Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Open Topic > Speaking of music, best live concerts ever attended

Speaking of music, best live concerts ever attended

Patripman Patripman Profile

Posted:
10/27/01 at
8:50:57 AM

Views: 1108

Picking up where the post top 5 post left off, what would you say were the best live rocks shows you ever attended. having been to many shows I will list what I think were my best. They will not be listed from best to worst.

* Ozzy live, the first solo tour he ever did. I was in school in Pittsburgh and the Stanley Theatre was 3 blocks from school. When the concert was announced I was the second person in line for tickets. I bought 4 front row center stange tickets. To this day I still contribute my hearing loss from this concert. Randy Rhodes just blew everyone away that night. By the way I have the original program from that show, you wouldnt believe how many offers I have had for it.
* "Yes", 2 shows the first 1977 Pittsburgh with Rick Wakeman and the second in 1997 New Jerssy. Both times they did the Yessongs format.
* "King Crimson", 1977 Pittsburgh how can Robert Fripp and friends do a show that was to be talked about in these parts for many many years.
* "Triumph" the 3 piece Canadian band who put on a live show unseen in many years.
* "Rush", 1976 Stanley Theatre 2112 tour, nothing will ever come close to this show. You didnt need a buzz to enjoy this concert!
* "Jethro Tull", 1996 Electric Factory, Philly. Ian Anderson performed while in a wheelchair with a broken leg. How can someone play a flute while in a wheelchair and still put on a show like they did that night, simply amazing.

Now the best of the best:
Led Zepplin; 1977 the last of the major tours done by the band. Went to see them in Cleveland and will never ever forget how they brought the house down. God what a concert!

Genesis, 1977 tour, to this day nothing will ever come close to what they performed that night. When "Suppers
Ready" was done everyone was stunned. There hasnt been a song that lasts 30 minutes long performed like that EVER! The whole Civic Arena went silent, because nobody could even think of what to do next.

Guns n Roses: Miami. Appetite for Destruction tour. I still cannot see how a band could rock like that. They went on and on and on without giving the crowd a break.

Oh there are many more;
*Queen 1976
*Styx, 1976 and 1979
*Black Sabbath, 1976 and 1977 and 1981 with Ronnie Dio,
*Pink Floyd, 1977 and 1995
*Ramones, to many times to count
*Pretenders, 1982
*Super Tramp, 1978 and 1983
*Asia, 1982
*AC/DC, 1982 and 1994
The list goes on and on. The sad thing is I cannot list any geat shows that I have been to lately after 1998. For me the mix of lights, sound and atmosphere made most of these shows ones to remember.
Patripman

Re: Speaking of music, best live concerts ever attended by Graeme Graeme Profile at 10/27/01 2:45:48 PM

Not a "rock show" by any stretch of the imagination, but my favourite show is one that caught me completely by surprise.

I just visited Paignton, Devon, and saw a Radio 1 Roadshow trailer parked and broadcasting! Well, I stayed to watch it and Victoria Beckham (Posh Spice) came on with Dane Bowers and "performed" their song "Out of Your Mind". Hey, it was only miming, but she's quite a big star!

Graeme

Re: Speaking of music, best live concerts ever attended by Coasternut at 10/27/01 3:15:54 PM

I have`nt been to that many concerts but the best one I have been to was Led Zeppelins last peformance in Atlanta,way back in April 1977.(God I`m old!)

Re: Speaking of music, best live concerts ever attended by comet3506 at 10/27/01 4:57:32 PM

I have only started going to concerts the last year or so.

U2- Elevation TOur 2001: First Union Center. Far and away best concert I have even been to (though not that many). Band comes out with all the house lights on and goes right into elevation. Did most of thier hits and just an awesome show, could go on hours for how great it was. Best part was during the Fly when Bono runs crazily around the stage and pastes himself to the video screen so all you can see is a black silluette of him. Will be seeing U2s elevation tour again tomorrow and next friday.

Counting Crows/Live- Hershey Stadium: My first really big concert. CC come out and open with angels of the silences (my favorite song of thiers) full electric. CC last show I saw at a college was overall better, but Live performing in front of thier "home" crowd does an amazing set.

Other shows I have been to
Barenaked Ladies, Otown (took my sister, not into that sort of thing lol), and Moody Blues

Hoping to see:
Creed, Bush, Blink 182, Pearl Jam and many others...

comet

Re: Speaking of music, best live concerts ever attended by allenki72 at 10/27/01 7:47:25 PM

The only live concerts I've been to (in the Cincinnati area, of course):
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, Kings Island Timberwolf. Sat lower-middle. Excellent parodies!
- Billy Joel/Elton John, Firstar Center. Sky suite, great music, even though I was born a few years before their career highlights.
- Styx/BadCo/Billy Squier, Riverbend Music Center. Although I am a serious Styx fan, and have all of their 70s and 80s albums, I enjoyed BadCo and Squier's hits as well. However, I wish that Dennis DeYoung was not kicked out of the band because of his health problems, and that they had put off the tour until he got better. Although his replacement was great on the keyboards, DeYoung's voice is far superior.

Sounds like I need to expand my concert horizons, huh?
Maybe some AC/DC or Metallica?

allemki72

Re: Speaking of music, best live concerts ever attended by Pantera Psycho at 10/28/01 8:21:12 AM

Best of the best has to be no doubt, Mr. Bungle. Mike Patton, the lead singer, also was the lead singer for Faith No More. It was in Faith No More he developed quite a reputation for doing strange things on stage, like dumping a bottle of urine on his head, all simply to enchance the show. Mr. Bungle isn't as wild of antics all the time (although the songs are VERY wild and strange compared to his days with Faith No More), but their every movements on stage are done for a meaning, every last thing they do from how they dress to how Mike holds the microphone to why Trevor turned his head slightly during the show.

Other good ones

Zakk Wylde's Black Label Society - AMAZING
Slayer - Can you say intense?
Pantera - not as intense as Slayer, but still way up there.
Black Sabbath - The Legends
Metallica - Sure their recent albums were soft, but their live shows aren't.
Sevendust - ENERGY
Sepultura - Igor rules, and their stage presence is awesome.
Primus - Les Claypool is another great showman in rock, these guys you have to see.
White/Rob Zombie - I was lucky enough to see both, both were great, Rob's solo stuff has a more elaborate stage show though, which is just plain amazing.
Jerry Cantrell - Great set he put on, some amazing guitar work.
System of a Down - Another great showman band combined with great energy, they top MANY people's lists.
Fear Factory - Fast and powerful. Also Dino's my hero.
Slipknot - Another fast and powerful. Also some brutal stage antics that include lighting each other on fire and jumping off of speakers into the crowd.
Mudvayne - Twice as powerful live as on their albums.
Hatebreed - BRUTAL!!! Pits are not for the fragile.
Amen - Casey rules!

There's more, but I think that may be plenty for now.

Re: Speaking of music, best live concerts ever attended by Etaylor at 10/28/01 11:20:32 AM

Had to get out the old scrap book for this one. There have been many. I love live performances.

1. Iron Maiden -2/1/1991 - Patriot Center
A band with great music that can really play well together and the stage show is second to none.

2. Bette Midler - 6/5/1994 - Merriweather Post
I didn't even have an interest in this show, but the tickets were free and I wasn't busy. Did you know she does a full burlesque show?

3. Grateful Dead - 6/20/1992 - R.F.K. Stadium
Regardless of whether you are a fan or not, you could always have fun at a dead show, even if you just went to the parking lot. They played really well for a geezer band at this show and they played some stuff I hadn't heard for a long time. Steve Miller Band opened which was also really great.

4. Nine Inch Nails - Baltimore Arena
I believe it was after Broken came out. Great loud angry music mixed with horrifying imagery on a scrim. Can't go wrong with that.

5. Tori Amos - 4/26/1996 - DAR Constitution Hall
Okay, she's a chick that whines about all things horrible in her life. As a chick, I'm okay with that sometimes.

There have been so many more. Ozzy, Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth, Metallica, 7 Mary 3, U2, Depeche Mode, Pink Floyd. All great. I've been to some real bummers too.

Eileen

Re: Speaking of music, best live concerts ever attended by BReNt at 10/28/01 11:32:38 AM

Slayer-7/3/2001/ Maybe the best band I've ever seen live. Pyros, a great stage show, and others were absent, but they didn't need one. They put on an amazing show, every song sounded perfect, and had amazing precense. Certainly the band I've gone the craziest for at a live show. There set list could have been a little better, but it was still great. Also, the psycho himself, Pantera Psycho was at the same one I was, and i got to meet him which was pretty cool.

Black Sabbath:6/9/2001Very, very classic show. The real reason I went to Ozzfest 2001, despite the pathetic crappy bands such as Linkin Park, Crazy Town, Papa Roach, and Drowning Pool. They had a short set list for being the headliner, but still was VERY classic. One of the first heavy metal bands still put on a great heavy metal show.

Pantera : 7/3/2001/This was the headlining band at the Slayer concert, they weren't as good as Slayer, but did the opposite of what Slayer did, and added difference in the show, like Pyro's, a stage show, guest apperances, etc. I'll say that Phil Anselmo's (vocalist) voice could be a bit better live.

Megadeth: 10/5/2001/This was in a VERY small club, with the floor being EXTREMELY small, like 25 feet from, left to right, maybe even shorter. But it felt more as if all the fans were together and with the music for Megadeth. Megadeth does not have the best stage precense in the beginning of the show, they really just stand there, but in the end it gets WAY better. The highlight of the show is when for the encore Dave Mustaine (Guitarist and Vocalist) came out talking crap about Osama bin Laden and said " it disturbed me when they said they were going to rage the HOLY WARS against US!" Holy Wars/The Punishment Due is one of their best songs, and they were damn good at saying that phrase, and of course played it.

A few other good ones:
Aerosmith: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001 Seen em 4 times, puts on a good live show but too many teeny boppers these days.
KoRn: Great stage show, everything changes.
Marilyn Manson: Got me into him more.

Biggest Dissapointments (These were all good though, dont miisunderstand me

The Misfits: 10/11/2001: My most recent concert. The best view ive ever had. but Punk Rockers can be disrespectful and try to act cool too much, and i was getting squished too much, and The Misfits didnt have the greatest sound live. But at least i got to meet Jerry Only, the bassist!

Slipknot: 6/9/2001
The reason I was going to Ozzfest 2001 besides Sabbath. They were good, but the singers voice is not that great live. The pyros and crap were awesome, but I felt it could of been better.

Most Wanted:
Metallica
Anthrax (was supposed to see them record their NEW LIVE ALBUM with Judas Priest and ICED EARTH this month but was delayed due to the tragedy)
Iced Earth: Read Above
Fear Factory
Coal Chamber
S.O.D
Sepultura

Later

-Brent

Re: Speaking of music, best live concerts ever attended by MagnumAllan at 10/29/01 9:25:47 PM

+Live+, the band, at Zetafest in Miami about two months ago. The set didn't start til about 1am and lasted til 3am, and i was in the front row! It was an absolutely unbelievable experience. -Allan

Re: Speaking of music, best live concerts ever attended by gracie_0801 at 10/30/01 8:44:30 PM

I just realized how sad I really am.

Not much of a concert goer, though I love music (who doesn't?).

But I had to reply because this past May, I saw Sting in concert. It was incredible. The live version of Roxanne is something that should not be missed. Some of the more popular songs were a little stiff, but the rest of it was intimate and soulful.

If anyone finds the opportunity to do so, I would HIGHLY recommend (very highly recommend) going to see the theater/music troop, Stomp. They make music with everyday household items, and the show is very visually stimulating and humorous. It's the most enthralling live show I've ever seen. I seen Stomp five times, and my sixth will be this February. I never tire of seeing them live.

Some day I'll get to see Dave Matthews Band. And maybe, just maybe I'll see Alanis. What can I say, I'm a pop junkie.

Gracie

Re: Speaking of music, best live concerts ever attended by Eric P at 11/1/01 1:12:30 AM

Stomp!!! Whoo hoo! yes. I thouroughly agree. I was tapping my feet the WHOLE TIME. that was a great show. extremely rhythmic to say the least.

Eric P

U2 - The War Tour Tops My List by AtlantaCoaster at 11/1/01 8:30:41 PM

Hi PaTripman....

Great question...here is where I date myself...

There are MANY....

U2 at Capitol Theatre - Passaic, NJ - The War Tour - Spring 1983

The Pretenders - (Opening Band: Simple Minds) - Caldwell College - Caldwell, NJ - Summer 1984

U2 - (Opening Band: The Alarm) - Summer 1984 - Music On The Pier - New York City

Ministry at The Ritz (the old Greenwich Village location on 13th Street) - The Land of Rape and Honey Tour - December 1987

The Cure - Opening Band: 10000 Maniacs - Summer 1985 - Music On The Pier - New York City

R.E.M. (no opening band) - the Preconstruction Tour - June 1984 - in a GYMNASIUM at Drew University - Madison, Nj

Psychedelic Furs - (Opening Band: Rubber Rodeo (who were AWFUL - but The Furs were GREAT!) - Fall 1984 - Capitol Theatre - Passaic, NJ

Siouxsie and the Banshees at Rutgers University - Winter 1984

I could go on and on...but those are only a handful of shows that I could list...

Best Regards, Bill M. / AtlantaCoaster

Re: U2 - The War Tour Tops My List by junebugg junebugg Profile at 11/2/01 8:27:56 AM

> The Pretenders - (Opening Band: Simple Minds) -
> Caldwell College - Caldwell, NJ - Summer 1984

UGH! I wanted to see this tour but mom would't let me go! I was only in 9th grade at the time!

> U2 - (Opening Band: The Alarm) - Summer 1984 - Music
> On The Pier - New York City

Did'nt get to see U2 until the Unforgettable Fire Tour at the Coliseum in Hampton, VA. I did get to see the Alarm in Norfolk later on as well.

> Ministry at The Ritz (the old Greenwich Village
> location on 13th Street) - The Land of Rape and
> Honey Tour - December 1987

OMG! I saw this show in DC! It was INSANE!!!!!!

> The Cure - Opening Band: 10000 Maniacs - Summer
> 1985 - Music On The Pier - New York City

First Cure show I saw was the Standing on the Beach tour in 1986 at the Merriweather Post in Columbia, MD. I've seen every tour after that and The Prayer Tour (Disintegration album) was the best by far!

> R.E.M. (no opening band) - the Preconstruction Tour -
> June 1984 - in a GYMNASIUM at Drew University -
> Madison, Nj

I saw R.E.M. at William and Mary Hall in 1988 I believe.

> Psychedelic Furs - (Opening Band: Rubber Rodeo (who
> were AWFUL - but The Furs were GREAT!) - Fall 1984 -
> Capitol Theatre - Passaic, NJ

I love the Furs! I've seen them about 7 or 8 times and I'm going to see them again with Echo & The Bunnymen in DC on Nov 17.

> Siouxsie and the Banshees at Rutgers University -
> Winter 1984

First Siouxsie show for me was the Tinderbox Tour at the Boathouse in Norfolk, VA in 1986! Man what an awesome 3 hour show!!!!

BTW, did I ever mntion that I saw The Fixx and Flock of Seagulls together at BGW back in 1983?

- junebugg
Who is very impressed with Bill's taste in Music! :-)

Re: Speaking of music, best live concerts ever attended by montumax at 11/2/01 8:40:51 PM

The two Pink Floyd concerts that I've been two are my all time favourites. I did get to see Roger Waters' solo tour last year and it was okay. Although I'd like to see a Floyd reunion, I just don't see it happening.

The first Billy Joel/Elton John concert I saw at Death Valley stadium at Clemson was incredible. The place was packed and rocking. When I saw them this past year in Charlotte, it just wasn't the same. It was still a good concert but it just didn't capture the magic of the first one.

Other favourites of mine...

Tears for Fears-Sowing the Seeds of Love tour (5th row at the Paladium at Carowinds)

Billy Idol on the Whiplash Smile tour

Blondie on their reunion tour two (?) years ago at the House of Blues at Myrtle Beach.

Max

Re: Speaking of music, best live concerts ever attended by PINK FLOYD FANATIC at 11/3/01 8:02:01 PM

Pink Floyd is the GREATEST LIVE BAND IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!!! I saw them in 1988 and 1994 and need to see them again as well as a VH/DLR reunion!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: U2 - The War Tour Tops My List by comet3506 at 11/4/01 1:50:12 AM

Man I really wish I could have been old enough to see U2 back in the 80's when they toured for albums such as War and the Joshua Tree. I didn't get into them till after thier Popmart tour. I have managed to see them now three times on thier elevation tour, and its still good to see that they play even thier earliest hits such as Sunday Bloody SUnday, I will follow, New Years Day, and Out of Control. Bill, have you managed to see them on thier elevation tour yet? Just wondering what you thought.

comet