Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > 800 foot coaster?

800 foot coaster?

Mf_St_Crazy

Posted:
6/28/04 at
7:47:15 PM

Dear fellow coaster people,
Ive been obsessed with roller coasters for a few years now and i finally decided to join a forum and i chose this one. Im not in coaster enthusiests or anything cuz i think im too young and i dunno how to get in but thats ok with me for now. Im sad to say that ive only been to 2 parks, Michigans Adventure and Cedar Point. Ive got tons of questions right now and i want to squeeze them all in this one message but i think ill do u guys a favor and only use one: The other day i was talkin to my friend and he told me that he heard of a park in California gettn so ticked off at cedar point for building the dragster that theyre planning to build a 800 foot coaster. I was wondering if anyone else has heard about it. I dont think its true cuz id be too hard to fit or afford it. anyway i really gotta go right now so cya.

Re: 800 foot coaster? by mucciared at 6/28/04 8:13:31 PM

Hi there and welcome to URC! i'm glad you chose this one!! :D well everyone has to start somewhere. I take it you are from the Ohio area. there are quite a few people on this site from there

The park you're thinking about is SFMM (Six Flags Magic Mountain), i don't know specifically if SFMM actually hates CP (they're not really in the exact same market) but there does seem to be some competition over the coaster arsenal and who has the most and the best. Its been argued over and over of which one is better. I doubt they will be building an 800 foot coaster anytime soon, i just don't think its very feasible right now. We still have to reach 500 ft.

well we all look forward to your question, comments, posts, etc and enjoy your time here!

Dan

> Dear fellow coaster people,
> Ive been obsessed with roller coasters for a few
> years now and i finally decided to join a forum
> and i chose this one. Im not in coaster
> enthusiests or anything cuz i think im too young
> and i dunno how to get in but thats ok with me
> for now. Im sad to say that ive only been to 2
> parks, Michigans Adventure and Cedar Point. Ive
> got tons of questions right now and i want to
> squeeze them all in this one message but i think
> ill do u guys a favor and only use one: The other
> day i was talkin to my friend and he told me that
> he heard of a park in California gettn so ticked
> off at cedar point for building the dragster that
> theyre planning to build a 800 foot coaster. I
> was wondering if anyone else has heard about it.
> I dont think its true cuz id be too hard to fit
> or afford it. anyway i really gotta go right now
> so cya.

Re: 800 foot coaster? by Shaft_STL Shaft_STL Profile at 6/28/04 9:39:54 PM

> The other
> theyre planning to build a 800 foot coaster.

No. Not in California...or anywhere.

Stratosphere Tower in Las Vegas did have plans for a coaster / drop tower of that size which was to be attached to the support structure of the tower itself, but they've since been scrapped. Even in that case, it was before Top Thrill Dragster even existed.

Tell your friend he's an idiot.

Re: 800 foot coaster? by CP_Fan_in_Texas CP_Fan_in_Texas Profile at 6/28/04 11:52:04 PM

> The other
> so cya.

Don't ya hate when these parks get "ticked off" at each other ;-)

Can't these parks just get along? Good thing they're separated by a few thousand miles or they might just get into a fight.

Welcome to the board, and yes we use some sarcasm from time to time....

-Gary

My Coaster Photos

Re: 800 foot coaster? by Mf_St_Crazy at 6/29/04 9:37:11 AM

Thanks for the welcome. Actually i live in Michigan about 50 miles east of Michigans Adventure. Around here everyone goes to cedar point. Your not a true Midwesterner if u havnt been there. Ive acually been to CP more than ive been to Michigans Adventure. The only things worth wile there are Shivering Timbers, my favorite coaster, hence the sn, and the water park. I kinda guessed the 800 foot coaster thing was bull. I do still think that Magic Mountains commin up with somethin big, just not that big. But how are they gona fit it? They had to build scream in the parking lot. Hmmmm....

Re: 800 foot coaster? by mondaycurse at 7/6/04 12:50:52 AM

that's a load of bull. TTD was 25 million bucks. this 800 fotter would have to be 50-60 million bucks. only cedar point has nough money to do that
> so cya.

Re: 800 foot coaster? by Timber-Rider at 7/6/04 11:17:32 PM

Hey I'm from michigan too.

I live about 45 miles from Michigans Adventure. But,
haven't been there in a few years. And, you're right
about Shivering Timbers and the water park. The only
good things about it. And, now that Cedar Fair owns it,
the prices on everything have almost doubled.

As for magic mountain getting an 800 foot coaster.
It would take a lot of power to get a train up that
high. But, since they can get an elevator to go up
to the top of the CN Tower in Toronto. Why not a
coaster train? The CN tower is over 1400 feet high.

The drop from 800 feet would be very frightening.
They would probably have to encase the cars with
some kind of mesh to keep things from hitting riders
on the trip down, which would probably be more than 200
miles an hour. Would you ride that?

I like rollercoasters, but, I think I would pass.

Re: 800 foot coaster? by coasterkid coasterkid Profile at 7/15/04 6:53:35 PM

> so cya.

I live in a small town called Altadena which is located next to Pasadena and I have been to cedar point and magic mountain and i got to say mm is better then cp and dont forget hew was the first person to brake the 400 foot so yes it is posible to beat the 500 or even 800 but time will tell.

Re: 800 foot coaster? by In2oblivion at 7/16/04 3:39:44 PM

> I live in a small town called Altadena which is
> located next to Pasadena and I have been to cedar
> point and magic mountain and i got to say mm is
> better then cp and dont forget hew was the first
> person to brake the 400 foot so yes it is posible
> to beat the 500 or even 800 but time will tell.

I think that it will one day be possible to build a coaster that high when the technology advances even further, but at the moment I think 420 feet will remain the highest for a good while, especially in light of recent events at Cedar Point. I also think that you will see a change in Intamin's future products regarding safety befor they start to think about building higher. I would say that B&M arent interested in that kind of height, they tend to go for quirky designs, the only other conteder being S&S who claim to have a design that reaches 425 feet, but again I think they will hold it back now until they are sure it will run effectively.
To build an 800 foot coaster is a massive leap from what we are capable of, it won't happen yet, and maybe not even in my lifetime and I'm 31.

regards all.

In2Oblivion.

Re: 800 foot coaster? by coastermoosh at 7/16/04 6:46:07 PM

OK...time for a reality check.

Dragster is 420 feet tall and only 2,800 feet long. It cost $25 million. It's often asked, "Why is it just a launch, top hat, and brakes?" The answer is that in order to include other elements at that speed they would have to be huge in order to keep the G-forces in line with that people can handle. Other elements = more steel = higher price tag.

So...how much do you think a coaster almost twice the height of Dragster is going to cost? How massive do you think the support structure would need to be? There comes a point when it isn't cost prohibitive to build above a certain height.

Is it POSSIBLE to build an 800 foot coaster? Sure. Will we ever see one? I wouldn't hold your breath.

mOOSH

Re: 800 foot coaster? by Coasterdude02149 at 7/17/04 8:48:15 AM

Just a thought but TTD is one third the height the World Trade center towers were in NYC.

For anybody who ever stood on the outside observation deck-when faced with the reality of a coaster that was two thirds that height, would you honestly get on for a drop that high?

As someone else here said, I love coasters but that's a bit much for me...I'd pass, thanks.

Just my opinion.

Re: 800 foot coaster? by bcoasterman at 7/25/04 10:45:47 AM

> Just a thought but TTD is one third the height
> the World Trade center towers were in NYC.

> For anybody who ever stood on the outside
> observation deck-when faced with the reality of a
> coaster that was two thirds that height, would
> you honestly get on for a drop that high?

> As someone else here said, I love coasters but
> that's a bit much for me...I'd pass, thanks.

> Just my opinion.

I think there are a couple things that would keep the industry from building a coaster of that magnitude. The amount of problems TTD has to fix is the major issue. A park isn't going to invest 50 to 100 million bucks into an 800-foot monster until they can get a 400-foot one to run flawlessly. And even if that is achieved, there has to be a good amount of time before assurance that TTD running good is not just luck (kinda like a bank giving you a loan only after they are 100% sure that you are good for the money). The second problem with an 800-foot coaster which will keep it on the drawing boards for now is that although I would love to ride an 800-foot coaster and consider it a challenge of human endurance to overcome a fear of such heights, the majority of the population will pass on this "too extreme" ride and an investment of this size is too much. I feel that if they can get TTD running smoothly for a couple years (and not kill anyone on it) then we may hear of SFMM working on a 450 or 500 foot coaster and the race to the moon will be on again.

Re: 800 foot coaster? by coastermoosh at 7/26/04 7:03:40 PM

> I feel that if they can
> get TTD running smoothly for a couple years (and
> not kill anyone on it) then we may hear of SFMM
> working on a 450 or 500 foot coaster and the race
> to the moon will be on again.

I beg to differ. It's all about the money. It's not an issue of "Will people ride it?" but "How much will it cost and what is the return on the investment?"

Re: 800 foot coaster? by Shooting_Star at 7/27/04 11:22:02 AM

The poster who mentioned the CN Tower got me thinking. Its elevators have no problems getting loads quickly to the top. Coasters like Locosumo and the Caripro suspendeds utilize vertical lifts. Now if we could only come up with a coaster concept that incorporates a lift tower into the supports for the track - of course! A Chance Toboggan! Yes! A 1,000 foot Toboggan ride spiraling down the CN Tower. Imagine the joy as your roomy, comfortable car roars down the course into the gentle trim brakes spaced every fifty feet along the track, all the while tilted toward the tower so the view will be nothing but concrete for the duration of the drop. Hello rumor department, you heard it here first.

Re: 800 foot coaster? by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 7/27/04 1:59:37 PM

here's the way I think about all of this, even with all the technology, parks build hypers and we love them. There are only two Gigas in the world, Millie and Steel Dragon 2000 in Japan. I would rather not see so much as the height being pushed, but how they make new elements for coasters to thrill us.

Tim.

Anton Schwarzkopf Site

Re: 800 foot coaster? by coastermoosh at 7/27/04 4:11:34 PM

> There are only two Gigas in the world, Millie and
> Steel Dragon 2000 in Japan.

Of which only one [Millie] is currently operating.

Re: 800 foot coaster? by Shaft_STL Shaft_STL Profile at 7/27/04 6:26:38 PM

> Of which only one [Millie] is currently
> operating.

Is Steel Dragon still down after that accident involving a wheel flying off? That has to have been several years ago...anyone remember the details on the incident? I'm at a loss.

Re: 800 foot coaster? by johnh at 7/29/04 9:49:12 AM

> so cya.

I think the industry has gone high enough, I think the industry should consontrate more on reliably

Re: 800 foot coaster? by aerithchylde at 7/29/04 6:27:41 PM

I just performed a small interoffice email poll about riding an 800 foot coaster. The majority is in favor of riding one that tall.

Re: 800 foot coaster? by Mf_St_Crazy at 7/30/04 12:08:07 AM

Ever since I made that first post ive been thinking about ways to make rides safer and faster. One of the biggist problems is bumpiness. On my last trip to cedar point it was cold and rainy and the rides were unbeleivably bumpy. Magnum was hell. Millenium was worse then i ever thought it could get. Soon thats what the dragster will be like. To get rides higher and faster the track would need to be able to bend and flex with the movement of the train. it would also have to be able to handle forces of the train at hight speeds. If the track was too flexible the trains could rip right through it. Speaking of which, what happened to Steel Dragon? I never heard about that. Anyway, THe dragsters problems are partly because the hydraulic launch is such a new and advanced technology. I dont know how accelorators been doing but if its been doing good then maybe the hydraulic lauch just isnt meant for speed like that. Otherwise i dont think getting a ride up an 800 foot hill would be a problem. Another thing to consider is the fact that the dragster was such a huge step up. Before that coasters were rising very gradually and the technology could adapt. Cedar Point just took too big a step. I think i could ride an 800 foot coaster. THe thing that you have to think about is that on the coasters we have now, the trains are a large percentage of the lenght of the drop. On a ride that tall you wouldnt be wiplashed from the top of the hill to the bottom in a few short seconds. it would be a nice, easy, slow drop. Wow i typed a lot. Ive got a lot more on my mind but im really tired and i want to got to bed. Point is there are ways of making a ride that tall and that fast. Some majoir changes and majoir improvements in coasters would have to change. Fortunately ive been thinking alot about the subject and have tons of ideas on how to do it, and i seriously think they could work. Intamin probably already has these ideas and has tested them buy now. Wow that is a long paragraph

Re: 800 foot coaster? by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 7/30/04 9:47:02 AM

Ever since I made that first post ive been thinking about ways to make rides safer and faster. One of the biggist problems is bumpiness. On my last trip to cedar point it was cold and rainy and the rides were unbeleivably bumpy. Magnum was hell. Millenium was worse then i ever thought it could get.

That's your problem right there, it was cold and rainy. Millie doesn't run so good in the cold, and as for Maggie, Arrow coasters, looping or non are extremely rough when it's been raining. Go back when it's warm and you'll see the difference.

Tim.

Anton Schwarzkopf Site

Re: 800 foot coaster? by Shaft_STL Shaft_STL Profile at 7/30/04 10:59:20 AM

> On a ride that tall you wouldnt be wiplashed from
> the top of the hill to the bottom in a few short
> seconds. it would be a nice, easy, slow drop.

What's the fun in that? I don't think there would be anything nice, easy, and slow about an 800 foot drop.

Re: 800 foot coaster? by canadian_coaster at 7/31/04 1:07:19 PM

you guys are all forgeting one thing about this
800ft+ drop.

TERMINAL VELOCITY

that's right TERMINAL VELOCITY

as long as the trains velocity is dependent upon gravity, it probably won't reach speeds over 120 mph, which is that of TTD.

Therefore; it is somewhat possible to have a comforting drop, to those that can handle it, of 120 mph consistantly for like 800 ft.
although that's too much for my blood.

Re: 800 foot coaster? by punkyman at 8/1/04 11:57:22 AM

I was just at Cedar Point. The Top Thrill Dragster was down a number of times during the day. I heard that there was a problem with the train not having enough speed to reach the top on at least one occasion. Mainly due to this fact and not wanting to wait in line for 2 hours for a 15 second ride, we didn't bother to try. Someone metioned earlier that 800 feet was unlikely at this time, particularly after recent events at Cedar Point. Could someone elaborate on this? Has there been ongoing problems with the Top Thrill.
> so cya.

Re: 800 foot coaster? by marmaduke at 8/1/04 3:30:29 PM

> so cya.

> I live in a small town called Altadena which is
> located next to Pasadena and I have been to cedar
> point and magic mountain and i got to say mm is
> better then cp and dont forget hew was the first
> person to brake the 400 foot so yes it is posible
> to beat the 500 or even 800 but time will tell.

No way Magic Mountain is better than Cedar Point. When things are broken down at CP, they are trying to fix them. When they are broken down at MM, there isn't even anybody there to tell you anything about what's going on. Some of the rides at MM were pretty decent, but they can't touch the scream machines at CP.

Re: 800 foot coaster? by Mf_St_Crazy at 8/3/04 11:46:20 AM

> Could someone elaborate on this? Has
> there been ongoing problems with the Top Thrill.

TTD has had tons of problems. Mostly with the launch cable. The cable has snapped on one ohr two occasions. A couple weeks ago the cable frayed sending shards of metal into the chests of four riders. You probly already heard about that. Last year when problems started happening they just blamed it on the fact that its a new ride thats getting broken in. Cedar Point said that by this year the problems should be over, but there not. I dont know why the ride gets stuck sometimes. Normally in the morning when they open the ride up the first train they test doesnt even make it to the crest. The first time i was there when the ride was running the trains only made it over 1 out of 3 times and it continued to run. I dont know how its been doing lately but if you go to Cedar Point again be prepared for the fact that the rides not running

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.