Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Cedar Point's Jumbo Jet

Cedar Point's Jumbo Jet

Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile

Posted:
7/18/04 at
10:20:29 PM

Hello everybody!

i was wondering why CP had decided to get rid of their jumbo Jet back in the seventies? Second of all, would anyone know where it is now? Cheers!

Tim.

Anton Schwarzkopf Site

Re: Cedar Point's Jumbo Jet by Timber-Rider at 7/18/04 11:35:15 PM

Cedar Point has had a lot of coasters in it's history.
The Jumbo Jet was one of several coasters the park no longer wanted.

I think the Jumbo Jet was replaced by the bobsled ride.
(Now Disaster Transport) But, I'm not sure. I have
seen a few pictures of the Demon drop, with Jumbo
Jet in the background. So, I am only assuming.

I think the coaster was likely removed because of it's
age. And, Like other Jumbo Jets. Went to the coaster
graveyard. I think there is only one in the country
that still operates...But the last time I heard that
was in 1991. So...who knows.

Another coaster I wish they would have kept was their
Cyclone coaster. That one looked like it might have been really good! Too bad they demolished it.

Many rides and attractions have met their fate at
the point. Probably more defunct rides than any other
park. Again...I'm only guessing.

I do recall at least two water rides that were removed.
One log flume to make room for the Raptor, and another
to make room for White water landing.

Anyone remember the Mill race?

Re: Cedar Point's Jumbo Jet by chillforce chillforce Profile at 7/19/04 12:08:55 AM

> Hello everybody!

> i was wondering why CP had decided to get rid of
> their jumbo Jet back in the seventies? Second of
> all, would anyone know where it is now? Cheers!

> Tim.

All Parks make decisions on whether to remove a coaster and it is not an easy one. There could have been issues with a coaster, or that the ride just ran its course and was no longer popular. The ride had reached its amortization as far as tax purposes and was expendable. I am sure that if Cedar Point had forseen that there would be no more Jumbo Jets in the US, they would have held onto theirs. But Coney Island had that one and until 2 years ago, was operating, albeit suspectly.

According to RCDB The CP Jumbo Jet went to an unnamed Massachusetts Park and now resides in Beoland Park in Russia. The last US Jumbo Jet was in bad shape on Coney Island was sold 2 years ago and resides I think in China.

Ed

Re: Cedar Point's Jumbo Jet by smholter smholter Profile at 7/19/04 4:31:50 PM

I used to love the Jumbo Jet. Does anyone know where I could find statistics on it? Height? Speed? It seemed intimidating at the time, perhaps due to the 5' height restriction, but I'm guessing it was closer to the size/speed of mouse-ride like the Wildcat than anything built since.

By the way, it was located near the current site of Avalanche Run / Disaster Transport. The Wildcat was in the vacinity, too.

Re: Cedar Point's Jumbo Jet by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 7/19/04 5:13:03 PM

The Jumbo Jet, which I remember but never had a chance to ride as I was too short, was removed in the early 80's. The Wildcat was moved to where JJ was because of the then new Oceana stadium (currently where the diving show is located) took the former location of the Wildcat.

Wildcat was moved to its current location when Avalanche Run debuted in 1985, which at this time, Schwabinchen was moved to where the Rotor used to be and the Bayern Kurve was removed from the park all together (I think it was moved to Valleyfair).

G-Dog

Re: Cedar Point's Jumbo Jet by EuclidBeast at 7/19/04 6:04:51 PM

I just today read a trip report that says that there is an indoor Jumbo Jet that can be ridden at the Great Escape...

Euclid Beast

http://www.zerognetwork.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1805

Re: Cedar Point's Jumbo Jet by Patripman Patripman Profile at 7/19/04 6:35:47 PM

> I just today read a trip report that says that
> there is an indoor Jumbo Jet that can be ridden
> at the Great Escape...

> Euclid Beast
>

It was a sad day when the Jumbo Jet was removed from the park. If anyone has the 1978 edition of Ace Rollercoaster magazine, turn to page 69. I am in the first car of the JJ blue and white stripe shirt. The picture was taken actually in 1976, and I still remember when they were doing the photo shoots because of the opening of Corkscrew.

Here are the stats for JJ.

Builder: Intamin/Schwarzkoph
56 feet high
2,854 feet long
ride time 2 min. 23 seconds

I can still see my mother and father who were into coasters more than anyone I knew ERT'ing on that ride on a day the park was slow. This was and still will be one of my all time favorite steel coasters.

Patripman

Re: Cedar Point's Jumbo Jet by EuclidBeast at 7/19/04 6:58:49 PM

Ok, just wondering what is the difference between the Jumbo Jet and the Jet Star... if there is any...

http://www.zerognetwork.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1805

Re: Cedar Point's Jumbo Jet by CP_Fan_in_Texas CP_Fan_in_Texas Profile at 7/19/04 8:40:05 PM

> Here are the stats for JJ.

> Builder: Intamin/Schwarzkoph
> 56 feet high
> 2,854 feet long
> ride time 2 min. 23 seconds

Thanks for the stats. Its hard to believe it was only 56 feet high. It seemed so huge. But I guess in comparison, it was pretty high for its time.

What a thrill it was. There were no real restraints if I remember right. I remember riding with my parents and hanging on for dear life.

-Gary

My Coaster Photos

Re: Cedar Point's Jumbo Jet by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 7/19/04 11:39:02 PM

What a thrill it was. There were no real restraints if I remember right. I remember riding with my parents and hanging on for dear life.

-Gary

Gazza, even if they did still have the Jumbo Jet, by now CF would have that thing loaded with restraints like lapbars and seatbelts. LOL!
I was on Virtual midway, or PointBuzz as it's called now and I couldn't find any pics of the JJ unlike before.

Tim.

Anton Schwarzkopf Site

Re: Cedar Point's Jumbo Jet by TrickTrack TrickTrack Profile at 7/21/04 3:22:04 PM

"Ok, just wondering what is the difference between the Jumbo Jet and the Jet Star... if there is any... "

The JetStar 1 was the follow-up model to the Wildcat and was the predecessor of the JumboJet/Speedracer. It was actually the very first coaster that was capable of highspeed, banked turns.
The differences are the lower capacity (four seats instead of six, or even coupled cars), a tighter layout and the use of a traditional chainlift.

here:
http://schwarzkopf.coaster.net/OKjetstarGF.htm

The JetStar 2 was already a smaller version of the JumboJet, featured the spiral lift and six-seater cars.

From pictures on rcdb it appears that the ride at the Great Escape is a JetStar 1.

JumboJets were the next big step forward from the JetStars. To me it was Schwarzkops/Stengels biggest success to design a layout that was thrilling for the rider AND the spectator alike.

The whole dramatization of the ride is pure genius. The amazing spiral lift, that offered a longer ride, bigger capacity, bigger suspense and a signature appearance. The drop that seems to crash the cars into the watching crowd and the elegantly tilted loop that sat in the middle of that massive coaster just made peoples jaws drop back in the early seventies.

Its funny that the coaster is not very high, but it seems huge due to the steel frame with the spinning radar dish in the top. Another stroke of showmanship-genius that made a big impact on fairgoers back in the days.

Re: Cedar Point's Jumbo Jet by MarathonRunner MarathonRunner Profile at 7/21/04 10:26:26 PM

It is hard to believe that the Coney JJ has been gone for two years. I must have ridden it on the last season, and that was the first time I rode the CI Cyclone.

You know, the JJ seems much taller than it is due to the lack of restraints. One thing that I can add to this post is that, despite the fact that the CI JJ was said to be in poor shape, it was VERY smooth. It wasn't as thrilling as the Cyclone, but it seemed so smooth and fast.

MarathonRunner

> Hello everybody!

> Tim.

Re: Cedar Point's Jumbo Jet by Catfish at 7/24/04 4:31:38 PM

> It is hard to believe that the Coney JJ has been
> gone for two years. I must have ridden it on the
> last season, and that was the first time I rode
> the CI Cyclone.

> You know, the JJ seems much taller than it is due
> to the lack of restraints. One thing that I can
> add to this post is that, despite the fact that
> the CI JJ was said to be in poor shape, it was
> VERY smooth. It wasn't as thrilling as the
> Cyclone, but it seemed so smooth and fast.

> MarathonRunner

> Hello everybody!

> Tim.
>
The Jumbo Jet was hugely popular when it opened in 1972 but waned in popularity with the opening of Corkscrew and Gemini. I never was big enough to ride it. I think it was a maintence nightmare as well. I always remember it being stuck. It was replaced in 1979 with a new version of the Wildcat with the original going to Valleyfair. I rad once that it was in Mexico City at a park that also has the old Kennywood Laser Loop.

Re: Cedar Point's Jumbo Jet by Jersey_Joe Jersey_Joe Profile at 7/25/04 7:18:26 AM

> It is hard to believe that the Coney JJ has been
> gone for two years. I must have ridden it on the
> last season, and that was the first time I rode
> the CI Cyclone.

> You know, the JJ seems much taller than it is due
> to the lack of restraints. One thing that I can
> add to this post is that, despite the fact that
> the CI JJ was said to be in poor shape, it was
> VERY smooth. It wasn't as thrilling as the
> Cyclone, but it seemed so smooth and fast.

> MarathonRunner

> Hello everybody!

> Tim.
>
> The Jumbo Jet was hugely popular when it opened
> in 1972 but waned in popularity with the opening
> of Corkscrew and Gemini. I never was big enough
> to ride it. I think it was a maintence nightmare
> as well. I always remember it being stuck. It was
> replaced in 1979 with a new version of the
> Wildcat with the original going to Valleyfair. I
> rad once that it was in Mexico City at a park
> that also has the old Kennywood Laser Loop.

You know, reading this thread brought back some great memories of old Jumbo Jets that I've ridden. The most recent, of course, was the one at Coney Island, which thankfully was before it derailed (much like the Wildcat that is now at Williams Grove, when it was at the Steel Pier in Atlantic City, NJ and derailed one week after I rode it and my lapbar malfunctioned!)

It was also a hoot to keep seeing JJ, my initials. I know that Ed has called me a Jumbo Jet on more then one occasion. lol

Anton sure had a way with a ride & sensory experience, didn't he?

Joe

Jersey Joe's Coaster Pages

Re: Cedar Point's Jumbo Jet by Tamara2165 at 8/20/12 11:10:29 AM
Ok I would like to know if anyone knows if this story is true. My Aunt told me when she was at Cedar point back in the 70 with the company she worked for there was a accident on Jumbo Jet where a person stood up during the ride and was beheaded. She told me this story and the next year the ride was gone. I always connected the too and took my Aunt at her word. But I was trying to look it up to see if it actually happenedand I can't find any proof. Does anyone know?