Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Open Topic > This may sound cold hearted, but it's not intended to be that way.

This may sound cold hearted, but it's not intended to be that way.

BGW

Posted:
9/13/01 at
9:03:31 AM

Views: 586

Should the NFL play this weekend?

If anybody follows sports and listen to national sports talk radio or watches ESPN, you will realize this is a controversial subject. Back when JFK was assassinated on a Friday, the NFL still played games on Sunday. Pete Rozell regretted the decision to have them play for the rest of his life, and always cited that as the thing he regretted the most in his life. Come Sunday, we will be 5 days removed from the situation. Do we want to the appearance that this will still have us down on the matt that long from now? There are many other aspects to compare here, such as safety and logistics with airlines and whatever; I just am wondering your opinions.

Myself, I think they should play them. I will post my reasons after I get some input from the URC community.

Rob

I believe we need to move on the best we can, and extract justified military action on all parties involved with this.

Re: This may sound cold hearted, but it's not intended to be that way. by THE BEASTmaster at 9/13/01 11:30:00 AM

As of Tuesday, I could care less about football and baseball now. Those are my least problems. I will still go to SFKK and CP this month though, but those will be last trips for the season.

Bill, who is always proud to be an American, Yost

Coaster Shots

There will be no football this weekend. by BGW at 9/13/01 12:23:48 PM

http://nfl.com/news/2001/nflstatements_091101.html

The NFL has cancelled the games for this week.

Re: This may sound cold hearted, but it's not intended to be that way. by Pantera Psycho at 9/13/01 12:32:05 PM

I really wish they wouldn't have done that, it's true that this should really be on the bottom of our priorities list right now, but still, it's only giving the terrorists more credit for what they've done, it's giving them a bigger victory, which I feel is something we have to stray from, but then again, also thinking about the players, I think they should've been the ones to make the decision since they'd be the ones playing, I hope that's how it went.

Re: This may sound cold hearted, but it's not intended to be that way. by Josh at 9/13/01 1:36:00 PM

I AGREE WITH THEM CANCLING THE GAMES. THEY CAN ATTRACT ALOT OF PEOPLE IN A SMALL SPACE, AND GOD FORBIDE THEY ATTACK AGAIN THAT MAY BE SOMETHING THEY TARGET. ALOT OF INNOCENT PEOPLE IN A SMALL SPACE.

GOD BLESS EVERYONE AFFECTED BY THIS TRAGEDY

ALWAYS REMBER ONE THING

UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL!

Re: This may sound cold hearted, but it's not intended to be that way. by Jersey Joe at 9/14/01 10:52:39 AM

I think they all made the right move by canceling the games.

I am also proud of the baseball league for announcing they will wear flags on the back of their uniforms for the rest of the season. Kudos to baseball!

Joe

Returning to normal by EBL at 9/16/01 11:57:38 PM

I fully understand why sporting events were cancelled, but we do need to return to normal. The longer we sit around and mope, the harder it will be. This is what the terrorists wanted to do---disrupt our lives and cause us a lot of grief.

The faster we get back on our feet and move on, the stronger our message to bin Laden and his buddies that we are a lot stronger than they could ever imagine.

Eric

Re: Returning to normal by JAL1 at 9/21/01 12:31:55 AM

This decision by the NFL, Major League Baseball, NCAA, and others to cancel their games this last weekend wasn't necessarily done with the intention to sit around and moan about what happened, but rather it was done out of respect, and honor for those that lost their lives, loved ones, and the tragedy in general. There was also probably some security concerns as well. Not being able to live one week without sports is sad. I myself am a big football fan, but I can understand and respect this decision. This country will get back on its feet in due time. Going one or two weeks without sports isn't going to make this country look weak (and it isn't going to kill you either). By constrast, this country has shown that it can come together, and support one another during a time like this. Now that shows STRENGTH.

God bless America.

Jim

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.