Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Vekoma and Arrow steel coasters: How can you tell the difference?

Vekoma and Arrow steel coasters: How can you tell the difference?

Aldo

Posted:
11/9/04 at
5:18:27 AM

I am referring to the sit-down steel looping coasters the both Vekoma and Arrow have manufactured. Did Vekoma make a deal with Arrow to use their track and their trains for their coasters?

If, for example I was not a big coaster fan, and I saw a picture of the Ninja at Six Flags St. Louis how would I know if it was manufactured by Vekoma? It looks just like a coaster that Arrow would manufacter. Or the white looping coaster (forgot the name. its a mirror image of the Dragon Fyre at PCW) at a theme park in Germany, how would I know its manufactured by Vekoma?

Another example, the early standard corkscrew coasters that both companies manufactured. Do I look at their layouts to tell them apart? (Vekoma's versions had a spiral whereas Arrow's was just the corkscrews)

Is there anyone who knows how to tell which coaster was manufactured by which company just by looking at it?

Re: Vekoma and Arrow steel coasters: How can you tell the difference? by Aldo at 11/9/04 5:26:39 AM

>Or the white looping coaster (forgot the name. its a >mirror image of the Dragon Fyre at PCW) at a theme >park in Germany, how would I know its manufactured by >Vekoma?

Its the Big Loop at Heide Park

Re: Vekoma and Arrow steel coasters: How can you tell the difference? by loriu loriu Profile at 11/9/04 8:58:50 AM

> I am referring to the sit-down steel looping
> coasters the both Vekoma and Arrow have
> manufactured. Did Vekoma make a deal with Arrow
> to use their track and their trains for their
> coasters?

> If, for example I was not a big coaster fan, and
> I saw a picture of the Ninja at Six Flags St.
> Louis how would I know if it was manufactured by
> Vekoma? It looks just like a coaster that Arrow
> would manufacter. Or the white looping coaster
> (forgot the name. its a mirror image of the
> Dragon Fyre at PCW) at a theme park in Germany,
> how would I know its manufactured by Vekoma?

> Another example, the early standard corkscrew
> coasters that both companies manufactured. Do I
> look at their layouts to tell them apart?
> (Vekoma's versions had a spiral whereas Arrow's
> was just the corkscrews)

> Is there anyone who knows how to tell which
> coaster was manufactured by which company just by
> looking at it?

You can tell by looking at the cross ties by the spine of the track.

This is Arrow track http://www.rcdb.com/installationgallery296.htm?Picture=4

This is Vekoma track http://www.rcdb.com/installationgallery40.htm?Picture=4

If you look closely at the ties that connect the rails to the spine, the Vekoma goes straight to the spine in a V shape. The Arrow goes straight to the spine but then flattens a little bit before connecting to the spine. Kind of like \_ It's not much of a difference but it's there if you look close.

Re: Vekoma and Arrow steel coasters: How can you tell the difference? by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 11/9/04 10:17:26 AM

WOW! That is paying attention to detail.

Re: Vekoma and Arrow steel coasters: How can you tell the difference? by Pete_C at 11/9/04 10:41:03 AM

All you have to do is ride it. If you get a headache it's an Arrow. If you get a concussion it's a Vekoma.

Pete

Re: Vekoma and Arrow steel coasters: How can you tell the difference? by sparky sparky Profile at 11/9/04 10:48:48 AM

> All you have to do is ride it. If you get a
> headache it's an Arrow. If you get a concussion
> it's a Vekoma.

Perfect answer. Brochure material.

-sparky

Re: Vekoma and Arrow steel coasters: How can you tell the difference? by Spyder Spyder Profile at 11/9/04 11:27:22 AM

I would have to say that Vekomas really aren't THAT bad. Its usually the Arrows that almost kill me. Vekomas seem to be less rough.
-DAN

Re: Vekoma and Arrow steel coasters: How can you tell the difference? by tzilacatzin at 11/9/04 10:07:07 PM

It is my impression that if it is big and green and doesn't ever run, it is a Vekoma. If it sits in pieces in the employee parking lot, it is an Arrow.

I miss you Shockwave.

Re: Vekoma and Arrow steel coasters: How can you tell the difference? by chillforce chillforce Profile at 11/9/04 11:41:43 PM

> WOW! That is paying attention to detail.

You have to watch Lori, she just rocks.
>

Re: Vekoma and Arrow steel coasters: How can you tell the difference? by AL_W_ at 11/10/04 12:44:18 AM

> All you have to do is ride it. If you get a
> headache it's an Arrow. If you get a concussion
> it's a Vekoma.

> Perfect answer. Brochure material.

> -sparky

LMAO! Can't top that, Mark! Perfect, indeed!
Al W.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com

Re: Vekoma and Arrow steel coasters: How can you tell the difference? by Link Link Profile at 11/10/04 9:51:08 AM

Pee on it.

If it turns green or red, it a Vekoma.

If it turns blue or yellow, then it is an Arrow.

If it turns a funny shade of purple, then you're expecting. Congrats.

Re: Vekoma and Arrow steel coasters: How can you tell the difference? by katiecoasterfreak at 11/10/04 10:24:26 AM

> Pee on it.

> If it turns green or red, it a Vekoma.

> If it turns blue or yellow, then it is an Arrow.

> If it turns a funny shade of purple, then you're
> expecting. Congrats.

OMFG Link, you have made my day. But if you pee on an arrow and it turns green you get a morgan......(PR)!

Katie

Re: Vekoma and Arrow steel coasters: How can you tell the difference? by TeknoScorpion at 11/20/04 5:06:19 AM

That was funny, Katie! And if it turnes Green, then it automatically becomes one of the best coasters evar.com!

I can usually tell a difference in the layout, except in the cases where Veko used Arrow layouts, and then you have to look @ Track Ties. Morgan is actually alot easier to spot than Arrow or Veko, as the ties, though similar, are different enough to tell, as you can see in different pix of the same coaster here:(Morgan's extension of the Drop on PR)http://www.rcdb.com/installationgallery123.htm?Picture=3

And here:(Arrow's drop outta the station)http://www.rcdb.com/installationgallery123.htm?Picture=20

Re: Vekoma and Arrow steel coasters: How can you tell the difference? by HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile at 9/5/13 10:30:24 PM
Pete_C said:

All you have to do is ride it. If you get a headache it's an Arrow. If you get a concussion it's a Vekoma.

Pete

Necrobump. Because this quote deserves a necrobump. Personally i've not ridden to many Vekomas, at least since I started caring, but i got a good chuckle from this!

Re: Vekoma and Arrow steel coasters: How can you tell the difference? by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 9/9/13 12:09:21 AM
This reminds me of my first trip to SFOG a few years ago - my friend and I passed on riding Ninja because we thought for sure it was an Arrow (the notion that it might be a Vekoma instead never crossed our minds) and it was hot and we were both tired and weren't interested in incurring a bad headache. I can normally tell the difference between the two but we never got close enough to Ninja for me to be able to spot the difference. But as it turned out, it would have been a "headbanger's ball" either way!
Re: Vekoma and Arrow steel coasters: How can you tell the difference? by HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile at 9/11/13 1:54:02 PM
Schrecken said:

This reminds me of my first trip to SFOG a few years ago - my friend and I passed on riding Ninja because we thought for sure it was an Arrow (the notion that it might be a Vekoma instead never crossed our minds) and it was hot and we were both tired and weren't interested in incurring a bad headache. I can normally tell the difference between the two but we never got close enough to Ninja for me to be able to spot the difference. But as it turned out, it would have been a "headbanger's ball" either way!

\m/ \m/

We will likely hit Disney Hollywood Studios on our upcoming honeymoon. I'm curious about the Aerosmith coaster. Seems unlikely that Disney would put in a really rough steel coaster, but equally unlikely that vekoma would build a really smooth looper. That may be a topic for a different thread. Either way, i'll be riding it.

Re: Vekoma and Arrow steel coasters: How can you tell the difference? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/12/13 2:04:58 AM
^^^Congrats on the marriage. I rode Rock'n'Roller Coaster way back in 06' and didn't notice any roughness; Maybe seven years ago is too long of a hiatus to judge how smooth or rough that ride is now. Ironically another Orlando coaster built in 99' Incredible Hulk used to be smooth, but now is rough as hell.
Re: Vekoma and Arrow steel coasters: How can you tell the difference? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/12/13 1:43:48 PM
I don't think I had any issues with Rockin rollercoaster either. It was at least smoother than FOF, but that's not really saying very much.

Hulk, I think it's once the train goes around the launch tube, that's were it starts to get bad. Not horrible, but could be better. First half is tolerable for me.