Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Open Topic > Krispy Kreme, the good, the bad and the ugly.

Krispy Kreme, the good, the bad and the ugly.

Capler

Posted:
10/11/01 at
12:11:31 PM

Views: 852

I know that these doughnuts are very good but I am still amazed at how people are taking to them in other parts of the country. Sunday I read an AP story about a store that is about to open in Seattle. The workers are being trained in a secret location for fear of being mobbed at the store. Again the dougnut are good, but are they that good? You see there is this little problem with Krispy Kreme doughnuts, and I believe that it is criminal. The red "Hot Now" sign in the window is a physicological trigger. When people see this sign, their brain forces them to crave the doughnuts. You walk into the store with the good intention of only getting one but the price structure tells you that a half dozen would be cheaper. When you place your order for a half dozen and the worker charges you for six individuals ones you then realize that for a few cents more you could have a whole dozen. Well right after you change your order to a dozen, the worker informs you that for only $1.00 more you can get another dozen. After spending $5.50 and walking out with 2 dozens of hot glaze, you get in the car and wolf down two quickly. The doughnuts are so sweet and rich that nobody can eat more than two before hitting a brick wall. Then and only then do you realize that you have been had. You have spent almost $6.00 for 2 doughnuts. You will end up giving the rest away to friends, family and co-workers. But the sad part about this awful cycle is that it will repeat itself again the following week. There is just something about that red "Hot Now" sign and the sight of the girl taking the hot doughnuts off the line with the little wooden stick that is just criminal.

Re: Krispy Kreme, the good, the bad and the ugly. by junebugg junebugg Profile at 10/12/01 3:39:54 PM

> The doughnuts are so sweet and rich that nobody
> can eat more than two before hitting a brick wall.

Only Two!!!

I can do at least 6-8 before I hit the wall. :)

- junebugg

Re: Krispy Kreme, the good, the bad and the ugly. by CoastaPlaya at 10/14/01 12:32:08 AM

Let's see--I think I did 8 (7 plus the one the guy just handed me over the counter), then wolfed down two coney dogs & fries, then drove two blocks to an Indian restaurant for dinner.

But that's another story...

-'Playa

Re: Krispy Kreme, the good, the bad and the ugly. by junebugg junebugg Profile at 10/14/01 1:02:22 AM

> then wolfed down two coney dogs & fries, then
> drove two blocks to an Indian restaurant for dinner.

But that's another story...

OMG! I bet your guts were tore up! :-)

- junebugg
Who would like to hear about that "other" story! :-)

Re: Krispy Kreme, the good, the bad and the ugly. by gracie_0801 at 10/14/01 4:54:44 PM

While I've seen a lot about Krispy Kremes on this post lately and haven't been paying attention to it, I have to say that I am in the minority when I say that these donuts flat out suck.

I know I'm going to get all sorts of stuff now, but how can anyone eat that much sugar and say, "YUMMY!" I'm no stranger to sugar or donuts, but come on! There are limits to how much sludge your body can handle. Trust me, I'm chunky, I know!

I'm sorry to come down on these donuts like this, but I just can't stand them. Blech. Sorry, guys. :)

Gracie (with a joking, but personally accurate opinion of Krisy Krap donuts)

P.S. Please take this lightly. That's how it's meant.

Re: Krispy Kreme, the good, the bad and the ugly. by ray p at 10/16/01 4:07:50 PM

This is the first time I headed over to this board and I'm glad I did! They sell KK donuts down in our employee cafeteria... so that is usually my morning sugar rush. The chocolate glazed creme filled donuts are without question my favorites. Get me two of those and a glass of Mountain Dew and I'm ready to go!

I must say though thatthe best donuts anywhere are the legendary Tim Horton's donuts. There's a TH store at every exit (or so it seems) between Niagara Falls and Toronto and they have THE best glazed chocolate (devil's food) donuts. Mmmm.... chocolate! There's a few Tim Horton's here in the States (I stopped at one last weekend in East Palestine, Ohio), but for some reason, they don't taste as good as the Canadian ones.

Capler, thanks for the suggestion for moving to this board. There's some good stuff here I will have to respond to!

ray p.

Re: Krispy Kreme, the good, the bad and the ugly. by Capler at 10/17/01 11:50:02 AM

Ray what are you trying to do by eat a KK chocolate glaze and drinking a Mountain Dew. Do you have any idea how much sugar we are taking about? I steer clean away from the chocolate ones, they are just way too much for me. I'm shaking as I type this. If you gotta have them I suggest you have a Sprite with it. Oh but wait, your school has Pepsi products. Apparently you attend a very good school. Now on to this Tim Horton thing you got going on, Are you sure you are not Canadian? You have to be Canadian to feel that way or else you don't have a Krispy Kreme factory store in your area where you can get them hot off of the line. If not there is no fear because the latest KK news as of last week is that they have invented a doughnut machine for smaller non factory stores. This will allow them to put in doughnut stores and not have to open a large factory store to service supermarkets. Again Ray drop that chocolate doughnut and back away from the computer. It only leads to commas and sticky keyboards anyway.

Capler

Re: Krispy Kreme, the good, the bad and the ugly. by ray p at 10/17/01 2:39:41 PM

Actually Capler, I NEED that sugar rush in the mornings. When you get up at 5:30 and arrive at work by 7:00, I need all the help I can get trying to wake up!

I work at Progressive and we've got Krispy Kreme donuts (not baked here obviously), Starbuck's Coffee, and Freshen's Yogurt and Smoothies. We also have both Coke and Pepsi products to choose from, so I consider myself lucky.

The closest Krispy Kreme "factory" store is about a 45-minute drive from where I live, but I have had a KK donut that was "Hot No" (the 'w' on the sign was burned out!) and wasn't completely impressed. Tim Horton's on the other hand are just fabulous. Their slogan is "Always Fresh" and I have never once had a stale TH donut. I don't know what that's all aboot!
ray p.

WHAAA? Whatchatalkinbout Seeta?? (like you WEREN'T expecting this response) by CoastaPlaya at 10/18/01 7:36:20 PM

(Gasp) Unbelievable! Lies! All lies!

Gracia had to come to her conclusion through one of the following ways:

- choosing the wrong variety EVERY time she goes
(Hot ones? Naah--whatcha got in creme filled?)
- a serious craving for sprinkles, weird colors or goofy shapes in her donuts
- a bad experience as a child
(i.e. chased home from school by KK-wielding bullies or 3rd degree tongue burns from hot donuts)
- something else just so frightening I don't even wanna know about it

Don't you get it? People are supposed to like Krispy Kremes. It's your duty--nay, responsibility--to love them.

Share your KK experiences with us, Seeta.

Where did you get your KKs? Were they 3 days old from a gas station? Did you fall asleep working on a term paper and wake up with one plastered to the side of your head? What tragic circumstance could possibly turn you against the most perfect iteration of all fried dough? We're here to help...

-CPlaya
(Tongue firmly planted in cheek, if you haven't already guessed)

Re: WHAAA? Whatchatalkinbout Seeta?? (like you WEREN'T expecting this respo by Capler at 10/19/01 12:17:11 PM

Next time she drive by a store she should stare at the HOT NOW sign a little longer. Apparently she has a very strong will, and is able to look away before the Mojo sets in. Mojo, I like that word.

Ever heard of a sugar high? by gracie_0801 at 10/24/01 12:06:32 AM

I admit I've not had KK hot doughnuts/donuts/d'ohnuts. But the only KK store I was near was on the other side of town from me, and always packed. I don't like donuts enough to wait in a store full of yuppies (it's in the burbs of Des Moines) for them.

The donuts I've had were in a box that someone had bought from the store as an office pick me up. So, they were not hot.

And as for sprinkles and colors . . . what's wrong wid dat? Huh?!

No, really, I've had glazed and I think maybe one or two cream filled, and maybe another one. I didn't like any of them.

The best donuts I've ever had were from a grocery store named Dahl's in Des Moines.

KK is just way too sugary. Tooooooo muuuccchhh glllllaaaaazzzzzeeeee!

Gracie/Seeta (tongue also planted firmly in cheek. Mine, I mean.)

Re: WHAAA? Whatchatalkinbout Seeta?? (like you WEREN'T expecting this respo by gracie_0801 at 10/24/01 12:11:57 AM

>Next time she drive by a store she should stare at >the HOT NOW sign a little longer. Apparently she >has a very strong will, and is able to look away >before the Mojo sets in. Mojo, I like that word.

You are encouraging motor vehicle accidents? :)

You know, adult stores have the HOT NOW signs on them too . . .

And I don't appreciate the insult that I have a stong will. I'm supposed to be doing homework at this very moment . . .

One more thing . . . Mojo is a villian on the Powerpuff Girls and is what Dr. Evil stoled from Austin Danger Powers.

Sorry. I had a moment. :D

Gracie/Seeta

Oh, so NOW we're all over yuppies... by CoastaPlaya at 10/26/01 8:44:18 PM

I admit I've not had KK hot doughnuts/donuts/d'ohnuts. But the only KK store I was near was on the other side of town from me, and always packed. I don't like donuts enough to wait in a store full of yuppies (it's in the burbs of Des Moines) for them.

Fine, so you've never really had a KK to begin with. But what's up with the yuppie thing? I thought yuppies were people who wore knit ties with squared bottoms, played 'St. Elmo's Fire' on their stereos and thought Reagan and Ollie North were heroes.

Are people yuppies just because they live in a certain part of town?

I live in a 'burb 1/2 hour south of the Cities here. Maybe I live in a 10 year-old split level a quarter-mile from a lake on an acre lot with a tub-sized Jacuzzi. So? Okay...I used to drive a minivan, too. That doesn't mean anything, either. And maybe I go to a coffehouse with a fireplace for cappucino every now and then....hey, wait a second.

Did I mention the house was an inoffensive beige color?

Shut up Seeta SHUT UP!!!! Now look what you've done. I've got to take a long hot bath and try to wash the stink of yuppieness off. Oooooh, how my flesh crawls!

-CPlaya the sellout KK-eating yuppie (buppie?)