Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Open Topic > Your Favourite Movies: The Number 4 Thread

Your Favourite Movies: The Number 4 Thread

d_n_s_u

Posted:
7/9/10 at
1:40:59 PM

Views: 7394

I've posted this a little early as I'm going to be away from my computer for a couple of days..

For my No. 4 I'm going to nominate a film form the "Friends in Transition / Rites of Passage" sort of genre..

Worthy films I considered were Stand by Me, Diner, Big Wednesday, Breaking Away.. (All brilliant!!)

..And then it was a toss-up between The Last Picture Show and my eventual choice..

American Graffiti

4 Teenagers' coming of age on their last summer night before college.

Inspiration Point, Drive-Ins, Candy Clark, music blaring out of radios..Americana in pictures for this mesmorised Brit..

Yes, this masterpiece had it all.

Where were you in '62? :-)

Re: Your Favourite Movies: The Number 4 Thread by maelstrom-xiii maelstrom-xiii Profile at 7/9/10 2:49:47 PM

I'll post early, since you did. :)

I'm a huge fan of horror films. I've seen a ton, both old and new (although most new films fail to live up to the dread and terror of the old ones, somewhat like coasters sometimes...), and I must say that one that really struck a chord with me was...

Halloween.

This film was amazing the first time I saw it...it became an instant classic in my eyes (remember, I'm only 24 so it was made before my time as well), and I try to make sure and watch it every Oct 31...it has great acting from the Scream Queen, Jamie Lee Curtis and Dr. Loomis (Donald Pleasance)...a fantastic sense of "Don't check on that noise!" A perfect story about how some people are just bad...no reason why...they just are.

Now, to talk about the remake (directed by Rob Zombie) I thought it turned out okay, and the backstory on Michael Myers was decent, but it was a bit disappointing compared to the original.

So there you have it....Maelstrom's #4 Favorite Movie: Halloween!

Re: Your Favourite Movies: The Number 4 Thread by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/9/10 6:59:18 PM

American Graffiti is a film I used to enjoy, but I haven't seen it in some years. It's a period piece, and I think it seems somewhat dated. but for demonstrating relationships between friends of a certain age, few films of the era did it better than Lucas' creation. The music was the best thing about it, and I STILL don't understand why Paul LeMat didn't become the same kind of star that another face from the movie, Harrison Ford, did.

My #4 came just a couple of years later, and was also the second feature film directed by later Lucas collaborator Steven Spielberg....JAWS

1975, I was 10 years old when it came out. Scared the bejeebers outta me. Maelstrom picked Halloween. Every horror movie of every type owes a debt to JAWS. Really two movies in one. The first focusing on the attacks, the second the three leads' seagoing shark search. Most films are lucky if they have one jump-out-of-your-seat moment. JAWS has two! Robert Shaw's performance as Quint has stayed with me for 35 years...incredible. The movie has been spoofed AND paid homage to countless times, and has lost none of its impact. It's funny how, over the years, the quietest scene in the movie has become my favorite..Quint's telling the story of the sinking of the USS Indianapolis.

Mike

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Your Favourite Movies: The Number 4 Thread by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/9/10 8:54:02 PM

> I'm a huge fan of horror films.

Me too..mostly from the 70's and 80's, with a few notable exceptions.

I've seen a ton, both old
> and new (although most new films fail to live up to the
> dread and terror of the old ones, somewhat like coasters
> sometimes...),

Nice analogy!

> Halloween.

> I didn't catch Halloween on its original release, and didn't love it..I was in my gore phase and it doesn't deliver on that front. I've only seen it through twice, and it's very suspenseful and well made, to be sure.

Mike

Re: Bubbling Under The Top 5 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/9/10 9:13:17 PM

Although I know we have three to go, I thought I'd share some other titles that would be in my personal Top Forty...don't worry, there won't be 35 listed! Some have been remade..I'm referring to the original, and will designate those with an (O):

Toy Story
Toy Story 2
The Warriors(I wanted this to be in my top 5)
Grease
Batman (Burton '89)
E.T.
Beauty And The Beast (Disney Animated)
Titanic (solely for the second half, and Kate Winslet's boobs)
Terminator 2
Dead-Alive (Peter Jackson)
Airplane!
RoboCop
The Wizard Of Oz
Young Frankenstein
The Naked Gun
The Nightmare Before Christmas
The Hills Have Eyes(O)
The Hitcher(O)
A Nightmare On Elm Street (O)
Die Hard
The Toxic Avenger
Assault On Precinct 13 (O)
Face/Off

Mike (no, that's not a title..although there was a Travolta movie called "Michael"

Speaking of which, Maelstrom, I looked at your profile. I didn't know we had a third MICHAEL on this little island. I can't think of any others that frequent the main board either...

Re: Your Favourite Movies: The Number 4 Thread by maelstrom-xiii maelstrom-xiii Profile at 7/10/10 12:18:52 AM

JAWS is a good choice. Masterfully done, and great suspense during the search for the shark...

But don't bring up any of the sequels...

Re: Your Favourite Movies: The Number 4 Thread by d_n_s_u at 7/14/10 10:57:24 AM

Jaws is a classic film!!

I loved the beginning scene with the beach party..On another day Jaws would easy make my Top 3 but when it comes to "Favourite" and "Best" then I guess we are all fickle..I am anyway! :-)

This time it qualifies as one of my "Bubbling under the Top 5"

..The sequels??..Don't go there.

I was unlucky enough to see Jaws 3D in a cinema in Southport that didn't have the facility to show films in 3D. :-)

Re: Your Favourite Movies: The Number 4 Thread by d_n_s_u at 7/14/10 11:07:24 AM

Loved Halloween. This film was granted an "X" certificate when first released in the UK. (Cert 18 took over from "X" cert in November '82)

The music..the shocks..Great!!

Both Halloween and Jaws had their great shock moments.

..Great choices gents..