Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Hersheypark & Kennywood...May 7 & 8

Hersheypark & Kennywood...May 7 & 8

Shaft_STL Shaft_STL Profile

Posted:
4/12/04 at
2:52:59 PM

Hersheypark on the 7th of May. Kennywood on the 8th.

Who thinks Storm Runner will be open? General info on the park, tips, etc, would be greatly appreciated. We're also looking for a place to stay in the area...any hotels under $75 would work nicely.

Kennywood tips? We're going to the Pirates game that night so we'll only have the day to experience it. We're staying with friends there so lodging is not an issue.

I'd really just like to get a feel for what kind of crowds to expect and what coasters we should hit first or at what specific times. Thanks again.

Re: Hersheypark & Kennywood...May 7 & 8 by CoasterSue at 4/12/04 3:22:20 PM

According to the season pass newsletter that I received the other day, Storm Runner is opening on Saturday, May 8th.

Sue

Re: Hersheypark & Kennywood...May 7 & 8 by sparky sparky Profile at 4/12/04 4:04:14 PM

> Hersheypark on the 7th of May. Kennywood on the
> 8th.

> Who thinks Storm Runner will be open? General
> info on the park, tips, etc, would be greatly
> appreciated. We're also looking for a place to
> stay in the area...any hotels under $75 would
> work nicely.

> Kennywood tips? We're going to the Pirates game
> that night so we'll only have the day to
> experience it. We're staying with friends there
> so lodging is not an issue.

> I'd really just like to get a feel for what kind
> of crowds to expect and what coasters we should
> hit first or at what specific times. Thanks
> again.

Plan of attack at Hersheypark (provided Storm Runner is up):

1)Head straight to Storm Runner
2)Head out to Midway America to ride Wildcat, Wild Mouse, Lightning Racer.
3)Head up to Minetown to hit Great Bear, stopping to ride Sindwinder and Trailblazer along the way if you choose.
4)Head down the hill into Comet Hollow to hit SDL and Comet

By then, the park's crowd for that day will have arrived, so just do what you want.

Kennywood, like Hershey also has pretty predictable opening day crowd flow. If I were you:

1)Phantom's Revenge
2)Exterminator
3)Pitt Fall
4)Thunderbolt
5)Racer
6)Jack Rabbit

Obviously, this is more coaster oriented. If you see a flat or other attraction you want to hit on the way, by all means, do it.

Both Hershey and Kennywood have one big thing in common in how to attack them- head straight to the back of the park and work fowards.

-sparky

Re: Hersheypark & Kennywood...May 7 & 8 by LakeGeorgeComet at 4/12/04 5:14:31 PM

> We're also looking for a place to
> work nicely.

We stay at the Econolodge in Grantville, it's only 7 miles from the park and MUCH cheaper than anything in Hershey proper....Wer're going the weekend after you and the room is only 54.95 a night for Friday and saturday nights. Check it out and make sure you use the "internet user" rate, it's 10% off.

Jason : )

Have Fun!!

Re: Hersheypark & Kennywood...May 7 & 8 by Shaft_STL Shaft_STL Profile at 4/13/04 8:38:00 PM

Thanks for the advice.

What about food in and/or nearby the parks?

Econolodge looks like a good deal, by the way. Thanks for the heads-up.

Re: Hersheypark & Kennywood...May 7 & 8 by sparky sparky Profile at 4/13/04 11:21:28 PM

Best food at Kennywood IMO is at the cafeteria in the center of the park near the carousel. Good value, good sized portions for the enthusiast in all of us.

As far as "snack food" goes, don't pass up on an order of world famous Potato Patch fries, or a recent Kennywood favorite- roasted corn. The corn can then be spiced up with a variety of different spices that are offered at the stand.

At Hershey, food is a bit more generic, but you can find some good BBQ near the Trailblazer coaster. For desert, wash it down with a Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia cone near the Sidewinder. For the ultimate in desert, though, don't pass up a visit to Chocolate World in the middle of the day when crowds in the park peak. Take the free tour ride, and I would highly advise paying $5 to see the 4-D movie. It is almost on the level of some of the Orlando theme park 4-D shows. In chocolate world, you can purchase large wholesale style boxes of chocolate and candy, or sample some freshly made sweet stuff.

Just east of the park on Hersheypark Drive is a Red Robin restaurant, which is great for a quick bite- they have perhaps the most comprehensive collection of hamburger varieties anywhere!

-sparky

Re: Hersheypark & Kennywood...May 7 & 8 by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 4/14/04 4:49:05 AM

Be aware the parks are quite a distance from one another.

As far as kennywood, I would do Exterminator and Noahs Ark first thing. Enter the park and turn left.

These are the only two huge lines in Kennywood. Everthing else runs about 20 minutes or less.

Hershey is a nice park with tons to do. Be aware that when you get on Lightning Racer, You may not want to get off, Ever :)

Chuck

Re: Hersheypark & Kennywood...May 7 & 8 by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 4/14/04 5:03:44 AM

> Thanks for the advice.

> What about food in and/or nearby the parks?

> Econolodge looks like a good deal, by the way.
> Thanks for the heads-up.

Kennywood has several fast food joints right outside the park but why bother when a chicken strips with potato patch fries meal is only about $6 inside the park and darn good to boot.

Chuck

Re: Hersheypark & Kennywood...May 7 & 8 by freakylick at 4/14/04 12:45:47 PM

but you
> can find some good BBQ near the Trailblazer
> coaster.

I second that..It's one of the pricier places in the park, but it's worth it. If you want a good sit-down meal, just outside the main gate is Pippins which I hear is really good.

Another good thing to hit mid-day is Zooamerica, which is free with park admission.

If Stormrunner is open, you probably want to hit that first, but apparently the media day is scheduled for May 24, so that (along with poor weather delaying testing) leads me to believe that SR won't be open by opening weekend.

Midway America (Location of Lightning Racer, Wildcat, Wild Mouse among other rides) is always the slowest at opening. I would definitely hit the Wild Mouse early. LR always has good short lines, so don't be afraid to go back there for re-rides...they will be worth it!!!

Sean (who will likely be at HP on May 7)

Re: Hersheypark & Kennywood...May 7 & 8 by ThmPrkCommando at 4/27/04 10:20:57 AM

There are lots of dining and hotel options near HersheyPark, so that shouldn't be a problem.

We did Kennywood last year on the way to Cedar Point, and if I remember correctly, there wasn't all that much (McDonalds and a Chinese Buffet) near the park.

But when you've got the Potato Patch fries with gravy...

>

Re: Hersheypark & Kennywood...May 7 & 8 by Coaster3.16 at 4/27/04 10:44:21 AM

> Hersheypark on the 7th of May. Kennywood on the
> 8th.

According to a park Sweetmail sent to their subscriber list this morning, Storm Runner will "officially" open on Saturday, May 8. I suppose there is a chance it will run on the 7th in some form, but that is the word from Hersheypark as of this morning.

- Jeff

Re: Hersheypark & Kennywood...May 7 & 8 by freakylick at 4/27/04 12:12:09 PM

> According to a park Sweetmail sent to their
> subscriber list this morning, Storm Runner will
> "officially" open on Saturday, May 8. I
> suppose there is a chance it will run on the 7th
> in some form, but that is the word from
> Hersheypark as of this morning.

They had sent out a flyer to season passholders about two weeks ago stating that the "Grand Opening Ceremonies" for SR would be on May 8. I became skeptical about that considering the continuously poor weather at the time. I am still a little skeptical, but hopeful.

Sean
-who is especially hopeful for a soft opening on May 7-

Re: Hersheypark & Kennywood...May 7 & 8 by Snoopy at 4/27/04 12:48:04 PM

> We're also looking for a place to
> work nicely.

You have an area, date, and price. Sounds like a priceline opportunity to me. I just bid $45 for my trip last weekend and got upgraded to a Marriot. If you don't like paying up front, check out the usual suspects like orbitz, etc. They will offer you decent deals, and you can decide after you see them.

Re: Hersheypark & Kennywood...May 7 & 8 by Coaster3.16 at 4/27/04 12:48:53 PM

> They had sent out a flyer to season passholders
> about two weeks ago stating that the "Grand
> Opening Ceremonies" for SR would be on May
> 8. I became skeptical about that considering the
> continuously poor weather at the time. I am still
> a little skeptical, but hopeful.

I got that flyer, too. Like you, I didn't really believe it. I figured it was too late to change the date on the mailings. The email has me a little more hopeful because I assume it would be easier for them to change the date in the email.

Still, I probably will wait until Sunday of that weekend before I go even though it won't be a big deal if I don't ride Storm Runner until later in the year anyway.

- Jeff