Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Open Topic > A Puzzle For Wordplay Fans

A Puzzle For Wordplay Fans

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
7/4/10 at
9:40:52 PM

Views: 644

What 5-letter English word retains the same pronunciation when the last four letters are removed?

Hint..it's a word that's used often on the main board here on URC!

Mike

Re: A Puzzle For Wordplay Fans by d_n_s_u at 7/5/10 2:16:14 PM

Queue! :-)

Re: A Puzzle For Wordplay Fans by d_n_s_u at 7/5/10 2:38:19 PM

Anyone know what cheese is made backwards?

Re: A Puzzle For Wordplay Fans by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/5/10 6:52:22 PM

> Anyone know what cheese is made backwards?

Edam!

And, very nice work on my puzzle, Gary.

What gets wetter the more it dries?

Mike (no, that's not the answer!)

Re: A Puzzle For Wordplay Fans by d_n_s_u at 7/6/10 3:31:52 AM

> > Anyone know what cheese is made backwards?

> Edam!

> And, very nice work on my puzzle, Gary.

> What gets wetter the more it dries?

> Mike (no, that's not the answer!)

..A towel! :-)

Re: A Puzzle For Wordplay Fans by MABrider MABrider Profile at 7/7/10 7:50:41 AM

> > Anyone know what cheese is made backwards?

> Edam!

I don't get that one.

Mike B.

Re: A Puzzle For Wordplay Fans by MABrider MABrider Profile at 7/7/10 7:55:44 AM

What word has all five vowels, and in the order we learned them in grammar school?
Oh, and you can add "LY" to the end of it, invoking that extra "sometimes Y" rule as well.

Mike B.

Re: A Puzzle For Wordplay Fans by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/7/10 9:16:41 AM

> > > Anyone know what cheese is made backwards?

> > Edam!

> I don't get that one.

> Mike B.

Edam is a cheese made in Holland. EDAM is also the word "MADE" spelled backwards. Ergo, "EDAM" is "MADE" backwards.

Mike G.

Re: A Puzzle For Wordplay Fans by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/7/10 9:18:07 AM

> What word has all five vowels, and in the order we learned
> them in grammar school?
> Oh, and you can add "LY" to the end of it,
> invoking that extra "sometimes Y" rule as well.

> Mike B.

FACETIOUS(LY)

I have know idea why I knew that. It may not be the only one, though.

Mike G.

Re: A Puzzle For Wordplay Fans by MABrider MABrider Profile at 7/7/10 12:37:00 PM

> Edam is a cheese made in Holland. EDAM is also the word
> "MADE" spelled backwards. Ergo, "EDAM"
> is "MADE" backwards.

> Mike G.

Ah, an overseas cheese.
I work for a maker of VT and NY cheeses, but had never heard of EDAM.
I got the "made" backwards part; one of those cleverly worded quiz questions.

Mike B.

Re: A Puzzle For Wordplay Fans by MABrider MABrider Profile at 7/7/10 12:39:54 PM

> > What word has all five vowels, and in the order we
> learned
> > them in grammar school?
> > Oh, and you can add "LY" to the end of it,
> > invoking that extra "sometimes Y" rule as
> well.

> > Mike B.

> FACETIOUS(LY)

> I have know idea why I knew that. It may not be the only
> one, though.

> Mike G.

You got it.
And maybe you read it here in the past, I've mentioned it from time to time over the years but never remember where or to who or when!
I'm too lazy to search...

I don't think there are others.

Mike B.

Re: A Puzzle For Wordplay Fans by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/7/10 1:03:41 PM

> > > What word has all five vowels, and in the order
> we
> > learned
> > > them in grammar school?
> > > Oh, and you can add "LY" to the end of
> it,
> > > invoking that extra "sometimes Y" rule
> as
> > well.

> > > Mike B.

> > FACETIOUS(LY)

> > I have know idea why I knew that. It may not be the
> only
> > one, though.

> > Mike G.

> You got it.
> And maybe you read it here in the past, I've mentioned it
> from time to time over the years but never remember where
> or to who or when!
> I'm too lazy to search...

> I don't think there are others.

> Mike B.
>
I don't think I knew it from here. But I looked it up just now. ABSTEMIOUS and ARSENIOUS are the others, but I wouldn't even know what they MEAN, much less use them in conversation.

Mike

Re: A Puzzle For Wordplay Fans by MABrider MABrider Profile at 7/8/10 7:51:04 AM

> I don't think I knew it from here. But I looked it up just
> now. ABSTEMIOUS and ARSENIOUS are the others, but I
> wouldn't even know what they MEAN, much less use them in
> conversation.

> Mike

You're not being facetious, are you?

;-)

Mike B.