saw this, and jumped in to save the two men, but he was shocked as well. A guest felt the water, and feeling no current, pulled them out. Eddie and the security guard died, and Tim suffered nerve damage to his arm. There is a story about this event in Rental Management magazine from July 1991, as well as Cincinnati Enquirer. Eddie worked with me at Schulhoff Tool Rental here in Cincy. I have a copy of it if you are interested. Every time I go to King's Island with my family, I always go to the beirgarten to have a beer for Eddie. It is a family tradition. He was a great friend, and he would do it all over again within a blink of an eye. I wish people would get their facts straight before they post untrue stories.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by Craig at 12/30/05 1:46:42 PM

> post.

I was the one who pulled the Guard out of the pond and tried to bring him back but I lost him....

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by JBlake JBlake Profile at 1/29/06 8:07:04 PM

> Not sure when it happened. Kings Island had a Lion Country
> Safari and Monorail ride. Where a worker had the runs and
> steped out of his truck droped his pants and got killed by
> a lion. Later the ride had another name of Wild Animal
> Habitat and Monorail. This ride closed in 1994

This accident happened back in the early 80's. The true story was told to me by a friend and once co-worker, John Bachelder. He ran a landscaping crew from 1973 to 1989. The boys name was Johnny and had worked for John in the landscaping dept. the season before the accident. Because Johnny loved animals, he requested a transfer to the Safari Habitat for the following season. This dept drove 4-wheel drive vehicles that were equiped with necessary safety pre-cautions for avoiding fatalities when driving through Lion Country. The part about Johnny dropping his pants was true. He stepped away from his vehicle leaving his tranquilizer riffle behind and was attacked just a few yards away from his vehicle by a lion. When I first heard this story it stuck with me for nearly a week. John recolected how hard it was on Johnnys family. Tragic story to say the least. I have many other stories such as this that I wouldn't mind sharing if anyone is interested. All my info came from a very reliable source and most, if not all, were witnessed first-hand by my former employer.

~Josh

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by corrinna1993 at 2/4/06 3:39:19 PM

I am glad that we got the story straight finally....with what happened that sad, sad Sunday. I worked at PKI for 5 years starting in 1993, and one of the guys who worked security told me about the accidents of that day.

On another note, I heard the Bat was finally removed and sold, because it was actually built as a prototype of the first suspended coasters. Since, it was a prototype there were naturally engineering and mechanical problems with it all the time. I never got to ride the Bat because it was always broke down, everytime we went to the park.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by JBlake JBlake Profile at 2/6/06 2:19:48 AM

> On another note, I heard the Bat was finally removed and
> sold, because it was actually built as a prototype of the
> first suspended coasters. Since, it was a prototype there
> were naturally engineering and mechanical problems with it
> all the time. I never got to ride the Bat because it was
> always broke down, everytime we went to the park.

The other part and the main reason it was taken out was the result of mounting law-suits Kings Island was dealing with from guests who suffered whiplash from riding the Bat. Remember that most of the rides Kings Island opened were prototypes (ie, King Cobra, Outer limits, etc.)and most, with the exception of the Bat, were and are very successful. Every prototype ride Kings Island has introduced, and "stock" rides for that matter, have gone through a series of mechanical issues and re-adjustments before they were open to the public on a steady basis (remember how often the King Cobra & Outer Limits were closed during their first seasons?) In the end, it takes far more than mechanical mishaps to have a ride removed. It does, however, provide the park with a simply and easy excuse for why a ride has been shut down and removed.

~Josh

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by kurtholt at 2/21/06 11:13:17 AM

I worked on Lion Country Safari for a few months. I drove the monorail trains. Once, when the train was packed with kids, a lion actually managed to use one of its paws to push the bottom part of the plexiglass window in, so that it popped from the seam. However, the top and sides remained in place.
On another note, the driver doors were not rigged so that the train would stop if they were open. I always left them open in the antelope sections. It was great fun to pass just two feet away from the head of an antelope. One day I actually drove into the lion section, albeit only 30 feet, before I remembered to close the door. Could have been fatality number two.

> post.
> Just found this sight and hope this helps.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by kurtholt at 3/11/06 12:57:39 PM

> post.

Faced with a choice of poisons, I suppose having to work on Lion Country Safari wasn't such a bad deal. I was a gangly 18-year old lad in my third amusement park season. Of course, there was the khaki uniform to consider, but it wasn't half as bad as the shorts and knee-length socks worn by the guys in Octoberfest.

The monorail station was marooned in the far northeast corner of the park. On the front of the station were fiberglass renderings of crazy Zulu masks, huge bamboo shields and bunches and bunches of long pointy spears. An open but roofed station over a huge queue line gave one no hint of the grave dangers that lie ahead. Off to the far back was a side-yard containing six unused monorail trains. Speaking of masks, I tried to mask my excitement when my trainer led me up to the front cab, where the operator sat. My brain was fizzing with images of all the knobs and switches I'd soon be pushing. After all, the train consisted of a front cab, whose swept-back window mirrored that of a high speed train. Six separate cabs directly behind us with huge windows reminded me of a caterpillar, except, of course, for the huge rubber wheels hidden under metal shrouds between each cab. To my utter disappointment, there was just a single knurled knob, a very small one at that, which controlled the electric train; zero was stop and '10' was top speed. Hmmm, I could handle that. But there was also a walkie-talkie in the cab, allowing one to communicate with the monorail station and the rangers should something dangerous happen. I could see myself riding on top of a speeding train like Tarzan, shouting into the two-way,

"WE NEED A MEDIC, STAT!!!"

Being young and clueless, it took most of us a while to keep our finger on the "SEND" button until after the end of our speech. Usually you'd hear half a garbled sentence and then have to ask them to repeat it. At top speed the train zoomed along at 20mph, but this was the post-season weekends, where lines were not as long, so we were allowed to slow down should anything interesting happen. And yes, we saw plenty of interesting things. Animals have no bathrooms, you see. My trainer, Mimi the beautiful, handed me a spiel book so I could go over the lines as she closed all of the passenger doors, but not before saying over the intercom,

"Please keep your hands and fingers away from the doors, we are about to leave the station. "Hujambo," she went on, "Hibari Za Azabui, or good morning and welcome to Lion Country Safari."

Mimi rattled off statistics about giraffe as we slide on by a pair who were feeding next to the tracks. There were no leaves on practically any trees under the height of the giraffes. The first few hundred yards bordered a huge fence next to the twin racing roller coasters, but then we glided off to the left, and glide was the word, because except for a barely imperceptible electric hum it was smooth as riding in a Rolls Royce. This was cool, I thought, but then I realized I'd have to memorize about a zillion animal facts.

Next into view was a small pond with two hippos, only 20 feet from the tracks. At that point the train was slightly lower in elevation, bringing each set of passenger eyeballs to the level of the hippos, whose huge, unblinking eyes under long lashes always stared right back. I fervently hoped that they didn't have to defecate, where their short tails swung back and forth like windshield washers, spreading out the mess. The elephants and ostriches seemed unconcerned about our train as I thumbed through the pages of the animal fact book, but then I realized that I could have the book with me as I drove, after all, no steering wheel was involved on that double metal track, which sometimes left the ground to cross gurgling streams or small gullies.

Our doors were both open. Yes, we'd have to close them when we left the grazing animal section, crossed a shallow gorge and then entered the Lion Section. Here I will digress to mention that once I went about 30 feet into the lion section before remembering to close my door, but the train was still ten feet high at that part of the journey. And yes, I closed the door very quickly. The Lion section was what Lion Country Safari was all about. More than a few times a lion would be standing next the tracks, looking at us, as if to say with unblinking eyes, without those doors I'd be your master in seconds. There was a tree with a long lower limb, which the lions would drape themselves for a long forty winks. As a humorous aside, one year it was decided that baboons could share the section with the lions. Small, very quick and agile baboons. After all, the lions were well-fed and lazy, not predisposed to chase anything farther than 20 feet. Meshed netting on the inside of the fences was supposed to be baboon-proof, but as soon as they let them go half of the monkeys went over the fence. Monkeys ranged over Mason, Ohio for weeks. A young ranger who worked in landscaping the year before asked for a transfer to Lion Country Safari. (The rangers had tranquilizer guns and drove jeeps with steel-caged windows around the section while the ride was operating.) John had to go the bathroom and very unwisely left his jeep for just a few seconds and was killed.

The last section wheeled around a dusty, grass-eaten plain in a way so that we were at eye-level with Rhinos. Black Rhinos to be accurate, mean, short-tempered beasts. Most of the time they slept in groups or were eating, big jaws moving sideways, but every once in a while someone was riled or found a cache of food and then we saw them running in a hurry. Ostriches simply refused to walk over the tracks, which would have been very easy for creatures with long legs. They simpley walked along the tracks until they found a spot to duck under them. As my door was open, all the time I'd stop to have a little staring contest. Spingbok, little gazelles, were simply amazing. They ran around in a pack, and as they ran they leaped, and boy, could they leap.

As we left the last section the train began climbing into the air, but really, it was the ground that was dropping away as we crossed a gorge on our way back to the station. Nothing but trees. There were so many of them, in fact, that through the last quarter-mile we couldn't see anything but trees and the ground far beneath. That train was snaking like a Boa Constrictor through the trees, a beautiful way to end the trip.

An end note: as the train sat in the station, as people were boarding, it was a favorite trick for someone to divert the ride operator; as this happened, someone else would reach in the door and turn up the volume of the microphone to its highest setting. Once this happened with my family on board, and to my chagrin they heard me shout out,

"DAMN-IT, STOP THAT!"

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by D3athCabforCuti3 at 3/11/06 10:19:43 PM

>First, No One has EVER died on Top Gun!

There was one fatality relating to Top Gun.

The accident happened on July 29, 2003. A woman who was 34 years old died one day after suffering a heart attack during her ride on the Top Gun roller coaster at Paramount's Kings Island theme park in Cincinnati, Ohio. The woman had no history of heart problems, but doctors say she may have had an enlarged heart and high blood pressure which contributed to her death.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by deamtch at 5/22/06 2:16:09 AM

> post.
>
i remember the BAT ride...i rode it when i was younger. my husband (boyfriend at the time) and i was there when a man died on the Bat. we were told that he had fell out from it and landed on the tracks. this came from a man that was helping his panicked wife out of the park. he claimed they saw it happened. we didnt though. hope this helps

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by RobLec RobLec Profile at 5/22/06 7:14:54 AM

> i remember the BAT ride...i rode it when i was younger. my
> husband (boyfriend at the time) and i was there when a man
> died on the Bat. we were told that he had fell out from it
> and landed on the tracks. this came from a man that was
> helping his panicked wife out of the park. he claimed they
> saw it happened. we didnt though. hope this helps

Nope, nobody ever died on the Bat. And while I suppose it could be remotely possible, landing on an overhead track is very unlikely.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by Shooting_Star at 5/22/06 2:52:22 PM

> landing on an overhead track is
> very unlikely.

Curses! Reverse gravity strikes again!

Every amusement ride that has ever been closed is because of a fatality, just like every Chinese restaurant that ever closed was because the board of health shut them down for serving up dogs and cats.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by hrider at 5/25/06 3:40:51 PM

> post.

I was there that day at the park when those three people were killed. The two that were electrocuted had fallen or jumped into the 'lake' by the German Octoberfest eating area. It was said that the lake contained live wires coming from the King Cobra coaster. I don't know any more specifics about the Flight Commander incident. It was 'Gay Day' in the park (I happened to be there as a sheer coincidence, but since I had driven 2 hours to get there, I decided to stay) and there were ALOT of drunk people around.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by Shaft_STL Shaft_STL Profile at 5/25/06 5:38:44 PM

Did you read anything but the original post? And why did it matter that it was gay day?

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by im_right_ur_wrong at 5/27/06 7:49:03 AM

> Did you read anything but the original post? And why did it
> matter that it was gay day?

the only thing that matters is that he was in attendance knowingly and willingly......

when king's island hosts pride at the park or "gay day" the marquee along the freeway flashes closed for private event. pride at the park is advertised in local gay magazines, publishings and websites. to anyone who was looking to go to the park on that day they would not be able to because on the park's calendar the park would not be scheduled to open on that day.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 5/29/06 7:45:58 PM

> Did you read anything but the original post? And why did it
> matter that it was gay day?

> the only thing that matters is that he was in attendance
> knowingly and willingly......

> when king's island hosts pride at the park or "gay
> day" the marquee along the freeway flashes closed for
> private event. pride at the park is advertised in local gay
> magazines, publishings and websites. to anyone who was
> looking to go to the park on that day they would not be
> able to because on the park's calendar the park would not
> be scheduled to open on that day.

Ahh, while you're so busy insisting that you're right and everyone else is wrong, you should at least get your facts correct, oh, and be bothered to actually read through a thread before replying to it.

"Gay Day" events are not "private events" at the parks. They are days that the parks are still open to the public in almost every case, but happens to be a day that outside interest groups coordinate to visit the parks. Anyone can go as the park is NOT closed to public and operates as a normal business day.

And frankly whether or not it was gay day is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand anyways.

Lastly- please, clean up your writing a bit. We do have rules around here about proper spelling, puntuation, grammer, capitalization, etc. If you want people to respect what you write and have some credibility, then take the time to write it decently.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by PlayTheGamesToo at 5/29/06 8:30:16 PM

I've frequented these boards as a lurker often, but I saw some stuff that was said that was just so blatantly incorrect, that I couldn't let it go by uncorrected.

First of all, not that it matters, but it was NOT "gay day" (which is actually referred to as GLBTCC night and unofficially called pride night).

I know for a fact that it was not a GLBTCC event because A. I know a person who attended the park that day, but that's not going to help prove anything to anyone but me, and B. GLBTCC events are NEVER during regular season. They are always in post season, either after park closes to the public, or on a night when the park isn't open to the public at all.

Not to mention, this event is not open to the public, tickets must be purchased through special circumstances.

So either you weren't there, and you're just pulling that story out of your butt, or you were there but feel the need to throw 'gay day' into the picture.

Also, it was lighting, not King Cobra wires in the lake, but it still was electrocution that caused the fatalities.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by JB-money at 6/17/06 12:52:00 AM

> Eiffel Tower sometime in the seventies I believe. And a
> construction worker (not a guest) fell to his death during
> construction of FOF.

> post.
>

A friend of a friend told me that story but he said he was there and it took place in the early 80's he said a guy was trying to climb the tower and got caught up in the elevator cables and it cut off one of his arms and his head and the arm and leg landed on the 50ft deck and everyone started screaming. That is what I heard.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by Shaft_STL Shaft_STL Profile at 6/17/06 2:47:01 PM

READ THE REST OF THE RESPONSES BEFORE YOU POST!

Way to bring up a dead conversation that has already been discussed, in full, over and over again, with every pertinent detail already in print just above what you wrote. I'm so sick of this!

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by PCW_SkyRider PCW_SkyRider Profile at 6/17/06 8:04:34 PM

This topic will never die will it.

In 2 months or so someone will bring up back from the dead again.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by RobLec RobLec Profile at 6/18/06 12:08:48 AM

> This topic will never die will it.
> In 2 months or so someone will bring up back from the dead again.

Yes, and they will claim that someone died on Top Gun or on the Bat, and that they had a friend who was there that day.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by pcwfreak pcwfreak Profile at 7/8/06 10:35:17 AM

^Source?

ThrillVelocity

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by kwel444 at 7/9/06 9:45:14 PM

I was involved in an accident on the Bat in the early eighties. I never saw it run again after that, although it may have. There were two sections of the ride where a chain carried the cars up a hill. On the second section the train hit the chained area and slipped. The chain did not catch the cars. The front cars began to loose momentum and slip backward, while the cars at the end of the train carried momentum and caused the train to buckle on itself. The metal at the top of our car had been torn from the track and the car was being held by a safety cable. The two cars in front of us were actually hanging by the safety cable and dangling from the rest of the train. There was a second train heading up the first hill, but it stopped before it reached the top or would have hit our train. We were told later there was a built in safety to keep it from going it the first train had not cleared the second hill. We were eventually taken down in a cherry picker and led into a conference room , where they made sure we were OK. We were given a pass to avoid the line on our next Bat ride. The fiberglass "bat heads" that adorned the front of our car was crushed. As far as I know, nobody was injured. But it was a pretty scary feeling.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by crazyyellowwife at 7/10/06 12:40:23 AM

> post.

THIS JUST HAPPENED TODAY!!! JULY 9, 2006

9News has learned that as many as 27 people were injured after a malfunction on the "Son of Beast" wooden roller coaster ride at the Paramount Kings Island amusement park in Mason.

It happened around 4:45 p.m. Sunday afternoon.

The park remained open Sunday but the ride has been shut down, although empty cars could still be seen suspended on an incline going up the track.

Witnesses say they saw the roller coast stop with a "bump," like a car coming to an abrupt stop.

Several rescue squads were called to the amusement park which is just off I-71 in Warren County.

Dozens of EMS units from Hamilton and Warren counties as well as local townships took people to Bethesda North Hospital in Montgomery where the staff is on "high alert."

Seventeen riders had been released from hospitals within five hours of the accident and one had been admitted with injuries that weren't life-threatening, Maureen Kaiser, a spokeswoman for the park said.

Twelve people were taken to Bethesda North Hospital and 10 were taken to Bethesda Medical Center in Lebanon, said Mona Fuqua, a spokeswoman for both hospitals.

"At this point, we're looking at bumps and bruises," she said.

Several others were taken to Mercy Hospital of Fairfield, a sheriff's dispatcher said.

A nursing supervisor at the hospital declined to describe their conditions or even confirm park patrons were brought there.

9News was told many of the passengers complained of head and neck injuries.

The park's website describes the roller coaster as "the tallest, fastest and only looping wooden coaster on the planet" that hurtles down a 214-foot hill at more than 78 mph.

The coaster, more than 7,000 feet long, features a 118-foot tall loop.

Kaiser said park officials have shut down the Son of Beast roller coaster and are examining it.

Investigators with the Ohio Department of Agriculture's ride safety division also were planning to examine the ride, she said.

Riders complained of discomfort after the coaster completed a circuit and pulled back into the boarding area, said Kaiser.

The park's emergency staff tended to the riders and notified authorities, Kaiser said.

A sheriff's office dispatcher said said most had minor chest and neck injuries.

User Submitted Picture

Son of Beast Shut Down Today

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by crazyyellowwife at 7/10/06 12:51:21 AM

I was actually working in the park in Rivertown near The Beast the day the people got electrocuted...We were told to go straight to our cars after leaving the park and don't talk to anyone, and as I was going home through the employees' exit, there was a helicopter there in the parking lot for the big shots...I remember they air-lifted all of them out and the flight commander accident was due to someone riding that was actually too short to ride and slid out of the restraints...Very sad day for the park. I worked a total of about 5 seasons up there, and 2 Winterfests. I absolutely love Kings Island. Very beautiful park and very entertaining. I read somewhere that the Son of Beast was probably more trouble than it was worth...very hard to maintain since it was such a large stucture and wooden it would have lots of trouble...But don't let that deter you from coming to Cincinnati to visit there are lots of other awesome rides to check out!
User Submitted Picture

Son of Beast Shut Down Today

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by crazyyellowwife at 7/10/06 12:59:28 AM

> I did manage to swipe a still of the Witches Wheel also...

Name Correcton: Skylab

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by keljon77 at 7/10/06 8:26:54 AM

> THIS JUST HAPPENED TODAY!!! JULY 9, 2006

My husband and I were at PKI this weekend for Spirit Song. The coaster was closed most of the day on Friday. We road it shortly after it reopened. The ride was extrememly rough. I expected a good bit off jostling because it was a wooden coaster, but this was a bit much. At one point my husband groaned in pain because of an abrupt change in vertical motion. Also there was one point where we seemed to be airborne then we were jerked quickly left and then right the track felt like it had about 6 inches of play on each side when that happened. That is one foot total. It did not feel secure on the track. Wood is not meant to take that kind of shaking without falling apart. After getting off the coaster my husband and I were silent for a moment. I looked and him and said, "I don't think that was right." He replied, "Yeah, I don't think we'll ride that one again. It could be a good ride, but something is wrong with it." I developed a bruise on my left shoulder shortly there after.
We love coasters but something was definately wrong with this one. I won't ride it again.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by buckeyepki at 7/10/06 11:21:56 AM

Son of Beast has ALWAYS been very bumping and rough....but this past weekends accident is scary...

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by PKIFREAK at 7/10/06 11:34:10 AM

> post.

> 9News has learned that as many as 27 people were injured
> after a malfunction on the "Son of Beast" wooden
> roller coaster ride at the Paramount Kings Island amusement
> park in Mason.

> It happened around 4:45 p.m. Sunday afternoon.

> The park remained open Sunday but the ride has been shut
> down, although empty cars could still be seen suspended on
> an incline going up the track.

> Witnesses say they saw the roller coast stop with a
> "bump," like a car coming to an abrupt stop.

> Several rescue squads were called to the amusement park
> which is just off I-71 in Warren County.

> Dozens of EMS units from Hamilton and Warren counties as
> well as local townships took people to Bethesda North
> Hospital in Montgomery where the staff is on "high
> alert."

> Seventeen riders had been released from hospitals within
> five hours of the accident and one had been admitted with
> injuries that weren't life-threatening, Maureen Kaiser, a
> spokeswoman for the park said.

> Twelve people were taken to Bethesda North Hospital and 10
> were taken to Bethesda Medical Center in Lebanon, said Mona
> Fuqua, a spokeswoman for both hospitals.

> "At this point, we're looking at bumps and
> bruises," she said.

> Several others were taken to Mercy Hospital of Fairfield, a
> sheriff's dispatcher said.

> A nursing supervisor at the hospital declined to describe
> their conditions or even confirm park patrons were brought
> there.

> 9News was told many of the passengers complained of head
> and neck injuries.

> The park's website describes the roller coaster as
> "the tallest, fastest and only looping wooden coaster
> on the planet" that hurtles down a 214-foot hill at
> more than 78 mph.

> The coaster, more than 7,000 feet long, features a 118-foot
> tall loop.

> Kaiser said park officials have shut down the Son of Beast
> roller coaster and are examining it.

> Investigators with the Ohio Department of Agriculture's
> ride safety division also were planning to examine the
> ride, she said.

> Riders complained of discomfort after the coaster completed
> a circuit and pulled back into the boarding area, said
> Kaiser.

> The park's emergency staff tended to the riders and
> notified authorities, Kaiser said.

> A sheriff's office dispatcher said said most had minor
> chest and neck injuries.

I wasn't there when this happened but I do remember a story about the Son of Beast breaking down when it first opened. I heard that the ride was stoped at the top of the hill. The riders then had to climb down the wooden siding. I don't have any thing to prove this but i remember a lot of people saying it. Then yesterday the ride did come to a abrupt stop and injured 27 people. i don't know about you, but I will probably NEVER ride this again! thanks
~Katie Paige

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by sloshed at 7/10/06 12:16:46 PM

I was in the park Sunday, July 9th 2006 when it happened (yesterday). SOB was closed for 2.5 hrs when the park opened. My girlfriend and I got on it aprox around 330 (about an hr before the accident occured). She leaned over at 2 different points during the ride and said, "man i'm telling you something doesn't feel right". Now, I didn't want to encourage her because in the 100 times we have ridden it, there is never a "right" feel about it (those who have ridden SOB know what I am talking about). However, I was thinking to myself the whole time there was an above average amount of shaking occuring along with an "uneven feel" to the ride. Anyway, about 45 min after we had ridden it we decided to walk back over towards Delerium. While waiting in line I thougt I heard a breaking noise and looked up and saw a train stuck on SOB's main hill. At the time I just thought it was down again and hoped they didn't have to take the "long walk". Then we strted hearing people coming from that direction that cars had slammed into each other and all this other crap (none of which was true). About the time we decided to get out of line to see what was going on we started hearing sirens. Upon going over near the ride I saw an employee that I had talked to for a sec when we found out the ride was closed earlier on. I asked him if he knew what was up and he said that a train had braked suddenly and there were injuries and that was all he knew. From what we learned later a lady had broke her chest bone and there were numerous other back and neck injuries from an apparent misalignment from the steel loop on SOB to its wooden structure. Somehow this caused a sudden braking motion in the train. This was the last thing we heard if anyone has found out anything since please let me know. Thanks,
Josh
> post.

> 9News has learned that as many as 27 people were injured
> after a malfunction on the "Son of Beast" wooden
> roller coaster ride at the Paramount Kings Island amusement
> park in Mason.

> It happened around 4:45 p.m. Sunday afternoon.

> The park remained open Sunday but the ride has been shut
> down, although empty cars could still be seen suspended on
> an incline going up the track.

> Witnesses say they saw the roller coast stop with a
> "bump," like a car coming to an abrupt stop.

> Several rescue squads were called to the amusement park
> which is just off I-71 in Warren County.

> Dozens of EMS units from Hamilton and Warren counties as
> well as local townships took people to Bethesda North
> Hospital in Montgomery where the staff is on "high
> alert."

> Seventeen riders had been released from hospitals within
> five hours of the accident and one had been admitted with
> injuries that weren't life-threatening, Maureen Kaiser, a
> spokeswoman for the park said.

> Twelve people were taken to Bethesda North Hospital and 10
> were taken to Bethesda Medical Center in Lebanon, said Mona
> Fuqua, a spokeswoman for both hospitals.

> "At this point, we're looking at bumps and
> bruises," she said.

> Several others were taken to Mercy Hospital of Fairfield, a
> sheriff's dispatcher said.

> A nursing supervisor at the hospital declined to describe
> their conditions or even confirm park patrons were brought
> there.

> 9News was told many of the passengers complained of head
> and neck injuries.

> The park's website describes the roller coaster as
> "the tallest, fastest and only looping wooden coaster
> on the planet" that hurtles down a 214-foot hill at
> more than 78 mph.

> The coaster, more than 7,000 feet long, features a 118-foot
> tall loop.

> Kaiser said park officials have shut down the Son of Beast
> roller coaster and are examining it.

> Investigators with the Ohio Department of Agriculture's
> ride safety division also were planning to examine the
> ride, she said.

> Riders complained of discomfort after the coaster completed
> a circuit and pulled back into the boarding area, said
> Kaiser.

> The park's emergency staff tended to the riders and
> notified authorities, Kaiser said.

> A sheriff's office dispatcher said said most had minor
> chest and neck injuries.

> I wasn't there when this happened but I do remember a story
> about the Son of Beast breaking down when it first opened.
> I heard that the ride was stoped at the top of the hill.
> The riders then had to climb down the wooden siding. I
> don't have any thing to prove this but i remember a lot of
> people saying it. Then yesterday the ride did come to a
> abrupt stop and injured 27 people. i don't know about you,
> but I will probably NEVER ride this again! thanks
> ~Katie Paige
>

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by Shaft_STL Shaft_STL Profile at 7/10/06 1:08:33 PM

Since there was no fatalities...

http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/forums/cgi/forum1.cgi?read=170843

Might be a little more appropriate and specific to discuss in.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by naya at 7/10/06 11:23:33 PM

Look, I don't have any sorce other than myself..a 34 year old woman.

One week in the early 1980's my mother had decided to take us to Kings Island.

But the night before on WAVE 3 News they reported one man died on the Bat.

You take this recent accident with the son of the beast. Try to find decent info on it. It's nearly impossible.

I love Kings Island and we will go back with my own family.
But the fact is deaths are hidden.

I know what I saw on the news that day.

For years my mother refused to allow me to go to Kings Island, this eventually saved my life one fateful day in 1988 when I was supposed to go to kings Island with our friends from church.

That was the Carrolton bus crash.

You could say one of the reasons I am here today is because WAVE 3 reported a death in Kings Island on the Bat.

I can never forget it.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by keghead at 7/11/06 12:56:57 AM

2 things about KI:

1. the SoB is a messed up ride. I wrode it the 1st or 2nd year it opened and it hurt so bad, none of us have ridden it again. They knew something was wrong, because while we were pulling up back to the train house, we heard them announcing to the people in line they were shutting down the ride (at 4pm on a saturday). the girls we were with had mild whiplash (in my nonexpert opinion) they're necks were sore for a week. and i had bruises all over and my knee and back were sore for a few days also. that ride is just a bad day away from killing someone.

2. on the post above about gay day...i have been to the park when it happened to be gay day. i was visiting cincy before i moved here, it was 1994 and during the middle of summer. the park wasn't closed or private party or anything it was just a normal packed day with tons of gays and lesbians. we didn't notice it for a few minutes, but then it hit us that a large percentage of the people were gay and asked an employee and he said it was gay day. at first i just thought ohio had freakish amount of gay people and they all like roller coasters.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 7/11/06 2:04:48 PM

> You could say one of the reasons I am here today is because
> WAVE 3 reported a death in Kings Island on the Bat.

> I can never forget it.

I'm not trying to be rude here, but what you can never forget never happened. There was not ever any fatalities on the Bat. Some things you can attempt to cover up. A fatality on the ride is NOT one of them.

You're talking about memories you have from when you were a kid. From experience, with my own as well as those of my two children, kids remember things that simply never happened. My 10 year old daughter is constantly telling us about things that she remembers that never happned, but she's completely convinced that they did.

If it happened, there would be some sort of official archive somewhere that would mention it- a newspaper, government report, lawsuit from the family, something. And there isn't. It didn't happen. Sorry.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by love2all at 7/12/06 2:29:35 PM

I have gone to Kings Island since I was 2. I remember a LOT of accidents and fatalies.

I remember hearing about the guy who died on the Eiffel tower, the people who were electrocuted in the pond and the woman who had a heart attack on Top Gun.

I don’t recall any Bat deaths, just that it was a ride that was broken ALL THE TIME. I could never get on it!

The Son of Beast.. wow.. yeah, I heard about it injuring 27 or so people. I’ve ridden it several times and what puzzles me is, I was one of the very first people to ride it and.. my gosh, I remember it being a lot smoother than I ever expected. Very smooth for a wooden coaster. Then I rode it a bit later and it was one of the roughest rides I’ve ever been on. I don’t know if it was smooth in the beginning and somehow became rougher due to structural damage/adjustments or what. But yeah, that’s a pretty rough ride.

I have heard of some other fatalities that I don’t recall being mentioned here (maybe I just didn’t read thoroughly!). These could be urban legends, just so you know. I'm not sure of the validity of these, I've just heard them repeated so many times.

There was a high school boy who was in a band and was there for some kind of band event and what I’ve always heard was that he was struck by lightning in the parking lot of Kings Island. He was carrying his instrument (played tuba or something) and the combination of holding metal and being in water (it was raining) made him susceptible to a lightning strike and got struck. Not a ride accident, but..

Another fatality that may or may not be a rumor was of a drunk guy diving into the main fountain and breaking his neck. This water is VERY shallow so I imagine someone was pretty drunk to do this.

And weren’t there about 16 people or so killed on the King Cobra in the late 80s or early 90s? I swear to you I have a memory of my dad telling me about this and discussing it with me (we live a few miles from the park) but I can't find anything about it anymore!! I thought 16-18 people died riding the King Cobra. Or perhaps they were just injured? It's been bugging me for a while and I can't figure it out nor can I find it anywhere online.

I do know they shut down the King Cobra for a day around 1999 only as a precaution due to a fatality at another park somewhere (it was a similar coaster and they wanted to make sure it was safe before re-opening it) But this is a totally separate incident and is not related to these 16 or so people supposedly getting killed on the King Cobra. I could be insane but I swear I remember this.

Oh, I do recall being rescued from a Kings Island ride. This ride was taken down VERY early.. either late 70s or early 80s but there was a Sky Ride cable car kind of ride that got stuck in the air. I was riding it with my dad and it just stopped. Some rescue crews got a huge ladder and put it up at one of the towers holding the cable or something like that. I think they moved our car over to the tower, my dad climbed down and a rescue worker carried me down. I remember being very nonchalant about it since I was so little but my dad was kind of freaked out.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by snoozypooh snoozypooh Profile at 7/12/06 5:25:18 PM

> Oh, I do recall being rescued from a Kings Island ride.
> This ride was taken down VERY early.. either late 70s or
> early 80s but there was a Sky Ride cable car kind of ride
> that got stuck in the air. I was riding it with my dad and
> it just stopped. Some rescue crews got a huge ladder and
> put it up at one of the towers holding the cable or
> something like that. I think they moved our car over to the
> tower, my dad climbed down and a rescue worker carried me
> down. I remember being very nonchalant about it since I was
> so little but my dad was kind of freaked out.

In 1978, I went to Six Flags St. Louis (it was Six Flags over Mid-America at the time) with my family, and two weeks after we got back, there was an accident involving one of the cable cars on the Skyway. It apparently just "dropped" to the ground killing three people, seriously injuring another and leaving many people stranded in the remaining cars. Here is the little paragraph about it I found at this link:

http://www.sfot.net/sfot-forums/archive/index.php?t-13.html

"Tuesday, July 26, 1978 - Three people were killed at Six Flags Mid-America amusement park in Eureka, Missouri, after their gondola car fell from the park's "Skyway" ride. Another person, also riding in the car, was seriously injured. The ride was shut down immediately, leaving nearly one hundred people stranded in the twenty-seven remaining cars, some of which had stopped at heights of up to two hundred feet. Firefighters were called to the park to rescue the occupants of these cars. A park spokesman claimed that the car simply "dropped off" its cable."

I know this doesn't have anything to do with Kings Island, but I am thinking that this accident, as well as many others like it, could have something to do with them taking the one at Kings Island down...

Just a thought...

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by Shaft_STL Shaft_STL Profile at 7/12/06 5:27:22 PM

> And weren’t there about 16 people or so killed on the
> King Cobra in the late 80s or early 90s? I swear to you I
> have a memory of my dad telling me about this and
> discussing it with me (we live a few miles from the park)
> but I can't find anything about it anymore!! I thought
> 16-18 people died riding the King Cobra. Or perhaps they
> were just injured? It's been bugging me for a while and I
> can't figure it out nor can I find it anywhere online.

Never happened. If 16 people ever died on a coaster at once, the national - hell world - media would have made such a big deal out of it no one would have forgotten.

That many people dying would mean a total derailment of the train, something that I don't think has ever happened to this day...

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by nanvan at 7/13/06 12:03:12 AM

> I did manage to swipe a still of the Witches Wheel also...

> Name Correcton: Skylab

I loved those pictures-I have been going to KI all of my life and I had forgotten about those rides. Now it's all comming back to me. I still love the Beast. It opened when I was 8 and now I take my 8 year old on it. Too fun. He rode SOB earlier this season also. It was always down. Too bad that happened.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by nanvan at 7/13/06 12:06:49 AM

> i remember the BAT ride...i rode it when i was younger. my
> husband (boyfriend at the time) and i was there when a man
> died on the Bat. we were told that he had fell out from it
> and landed on the tracks. this came from a man that was
> helping his panicked wife out of the park. he claimed they
> saw it happened. we didnt though. hope this helps

> Nope, nobody ever died on the Bat. And while I suppose it
> could be remotely possible, landing on an overhead track is
> very unlikely.

I loved the Bat. That was a fun ride (but Top Gun is a copy cat version)-- how could you land on a track? That's a farce. I heard years ago that a car broke loose and fell-that was probably also a farce.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by JazziP at 7/13/06 12:17:53 AM

Oh My God!!!

I was just at Kings Island July8 and July9 in Cincy!!! I am still shaking my head in disbelief. I rode the Son of Beast that I later named that Son of a "B". That ride was life-threatening. I knew it would be challenging, but I never dreamed I would pray through the entire ride. I am 40 yr old woman with lots of energy and I go to theme parks regularly and have just as much fun as the kids. So accepting the challenge to ride the SOB was no big deal. I even persuaded another family member to ride. As the ride started, I was coaching the kids along and making bets for them to raise their hands, instantly, coming down the first drop, I felt the PAIN...and it was enough for me to realize, I AM IN BIG TROUBLE!!! It felt like the car went off the track as it quickly went into a loop, but it was so much shaking, I couldn't really just dwell on it. As the ride continued, I PRAYED the entire time. I was in so much PAIN, my KNEES were killing me. I thought they would break before the ride ended. Upon each jerk, turn, loop, drop, etc. I felt nothing but PAIN. I was shaking uncontrollably while trying to make sure the kids were ok, too. Finally, they had to console me!!! I just kept PRAYING>>>> When the ride finally ended, I limped off and noticed I had BIG BRUISES on both of my KNEES!! My 13 yr old cousin had cuts on his knuckles. I could not believe what had just happened to me...I was still shaking as I took Tylenol to help me make it through the rest of the day. We sort of shut down and did not want to ride anything after the SOB. By the time we left the park, my 12 year old son started complaining about a headache. The next day, I did not ride any rollercoaster that locked my knees in...I was very selective with other rides. I was still shaken as I noticed how uneasy I was on the Tomb Raider. Turning upside down sent me into a frantic and I started PRAYING>>>>>>>again. So, I just stopped riding cause I was scared. Get this, while we were at Boomerang Bay, I heard the sirens, and wondered what happened. I did not hear anything about any injuries, but figured someone may have gotten sick or had a heart attack or something natural! As we continued to walk the park, I kept watching the SOB, remembering my rough ride and wondered why it was shut down. The kids had planned to ride it again to compare it with the Beast. Thank God, it was shut down. I am glad the kids did not get a chance to ride it again. I believe the ride was breaking down the day we rode it (Sat) and it just went completely out (Sun) I mean I have been scarred mentally and physically. The kids and I have been rather stiff during the rest of our vacation, but have been resting as much as possible and taking Tylenol. I mean I hadn't even thought that our stiffness may be the result of the SOB until I read other replies. I did not know anything about the others' injuries until I was visiting Gatlinburg. Tuesday(July 11)a woman from Kentucky and I talked about Cincy and she asked if I knew that someone had been killed/injured at PKI. So when I made it back to Memphis, I had to search and found out that something bad had happened. I am still thanking God now for bringing me home with minor injuries. I am going to the doctor to make sure all is well!! and I hope and pray everyone else who has experienced injuries is doing well.

My reply is not to give Kings Island a bad name but to make sure they understand a GREAT park is not one if your VISITORS are not safe!!!

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by crazyyellowwife at 7/13/06 1:47:41 AM

You know I have read many opinions about rides and accidents. Remember ultimately, it is still our own decision to ride these coasters. When we step into those seats and lock ourselves in, we are literally making a choice that may possibly end our life. God forbid that happen to us, but it is the reality of the situation. We actually trust our bodies to different groups of complete strangers who designed, built, and maintain that ride. The way I think of it is, I know there are slackers at every job out there, just imagine if one of them was on the maintinence crew, and just blew something off that he saw...

Now that's the raw truth of it all, but will that stop me from hopping on every one I come to?? Nope...cause if I died I kinda think that would be a cool story to talk about at my funeral! lol..."She died doing what she loved!!"

Please no one get offended, I seem to have a strange way of getting my point across.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by love2all at 7/13/06 8:23:04 AM

> Never happened. If 16 people ever died on a coaster at
> once, the national - hell world - media would have made
> such a big deal out of it no one would have forgotten.

> That many people dying would mean a total derailment of the
> train, something that I don't think has ever happened to
> this day...

I think you're right, that no one got killed on the King Cobra. It made sense to me after I read your message, and thought, "Yeah, hey, that ride would have been GONE if anything like that happened."

HOWEVER.. I wasn't sure WHY I had this false memory of several people being killed. I did some research yesterday and darn it, I can't find the URL today but on one of the coaster sites, there is a record of the King Cobra derailing slightly in 1984, injuring 8 people. That makes more sense and probably is what I remember.. only it somehow twisted itself into a false memory of people dying.

I also had to add one more thing... I asked my husband about the Tuba Player that got struck by lightning. He said he went to our high school (Lakota) and that he did, indeed get struck. He said it was sometime in the early 90s. I still can't find anything about this. The only thing I can find is when some idiot sued Kings Island for getting struck by lightning in their parking lot in 2003. He lived but suffered some injuries.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by Shaft_STL Shaft_STL Profile at 7/13/06 1:36:21 PM

> Oh My God!!!...Prayed, pain, prayed, it's going to kill me,
> pray, pain...I am still thanking God now for
> bringing me home with minor injuries. I am going to the
> doctor to make sure all is well!! and I hope and pray
> everyone else who has experienced injuries is doing well.

This is the type of knee-jerk reaction I'm seeing everywhere. SoB is a rough ride, but the overall roughness had nothing to do with the accident that happened. Given the reports that are coming in, a support *in one specific location of the ride* gave way, causing the pot-hole effect that created the injuries.

SoB wasn't breaking down over a two-day period. It "broke" in an instant, only creating the major problem with one train before the ride was shut down. To the poster, the rougness you felt during your ride was a normal experience on SoB, one that many other guests have felt and complained about in the past. It's no wonder that the ride is loathed by many.

It's certainly not good that people were injured on the ride. I feel bad for anyone who goes to an amusement park for a day of fun and has it cut short by an accident like this one; one that was completely out of the hands of the riders for a change.

People are coming out of the woodwork claiming to have known that SoB was broken, whether they rode it the day of the accident or two years in advance. The truth of the matter is that the ride was only broken for one train, and one precise moment in SoB's history.

...and God must have really had it out for those 27 on board, since he didn't save them all from injury. They must not have prayed hard enough.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by snoozypooh snoozypooh Profile at 7/13/06 1:52:42 PM

> You know I have read many opinions about rides and
> accidents. Remember ultimately, it is still our own
> decision to ride these coasters. When we step into those
> seats and lock ourselves in, we are literally making a
> choice that may possibly end our life. God forbid that
> happen to us, but it is the reality of the situation. We
> actually trust our bodies to different groups of complete
> strangers who designed, built, and maintain that ride. The
> way I think of it is, I know there are slackers at every
> job out there, just imagine if one of them was on the
> maintinence crew, and just blew something off that he
> saw...

> Now that's the raw truth of it all, but will that stop me
> from hopping on every one I come to?? Nope...cause if I
> died I kinda think that would be a cool story to talk about
> at my funeral! lol..."She died doing what she
> loved!!"

> Please no one get offended, I seem to have a strange way of
> getting my point across.

I am so NOT offended! In fact, I totally agree with you. It is OUR decision to ride the coasters, even knowing that something could go wrong, and we could die! Which is why I get so upset when I hear about all the lawsuits!! I have totally informed my family that I will come back to haunt them - and it won't be pretty - if any of them even try to file a lawsuit in the event of my death on a rollercoaster - or any other thrill ride, for that matter! It is MY choice to ride, and I absolutely know the risk, and I agree to it, and take it. Even if it is a ride malfunction, no matter. I took the risk, and at least I will have died doing something that I loved!!

A couple of years ago, I did a survey for my Social Science class about suing amusement parks, and, surprisingly enough, a majority said they would not sue, but their family members probably would. I told them to let their family members know that they would not want that, and maybe they won't do it...

The Mission: Space (at Epcot, Walt Disney World) lawsuit just burns me up!!: http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/business_tourism_aviation/2006/06/mission_space_l.html

"One year after a 4-year-old Pennsylvania boy died after riding Epcot's Mission: Space simulator ride, his family has sued Walt Disney World for wrongful death.

The family of Daudi Bamuwamye sued the company Tuesday in Orange County Circuit Court seeking unspecified damages. The suit says company officials did not adequately warn the public of the ride's hazards, should never have allowed a boy so small onto the ride and didn't do enough to help him when he got off the ride stricken.

In May, Disney revised the ride to also offer a "lite" version that does not include centrifugal force. But the company has always maintained, and still insists, that the original version is safe.

A Disney spokeswoman denied all the assertions in the suit Tuesday and offered the family sympathy.

While on vacation, Daudi, his sister Ruth and their mother rode Mission: Space on June 13, 2005. During the ride, Agnes Bamuwamye saw her son tense up, scream and then become unresponsive. When the ride ended, paramedics and later doctors at Florida Hospital Celebration were unable to resuscitate him.

An autopsy by Dr. Jan. C. Garavaglia, chief medical examiner for the district that includes Orange and Osceola counties, found that Daudi died of a heart attack caused by a rare, previously undiagnosed heart disease that gave him an enlarged heart flawed with scar tissue."

Forgive me, but his mom and sister were with him, and the boy met the height requirements, so what the heck seems to be the problem, here? If, as they state, the Disney employees had indeed decided that this boy was too small to ride, I am sure his mom would have been upset, because the boy obviously wanted to ride it or he wouldn't have been in line in the first place...
And the autopsy discovered that he died of a heart attack caused by a rare, previously undiagnosed heart disease that gave him an enlarged heart flawed with scar tissue. If this is the case, I don't think the employees could have done anything for him at all, seeing as how they are "employees" and NOT "doctors." Heck, from the sounds of it, even doctors couldn't have done anything for him either, so the lawsuit is totally frivolous!!
While I am sympathetic to the family - no one deserves to lose their 4 year old child - a lawsuit is not going to bring him back. I really do hope that they drop this stupid lawsuit, or, if they don't, the judge sees that it is frivolous and dismisses it.
Another thing that I find to be irritating, is that I, myself, went on Mission: Space just last month and found it to be quite boring!! Yes, I was in the orange/red - spinning - one. I got off the ride totally thinking, "WHAT! Is that all!! And people died after riding THIS!!! NOT!!!"
So, please let your families know that you do NOT want them to file a lawsuit if you should happen to die on a roller coaster or thrill ride...
Thanks,
Snoozypooh

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by RobLec RobLec Profile at 7/13/06 5:01:48 PM

> some idiot sued Kings Island for getting
> struck by lightning in their parking lot in 2003.
>

Sure sounds like an "act of god" to me. I guess he couldn't sue mother nature so he sued PKI. After all, they do control the weather, don't they? (grin)

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/13/06 8:34:37 PM

> Oh My God!!!...Prayed, pain, prayed, it's going to kill me,
> pray, pain...I am still thanking God now for
> bringing me home with minor injuries. I am going to the
> doctor to make sure all is well!! and I hope and pray
> everyone else who has experienced injuries is doing well.

> This is the type of knee-jerk reaction I'm seeing
> everywhere. SoB is a rough ride, but the overall roughness
> had nothing to do with the accident that happened. Given
> the reports that are coming in, a support *in one specific
> location of the ride* gave way, causing the pot-hole effect
> that created the injuries.

> SoB wasn't breaking down over a two-day period. It
> "broke" in an instant, only creating the major
> problem with one train before the ride was shut down. To
> the poster, the rougness you felt during your ride was a
> normal experience on SoB, one that many other guests have
> felt and complained about in the past. It's no wonder that
> the ride is loathed by many.

> It's certainly not good that people were injured on the
> ride. I feel bad for anyone who goes to an amusement park
> for a day of fun and has it cut short by an accident like
> this one; one that was completely out of the hands of the
> riders for a change.

> People are coming out of the woodwork claiming to have
> known that SoB was broken, whether they rode it the day of
> the accident or two years in advance. The truth of the
> matter is that the ride was only broken for one train, and
> one precise moment in SoB's history.

> ...and God must have really had it out for those 27 on
> board, since he didn't save them all from injury. They must
> not have prayed hard enough.

Hey, ShaftStL...thanks for being a voice of reason and sanity in the midst of this thread which has gone wildly astray from its original subject.

Mike

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by Shaft_STL Shaft_STL Profile at 7/13/06 8:52:14 PM

> Hey, ShaftStL...thanks for being a voice of reason and
> sanity in the midst of this thread which has gone wildly
> astray from its original subject.

Isn't it amazing how long this thread has lasted and morphed into SoB's incident? No one died, and there's another thread dedicated to the accident. Enough is enough!

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by pkisuks at 7/17/06 5:17:32 PM

I had to comment on the gay day thing.
I work Security at PKI. Gay Day USED to just happen during the year at whatever time I don't know. Most of the time if not all of the time the Gay people would wear red shirts.
Well.... some of these people... just some... were pretty weird and upset some guests. Plus you had alot of guests that were just anti-gay or whatever.
To solve the problem PKI started Gay Pride Night. Which is closed to the General Public.. meaning anti-gay people.
What this had to do with one of my fellow Security Officer's death in a pond while trying to save to life of a guest is beyond me.
A little info.
It came over the radio that a guest was shocked and laying in the pond. The Theme Park Officer heard 'shot'. So he jumped in.
He was killed.
Personally I don't remember hearing about a third guy nor did I ever hear that a guest pulled them out of the pond. Sounds like a pretty strange thing to do... stick your hand in water where two people or three just got electrocuted. But whatever.
I guess I could ask around at work. Quite a few of my bosses worked there then and now and new the officer. We are told all the time that we are not Police Officers and we should never put ourselves in danger and this being one of the main points.
I can't remember the whole story word for word, it has been two years since I heard it. But the conference room named after the officer is in Security/Admissions operation building close to the front right across from the counsil room with all the cameras. Get arrested and you may see it... you may not.
Nobody died on the Bat.
Nobody died on the King Cobra.
Someone was killed on the Safari but I heard different stories. I don't know which one is true.
I heard someone got killed on the tower and that it had something to do with the elevator.
Never heard of anyone getting hit by lightning but who cares really.
The woman on Flight Commander that died the same days as the others was intoxicated in some manner. In the end it was her fault and not the park's.
As for not sueing a park if you get hurt or killed on a ride well that is just stupid. There is a thing called Neglegence. It is a Legal reason to sue someone if they knowingly did not do what they were supposed to do to make a ride safe.
Why wouldn't you sue. King's Island sued the builders of the Son Of Beast. Exactly why I don't know, you'd have to ask them. So you are telling me you wouldn't sue King's Island? CBS? Or now Cedar Fair? That makes no sense. If they know the ride is not safe then they need to get rid of it like they did all the other crappy rides they had like the bat.
But I heard they spent 20 million dollars on the SOB so that may play a large part as to why they don't turn it into tooth picks.
Also since King's Island became Paramount it has sucked. And now that Cedar Fair has bought it.... things are very weird there with all types of people getting fired for weird reasons.

Wait and see.....

> post.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by pkisuks at 7/17/06 5:23:32 PM

I know I spelled Negligent wrong I was typing fast. But this is why in most cases people SHOULD sue a Theme Park.
Negligence... Failure to exercise the degree of care considered reasonable under the circumstances, resulting in an unintended injury to another party.

> post.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by RobLec RobLec Profile at 7/18/06 11:03:46 PM

> post.

See link to article below:

Prior accidents at Kings Island

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by KatieD0408 KatieD0408 Profile at 7/19/06 10:38:50 PM

> See link to article below:

>

This link mentions nothing about the employee that was killed in the Safari area...
Did that really happen??
Katie D

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by RobLec RobLec Profile at 7/20/06 4:23:44 PM

> This link mentions nothing about the employee that was
> killed in the Safari area...
> Did that really happen??
> Katie D
>

Yes ... in fact if my memory is correct there is an account elsewhere in this thread from a co-worker who details the radio calls of the day. I think the newspaper article focused more on accidents involving guests.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by edgewoodcougar2009 at 7/20/06 8:17:59 PM

Regarding The july 7, 2006 Son Of Beast Accident.. Here Is The Offical Report Coming From 9News. Its Long But, It Gives All Required Information On The Mishap.

Reported by:
Lance Barry, 9News, Deb Silverman
Web produced by:
Neil Relyea, Mark Sickmiller
Photographed by:
Chic Poppe, Eric Clajus
First posted: 7/9/2006 5:34:33 PM
Last updated: 7/10/2006 6:23:23 PM
Cracked and splintered wood may have caused the roller coaster accident that injured 27 people at Kings Island Sunday afternoon, according to a preliminary investigation.

The Department of Agriculture, along with state and industry experts were investigating the wooden coaster "Son of Beast" on Monday, trying to find out what caused a train full of passengers to jolt to a halt around 4:45 p.m. Sunday.

Two people remained in the hospital Monday, suffering from injuries described as not life-threatening. At least 25 others were treated and released Sunday.

Monday's preliminary investigation revealed that timbers were cracked and splintered on a downward hill about halfway through the ride. The jolt happened shortly after the train passed over those faulty timbers, 9News learned.

"Everything was fine until it felt like everything jammed forward," said Weldon Shaffer, who was on the "Son of Beast" when the accident happened.

Structural damage causes ten percent of roller coaster accidents, a public relations spokesperson told Channel 9's Deb Silverman.

Investigators still say they're not ruling any other causes out, such as operator error.

"Son of Beast" has been closed since the accident and might remain closed for as long as six weeks while the investigation continues.

Sunday at the park

The park remained open Sunday even though the ride had been shut down. Empty cars could still be seen suspended on an incline going up the roller coaster's track.

Witnesses say they saw the roller coaster stop with a "bump," like a car coming to an abrupt stop.

Several rescue squads were called to the amusement park which is just off I-71 in Warren County.

Dozens of EMS units from Hamilton and Warren counties as well as local townships took people to Bethesda North Hospital in Montgomery where the staff was on "high alert."

Seventeen riders had been released from hospitals within five hours of the accident and at least one had been admitted with injuries that weren't life-threatening, Maureen Kaiser, a spokeswoman for the park said.

However, 9News learned that the people admitted were being kept at the hospital overnight.

Twelve people were taken to Bethesda North Hospital and 10 were taken to Bethesda Medical Center in Lebanon, said Mona Fuqua, a spokeswoman for both hospitals.

Witnesses and park officials

While the ride has been shut down pending an inspection, Kings Island officials are not commenting on why the ride was at first not operational when the amusement park first opened Sunday morning.

"Why it didn't open directly with the park, I don't have the answer to that," Kaiser said at the Sunday night press conference.

Some visitors claimed they experienced an abnormally bumpy ride even before the ride's apparent malfunction Sunday afternoon.

"I know for a fact that our car jumped tracks," Frank Nitty, a park visitor told 9News. "It jumped the tracks, we all jumped."

Kings Island has reportedly seen three malfunctions with the "Son of Beast" roller coaster since it opened six years ago, but none this serious.

The park filed a lawsuit against the ride's builder before it opened, stating it was structurally unsound.

"Bumps and bruises"

"At this point, we're looking at bumps and bruises," she said.

Several others were taken to Mercy Hospital of Fairfield, a sheriff's dispatcher said.

A nursing supervisor at the hospital declined to describe their conditions or even confirm park patrons were brought there.

9News was told many of the passengers complained of head and neck injuries.

Fastest wooden coaster on earth

The park's website describes the roller coaster as "the tallest, fastest and only looping wooden coaster on the planet" that hurtles down a 214-foot hill at more than 78 mph.

The coaster, more than 7,000 feet long, features a 118-foot tall loop.

Kaiser said park officials have shut down the Son of Beast roller coaster and are examining it.

Investigators with the Ohio Department of Agriculture's ride safety division also were planning to examine the ride, she said.

Riders complained of discomfort after the coaster completed a circuit and pulled back into the boarding area, said Kaiser.

The park's emergency staff tended to the riders and notified authorities, Kaiser said.

A sheriff's office dispatcher said most had minor chest and neck injuries.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by edgewoodcougar2009 at 7/20/06 8:20:53 PM

Also. I May Add That I Live 15 Minutes From PKI And Somebody had posted about the son of beast getting stuck on a hill when it first opened. This Is In Fact 100% Correct

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by KatieD0408 KatieD0408 Profile at 7/26/06 10:08:50 PM

> This link mentions nothing about the employee that was
> killed in the Safari area...
> Did that really happen??
> Katie D
>

> Yes ... in fact if my memory is correct there is an account
> elsewhere in this thread from a co-worker who details the
> radio calls of the day. I think the newspaper article
> focused more on accidents involving guests.

I've looked all over the 'net for something on this, and can't find anything. Does anyone have something on it?

Thanks
Katie D

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by Shaft_STL Shaft_STL Profile at 7/26/06 10:56:07 PM

look through this whole thread...SURPRISE...your answer awaits

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by KatieD0408 KatieD0408 Profile at 7/28/06 11:04:06 AM

> look through this whole thread...SURPRISE...your answer
> awaits
I looked through the whole thread...
Apologies,
I should have been more specific, I am looking for an actual NEWS article.

Katie D

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by Jena at 7/31/06 7:24:55 PM

> My husband and I were at PKI this weekend for Spirit Song.
> The coaster was closed most of the day on Friday. We road
> it shortly after it reopened. The ride was extrememly
> rough. I expected a good bit off jostling because it was a
> wooden coaster, but this was a bit much. At one point my
> husband groaned in pain because of an abrupt change in
> vertical motion. Also there was one point where we seemed
> to be airborne then we were jerked quickly left and then
> right the track felt like it had about 6 inches of play on
> each side when that happened. That is one foot total. It
> did not feel secure on the track. Wood is not meant to take
> that kind of shaking without falling apart. After getting
> off the coaster my husband and I were silent for a moment.
> I looked and him and said, "I don't think that was
> right." He replied, "Yeah, I don't think we'll
> ride that one again. It could be a good ride, but something
> is wrong with it." I developed a bruise on my left
> shoulder shortly there after.
> We love coasters but something was definately wrong with
> this one. I won't ride it again.

OMG!!!...we (my family and i) were there for spirit song too. we've gone every year since 2002. but back to the real subject. we rode SON OF the day before it shut down and it seemed pretty jerky, like, more jerky-er than it usually is. ever since they shut it down there have been about a billion security people standing around the entrance and fences guarding it. but if it does re-open next season, i'll DEFINITELY ride it again cause i'm a rollar coaster freak!! i've ridden every ride in the park about 17 kajillion times!!

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by Taylorboi72 at 8/1/06 11:12:42 PM

I used to be a security guard at PKI. It was Pride day when the two men died. The Beir Garden used to have a fountain close to the pathway. There was a Faulty wire that caused that pond to be electrified. A park guest tried to splash his friend from the water coming out of the fountain and fell in the pond. Instantly electrified. The second guy was a park security guard and thought he heard on his walkie that a man had been shot instead of shocked. When he arrived on the scene he saw a person doing the dead mans float. so he jumped in to help and was killed too. The girl was very intoxicated and tried to free herself from the Flight Commander ride out of fear. She succeeded while th ride was upside down and fell to the ground. She bounced they said. This info was told to us during our training as a guard. One of the news reporters at the time reporting on this was Jerry Springer. TRUe. I saw the news cast.
Back in the 1970's.. during gtrad night. An intoxicated gueast walked up the stairs of the Eiffel tower. It was night and dark. When he climbed up into the top housing area, he got disoriented and leaned over to look down to see. Just as he did, the counter weight picked him up and dragged him through the rollers at the top. His parts fell to the groung. My old sargent wqas the one who had to help clean up the mess.
> post.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by kathylr at 9/21/06 10:46:54 PM

> This accident happened back in the early 80's.
> ~Josh

This accident happened in summer of 1976. College friends of mine worked at a gift shop at Lion Country Safari (round open-air thatched roof building, don't remember its name.) I traveled from Indiana to KI to see them. They told me a man had gotten out of the monorail and been killed by a lion earlier that day. Of course that attraction was closed but others in the area were operating. I remember a lot of talk that day "on the street" of how this person had to have been drunk, and some grumbling and resentment that the attraction was closed. Also, I thought the attraction closed shortly thereafter, or was significantly changed, but I'm not certain of this.

What stands where the former Lion Country Safari used to be? The park has changed so since then I can't remember.

Kathy

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by ohiofatz at 10/1/06 12:41:09 PM

you sound like you work there anwser this , back around 1984 -1985 i was rinding on the king cobra when 3 of the cars fell off what happened to those people! need more info email me!
> I had to comment on the gay day thing.
> I work Security at PKI. Gay Day USED to just happen during
> the year at whatever time I don't know. Most of the time if
> not all of the time the Gay people would wear red shirts.
> Well.... some of these people... just some... were pretty
> weird and upset some guests. Plus you had alot of guests
> that were just anti-gay or whatever.
> To solve the problem PKI started Gay Pride Night. Which is
> closed to the General Public.. meaning anti-gay people.
> What this had to do with one of my fellow Security
> Officer's death in a pond while trying to save to life of a
> guest is beyond me.
> A little info.
> It came over the radio that a guest was shocked and laying
> in the pond. The Theme Park Officer heard 'shot'. So he
> jumped in.
> He was killed.
> Personally I don't remember hearing about a third guy nor
> did I ever hear that a guest pulled them out of the pond.
> Sounds like a pretty strange thing to do... stick your hand
> in water where two people or three just got electrocuted.
> But whatever.
> I guess I could ask around at work. Quite a few of my
> bosses worked there then and now and new the officer. We
> are told all the time that we are not Police Officers and
> we should never put ourselves in danger and this being one
> of the main points.
> I can't remember the whole story word for word, it has been
> two years since I heard it. But the conference room named
> after the officer is in Security/Admissions operation
> building close to the front right across from the counsil
> room with all the cameras. Get arrested and you may see
> it... you may not.
> Nobody died on the Bat.
> Nobody died on the King Cobra.
> Someone was killed on the Safari but I heard different
> stories. I don't know which one is true.
> I heard someone got killed on the tower and that it had
> something to do with the elevator.
> Never heard of anyone getting hit by lightning but who
> cares really.
> The woman on Flight Commander that died the same days as
> the others was intoxicated in some manner. In the end it
> was her fault and not the park's.
> As for not sueing a park if you get hurt or killed on a
> ride well that is just stupid. There is a thing called
> Neglegence. It is a Legal reason to sue someone if they
> knowingly did not do what they were supposed to do to make
> a ride safe.
> Why wouldn't you sue. King's Island sued the builders of
> the Son Of Beast. Exactly why I don't know, you'd have to
> ask them. So you are telling me you wouldn't sue King's
> Island? CBS? Or now Cedar Fair? That makes no sense. If
> they know the ride is not safe then they need to get rid of
> it like they did all the other crappy rides they had like
> the bat.
> But I heard they spent 20 million dollars on the SOB so
> that may play a large part as to why they don't turn it
> into tooth picks.
> Also since King's Island became Paramount it has sucked.
> And now that Cedar Fair has bought it.... things are very
> weird there with all types of people getting fired for
> weird reasons.

> Wait and see.....

> post.
>

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by spudmonkey at 12/2/06 5:10:44 PM

> post.
I can't believe no one has mentioned the fatalities associated with the long gone sky ride. I found this thread searching for info on this very accident. Please tell me if I'm wrong. I remember hearing this on the news, no stories from friends ect. The news reported that as many as three gondolas were blown off the wire during a severe pop-up storm that obviously involved high wind. The day was a beautiful one, and turned bad in an instant, I think they were in the process of removing the passengers so as to close the ride prior to the accident. I believe it was late afternoon and happened just past the Eiffel Tower going towards Hanna Barbera Land. I remember the ride being closed and was removed the following season reason. I liked the sky ride that's why I remember this. I don't remember hearing another word about it after that. Am I crazy, I don't think I could make this up. I'm sure this was before the Tower fatality. Help!!

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities - no fatalities by RobLec RobLec Profile at 12/2/06 11:38:31 PM

> I can't believe no one has mentioned the fatalities
> associated with the long gone sky ride. I found this thread
> searching for info on this very accident. Please tell me if
> I'm wrong. I remember hearing this on the news, no stories
> from friends ect. The news reported that as many as three
> gondolas were blown off the wire during a severe pop-up
> storm that obviously involved high wind. The day was a
> beautiful one, and turned bad in an instant, I think they
> were in the process of removing the passengers so as to
> close the ride prior to the accident. I believe it was late
> afternoon and happened just past the Eiffel Tower going
> towards Hanna Barbera Land. I remember the ride being
> closed and was removed the following season reason. I liked
> the sky ride that's why I remember this. I don't remember
> hearing another word about it after that. Am I crazy, I
> don't think I could make this up. I'm sure this was before
> the Tower fatality. Help!!

The incident on the skyride did happen, but no one was hurt. Two of the cars got stuck on one of the towers and a third car went crooked when it got pushed up against them. The passengers were evacuated using the ladder on a fire truck. It was scary but no one died.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities - no fatalities by spudmonkey at 12/7/06 8:26:00 AM

> associated with the long gone sky ride.

> The incident on the skyride did happen, but no one was
> hurt. Two of the cars got stuck on one of the towers and a
> third car went crooked when it got pushed up against them.
> The passengers were evacuated using the ladder on a fire
> truck. It was scary but no one died.

Thank you much for clearing this up, I've wondered about this for a long time. I asked my wife if she remembered, and she did, glad no one was hurt. In case anyone wants to know, The tram from The Wild Animal Kingdom is now stationed in front of the locally famous Jungle Jims in Fairfield Ohio. I heard he purchased the ride a while back and had intended to actually make the ride functional operating around his giant grocery store. I don't know if this happened but one entire tram is suspended in the air on track and silohettes (spelled wrong I'm sure) of passengers can be seen in the windows. Just thought it was cool.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by lisamjohnson at 12/7/06 7:47:00 PM

I heard the other day that someone died on Drop Zone. I can't find any info and I am beginning to think that my source is very unreliable.

Also, my brother passed out on Face/Off this past summer after his harness slipped. his friend held onto him for the rest of the ride. Has anyone else had this sort of experience?

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by RobLec RobLec Profile at 12/8/06 8:22:53 AM

> I heard the other day that someone died on Drop Zone. I
> can't find any info and I am beginning to think that my
> source is very unreliable.

Someone died on another giant drop ride, which I think may have been Drop Zone at PGA (I'm not sure if they even have one).

I remember that DZ at PKI was closed for several weeks while the incident was being investigated, and they later added backup restraints - the safety belt that locks onto the OTSR.

The victim was a "special needs" individual who loved the ride and he rode it often. But one day he slipped out of the OTSR and fell to the ground.

I think it was around the same time that another young man died on Shockwave at PKD after slipping thru the restraint while horsing around. The strange thing is that while neither accident happened at PKI, there were similar rides at PKI (DZ and KC) which were shut down after the deaths at other parks.

> Also, my brother passed out on Face/Off this past summer
> after his harness slipped. his friend held onto him for the
> rest of the ride. Has anyone else had this sort of
> experience?

I have personally grayed out on Face/Off several times in the past, because the G force thru the loop drains the blood away from the brain. But I have never heard of the restraints ever releasing on their own. Was that maybe an exaggeration?

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by admirallukehart at 1/6/07 4:58:04 PM

I worked at kings island that time, In HannaBarbera land as a matter of fact. the first aid station is located over there. That night the helicopters came in...it looked like an invasion..and we didnt know what was going on. I left work about 12 that night and had to be back at 6. My best friend, who worked on King Cobra, came in with me and we walked over by the viking ship and flight commander. You can imagine how eerie it was going over there with no one in the park, in pitch black darkness...very spooky. Anyway, Kings Entertainment COmpany (KECO) had already had statements ready when we got there at 5. They were johnny on the spot. Here is what I gleamed from the scuttlebut, and from talking to security friends of mine.

It was redshirt day (Gay and Lesbian Day) at KI and two male redshirts were messing around the wooden fence near the beer garten by the viking ship. one fell in the water, which happened to have a short in a light beneath the water, the second jumped in to save him and was getting electrocuted. Finally, a park officer jumped in and was electrocuted.

Within 15 minutes of this incident, a thin drunk woman fell between her bars on flight commander as it performed a 360 degree roll. I guy i knew who was working there said they all thought a bag had fallen out of the ride at the time. After that, the roll feature on flight commander wouldnt let you go more than 45 degrees, and wouldnt let you maintain that...it would automatically reset your cockpit to vertical.

In response to the electrocutions, KI maintenance went throughout the park and replaced every single receptical with safety recepticals, you know the type that when they get wet, the shut off until you reset them. They rewired the pond as well.

There is some inside info on this, if you check back in to read this.

> post.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities - no fatalities by admirallukehart at 1/6/07 5:00:16 PM

You know most of the buildings and a lot of the animals from Wild animal habitat are now at the Wilds in S.E. Ohio....a breeding center for threatened and endangered animals. www.thewilds.org I worked there for 3 years as an interpretive guide...funny how small the world is because i worked at kings island the last year it was open LOL
> associated with the long gone sky ride.

> The incident on the skyride did happen, but no one was
> hurt. Two of the cars got stuck on one of the towers and a
> third car went crooked when it got pushed up against them.
> The passengers were evacuated using the ladder on a fire
> truck. It was scary but no one died.

> Thank you much for clearing this up, I've wondered about
> this for a long time. I asked my wife if she remembered,
> and she did, glad no one was hurt. In case anyone wants to
> know, The tram from The Wild Animal Kingdom is now
> stationed in front of the locally famous Jungle Jims in
> Fairfield Ohio. I heard he purchased the ride a while back
> and had intended to actually make the ride functional
> operating around his giant grocery store. I don't know if
> this happened but one entire tram is suspended in the air
> on track and silohettes (spelled wrong I'm sure) of
> passengers can be seen in the windows. Just thought it was
> cool.

Re: Parks after hours by RobLec RobLec Profile at 1/6/07 7:20:15 PM

> You can imagine how eerie it was going over there with no one
> in the park, in pitch black darkness...very spooky.

Believe me, I know how VERY spooky it can be. When I worked in maintenance our shop was at the very back of the park, and we couldn't leave to go home until after everyone else had cleared the park.

Usually - usually we would ride up front in a truck, but sometimes we'd be short a truck and have to walk all the way from the back of the park to the front exit in near pitch black darkness with no one else around.

It's not often that a middle-aged man is afraid of the dark, but on those nights I'd bet that just about anything out of the ordinary would have scared the bejeebies out of me.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by florence_kristen at 1/26/07 11:06:48 AM

one time my cousin was on a rollercoaster at kings island and some guy in front of him,his belt came up and he almost fell out of his seat but he survived my cousn said that the only raeson why he was still in his seat at the end of the ride is because he was holding on to his seat as tight as he could,my cousin said that he was so scared that he didnt think he was going to make it,then the next year my friends mom was on the king cobra that they took out and that someone got hung because they were drunk,she said that they were sitting rihgt next to the woman because the woman and her were best friends.she also told us that the womans blood when the girl got hung that it splatered all over her and that was the last time that she rde the ride.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by Shaft_STL Shaft_STL Profile at 1/26/07 12:32:50 PM

Ok...right...I think the blood-splattering hanging would have been chronicled in a newspaper somewhere. There's no credibility to anything you just posted.

By the way, that's possibly the biggest run-on sentence in the history of this board.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by TyBopp231 at 2/3/07 1:41:34 AM

Ya Mike, I too remember seeing that sign and that the same thing to myself. LoL

> Also, when they first decided to put the Drop Zone ride in
> its place they hinted about the ride by putting up a sign
> that said "A new ride is dropping in here soon".
> I remember reading that and thinking it was a bit risque
> since someone had fallen out of the previous ride. Anyone
> else remember seeing this sign? Wish I had a picture of it.
> Then obviously it was removed when the Action Zone was
> decided on as the location.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by TyBopp231 at 2/3/07 1:50:46 AM

> MrPKI

> You're right. I worked at Kings Island (I am unable to put
> the name P******** in front of the park) for 6 years (Until
> 1990) The Bat was removed because they could not guarantee
> operation time. The person killed on the Eifel Tower had
> climed from the 50' deck into the area that one of the
> elevators was going on. He was actually struck by the
> counter balance on the elevator.

Which would make perfect sense as to why they've completly closed off that deck.. I don't see why they couldn't cimply install more caging around the the elevator shafts to prevent people from doing that. I've always thought that they should re-open that part of the tower. It has a larger deck so that more people could enjoy it. I'm sure they could even have people selling stuff up there to make some kind of money. lol

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by TyBopp231 at 2/3/07 2:12:50 AM

Ok, look, all I can say, is one year, my entire family (mom and dads bros and sisters) were in town for a family reunion. My parents figured that it would be a good idea to take everyone to Kings Island (I lived in Mason at the time). The entire family was up for it. After about a hour at the park, we all started to notice a lot of couples, a lot of same sex couples, holding hands, kissing...ect. We didn't think too much of it as the park was very easy going that day. Practically walk-onto every ride. The next day, I went to school and heard from other people that yesturday was gay pride day at Kings Island. So to answer your question, no, anyone can get into the park on "gay day". Gay people have ways of knowing when it's gay day and then they just go I'm sure. Think about how much gay people get ridiculed, all they want is to fit in. I guess this is there way of doing it peacfully.

> I've frequented these boards as a lurker often, but I saw
> some stuff that was said that was just so blatantly
> incorrect, that I couldn't let it go by uncorrected.

> First of all, not that it matters, but it was NOT "gay
> day" (which is actually referred to as GLBTCC night
> and unofficially called pride night).

> I know for a fact that it was not a GLBTCC event because A.
> I know a person who attended the park that day, but that's
> not going to help prove anything to anyone but me, and B.
> GLBTCC events are NEVER during regular season. They are
> always in post season, either after park closes to the
> public, or on a night when the park isn't open to the
> public at all.

> Not to mention, this event is not open to the public,
> tickets must be purchased through special circumstances.

> So either you weren't there, and you're just pulling that
> story out of your butt, or you were there but feel the need
> to throw 'gay day' into the picture.

> Also, it was lighting, not King Cobra wires in the lake,
> but it still was electrocution that caused the fatalities.

>

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by TyBopp231 at 2/3/07 2:17:17 AM

Cool! Thanks for the post, I never knew anything about that!

> I was involved in an accident on the Bat in the early
> eighties. I never saw it run again after that, although it
> may have. There were two sections of the ride where a chain
> carried the cars up a hill. On the second section the train
> hit the chained area and slipped. The chain did not catch
> the cars. The front cars began to loose momentum and slip
> backward, while the cars at the end of the train carried
> momentum and caused the train to buckle on itself. The
> metal at the top of our car had been torn from the track
> and the car was being held by a safety cable. The two cars
> in front of us were actually hanging by the safety cable
> and dangling from the rest of the train. There was a second
> train heading up the first hill, but it stopped before it
> reached the top or would have hit our train. We were told
> later there was a built in safety to keep it from going it
> the first train had not cleared the second hill. We were
> eventually taken down in a cherry picker and led into a
> conference room , where they made sure we were OK. We were
> given a pass to avoid the line on our next Bat ride. The
> fiberglass "bat heads" that adorned the front of
> our car was crushed. As far as I know, nobody was injured.
> But it was a pretty scary feeling.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 2/3/07 1:08:02 PM

This thread is STILL alive?

Mike

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by googleplex616 googleplex616 Profile at 2/3/07 8:16:54 PM

> This thread is STILL alive?

> Mike

Yes, unlike the people that the post was originally referring to.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 2/4/07 8:30:42 AM

> This thread is STILL alive?

> Mike

> Yes, unlike the people that the post was originally
> referring to.
>

Ha Ha!..Good One, Marty!

Mike

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by Mitclipse98 at 2/6/07 7:54:22 PM

> post.

I was just wondering..... what is now in the area where the Lion Country Safari once was? I know of all the other areas we've been talking about, but I wasn't sure about that one. If anyone can let me know, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by RobLec RobLec Profile at 2/7/07 9:52:20 PM

> I was just wondering..... what is now in the area where the
> Lion Country Safari once was? I know of all the other areas
> we've been talking about, but I wasn't sure about that one.
> If anyone can let me know, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Most of it is still empty. It has become a junk yard for old trams, machinery and such.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by futant462 at 2/15/07 4:51:38 PM

This is the longest damn thing I have ever read...

I had heard from cousins who lived 10 minutes from KI that the Skylab ride was taken out because it stopped while it was in it's vertical position. Thus, it caused riders to basically smash into the ceilings of their personal cars because there were no restraints in them. True or not?

Also, I love SOB but yes...that is a painful ride. I never thought you were allowed to design speedbumps on the tracks of a coaster...who knew?

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by Cbdrz at 3/28/07 2:39:58 AM

> Cool! Thanks for the post, I never knew anything about
> that!

>

Let me say that I'm rather impressed with stories that people create on this page, rather than just letting knowledgeable persons respond to inquiries. Since noone has explained the truths to THE BAT's demise, let me take a few moments of your time with facts. Let me also state that...if one looks hard enough (try Google by typing " "Kings Island" + "The Bat" " that you can easily find fact from fiction with the original developers of "The Bat" : Arrow Dynamics.

Look at :
http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/coasters/history/1980_1990/80s_3.shtml

Look at :

http://www.coastergallery.com/2000/pki53.html

The Bat (Arrow's prototype suspended coaster, which operated from 1981 to 1983) suffered ...unfortunately...from major design flaws. Being a prototype coaster, there are always mechanical mishaps that CAN and DO go wrong.

Read on...

For those who remember riding The Bat (like myself...who was indeed fortunate to ride this amazing creation MANY times), there were many days that I showed up at Kings Island as a Season Pass holder (starting in 1981) only to find that The Bat was shut down, and that it was being maintained.

Some of you may remember the the height of the lift hills. It's unheard of to have a "suspended coaster" around these days with a lifthill that tall. Even Top Gun's lift hill stands on shorter ground, but descends a further "drop" than The Bat did. The best difference was that The Bat had a gradual speed increase that built excitement as it gradually descended and picked up speed. It truly did resemble what the early commercials stated: "...The Bat SOARS...". Anyone remember the animated commercial that left you wondering WHAT THE HECK HAVE THEY CREATED ??????? Even in 1980's season when they were building it...we were all mesmerized by the look and the terrain of The Bat.

Yes...the design flaws :

If you visit the links I included, you'll notice that with Top Gun, the track twists to the right, then to the left, back to the right...and so on... Well, now look at the photos on the internet of The Bat. Notice any differences? The track stays rathe parallel to the ground throughout most ALL of the entire ride...with very MILD angles on abrupt turns at most.

Design flaw #1 - The shocks on the trains (found just behind each car of the train - yellow in color) would fail miserably, and fast). They wouldn't last...requiring constant repair/replacement = $$$$$$$$$$

The shocks would have to over-compensate all of the banking turns and swaying motions throughout the entire ride. Any of you who rode it would remember...without a doubt...the LOUD BRAKES just before entering the woods shortly after the 2nd lifthill : These were added to slow the trains down so they wouldn't travel too fast through some of the sharp turns at the higher speed points of the ride. The designers at ARROW DYNAMICS really set the ride up nicely in that they took the riders for a great ride from the 1st lifthill, then STILL gave the riders yet another climactic surprise after the 2nd...genious!!!!

Design flaw #2 - I already mentioned it...THE TRACK. It needed to have the "banking of turns" built in to relieve the shocks. Now, it would've meant that ARROW would have had to replace SO much of the track to improve the design that it may not have been feasible. After all, at this point in 1982's season, they'd already spent more $$$$ than ever imagined on this 1 ride...just didn't make sense (or cents).

Design Flaw #3 - Arrow Dynamics routine. Since mistakes like this one were made, Arrow has built prototypes (and other manufacturers have as well) before installation into parks. Smart move!!

***There truly has NOT been any deaths caused by The Bat. It simply had design flaws, became too costly to have designers brought in from overseas to try and study the ride and figure out how to improve a ride that was fated to falter.. The upkeep outweighed the profits, and Kings Island was smart to dismantle a feature attraction that got peoples hopes up.

***Things most remembered about The Bat :

1 - The feel of nothing below you (in 1981...this was THE COOLEST THING EVER). If you can imagine being up in the air higher than Top Gun in a bucket-type skylift ride and swinging FREELY...what a rush) !!!!

2 - At night - The orange halogen lights that that barely lit up the track from the ground...the ride was IN THE DARK at night. Flying through the breeze and NOT seeing where you're going past 20ft. in front of you....A RUSH !!!!

3 - Swinging SO MUCH that at times it felt as though the train could've flipped all the way around the track...and sometimes felt like it literally "hit itself" with a knocking sound...actually...it probably did.

4 - The FRONT !!!! THE FRONT !!!!

Some of the cement footers from the original BAT track are still standing on the grounds, with very little of the steel columns still attached. Ahhhh...the memories remain.

I was really glad when I heard PKI was introducing another suspended coaster to the park...but have to say...it's NOTHING like THE BAT was...the theme, the darkness...nothing... I do like the speed of Top Gun through the 1st drop and at the end when it gets near SOBeast.

If you visit Cedar Point and ride The Iron Dragon...built 2 years after The Bat was dismantled, you'll see a nice ride that's a "suspended coaster," but it just didn't capture what The Bat had...what The Bat shouldn't have had?????????

There are many pics online if The Bat. Should yo not find them, I can send "working" pics as well as "dormant" pics of The Bat.

Thanks for reading.

http://http://www.coastergallery.com/2000/pki53.html

Re: Kings Island's THE BAT "Suspended Coaster" (1981-1984) by Cbdrz at 3/28/07 2:40:51 AM

> Cool! Thanks for the post, I never knew anything about
> that!

>

Let me say that I'm rather impressed with stories that people create on this page, rather than just letting knowledgeable persons respond to inquiries. Since noone has explained the truths to THE BAT's demise, let me take a few moments of your time with facts. Let me also state that...if one looks hard enough (try Google by typing " "Kings Island" + "The Bat" " that you can easily find fact from fiction with the original developers of "The Bat" : Arrow Dynamics.

Look at :
http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/coasters/history/1980_1990/80s_3.shtml

Look at :

http://www.coastergallery.com/2000/pki53.html

The Bat (Arrow's prototype suspended coaster, which operated from 1981 to 1983) suffered ...unfortunately...from major design flaws. Being a prototype coaster, there are always mechanical mishaps that CAN and DO go wrong.

Read on...

For those who remember riding The Bat (like myself...who was indeed fortunate to ride this amazing creation MANY times), there were many days that I showed up at Kings Island as a Season Pass holder (starting in 1981) only to find that The Bat was shut down, and that it was being maintained.

Some of you may remember the the height of the lift hills. It's unheard of to have a "suspended coaster" around these days with a lifthill that tall. Even Top Gun's lift hill stands on shorter ground, but descends a further "drop" than The Bat did. The best difference was that The Bat had a gradual speed increase that built excitement as it gradually descended and picked up speed. It truly did resemble what the early commercials stated: "...The Bat SOARS...". Anyone remember the animated commercial that left you wondering WHAT THE HECK HAVE THEY CREATED ??????? Even in 1980's season when they were building it...we were all mesmerized by the look and the terrain of The Bat.

Yes...the design flaws :

If you visit the links I included, you'll notice that with Top Gun, the track twists to the right, then to the left, back to the right...and so on... Well, now look at the photos on the internet of The Bat. Notice any differences? The track stays rathe parallel to the ground throughout most ALL of the entire ride...with very MILD angles on abrupt turns at most.

Design flaw #1 - The shocks on the trains (found just behind each car of the train - yellow in color) would fail miserably, and fast). They wouldn't last...requiring constant repair/replacement = $$$$$$$$$$

The shocks would have to over-compensate all of the banking turns and swaying motions throughout the entire ride. Any of you who rode it would remember...without a doubt...the LOUD BRAKES just before entering the woods shortly after the 2nd lifthill : These were added to slow the trains down so they wouldn't travel too fast through some of the sharp turns at the higher speed points of the ride. The designers at ARROW DYNAMICS really set the ride up nicely in that they took the riders for a great ride from the 1st lifthill, then STILL gave the riders yet another climactic surprise after the 2nd...genious!!!!

Design flaw #2 - I already mentioned it...THE TRACK. It needed to have the "banking of turns" built in to relieve the shocks. Now, it would've meant that ARROW would have had to replace SO much of the track to improve the design that it may not have been feasible. After all, at this point in 1982's season, they'd already spent more $$$$ than ever imagined on this 1 ride...just didn't make sense (or cents).

Design Flaw #3 - Arrow Dynamics routine. Since mistakes like this one were made, Arrow has built prototypes (and other manufacturers have as well) before installation into parks. Smart move!!

***There truly has NOT been any deaths caused by The Bat. It simply had design flaws, became too costly to have designers brought in from overseas to try and study the ride and figure out how to improve a ride that was fated to falter.. The upkeep outweighed the profits, and Kings Island was smart to dismantle a feature attraction that got peoples hopes up.

***Things most remembered about The Bat :

1 - The feel of nothing below you (in 1981...this was THE COOLEST THING EVER). If you can imagine being up in the air higher than Top Gun in a bucket-type skylift ride and swinging FREELY...what a rush) !!!!

2 - At night - The orange halogen lights that that barely lit up the track from the ground...the ride was IN THE DARK at night. Flying through the breeze and NOT seeing where you're going past 20ft. in front of you....A RUSH !!!!

3 - Swinging SO MUCH that at times it felt as though the train could've flipped all the way around the track...and sometimes felt like it literally "hit itself" with a knocking sound...actually...it probably did.

4 - The FRONT !!!! THE FRONT !!!!

Some of the cement footers from the original BAT track are still standing on the grounds, with very little of the steel columns still attached. Ahhhh...the memories remain.

I was really glad when I heard PKI was introducing another suspended coaster to the park...but have to say...it's NOTHING like THE BAT was...the theme, the darkness...nothing... I do like the speed of Top Gun through the 1st drop and at the end when it gets near SOBeast.

If you visit Cedar Point and ride The Iron Dragon...built 2 years after The Bat was dismantled, you'll see a nice ride that's a "suspended coaster," but it just didn't capture what The Bat had...what The Bat shouldn't have had?????????

There are many pics online if The Bat. Should yo not find them, I can send "working" pics as well as "dormant" pics of The Bat.

Thanks for reading.

http://http://www.coastergallery.com/2000/pki53.html

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 3/28/07 2:10:09 PM

There've been SEA TORTOISES that haven't lived as long as this thread!

Mike

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 3/28/07 10:37:21 PM

It has been long lived, but you gotta admit that the post above yours ^^ is a great post that spells out what really happened. I think many of those who know, and could have posted, just avoided some of the silliness on this because they felt it wasn't worth justifying with a response.

Heck, I still love hearing some of the ridiculous stories about how people have supposedly died in spots that they never did. Some of it is quite entertaining, as this thread shows. Nice to have a voice of reason here and there also.

My photo albums

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by rcfreak at 4/15/07 8:28:59 PM

> From what i have heard from somone who was there when it
> happened was, that the guest that died on eiffel tower fell
> down the elevator shaft and got decapitated (if thats how
> you spell it)

>
that is the story that i heard too, from someone that was there he said it was edgewoods graduation night class of 79' i belive, he said somebody was drunk and tried too climb too the top, and he did. the he tried to stand on top of the elevator and ride down david (my source) said he was on the 130 foot platform and the guy fell down in pieces cut off his head and both of his arms.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 4/16/07 6:47:44 PM

Oh geesh. Can you at least read teh whole thread? What you repeated didn't happen. Especially not in the way you heard it. But then that's already been said a few times on the thread.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 4/16/07 7:38:01 PM

TIME TO LET THIS THREAD DIE! It's drawn on for too long. apparently people have started to re-post already discussed topics. Just let it go. It's getting to hard to load(especially for us dial-up folks) and no one wants to read all of that anymore.

-Josh, who is putting the unofficial end to this thread.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by definingimage at 4/17/07 11:38:53 AM

ok, lets start from the begining to put this tread away forever. All of my information is 100% true and have the best sources out there. I worked as a ride mechanic in two of the four mech shops at King's Island for 8 years. All of my sources are not from the newspaper or a best friend or cousin etc, but from workers from before the park opened. Guys that help built the park and continue to work there today. so here it is all of the deaths and lies.

1) someone did die by a lion in the safari park
2) No one died on the Bat
3) Someone on grad night did climb up to the 50' platform on the Effile Tower, opened the elevator door, climbed in and got sliced in the cables and counter-weight
4) No one died on King Cobra, yet a wheel spindle did break injuring a few people feet from entering the station.
5) Pride day was originally an open admission day, but was made into a private event day.
6) Two Killed, one associate and one patron,in Swawn Lake. One injured. The reason being one of the patrons turning a sprinkler head, twisting already weakend wires.
7) Same day... A helicopter was called in for the 3 victims. A intoxicated women riding Flight Commander tried to get a look. Wiggled out of the restraint, hit the joystick and flipped out of the cabin
8) No one Died on PKI Drop Zone, but did in fact die on a Drop Zone in PGA.
9) A woman did have a non-related Heart Attack on Top Gun
10)A Tuba player in the parking lot was struck by lighting
11)No one Died on Flight of Fear
12)No one died on the Sky Ride
13)No one died on Sky Lab, even though many have been injured from the result of an E-Stop. (malfunction in a hydraulic bleeder valve)

Well there ya go. No more, No less. if i forgot one, let me know, I'll confirm it. Rule of thumb... if you got a story from your best friend's, cousin's, brother-in-law, it's probably jus a story.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by definingimage at 4/17/07 3:07:37 PM

> one time my cousin was on a rollercoaster at kings
> island and some guy in front of him,his belt came up and he
> almost fell out of his seat but he survived my cousn said
> that the only raeson why he was still in his seat at the
> end of the ride is because he was holding on to his seat as
> tight as he could,my cousin said that he was so scared that
> he didnt think he was going to make it,then the next year
> my friends mom was on the king cobra that they took out and
> that someone got hung because they were drunk,she said that
> they were sitting rihgt next to the woman because the woman
> and her were best friends.she also told us that the womans
> blood when the girl got hung that it splatered all over her
> and that was the last time that she rde the ride.

this was the stupidest thing i've ever heard of. If this were true it would be impossible, you can't reach the person in front of you if your life depended on it. Do you truley believe this??? i mean seriously. if someone really went through either of those, you would be able to find at least one other person to verify this. I know first hand that the park does cover up certain situations, but come on, think before you post

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by RobLec RobLec Profile at 4/19/07 7:47:59 AM

> 11)No one Died on Flight of Fear
> probably jus a story.

No one died *on* Flight of Fear, but was there any fatality during its construction? or just a story?

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by definingimage at 4/19/07 8:40:24 AM

> 11)No one Died on Flight of Fear
> probably jus a story.

> No one died *on* Flight of Fear, but was there any fatality
> during its construction? or just a story?
>

not even during construction, though they were testing it without the track being complete and one of the wheel trucks did come off the track

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by Nocho at 4/19/07 8:41:12 AM

> one time my cousin was on a rollercoaster at kings
> island and some guy in front of him,his belt came up and he
> almost fell out of his seat but he survived my cousn said
> that the only raeson why he was still in his seat at the
> end of the ride is because he was holding on to his seat as
> tight as he could,my cousin said that he was so scared that
> he didnt think he was going to make it,then the next year
> my friends mom was on the king cobra that they took out and
> that someone got hung because they were drunk,she said that
> they were sitting rihgt next to the woman because the woman
> and her were best friends.she also told us that the womans
> blood when the girl got hung that it splatered all over her
> and that was the last time that she rde the ride.

> this was the stupidest thing i've ever heard of. If this
> were true it would be impossible, you can't reach the
> person in front of you if your life depended on it. Do you
> truley believe this??? i mean seriously. if someone really
> went through either of those, you would be able to find at
> least one other person to verify this. I know first hand
> that the park does cover up certain situations, but come
> on, think before you post
> * This Post Has Been Modified *

I didn't look back to see if I mentioned this in this post already, but it must have been mid 1980's when me and my dad rode the Demon and his harness wasn't locked during the ride. He had to pin himself with his legs during the forward loop, and when we got to the other side he put the harness completely up in the air. He put it back down and said it locked during the backwards loop.

Nothing is impossible.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by definingimage at 4/20/07 9:54:01 AM

> I didn't look back to see if I mentioned this in this post
> already, but it must have been mid 1980's when me and my
> dad rode the Demon and his harness wasn't locked during the
> ride. He had to pin himself with his legs during the
> forward loop, and when we got to the other side he put the
> harness completely up in the air. He put it back down and
> said it locked during the backwards loop.

> Nothing is impossible.
>

even though arrow trains do have a single point failure on their restraints, i don't believe your story in the fact that a harness cannot be latched leaving the station, become unlatched during the ride and then latch itself again later during the ride. The mechanics are not there for that to happen. Not to mention i have rode SOB, the beast, and the racer without a restraint, you won't fall out of a vertical loop, corkscrew yes, but not a vertical.

Re: Paramounts Kings Island Fatalities by edlon523 at 4/25/07 1:13:52 PM

> post.
> Just found this sight and hope this helps.

This was the death of a close family friend and to be a "myth buster" I have to correct you in the assumption that Jack had the "runs" and was found with his "pants down". This is blatantly false information. He was careless in the fact that he often interacted with the lions and had had minor injuries in the past. The accident happened in Aug of 1975 and remember quite clearly the devestation felt by his young widow and his grieving parents. Jack was a wonderful young man, only 20 at the time, that truly loved working with the lions at the habitat. His widow as of last year has never remarried.