Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Open Topic > RIP Monkee Davey Jones

RIP Monkee Davey Jones

d_n_s_u

Posted:
2/29/12 at
1:44:18 PM

Views: 6413

Davy Jones, Manchester-born lead singer with 60s band The Monkees, has died aged 65, his publicist has confirmed.

He died in his sleep at his home in Florida. His publicist, Deborah Robicheau, said he had a massive heart attack.

The band, who included musicians Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork, were famous for hits including Daydream Believer and I'm a Believer.

- Sad news indeed :-(

Re: RIP Monkee Davey Jones by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 2/29/12 3:05:16 PM
Gary, great minds DO think alike. I came over here to post this, and here you are!

Man, I'm hurting. I lost my cousin this weekend, but she wasn't part of my life for nearly as long as Davy. I was a HUGE fan of the Monkees, based on re-runs of the show, which started in 1966, two years after I was born. Re-runs in the mid-70's turned me on to the group. The first record I ever owned was Monkees' Greatest Hits. Davy was also the first musical performer I ever saw sing live. Sometime in the late 70's, my sister took me, her friend Joanne, and Joanne's brother, to see Davy and Micky Dolenz in concert (with sidemen) at the Riverboat Cafe in the Empire State Building. I was around, I'm guessing, 11 or 12 years old. Joanne's cousin used to date Davy on your side of the pond, so we gave the waiter a note to take backstage. Next thing, Davy's at our table, shaking hands, hugging Joanne, signing autographs, and chatting. He invited us backstage, where Micky ceased being my favorite Monkee due to the (literal) squiggly line he gave me as an autograph. Mike became my favorite Monkee that day, but I always had a special place in my heart for Davy. R.I.P, Davy. You sang "I Wanna Be Free"...now you are.

Mike

*EDIT* Reports here say he was 66, not 65, but that's nit-picking.

* This post was modified at 3/1/12 1:14:30 PM *

Re: RIP Monkee Davey Jones by d_n_s_u at 2/29/12 5:25:03 PM
Hi Mike

Yes, BBC got it wrong about his age.

I never saw them live but I grew up with The Monkees TV show..I used to buy packs of Monkees cards that came with a piece of bubblegum with my pocket money.

This sort of thing reminds me about the fragility of life.

RIP..Very sad.

Re: RIP Monkee Davey Jones by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 2/29/12 8:05:23 PM
Along with the show I mentioned above, I saw them three other times on reunion tours in the late 80's..including once with Weird Al Yankovic as the opening act..and once at Six Flags Great Adventure with Herman's Hermits, the Grass Roots, and Gary Puckett.