Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Open Topic > Desiderata

Desiderata

d_n_s_u

Posted:
2/27/10 at
2:11:31 PM

Views: 730

I have always loved the words to this "prose poem" penned by Max Ehrmann.

Desiderata means "desired things" and was made into a hit here in the UK by a US radio personality Les Crane in 1971.

Sadly he died 2 years back.

It reached number 7 in the UK Top 40 in 1972.

Les Crane went on to marry "Ginger" from Gilligan's Island (I was a Mary Ann type of guy (young kid) back then: only those of you of a certain age will probably know what I mean when I refer to Ginger / Mary Ann preferences)

There are several YouTube vids of Desiderata but the one I have chosen below is because it shows images of The Lake District, Cumbria just an hour from my home...A place I love walking when I need a break from coasters and parks....and that happens! :-)

If you find yourself reading this post that has been posted on (a quiet but nevertheless great little corner of) The Ultimate Roller Coaster Forums then maybe you may wish to take time out and copy and paste and listen and..well..take it all in...

My thoughts only.

Gary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxrsNCLr_xk

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Desiderata by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 2/27/10 10:44:13 PM

You're not alone in being a "Mary Ann guy," Gary. I always MUCH preferred her simple charms to Ginger's "glamor and sophistication." I met Dawn Wells at a convention many years ago and she was really sweet.

But here's a choice for you..which Catwoman? (TV only)

I go with Julie Newmar, followed by Lee Meriwether. I HATED Eartha Kitt! Yvonne Craig, who played Batgirl, was the tops, though, for this Batmaniac.

Thought you had this little corner all to yourself, dintcha?

Mike

Re: Desiderata by d_n_s_u at 2/28/10 4:00:41 AM

Julie Newmar all the way for me too. She must be in her late seventies now. I don't remember her being in many episodes though.

HOLY CHILDHOOD CRUSH BEASTMASTER :-)

Re: Desiderata by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 2/28/10 6:15:13 AM

I always forget that Lee Meriwether never played Catwoman on the TV series, only in the 1966 big-screen version.

Julie Newmar played Catwoman in 13 episodes of the series. Eartha Kitt was in 5.

Julie is 76 years old!

Thank you, IMDB for this information.

Mike