Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Most under-rated coaster

Most under-rated coaster

CCIguy

Posted:
9/6/02 at
6:16:04 PM

I think the most under-rated coaster out there is Big Dipper at Camden Park. Maybe its not necessarily under-rated, but I never hear anyone talk about it. This is a great ride. Even though it drops only 35 feet, its first drop is my favorite out there. In the back car, the first drop gives airtime beyond comprehension. Besides the first drop, this ride isn't too great, but not bad, and is definitely worth the trip for that drop. I like this 35 foot drop more than the 300 foot drop on Millennium Force, I'm not kidding.

Re: Most under-rated coaster by Roarsloudly at 9/6/02 8:18:38 PM

I would defenitely have to say "Great Bear" @Hershey Park! The drop into the helix after the lift is very unique and the actual drop itself always delivers 4 me!!

Re: Most under-rated coaster by DarkMeasures at 9/6/02 8:44:45 PM

The Rock n' roller Coaster At Disney World.
People say only the theming launch and music is good and nothing else. This ride is far better than any other coaster i have ridden and i have been to Cedar Point and PKI in 1998.

The ride's turns are really awsome and give a uniques feeling like cruising because how many roads give you Air time. Yeah i know how many roads go upside down and through giant doughnuts but thats beside the point. The ride feels the perfect way it needs to and i believe this ride is really under rated.

Re: Most under-rated coaster by Shaggy Shaggy Profile at 9/6/02 9:12:15 PM

*Snip*
> Big Dipper at Camden Park. Maybe its not
> necessarily under-rated, but I never hear anyone
> talk about it. ....In the back car, the first
> drop gives airtime beyond comprehension.
*snip*

Is it still missing the back seat? When I rode, it was just a few weeks after the lift peak had collapsed. It looked and felt as thought the rest of it could go at anytime as well. I would rate it as one of the most under-maintained coasters ;-)

There are three that easily take the cake for most under-rated coaster(s) in my book.

Wood - Easily Screechin Eagle at Americana. How they are allowed to operate that thing the way they do I will never know. You spend more terror filled time out of your seat while riding, than in it. IMO it was Ohio's first stand up coaster.

Steel - Tie.... Wildfire and PC's Top Gun. Both exemplify what I look for in steel looping coasters... and no-one ever talks about how great they are. Both rank among the best ever designed and yet are tucked away at little discussed, and out of the way, parks.

Shaggy

Re: Most under-rated coaster by upstop upstop Profile at 9/6/02 9:44:43 PM

Screechin Eagle

Re: Most under-rated coaster by KC_Koaster_Kid at 9/6/02 10:08:28 PM

Montu at BGT...most underated B&M coaster!

Re: Most under-rated coaster by Batman_is_King at 9/6/02 10:16:08 PM

Ragin' Wolf Bobs is a great coaster, but it may not be a ride for people who like REALLY jerky rides.
It's not as big as its counterpart, The Villian, but it is a great ride.

http://www.rcdb.com

Re: Most under-rated coaster by swOHman at 9/6/02 10:34:04 PM

I know it's already been mentioned twice, but the Screechin' Eagle is flat out amazing. This coaster has not yet gotten the credit it deserves. I really question the legality of its airtime. Take Raven's 5th drop and do it THREE times in a row with some laterals to boot. It delivers in the front or the back. I've had several firends who had never ridden and after telling them it was the best wood coaster in Ohio, they look at at it say, "THAT's the best coaster in Ohio?!?" I just smile and say, "You'll see." Let's just say they did see.

swOHman a.k.a. Brian
"Don't Look Back"

Re: Most under-rated coaster by Roarsloudly at 9/6/02 11:31:08 PM

> Ragin' Wolf Bobs is a great coaster, but it may
> not be a ride for people who like REALLY jerky
> rides.
> It's not as big as its counterpart, The Villian,
> but it is a great ride.

U have got 2 be kiddin', right?
Of my 135 coasters ridden that has got 2 be the WORST rollercoaster I have ever been on!!!!
I am also not the only one who thinks the same thing!!!!!!!!

Re: Most under-rated coaster by LONNOL at 9/6/02 11:35:43 PM

From the coasters I have been on I would say the following...

Wood: Swamp Fox at Family Kingdom. As Mark, Bill and I said in our TR's, this ride has something for everyone. It is floater in the front, calm in the middle and all hell really broke loose in that very back seat. It just shocked all of us that people always fawn over the Hurricane but neglect this jewel of the coast.

Steel: Top Gun at Carowinds. As Shaggy said, this ride is excellent and hardly ever mentioned. As much as I like Busch Gardens, this thing is much better than the neutered Montu. Batwings rule!

LONNOL User Submitted Picture

APH

Re: Most under-rated coaster by Mr_Seta at 9/7/02 12:36:10 AM

I'd like to add the Silver Comet at Martin's Fantasy Island. It was a highlight of my NY trip a couple years ago. I think a lot of people forget about it and you'll hear the occasional mention of it from time to time. I was totally blown away by it.

Max

Call me crazy, but.... by freakylick at 9/7/02 8:32:54 AM

Those that think Screechin Eagle is "underrated" misunderstood the question. Of everyone that I have heard has been on that coaster, it seems as though everyone loves it...most seem to immediately add it to their top woodies list. How can a coaster that receives that much praise by underrated? Okay, so maybe Discovery/Travel Channel has never done a special on Screechin Eagle, but it was out of commission for a few years (right?!?!) and just came back into operations this year. It may very well be the most under-ridden (Is that a word?) coaster, but it doesn't seem to be underrated.

I don't know if I have a coaster that is very underrated, but I think Thunderhawk doesn't get as much credit as it deserves.

Re: Most under-rated coaster by Batman_is_King at 9/7/02 9:56:51 AM

> U have got 2 be kiddin', right?
> Of my 135 coasters ridden that has got 2 be the
> WORST rollercoaster I have ever been
> on!!!!
> I am also not the only one who thinks the same
> thing!!!!!!!!

Why don't you like it? I up to everyones opinion!

http://www.rcdb.com

Re: Most under-rated coaster by CCIguy at 9/7/02 12:09:26 PM

Top Gun at PC is my favorite invert and is definitely underrated. From what's been said about Screechin Eagle, I'd say it's now #2 on my wanted list for woodies to ride (shivering timbers #1 on list)

Re: Most under-rated coaster by drachen drachen Profile at 9/7/02 12:53:04 PM

Wood:

Wild Cat at Hersheypark. Though it was very popular when it openned, it still gives an amazing ride, and everybody seems to dog it for roughness, which I think is ridiculous. How can you expect a roller coaster with that type of design to be smooth? It's not an out & back. Hershey's done a great job in mantaining it.

Steel:

Gemini Need I say more?

Re: Most under-rated coaster by Coaster911 at 9/7/02 2:24:26 PM

I never hear much about Kraken at Sea World. I love this ride as well the theming is awesome.

Kraken

Re: Most under-rated coaster by CoasterBlues at 9/7/02 5:02:16 PM

Tough call on this one! Going with an approach of considering coasters that don't garner much discussion or respectable standings in coaster polls looks like...

RIDDEN

Steel - Top Gun at PGA. Each and every time I ride this brilliant short beemer it delivers the goods. Short and sweet without a doubt.

Wood - Yankee Cannonball. Have never personally read a harsh TR on this classic Herb Schemnk woodie. Was stunned in 1999 with how well the ride was tracking and the air in the back. This was the coaster that broke my Palm Pilot screen and necessitated purchasing a Titanium steel case. Never have to worry when riding any more:)

UN-RIDDEN

Steel - Steel Eel at Seaworld Texas. By all appearance a fine ride. Believe it is drastically over looked due to its 150' height.

Wood - Wild Mouse at BPB.

Masher it sounds like...

Re: Most under-rated coaster by CoasterBlues at 9/7/02 5:31:37 PM

Really neat picture of Swamp Fox! Thanks for posting it:)

Re: Most under-rated coaster by CoasterBlues at 9/7/02 5:38:53 PM

Good call. This one popped into mind and was rejected due to its rating #25 in the original Internet Steel Coaster Poll in 2000. In many ways the essence of this message in many regards is 'what is the least discussed top performing coaster'. I say this as many folks have posted rides which have been rated highly by one or more respectable polls.

> The Rock n' roller Coaster At Disney World.
> People say only the theming launch and music is
> good and nothing else. This ride is far better
> than any other coaster i have ridden and i have
> been to Cedar Point and PKI in 1998.

> The ride's turns are really awsome and give a
> uniques feeling like cruising because how many
> roads give you Air time. Yeah i know how many
> roads go upside down and through giant doughnuts
> but thats beside the point. The ride feels the
> perfect way it needs to and i believe this ride
> is really under rated.

Re: Most under-rated coaster by CoasterBlues at 9/7/02 5:41:35 PM

> Gemini Need I say more?

Nope. I in fact was quite dissapointed in the ride in 1989 based mainly on the fact that my anticipation was crushed when I discovered it was a wooden framed steel coaster. Its a certainty I will appreciate the ride more the next time I get to 'The Point'.

Re: Most under-rated coaster by JamminJ at 9/7/02 8:55:06 PM

Long time reader, first time poster..

I will format this like CoasterBlues did..

Ridden-

Wood - Got to be Screechin' Eagle at LeSourdsville, it immediately jumped to my #2 woodie right behind The Beast. (And I know many others who feel it even beats the Beast)

Steel – Top Gun: The Jet Coaster at Carowinds, I sometimes forget how lucky I am to have this masterpiece at my homepark.

Not-Ridden-

Wood –Many of CCI’s wonderful creations.. Tremors, Timber Terror, Zeus, Rampage, MegaZeph, Excalibur, Outlaw, Cylcops… you never hear anything about these, yet, they look fantastic.

Steel – there are either too many choices here, or not nearly enough.. I can’t think of any right now, so, being very broad, I will say something not in the US, and/or something Shwarzkopf. Wildfire at SDC also comes to mind…

Re: Most under-rated coaster by swOHman at 9/7/02 9:04:53 PM

> Steel:

> Gemini Need I say more?

How could I have forgotten Gemini?!? Gemini is one mighty fine steel coaster with some good airtime and awesome headchoppers. Second best coaster at CP behind Raptor.

swOHman a.k.a. Brian
"Don't Look Back"

Re: Most under-rated coaster by ansley at 9/7/02 11:15:56 PM

I think Gwazi at Busch Gardens Tampa is very much underrated. When it runs well, usually late in the day, it is by far the best GCI coaster IMHO and really can get wild if running fast, much more like a CCI.

For steel...hmmm...probably Batwing (and the others like it) becuase I guess I think that the flying coaster thing works so well. I just love the flying feeling, and I think Batwing is a great coaster, not rough, cool elements, high G's,...just plain fun!

Ted A.

Re: Most under-rated coaster by Frissbeking at 9/8/02 10:07:09 PM

I know everyone says this is a #1 coaster, which it is, but there are no words that describe how good SRoS is at SFNE. Sure its the best, but its indescribable. That is just my opinion though. ;)

RT

My Website, Check out the coasters page!

Re: Most under-rated coaster by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 9/13/02 4:56:40 PM

SFWoA's Big Dipper had been for years very under-rated but thanks to the Six Flags conversion two years ago, many people have come to experience what a true gem it really is.

But I think SFGAm's Viper is the most under-rated wood coaster. I went to Gurnee towards the end of August and rode the back seat on this great ride and experienced some awesome air time on much of the drops.

And though American Eagle is rather tame forwards, backwards is a real treat. I absolutely loved it. A bit intense riding in the back seat through the helix (as well as some subtle hints of air time), but backwards Eagle is also under-rated.

Geauga Dog

SFWoA: An Unofficial Guide

Re: Most under-rated coaster by CoasterJunky12 at 9/19/02 4:46:20 PM

>Mine is probably the wildcat at CP. It might not be the biggest or the fastest but it's probably the smoothest coaster in the world.

Re: Most under-rated coaster by CRUEHEAD2001 at 9/19/02 7:49:48 PM

> Wood:

> Wild Cat at Hersheypark. Though it was very
> popular when it openned, it still gives an
> amazing ride, and everybody seems to dog it for
> roughness, which I think is ridiculous. How can
> you expect a roller coaster with that type of
> design to be smooth? It's not an out & back.
> Hershey's done a great job in mantaining it.

I agree I really liked Wildcat, it's in my top 3. I dunno I have to ride it again it's been two years. I don't mind a rough "wooden" coaster as long as it's dishing out some speed and some good forces....

Re: Most under-rated coaster by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 9/19/02 8:46:45 PM

I think for a record-holder, Son of Beast is HIGHLY under-rated. Many of you do NOT like it, and that is ok...you are very well entitled to your opinion. But I happen to love this coaster and it seems many many people beat up on this ride whenever they get a chance.

It's wood, folks. The fastest (78 mph), tallest, steepest drop, only looping WOODEN rollercoaster on the planet. Some don't like the 'ruff-n-ready' ride this gives. I, personally, found a sweet seat that I dash to if I don't feel like waiting for the front car.

Alot of people get all fired up about how much they dislike this ride. I'm on the other end of the gamut on that one yet I understand the concept that some of you don't embrace SoB as I do. And that's OK. It's just unfortunate for the popularity of this ride because IMHO it is a terrific coaster.

And with that said, I think SoB is HIGHLY UNDER-RATED.
~MommaBeast

Re: Most under-rated coaster by CoasterLisa at 9/20/02 12:30:43 AM

Without any question probably one of the most "underrated" wooden coasters is, Coaster Thrillride at the Western Washington Fair.

Second on that list (IMO) would be, Coaster at Playland in Vancouver, BC. This is a classic twister with lots of laterals and air time all hidden deep within the structure. This is definitely an old time, shake-you-up coaster. Some consider this smoother than the CI Cyclone.

Thirdly, Timber Terror at Silverwood Theme Park in Athol, ID. A great CCI O&B with a few laterals thrown in. I am told this is a great "warm-up" ride to Shivering Timbers. And IMO there is a close family resemblence. I hope to see more of this wooden "Timber" clan in the future. :)

A few other classic must do coasters on my list:
Roller Coaster, (Lagoon)
Screechin Eagle
Yankee Canonball
Swamp Fox

Thanks John Miller... ;)

Re: Most under-rated coaster by awag at 9/20/02 1:47:47 AM

> Have to agree about Gwazi at Busch Gardens Tampa. The twists and turns are awesome.

Re: Most under-rated coaster by johnh at 9/20/02 7:44:54 AM

> I think the most under-rated coaster out there is
> Big Dipper at Camden Park. Maybe its not
> necessarily under-rated, but I never hear anyone
> talk about it. This is a great ride. Even though
> it drops only 35 feet, its first drop is my
> favorite out there. In the back car, the first
> drop gives airtime beyond comprehension. Besides
> the first drop, this ride isn't too great, but
> not bad, and is definitely worth the trip for
> that drop. I like this 35 foot drop more than the
> 300 foot drop on Millennium Force, I'm not
> kidding.

I think the most under-rated coaster for this year has been the Comet at great escape

Re: Most under-rated coaster by chris at 9/20/02 10:27:22 AM

> Coaster Thrillride at the Western Washington
> Fair.

This is a fine, fine coaster. I couldn't agree more, about it being 'underrated.' If only it ran more than a few weeks a year, but then it would lose some of its 'mystique.'

> Second on that list (IMO) would be, Coaster at
> Playland in Vancouver, BC.

I currently rank Coaster as my number one woodie. This ride just 'did it' for me, and was such a joy: Air, laterals, the beautiful trains. It's the real deal.

> Thirdly, Timber Terror at Silverwood Theme Park
> in Athol, ID. A great CCI O&B with a few laterals
> thrown in. I am told this is a great
> "warm-up" ride to Shivering Timbers.

I actually prefer Timber Terror to Shivering Timbers, as TT is able to do pretty much the same thing without the drawn-out layout that becomes somewhat of a 'bore' once you've hit more than 50 laps on it. I also rank TT higher because it performs better at opening. ST needs quite a bit of warm up time to get up to par. This is typical with most CCIs, but ST is rididiculous sometimes, as I've had to wait until 6pm some days to get rides on ST that felt 'right.' Timber Terror delivered 'right off the bat' on my visit to Silverwood.

> Roller Coaster, (Lagoon)

Me too, I just don't see myself in Utah anytime soon. :-p

> Screechin Eagle

Hopefully I'll make it to Cinci in the next two weeks but I doubt it. :-(

> Yankee Canonball

I will 'own' the coasters of New England next summer.

> Swamp Fox

As LONNOL mentioned, this is the true gem of Myrtle Beach. 'F a Hurricane.

Re: Most under-rated coaster by ray_p ray_p Profile at 9/20/02 10:45:07 AM

I'd have to agree on the Screechin' Eagle. After getting my first ever rides on it this past August, I came away amazed. When we first got to the park, I looked at it and said "That's the Screechin' Eagle?" Well, after unintentionally standing up for most of the second half of the ride (that drop off the turnaround is just insane), it easily earned the title of "Best Woodie in Ohio". As I mentioned in my TR, though, I have yet to ride Son of Beast or Wyandot's Sea Dragon.... but I have a feeling that the Eagle would still rank higher than both.

As far as steel coasters go, I'd have to say Batman Knight Flight at SFWoA. All these Discovery Chanel specials have talked about floorless coasters, but have never shown BKF. The ride features (in my opinion) a great first drop, a huge vertical loop with awesome hang time, a high speed overbanked turn, a giant cobra roll, an incredible pop of air off the mid-course brake, and a very intense finale featuring a pair of interlocking flat spins and a low to the ground helix that exerts some serious g-forces. Yes, it's a bit rough in spots, but overall, BKF offers an outtanding ride and has a fantastic location along the "shores" of Geauga Lake.

ray p.

Re: Most under-rated coaster by freakylick at 9/20/02 12:00:26 PM

Actually, a coaster that I forgot to mention before as being under-rated is the first gem that CCI ever produced...Sky Princess (How can a coaster with a name like be any good?!?!...LOL). This coaster gets a little love by those that ride it, but I think it is an awesome coaster that ranks very high on my top 10 woodies list.

Sean

Re: Most under-rated coaster by marmaduke at 9/20/02 2:29:29 PM

There's only one answer to this question. It's THE BOSS at Six Flags St. Louis. This coaster only gets better as the day goes along. If you haven't ridden it, get to SFSTL and ride it.

This Woodie has two or three drops of more than 100 feet (the first being 150 feet), tremendous speed at over 70 MPH and an unbelievable helix at the finish.

Some say it's a little rough. I don't think it's rough at all, and all seats are a great ride.

Re: Most under-rated coaster by Coasterplanet43 at 9/20/02 4:18:58 PM

Don't forget about Shivering Timbers! this coaster is one of a kind. the first time you ride you will probobly love it. it can garenty tons of air time over the creast. listen to this first drop 125 then 100 then 80 then on and on. this coaster is huge at some angles it seems never ending. pluse the cool "trick track"

Re: Most under-rated coaster by chris at 9/20/02 4:30:17 PM

> Don't forget about Shivering Timbers!

Uh, ST comes in on most polls in the top 5. How is that 'underratted?'

Now, if you want to talk about 'overrated' coasters, then I would whole-heartedly agree. ;-)

Re: Most under-rated coaster by Coasterplanet43 at 9/20/02 4:58:07 PM

ok ok i agree with you chris partly but can you think of some other places that its been oone of the best dont get me wrong a thought is a thought.

Re: Most under-rated coaster by Jwood at 9/21/02 3:12:38 PM

I pesonally think that the Dueling Dragons at Universal's ISLANDS OF ADVENTURE, is the most under-rated coaster. Really, it is a really great coaster, the wieghtlesness, the G's, and close points. Also, since the Hulk, rated #1 coaster, is in the Same park, it doesnt get a good amount of attention. And, since they're building that new coaster around JP, which is worst for it too. But, it gets money they say. So, its left at that.

P.S

Well, if you're wondering which one i like. I like Ice Dragon the best. More variety of inversions.

Re: Most under-rated coaster by coastercraver at 9/22/02 2:24:43 AM

Ok this is it you want to here about under-rated rides try Flashback @ SFMM. this is the most amazing experience. it is so unique with just enough scary. when i got off it my jaw dropped. even though it is jerky that just adds to the out of control feeling of the ride

Re: Most under-rated coaster by CoasterEricHP at 9/23/02 10:48:16 PM

Wood -- Great White at Morey's Pier.. you NEVER hear anything about Morey's at all it seems like. (With the except of arson... burning down the greatest haunted house in the country) But, the Great White is a classic design, CCI coaster, with some great air and great visuals.

Wildcat at Hersheypark.. it defeniately has the largest personality of any coaster!! One minute it'll be smooth, the next rough.. but ALWAYS fast with loads of air.

Steel -- Big Bad Wolf. If more people were this creative with suspended coasters.. there would be more of them, which would be a good thing.

Eric

Re: Most under-rated coaster by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 9/24/02 8:39:08 PM

>
> Steel -- Big Bad Wolf. If more people were this
> creative with suspended coasters.. there would be
> more of them, which would be a good thing.

> Eric

A BIG FAT "AMEN!" TO THAT, ERIC! YOu are sooooo right, my friend!
It *IS* Under-rated and to the loss of those who haven't ridden it. This suspended rox! It ranks right up at the top with me.
MommaBeast

Re: Most under-rated coaster by KevinReid KevinReid Profile at 9/26/02 8:32:10 AM

> A BIG FAT "AMEN!" TO THAT, ERIC! YOu
> are sooooo right, my friend!
> It *IS* Under-rated and to the loss of those who
> haven't ridden it. This suspended rox! It ranks
> right up at the top with me.
> MommaBeast

I feel the opposite on this one. I think BBW is the most over rated Arrow suspended. An Arrow suspended is susposed to come into the brake run swinging wildly... but BBW just limps into the brake run barely a swing. The drop of the second lift looks so SWEET but I was so disappointed.

In my opinion PCW's Vortex is second to none in the Arrow suspended class. PKI's Topgun coming in right behind Vortex.
User Submitted Picture

PCW Junkies On Ride Photos of Fear

Re: Most under-rated coaster by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 9/26/02 9:17:42 PM

> I feel the opposite on this one. I think BBW is
> the most over rated Arrow suspended. An Arrow
> suspended is susposed to come into the brake run
> swinging wildly... but BBW just limps into the
> brake run barely a swing. The drop of the second
> lift looks so SWEET but I was so disappointed.

> In my opinion PCW's Vortex is second to none in
> the Arrow suspended class. PKI's Topgun coming in
> right behind Vortex.

Kevin: awesome pic! thanx for sharing.

I remember you saying that you had a less than thrilling experience on BBW when I posted my TR. When I was there in JUNE, it rocked...FLEW...SWUNG!
The ride was incredible. Over and over again we flew. I have heard many great things about your Vortex (NOT to be confused with PKI Vortex!!).
I will have to try that one out as soon as feasible.
Thanks for posting and sorry your BBW experience wasn't as *awesome* as mine. Maybe next time???
MommaBeast

Re: Most under-rated coaster by CedarPointFan at 10/5/02 5:57:42 PM

For me its Volcano: the Blast Coaster at PKD. This was my favorate ride before MF was built. Very short, but a great thrill.

If I had to pick a wooden one, I would pick the Gemini if I can get away with calling it a wooden coaster. It is so smooth, there is great air, and slapping five with other coaster enthusiasts is just what the exciting spirit alive at Cedar Point is all about.

The problem that I have with other woodies is that you cannot get a consistant ride out of them. One time they are great and the next they shake your brain. I still ride and enjoy them. I have even got one or two good rides on the Mean Streak! (if you can believe that)