Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Open Topic > Your Favourite Movies: The Number 5 Thread

Your Favourite Movies: The Number 5 Thread

d_n_s_u

Posted:
7/4/10 at
9:02:21 AM

Views: 669

This is the place to list your Top 5 movies of all time starting here with your No. 5.

Note that this Thread is only for your 5TH favourite.

The No.4 Thread will appear one week from today allowing sufficient time for anyone else who ventures into this cult corner to play along.

Here goes then..It's been a struggle but my No 5 is...

(The original) SHREK

Totally brilliant. :-)

Comedy aimed at kids and adults alike.

Great satire.

A few digs at Disney and many insider jokes (probably loads more that I didn't pick up)

Great script - Great music - just all round greatness...

Shrek 3 was just OK...and Shrek 2???? I've left it to the end for a reason... Dire!

My thoughts only you understand..

Gary

Re: Your Favourite Movies: The Number 5 Thread by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/4/10 8:59:58 PM

Of course, it's easy to come up with the top four. Then you fret and stew and ponder about what film deserves that fifth spot.

I'm gonna give my #5 spot to George Romero's 1978 gore classic, Dawn Of The Dead. It's the sequel to his 1968 Night Of The Living Dead, and far outshines the original and the later sequels. And the less said about the 2004 official remake, the better.

The film combines sick humor, over-the-top gore, action-adventure, and social satire. My best memories are of midnight screenings in the 80's, sitting in the front of the theater with my friends eating (very noisily and messily) buckets of Kentucky Fried Chicken...in perfect sync with the zombies feasting on human entrails on the screen!

Mike

Re: Your Favourite Movies: The Number 5 Thread by maelstrom-xiii maelstrom-xiii Profile at 7/4/10 10:09:21 PM

Rolling in at number 5...Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

This movie was made before my time, but upon my unearthing of it, I absolutely fell in love with it...dry British humor, but a hilarious movie nonetheless. Great acting, zany antics...awesome movie.

Re: Your Favourite Movies: The Number 5 Thread by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/4/10 10:13:37 PM

> Rolling in at number 5...Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

> This movie was made before my time, but upon my unearthing
> of it, I absolutely fell in love with it...dry British
> humor, but a hilarious movie nonetheless. Great acting,
> zany antics...awesome movie.

Killer Rabbits! Flying Cows! Limbless Knights!...gotta love it.

Mike

Re: Your Favourite Movies: The Number 5 Thread by d_n_s_u at 7/5/10 2:29:52 PM

Great choice Mike!

Classic movie - I read somewhere that Dario Argento collaborated on the movie as well..It leaves every other zombie movie in its wake in my opinion.

I first saw it on a pirate vhs back in '79 and it had me hooked!

..I'm off to buy it from Play.com

Re: Your Favourite Movies: The Number 5 Thread by d_n_s_u at 7/5/10 2:36:23 PM

Great choice maelstrom-xiii

Personally this is my second favourite MP movie after Life of Brian!

I saw Holy Grail in a double bill feature with Blazing Saddles in the mid seventies in a suburban Liverpool "Fleapit" (Cinema/ Theatre)

Double Bills were very common back then in the UK - You certainly got your money's worth.

Cue one of the many Holy Grail quotes:

[the King gestures to the window]

King of Swamp Castle: One day, lad, all this will be yours.
Prince Herbert: What, the curtains?

LOL!! :-)

Re: Your Favourite Movies: The Number 5 Thread by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/8/10 8:43:58 PM

> Great choice Mike!

> Classic movie - I read somewhere that Dario Argento
> collaborated on the movie as well..It leaves every other
> zombie movie in its wake in my opinion.

> I first saw it on a pirate vhs back in '79 and it had me
> hooked!

BTW, I have a VHS copy autographed by Tom Savini. You probably know he did the gore/splatter effects, and also played the leader of the biker gang who provides a major snack for the undead.

Mike