Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Open Topic > Your Favourite Movies: The Number 1 Thread

Your Favourite Movies: The Number 1 Thread

d_n_s_u

Posted:
7/23/10 at
2:40:39 PM

Views: 801

Well...Here goes mine....My No. 1 choice does change as with all things but for now anyway...

TOY STORY

Well the trilogy actually but the first will always be the best in my mind.

Superlatives all the way..Pixar can do no wrong in my opinion.

WALL.E and Ratatouille and Bugs Life and Up and...

It goes on! :-)

Yep..

TOY STORY! :-)

Re: Your Favourite Movies: The Number 1 Thread by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/23/10 6:56:09 PM

> Well...Here goes mine....My No. 1 choice does change as
> with all things but for now anyway...

> TOY STORY

> Well the trilogy actually but the first will always be the
> best in my mind.

> Superlatives all the way..Pixar can do no wrong in my
> opinion.

> WALL.E and Ratatouille and Bugs Life and Up and...

> It goes on! :-)

> Yep..

> TOY STORY! :-)

I will post my #1 after my coaster weekend, but I just wanted to say..The first Toy Story is a favorite of mine, my favorite animated movie, and one of the most visually impressive movies I've ever seen. As a person who's partly deaf, visuals in movies are important to me. The first sequel actually outdoes the original in some respects, including storyline..I rank them equally. I tried to go see TS 3 two weekends ago and was unsuccessful..projector broke down and I had to get a refund.
Excellent choice, Gary!

Mike

Re: Your Favourite Movies: The Number 1 Thread by maelstrom-xiii maelstrom-xiii Profile at 7/26/10 10:24:25 AM

I've always heard nothing but good things about Toy Story, but I've never personally seen it. I've seen a lot of Pixar's other works, but not Toy Story. I may need to remedy that soon.

However, for my #1...it has to be The Crow, starring Brandon Lee. He actually died in the making of the film, but it is such a great movie. It really is one of the best comic book adaptation movies I've ever seen (not that it adhered 100% to the comic)...the sequels, not so much...but The Crow is an amazing film that I suggest everyone see if you haven't already.

Re: Your Favourite Movies: The Number 1 Thread by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/27/10 11:22:41 AM

My # 1 is John Landis' The Blues Brothers, released in 1980. It's quite simply the most purely entertaining movie I've seen, although it took many years to become my favorite. It's chock-full of classic lines, absurd humor (You get me my Cheez Wiz, boy?) pure wanton destruction of cars and property, great comic performances, and astounding musical numbers. My favorite musical, comedy, and film...The Blues Brothers!

Sad thing to watch it now and realize so many of the featured players are dead..Belushi, Cab Calloway, James Brown, John Lee Hooker, Kathleen Freeman, John Candy, Henry Gibson...

Mike

Re: Your Favourite Movies: The Number 1 Thread by d_n_s_u at 7/31/10 2:43:39 PM

Just got back from a family holiday in Wales and clicked onto this little corner of the net for updates.

Liked The Blues Brothers but not as much as your good self Mike.

I didn't realise so many stars had died. :-(

Fantastic car scenes.

Blues Brothers 2000 was a travesty though wasn't it? - What I remember of it anyway.

The Crow? Yep I enjoyed it but obviously not as much as you Mike. :-)

It goes to show that when it comes to the Moving Pictures tastes vary greatly.

Life's Rich Tapestry I guess!

Cheers for playing along guys. :-)

Gary

Re: Your Favourite Movies: The Number 1 Thread by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/31/10 3:02:24 PM

> Blues Brothers 2000 was a travesty though wasn't it? - What
> I remember of it anyway.

Should never have even been made. Coupla great musical numbers couldn't salvage it.

Mike
>

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Your Favourite Movies: The Number 1 Thread by d_n_s_u at 8/8/10 12:47:45 PM

Just saw Toy Story 3 again today - This time in 3D on an IMAX screen in Manchester.

Yes..It's a truly brilliant and poignant film and a fitting end to a wonderful trilogy.

Ann and I have taken Isabel to all three now over the years and have watched her grow up with the films.

Re: Your Favourite Movies: The Number 1 Thread by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/8/10 12:54:34 PM

> Just saw Toy Story 3 again today - This time in 3D on an
> IMAX screen in Manchester.

> Yes..It's a truly brilliant and poignant film and a fitting
> end to a wonderful trilogy.

> Ann and I have taken Isabel to all three now over the years
> and have watched her grow up with the films.

How old is Isabel?

I was thinking of seeing it today..the projector broke on my previous attempt. But it's no longer at the local 'plex. I guess I'll have to wait for DVD. That upsets me some, as I love the series as much as you do. But it may be a blessing in disguise. My partial deafness causes me to miss a lot of dialogue in the theater, even with an assistive listening headset. On DVD, I don't miss a word due to the captioning.

Mike

Re: Your Favourite Movies: The Number 1 Thread by d_n_s_u at 8/8/10 3:25:12 PM

Isabel has just turned 13..

Actually Mike your question has made me think..We couldn't have seen the original Toy Story at the cinema with her as it was made in '95..Isabel wasn't born until '97.. She saw the original first on VHS..

Ann now informs me that we took Isabel to see Toy Story 2 when she was 2 in '99. That was her first trip to the cinema.

Time playing tricks with my brain again..

I can empathise a little with you Mike regarding deafness - I'm deaf just in my right ear - Luckily my left is OK but I do miss bits of dialogue sometimes.

I think Toy Story 3 is the second best of the trilogy - I too believe the original was and remains the best of the series.

I hope you get to see the third part soon.

PS I was thinking of your choices of favourite movies the other day - Sky Movies showed Jaws, Hair and Rocky Horror over here within days of each other.

Just waiting for Blues Brothers and Dawn of the Dead :-)

Re: Your Favourite Movies: The Number 1 Thread by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/8/10 3:33:33 PM

>
> PS I was thinking of your choices of favourite movies the
> other day - Sky Movies showed Jaws, Hair and Rocky Horror
> over here within days of each other.

> Just waiting for Blues Brothers and Dawn of the Dead :-)

>
What's Sky Movies? A revival house? Film festival?

Re: Your Favourite Movies: The Number 1 Thread by d_n_s_u at 8/8/10 3:56:30 PM

Apologies Mike - Sky is the company that provides satellite TV here in the UK.

For a premium (of course) you can get the Sky Movies Package which consists of several themed movie channels.

I'm sure there are many similar set-ups in the USA

To get an idea of what we can get typically over here on any given day you can click:

http://movies.sky.com/sky-movies-home

Cheers

Gary