Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Death at Magic Mountain

Death at Magic Mountain

wildcat

Posted:
4/9/04 at
7:05:53 PM

Local news in Los Angeles is reporting the death of an employee on Scream, during a maintenence check of the ride.

Apparently the worker was struck by a train, and fell. The employee was transported to a hospital and was pronounced dead.

Very sad for their family and the park.

Wildcat

Re: Death at Magic Mountain by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 4/9/04 7:21:17 PM

Very sad indeed.

MommaBeast

Re: Death at Magic Mountain by J-Sly J-Sly Profile at 4/9/04 11:31:15 PM

SANTA CLARITA, California (AP) -- An employee at Six Flags Magic Mountain was struck and killed by a roller coaster Friday, authorities said.

The employee, who was not immediately identified, walked onto the Scream roller coaster's tracks in a restricted area shortly before the park opened, said park spokeswoman Sue Carpenter. The worker died at a hospital.

"We do not know why this employee was in this area," Carpenter said. No one was on the ride at the time.

Sheriff's investigators along with officials from the state's Division of Occupational Safety and Health were called to the park.

Scream, a floorless roller coaster, opened in April 2003. Riders are strapped into chairs with their feet dangling as the ride goes through a series of twists and turns, reaching speeds up to 65 mph.

Magic Mountain has 18 other roller coasters on its 260-acre playground of rides and attractions.

A 28-year-old woman died of a ruptured aneurysm in 2001 on the Goliath Roller Coaster at the park. A coroner's report stated the ride may have been a factor in her death.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Re: Death at Magic Mountain by chillforce chillforce Profile at 4/10/04 12:03:41 AM

> SANTA CLARITA, California (AP) -- An employee at
> Six Flags Magic Mountain was struck and killed by
> a roller coaster Friday, authorities said.

> The employee, who was not immediately identified,
> walked onto the Scream roller coaster's tracks in
> a restricted area shortly before the park opened,
> said park spokeswoman Sue Carpenter. The worker
> died at a hospital.

> "We do not know why this employee was in
> this area," Carpenter said. No one was on
> the ride at the time.

> Sheriff's investigators along with officials from
> the state's Division of Occupational Safety and
> Health were called to the park.

> Scream, a floorless roller coaster, opened in
> April 2003. Riders are strapped into chairs with
> their feet dangling as the ride goes through a
> series of twists and turns, reaching speeds up to
> 65 mph.

> Magic Mountain has 18 other roller coasters on
> its 260-acre playground of rides and attractions.

> A 28-year-old woman died of a ruptured aneurysm
> in 2001 on the Goliath Roller Coaster at the
> park. A coroner's report stated the ride may have
> been a factor in her death.

I love how that BS line of a woman died when it had no relevance had to be included in the report, did they report how many people rode the ride before and after her death with no adverse problems? Did they have the full coroners report?

Anyway, I wonder if a loud horn blows at each of the coasters when they are unlocked at the start of the day or after a lockdown or e-stop. This is normal for many parks especially SF.

Anyway, I feel for the family, friends and co-workers of the victim, and for SFMM. It is differcult to accept any untimely death and the loss is felt by all the parties involved. It will be a longtime for all the parties to heal, just ask Paula. No one that works at any park, themer or traditional, does not feel the pain of a persons demise without good reason, and the family and friends will take even a longer time to accept the loss.

Keep them in your prayers.

Ed

Re: Death at Magic Mountain by AL_W_ at 4/10/04 12:38:33 AM

> Magic Mountain has 18 other roller coasters on
> its 260-acre playground of rides and attractions.

Well, here's another media distortion!

Sorry I've missed MM's 17th and 18th coasters!

Condolences to those involved.

Al W.

Re: Death at Magic Mountain by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 4/10/04 3:29:16 AM

It's a shame that that happened. My prayers go out to the friends and family. Not to sound rude or anything, but it seems to be a shame that MM is getting a bad rep.

Tim.

Schwarzkopf.Coaster.net

Re: Death at Magic Mountain by Coaster_BuzzerBoy at 4/10/04 2:08:55 PM

Just wondering, in any situation similar to this, would they open the ride, and did they open the ride that day since the death had nothing to do with any problems with the roller coaster?

Re: Death at Magic Mountain by CoastermanMike at 4/10/04 11:22:04 PM

Scream doesn't have sand or gravel filled tracks, right?

Of course, my questions are, was she part of the crew of Scream or grounds maintenance? And if part of the the crew, why didn't they bother to know her location?

Coasterman Mike - who wasn't ever permitted to dispatch the first train until a head count was finished and we visually checked all "low zones."

Re: Death at Magic Mountain by chillforce chillforce Profile at 4/10/04 11:53:27 PM

> Scream doesn't have sand or gravel filled tracks,
> right?

> Of course, my questions are, was she part of the
> crew of Scream or grounds maintenance? And if
> part of the the crew, why didn't they bother to
> know her location?

> Coasterman Mike - who wasn't ever permitted to
> dispatch the first train until a head count was
> finished and we visually checked all "low
> zones."

Scream is not neutered as far as sound. It is a real B&M and not a whisper of itself. (B&Ms are not themselves and therefore only showdows of themselves without the roars)

Also, we know that the SF Parks, for the most part, use loud horns to warn that that a coaster is now operational. Did the person think this was for another coaster and not Scream? Did the person see something they did not like and try to inspect it and thought they had time before the coaste arrived? There are many questions, only after OSHA and the Cal Boards have their investigations will we have any answers, if even then.

Ed

Re: Death at Magic Mountain by FREEFALL at 4/11/04 2:57:54 AM

> Local news in Los Angeles is reporting the death
> of an employee on Scream, during a maintenence
> check of the ride.

> Apparently the worker was struck by a train, and
> fell. The employee was transported to a hospital
> and was pronounced dead.

> Very sad for their family and the park.

The man who was in the post "ideas for improvement for SFMM" goes under the name CoasterMech and said he was well coastermech for SFMM. I wonder if he has any "real news" for us on what went wrong. I also like everyone else feel for everyone that was involved in the accident.

P.S. correct me if im wrong as i was only like 11 or 12 but I thought SFMM also had a problem with Revolution where a ride op fell onto the track and did not make it. Kinda freaky how this seems to happen every so often.