Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Open Topic > The Pop Culture Graveyard

The Pop Culture Graveyard

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
1/27/12 at
1:04:08 PM

Views: 6495

We lost two this week..Robert Hegyes, who played Juan Epstein, an original Sweathog on Welcome Back, Kotter; And Dick Tufeld, the voice of Robby The Robot on the Lost In Space TV show, as well as the God-Awful movie from some years ago with Mimi Rogers, Gary Oldman, and Matt LeBlanc..

Re: The Pop Culture Graveyard by MABrider MABrider Profile at 1/27/12 10:59:16 PM

I read about Heyges (Epstein) today.

Had no clue who Tufeld was, but I certainly remember
"Danger, Will Robinson!"

Mike B.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: The Pop Culture Graveyard by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 1/28/12 9:19:17 PM

Now we lost Ian Abercrombie..Mr. Pitt on Seinfeld. I looked at his IMDB page..he was in Young Frankenstein, and guested at least once on what seems to be half of the TV shows to air in the 70's and 80's! Falcon Crest, Dynasty, Fantasy Island, Three's Company..you name it!

Re: The Pop Culture Graveyard by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 2/4/12 10:12:02 AM

Ben Gazzara at 81. I remember my parents taking me to see Capone in the mid-70's on a double feature with Burt Reynolds' Hustle. Gazzara's perf always struck me as better than DeNiro's over the top portrayal of Capone in The Untouchables (great movie, though.) I also thought Ben's "bad guy" in the so-so Patrick Swayze film Road House was a keeper.

*EDIT* And let's not forget Don Cornelius. I watched Soul Train occasiaonally for the hot girls on the dance line, but the man epitomized "cool" in that era.

For the few who look at this board, let's use this thread to note the passing of other ...well, "celebrities" may not be the best word, but you get my drift. Bigger names will probably float in, too...

Mike

Re: The Pop Culture Graveyard by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/19/12 4:44:48 PM
Tough week in Music:

Dick Clark

Levon Helm

Richie Teeter
(not that the name will mean anything to anyone here, but he was the drummer for a band I liked, the Dictators...the last band I saw at CBGB)

Re: The Pop Culture Graveyard by d_n_s_u at 4/20/12 12:20:27 PM
^^^ :-( All very sad news.

I think I'm right in saying that Levon Helm was the only American amongst Canadians in the (fantastic) Band that churned out great Americana music.

With Robin Gibb of the Bee Gees in a coma at present and the death of Greg Ham - this is an incredibly sad time.

"...The 58-year-old Greg Ham will be remembered for playing the famous flute riff from the Men at Work's biggest hit, Down Under.

Two friends found his body. They became concerned about Ham's well-being having not heard from him for some time.

Ham joined Men At Work in 1979 playing flute, harmonica, saxophone and keyboards.

The band achieved international fame in the 1980s with the 1983 hit Down Under, while their album, Business As Usual, topped the Australian, US and British charts.

However, their fame was overshadowed in recent years by a copyright dispute over the Down Under flute riff.

In 2010 Australia's Federal Court ruled band members partly copied the children's folk tune Kookaburra Sits in the Old Gum Tree, penned more than 75 years ago.

Last year, EMI lost an appeal against the ruling and, along with songwriters Colin Hay and Ron Strykert, were ordered to pay 5% of the song's royalties since 2002 - as well as future earnings - to the folk song's copyright owners.

Ham said at the time that he was shattered by the ruling, telling Fairfax Media: "It will be the way the song is remembered and I hate that.

"I'm terribly disappointed that that's the way I'm going to be remembered - for copying something."

Men At Work won the Grammy Award for Best New Artist in 1983 before disbanding in 1985..."

BBC News

* This post was modified at 4/20/12 12:45:11 PM *

Re: The Pop Culture Graveyard by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/4/12 2:25:59 PM
Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys at 47. Although I really didn't keep up with their output after the first (major) album, that album, Licensed To Ill, remains a major milestone to me. I just listened to it on my way back from Kings Dominion two weeks ago. Fight For Your Right blew me away the first time I heard it, the night I saw the Cramps in NYC. Bought the cassette (!!).. loved it. I was in my early twenties at the time, and that record was the soundtrack to my life for awhile. What some may not know is that the trio were a NYC hardcore punk band before turning to rap. Their Cookie Puss, released before LTI, was a classic too, although I haven't heard it in more than 25 years. R.I.P, Adam.
Re: The Pop Culture Graveyard by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/8/12 10:36:43 AM
Maurice Sendak at 83. Author of Where The Wild Things Are...my third favorite children's book...#2 is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and NOTHING tops Green Eggs and Ham..except maybe ketchup for some people.
Re: The Pop Culture Graveyard by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/13/12 6:58:31 AM
Donald "Duck" Dunn, bass player for Rock Hall Of Famers Booker T. and the MG's, at 70. Author of one of the great bass lines in the genre, "Green Onions." I saw him play live twice, including a festival staged by the theater at which I work. My personal connection with Dunn is through what you may remember is my favorite movie, The Blues Brothers..he was their bass player. RIP, "Duck."

*EDIT* Oops. Dunn joined Booker T and the MG's AFTER they recorded Green Onions. However, he did play with them when they were the house band at Stax Records, playing on recordings by Otis Redding (Sittin' On The Dock Of The Bay,) Sam and Dave (Hold On, I'm Comin',) and Wilson Pickett (In The Midnight Hour.)

* This post was modified at 5/14/12 12:02:20 PM *

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: The Pop Culture Graveyard by sarki7 sarki7 Profile at 5/17/12 12:20:03 PM
Donna Summers has died of cancer:
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music-arts/donna-summer-dead-63-legendary-disco-singer-succumbs-battle-cancer-article-1.1079795
Coaster Count: 331 (268/63)
Favorite Steel, Wood: Montu, Thunderhead
www.gregscoasterphotos.com ← Go there! It's good!
Re: The Pop Culture Graveyard by d_n_s_u at 5/17/12 12:45:21 PM
^^^^^^

Very sad news. RIP

Re: The Pop Culture Graveyard by d_n_s_u at 5/20/12 12:18:03 PM
Crowded House drummer Peter Jones has died at the age of 45.

According to newspaper reports, the Liverpool-born musician had been suffering from brain cancer.

A statement published on the Antipodean band's website read: "We are in mourning today for the death of Pete Jones.

"We remember him as a warm-hearted, funny and talented man, who was a valuable member of Crowded House. He played with style and spirit."

It continued: "We salute him and send our love and best thoughts to his family and friends."

Jones replaced the band's previous drummer, Paul Hester, in 1994.

Hester killed himself after suffering from depression in 2005.

Crowded House were formed in 1985 and went on to have worldwide success with hits such as Weather With You and Don't Dream Its Over.

Re: The Pop Culture Graveyard by MABrider MABrider Profile at 5/20/12 10:12:57 PM
Robin Gibb died today, May 20.
RIP.
Mike B.
Re: The Pop Culture Graveyard by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/21/12 1:03:08 PM
MABrider said:

Robin Gibb died today, May 20.
RIP.

Yeah, saw that. Interestingly, their mom has now outlived and buried three of her four sons. You don't see that often. Barbara Gibb is 91.

Re: The Pop Culture Graveyard by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/22/12 4:08:56 PM
Eugene Polley died at 96. Everyone leaves their mark. Eugene invented the wireless TV remote control.
Re: The Pop Culture Graveyard by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 6/3/12 7:31:56 PM
Richard Dawson at 79, Remembered for Hogan's Heroes, made his mark as the Paul Lynde of Match Game, and did a great job as host of Family Feud..best of the multiple hosts the show has had, although Ray Combs was very good. My best memory of the man is as the villainous game show host in the rather under-rated (IMO) Schwarzenegger movie The Running Man, adapted from a Stephen King story. I know, it ain't exactly the Shawshank Redemption or Stand By Me, but I found it entertaining.
Re: The Pop Culture Graveyard by MABrider MABrider Profile at 6/4/12 10:15:06 PM
beastmaster said:

movie The Running Man, adapted from a Stephen King story. I know, it ain't exactly the Shawshank Redemption or Stand By Me, but I found it entertaining.

Running Man was entertaining, but it was based on the story by Richard Bachman.*
Tomayto-Tomahto.
;-)

*Me, being anal.

Mike B.
Re: The Pop Culture Graveyard by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/8/12 5:48:55 PM
Ernest Borgnine at 95. The performance that stood out most was as ex-cop Mike Rogo in The Poseidon Adventure. I never saw but a few of his other portrayals but he always seemed like a good, down-to-earth guy in whatever I read about him over the years. He was also terrific in The Wild Bunch. I remember an awful mid-70's horror flick called The Devil's Rain...he was the only decent thing about it.

* This post was modified at 7/8/12 6:08:09 PM *

Re: The Pop Culture Graveyard by d_n_s_u at 7/10/12 2:21:08 PM
..and don't forget Mermaid Man from SpongeBob :-)

Hope all is well with you Mike after your recent illness.

Gary

Re: The Pop Culture Graveyard by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/10/12 2:40:18 PM
d_n_s_u said:

..and don't forget Mermaid Man from SpongeBob :-)

Hope all is well with you Mike after your recent illness.

Gary

I didn't even KNOW about Spongebob until I read the obits.

Thanks for the good wishes, Gary. My diabetes is obviously always going to be an issue, but right now it's a severely sunburned left foot that's making my life more miserable than it usually is
:(

Curious..do you ever get to this side of the pond? Look me up if you ever hit the East Coast here.

Mike

Re: The Pop Culture Graveyard by d_n_s_u at 7/16/12 2:36:31 PM
Jon Lord, keyboard player and a founder member of 1970s rock band Deep Purple, has died, aged 71

From the BBC:

"..Lord, who co-wrote many of the group's legendary songs including Smoke On The Water, had been receiving treatment for pancreatic cancer since last August.

He co-founded Deep Purple in 1968 and also played with bands including Whitesnake during his career.

He died at the London Clinic on Monday, surrounded by family. "Jon passes from Darkness to Light," a statement said.

A classically-trained pianist, Lord was influenced by blues and jazz but approached his Hammond organ with a rock attitude and helped Deep Purple become pioneers of progressive and heavy rock.

The band established their sound and success at the start of the 1970s with albums including Deep Purple in Rock and Machine Head.

The group split up in 1976 but reformed in 1984 and the line-up has undergone numerous changes over the years, with Lord a mainstay until he left 2002.

In its classic years, the band also included guitarist Ritchie Blackmore, singer Ian Gillan, drummer Ian Paice and bassist Roger Glover.

Born in Leicester on 9 June, 1941, Jon Lord began playing piano and taking classical music lessons from an early age.

He received a scholarship to drama school in London at the age of 19, during which time he began playing jazz and rhythm and blues in pub gigs."

Re: The Pop Culture Graveyard by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/16/12 3:16:56 PM
I just saw that when I came back from lunch and sent the article to a buddy who was a Purple fan.
Re: The Pop Culture Graveyard by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/25/12 4:13:51 PM
Daily Double today:

Sherman Hemsley (the Jeffersons, Amen) at 74

Chad Everett at 75

Chad was best known for the 70's TV drama Medical Center, but I never watched that. I'll always know him as a pilot in Airplane II...the one who "turned to jelly."

There was a comedy team back in the late 90's or so called the Higgins Boys and Gruber. They did a spoof of the $20,000 Pyramid. One of the funniest bits I've ever seen, and Chad Everett figures prominently...in name only, as he does not appear.
I've tried for years to find the skit on line, but have had zero luck.

Re: The Pop Culture Graveyard by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/14/12 1:13:18 PM
Lost another Sweathog (see Epstein above.)

Ron Palillo, who played Arnold Horshack on Welcome Back, Kotter, dead at 63 of a heart attack. Horshack was always my favorite of the Sweathogs, and I used to do a pretty fair imitation of him. And Horshack is a very old and respected name. It means "cattle are dying."

Palillo also was a victim of Jason Voorhees in Friday the 13th Part VI.

Re: The Pop Culture Graveyard by d_n_s_u at 8/20/12 3:54:02 AM
A sad story of the 2 Scott's today

Tony Scott (Top Gun, True Romance etc) film director (Suicide note found) and Scott Mackenzie.."If you're goin' to San Francisco..be sure to wear some flowers in your hair.."

:-(

Re: The Pop Culture Graveyard by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/20/12 3:52:22 PM
Phyllis Diller, 95. No real thoughts...I never found her brand of "comedy" to my liking. I used to be a big fan of Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In as a kid, but even on there she did nothing for me.
Re: The Pop Culture Graveyard by Coaster316 at 8/20/12 4:02:44 PM
Very sad to hear of Phyllis Diller. 95 is great, but 96 would have been better.

She was responsible for one of my favorite one-liners I ever heard. When talking about how ugly she was as a youngster she said, "The only dates I could get as a kid with were Catholic boys during lent."

Re: The Pop Culture Graveyard by MABrider MABrider Profile at 8/21/12 12:27:13 PM
A Diller-ism that I liked was "Burt Reynolds once asked me out. I was in his room."
Mike B.
Re: The Pop Culture Graveyard by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/21/12 2:28:07 PM
MABrider said:

A Diller-ism that I liked was "Burt Reynolds once asked me out. I was in his room."

In all the obituaries I read that quoted her jokes, not a single one made me smile.

This one did.

Mike

* This post was modified at 8/21/12 3:52:12 PM *

Re: The Pop Culture Graveyard by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/29/12 1:28:51 PM
Forgot to post this a few days ago. Jerry Nelson died at 78. He was the voice (and previously, the puppeteer) of the Count on Sesame Street. He also was, for a time, the voice and puppeteer behind Mr. Snuffleupagus.

When I did a Charity marathon of 73 rides on Steel Force at Dorney in June, I annoyed the hell out of my companion by counting off each lap ala the Count as we finished.

* This post was modified at 8/29/12 2:35:56 PM *

Re: The Pop Culture Graveyard by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/4/12 4:44:50 PM
Michael Clarke Duncan at 54. Best known, obviously, as John Coffey in the Green Mile. I didn't see everyhing he made, but he had a presence that made him the only thing worth watching in crap like The Whole Nine Yards, Daredevil, and a movie that was slightly better than those..Armageddon.
Re: The Pop Culture Graveyard by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/28/12 11:37:43 AM
Herbert Lom died. I always thought he...and not Peter Sellers...was the funniest thing about the Pink Panther movies of the mid-70's.
Re: The Pop Culture Graveyard by sarki7 sarki7 Profile at 9/28/12 11:41:01 AM
Let's not forget Andy Williams. Not really a listener myself, but a huge figure in the country music industry.
Coaster Count: 331 (268/63)
Favorite Steel, Wood: Montu, Thunderhead
www.gregscoasterphotos.com ← Go there! It's good!
Re: The Pop Culture Graveyard by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/11/12 12:08:12 PM
Alex Karras at 77. Great football player, so-so actor. Bet known for playing Webster's adoptive father on the show of the same name. But to me, he'll always be Mongo. Blazing Saddles was not among my favorite Mel Brooks flicks (those honors belong to Young Frankenstein, Silent Movie, and Spaceballs.) But Karras certainly made a lasting impression in Brooks' Western comedy, punching out a horse and leaving us with the classic line.."Mongo just pawn in game of life." R.I.P, Mongo.
Re: The Pop Culture Graveyard by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 2/5/13 12:18:52 PM
Reg Presley at 71. No relation to Elvis, but he WAS the singer on one of the great one-hit wonders of the rock era...Wild Thing by the Troggs.

They SAY he's dead...but I wanna know for sure :)

Re: The Pop Culture Graveyard by MABrider MABrider Profile at 2/5/13 5:27:50 PM
beastmaster said:

Reg Presley at 71. No relation to Elvis, but he WAS the singer on one of the great one-hit wonders of the rock era...Wild Thing by the Troggs.

They SAY he's dead...but I wanna know for sure :)

^
I get it...

One hit?
Everybody knows of Wild Thing, for those of us of that era, it's embedded in our psyches. Hell, over the years the whole world has become aware of it!

The Troggs also had hits with "A girl like you" and "Love is all around" which was my favorite.

Mike B.

Mike B.
Re: The Pop Culture Graveyard by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 2/6/13 11:28:28 AM
You're right, Mike..I never hear the others, so I just referenced the one I really know. "One Hit Wonder" was the wrong choice of words..
Re: The Pop Culture Graveyard by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 3/6/13 4:35:47 PM
William Moody, better known to WWF fans as Paul Bearer, manager of the Undertaker, died yesterday at 58. He used to be known as Percival Pringle in other wrestling organizations, but I never saw him in that persona.

One of my favorite life moments was when I entered a Paul Bearer look-alike contest at an event. I got to go in the ring and shook hands with wrestler IRS on the entrance ramp. My friend dressed as the Undertaker, but he was shorter than me, so it was a strange pairing, but they wouldn't allow him to accompany me to the ring. I looked good, though...about a dozen fans wanted to take pics with me.

What I DIDN'T know was that he had a real life degree in mortuary science, drawing on that to create the character in the WWF. R.I.P, Paul.

Re: The Pop Culture Graveyard by d_n_s_u at 5/7/13 2:30:46 PM
"Harry" died today :-(

Visual effects master Ray Harryhausen, whose stop-motion wizardry graced such films as Jason and the Argonauts and Clash of the Titans, has died aged 92

He was one top American guy!

RIP sir. Scenes from your films still play with my brain.

BBC News

* This post was modified at 5/7/13 2:32:49 PM *

Re: The Pop Culture Graveyard by d_n_s_u at 10/27/13 2:18:01 PM
Lou Reed RIP
Re: The Pop Culture Graveyard by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/27/13 7:27:57 PM
Man, I was having a real good day today...GrAdv Closing Day, fresh squeezed O.J., and Friendly's ice cream. now this.

I wasn't a huge fan, but I have a ton of respect for the man, and always liked some of his stuff. Many years ago, I won tickets to the inaugural New York Music Award at a club in NYC. Reed performed a half-hour set to close the event, and was terrific. I'm glad to say I saw him once.

Mike

Re: The Pop Culture Graveyard by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/20/13 4:21:34 PM
We've recently lost Peter O'Toole and Joan Fontaine. But my personal "connection" was with Tom Laughlin. I enjoyed the Billy Jack movies he made in the early-mid 70's. Preaching non-violence while breaking bones. Good stuff!
Re: The Pop Culture Graveyard by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 1/6/14 12:41:26 PM
In recent days we've lost Academy Award-winning movie producer Saul Zaentz and Rock Hall Of Famer Phil Everly. Everly's singing speaks for itself..such great tunes and harmonies with brother Don.

Unfortunately, most of my familiarity with Zaentz comes from his legal battles with John Fogerty and Creedence as the owner of Fantasy Records. They battled over money frequently, and Fogerty refused to play Creedence songs for years. Zaentz also sued over the supposed similarity of John's solo hit, The Pld Man Down The Road to Creedence's Run Through The Jungle. Fogerty won that battle. Two songs on John's Centerfield LP were written about Zaentz..Vanz Kant Danz and Mr. Greed.