Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Open Topic > Game Over

Game Over

d_n_s_u

Posted:
4/7/12 at
3:11:24 PM

Views: 6134

I guess for the last 30 years or so I can count myself as someone who has enjoyed playing video games.

From my first experience of Space Invaders, Frogger, Asteroids and Pacman in the arcades of Liverpool and Southport to the latest PS3 and Wii games I reckon I've played a fair few games in my time via the Nes, Snes, Sega Megadrive, Jaguar, N64, Playstatiions 1-3, XBox, Gamecube and Wii

Jeez I remember travelling 60 miles one weekend to buy an American Import version of Zelda: A Link to the Past complete with convertor just to satisfy my gaming desire for all things SNES RPG before they were released in the UK

I still have Enix's wonderful Final Fantasy 3 and Secret of Mana that were able to transport me into other worlds and pull me in.

I've played every Zelda game to date..and yes even attempted to play Zelda on a machine called the Phillips CDi (I went half with a mate to buy the machine: £300 EACH and all the games were unplayable.)

I spent many an hour wandering Hyrule's fields and dungeons in The Ocarina of Time: A game I rate as probably the best game I have ever played.

I liken the computer games of yesteryear to the parks and rides of yesteryear in that they hold a very special place inside me.

Maybe I'm just getting old but apart from its remarkable control system - Skyward Sword (Zelda's latest)- felt too linear and dare I say it..shock, horror..was boring as a result??!!??

Did the games back whenever have more depth, more imagination, better music and better story arcs or is this just a case of Rose Tinted Glasses and me growing old?

I don't know.

The gaming bubble has finally burst for me and EBay beckons for my consoles and games.

Not before time perhaps.

Great memories though :-)

* This post was modified at 4/7/12 4:16:30 PM *