Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Open Topic > Game Show Hosts and Drew Carey

Game Show Hosts and Drew Carey

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
3/9/10 at
8:45:04 PM

Views: 795

I watch a lot of Game Show Network. I've come to the conclusion that Richard Karn may have been the worst host in the history of the genre. As far as the various hosts of the various versions of Family Feud go, I'd rank thusly:

1. Richard Dawson
2. Ray Combs
3. John O' Hurley
4. Al Roker
5. Louie Anderson
6. Karn

My mother was a HUGE fan of Bob Barker. It was always her dream to meet him. I never enjoyed watching him much. But then I got a load of Drew Carey and gained a bit of appreciation for Barker.

Carey's lucky to have a career. The first time I ever saw him was on a sitcom, I guess it was in the early 90's, called The Good Life starring John Caponera. Carey was OK, but a secondary..or thirddary..character. Then He gets his own show, and he's the weakest thing about it. It was named after him, but Ryan Stiles, Christa Miller, and Diedrich Bader made the show. Kathy Kinney's Mimi was awful, too.

Then Carey gets the gig as "host" of "Whose Line Is It Anyway?"
Again, he's incidental. Stiles, Mochrie, Brady, Proops, Sherwood, and just about everyone appearing on the show not named Carey was terrifically talented. Then Carey makes it worse by appearing in the show's finale with the others and showing how outclassed he was.

Any opinions?

Mike

Re: Game Show Hosts and Drew Carey by maelstrom-xiii maelstrom-xiii Profile at 6/14/10 10:28:11 AM

I concur. "Whose Line..." really gave me an appreciation for improvisational comedy, and Ryan Stiles and Colin Mochrie were the cream of the crop on that show..Greg Proost (sp?) was great too, although after seeing him in "True Jackson VP" (my son watches a LOT of nickelodeon) I have lost a little respect for him...

But yes, Drew Carey is a hack when in the spotlight...much better served as a tertiary (not "thirdary", ;)) character. Haven't seen him on "Price is Right" because I'm not old enough to watch it (I'm in my 20s).

Sorry if that makes you feel old.

Re: Game Show Hosts and Drew Carey by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 6/14/10 11:21:09 AM

> Greg Proost (sp?)

Proops!

> But yes, Drew Carey is a hack when in the spotlight...much
> better served as a tertiary (not "thirdary", ;))

Couldn't think of that word, so I made one up...

> Haven't seen him on "Price is Right"
> because I'm not old enough to watch it (I'm in my 20s).

I didn't know there was an age restriction!!!

> Sorry if that makes you feel old.

Doesn't take much..I AM old! (45)

This is the most activity this forum has seen in many months!

Mike

Re: Game Show Hosts and Drew Carey by maelstrom-xiii maelstrom-xiii Profile at 6/14/10 2:14:32 PM

> Proops!

Pardon my ignorance. Never actually seen his name written out, I don't think...

> I didn't know there was an age restriction!!!

Well, stereotypically speaking, it's mostly older folks (many of which are ladyfolk) who watch it...although that may have changed with "hip" Drew Carey as the host...

> This is the most activity this forum has seen in many
> months!

I do my best.

Re: Game Show Hosts and Drew Carey by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 6/15/10 7:18:28 AM

> Well, stereotypically speaking, it's mostly older folks
> (many of which are ladyfolk) who watch it

That is true to a large extent..but if you ever do watch the show, you'll see that a large pecrentage of the contestants..I'd venture more than half..are young, attractive, college age guys and girls...and that was the case in Barker's later years too.

Mike
>