Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Open Topic > Skiing Advice

Skiing Advice

mapew9319 mapew9319 Profile

Posted:
1/24/08 at
8:55:39 PM

Views: 1439

I'm pretty sure most ski resorts have your basic Green circle for beginner, Blue square for intermediate, Black Diamond for hard, Double black diamond for extremely hard. I've only been skiing for 2 years, I picked up pretty fast Cause I play hockey, I can do the blue square pretty good now. But I'm unsure about black diamonds, so does anybody know how much of a jump there is between a black diamond and a blue square? And it will be an even bigger help if you've ever been to Kissing Bridge, the link is there website.

http://www.kbski.com

Re: Skiing Advice by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 2/11/08 3:21:32 AM

Kissing Bridge isn't much of a ski area compared to what I'm used to skiing. I regularly ski in Colorado.

As for the degree of difficulty of a ski slope that depends on the individual resort. You cannot compare across resorts. A green run at one resort may not be a green run at another.

My guess is that a black diamond at Kissing Bridge is only going to be a little steeper than a blue run. There may actually be parts of the black run that are equal to or not as steep as a blue run, but at some point or points of the run it is going to be steeper.

If you're really comfortable with the blue runs and can ski in control then I'd think it is time to try a black run. You can always ask an employee at the ski area which is the easiest black run. Of course, I think the challenge of the east coast ski areas is the conditions. A blue run would ski like an expert run if it is all ice.

Eric

Re: Skiing Advice by mapew9319 mapew9319 Profile at 2/20/08 11:17:35 AM

Thanks, I took your advice and did a black run. I asked an employee what the easiest black run was. He told me to go to a hill called Eagle. It really wasn't much steeper then a blue run, but it had like these bumps on it (not sure what they're called) Those made it a bit difficult to turn. But it was very fun and challenging. Thanks again :D

~Matt

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Skiing Advice by mapew9319 mapew9319 Profile at 3/1/08 1:49:55 PM

I just found out that the "bumps" that I was refering to, are called Mugols.

Re: Skiing Advice by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 3/26/08 1:23:29 PM

> Thanks, I took your advice and did a black run. I asked an
> employee what the easiest black run was. He told me to go
> to a hill called Eagle. It really wasn't much steeper then
> a blue run, but it had like these bumps on it (not sure
> what they're called)

Bumps are called moguls or simply bumps.

Most black runs are not usually that much steeper. What usually happens is that they are steeper for a portion of the run. On occasion you'll find a real killer steep run.

Don't forget that ratings are based on that mountain alone. You'll find a black run at Sun Valley is probably not the same as a black run at your local mountain.

I just finished skiing one-million vertical feet this season in 36 days. Actually, it was 35 if I think about it. In any case it was a great season.

Eric

Re: Skiing Advice by mapew9319 mapew9319 Profile at 3/29/08 9:24:53 PM

I just finished up my skiing season today. It's been great! I went over to Holiday Valley a few times this year, and everytime the conditions have been amazing. Plus Holiday Valley has a 750 vertical ft. drop! (Which really isn't much to you if you ski in Colorado, but it is to me. Kissing Bridge claims to have a 600 ft. vertical drop but Holiday Valley is at least 3 times longer.)
Next year I'm thinking about going to Whiteface (Lake Placid) or Bristol Mountain.

Re: Skiing Advice by mapew9319 mapew9319 Profile at 10/4/08 12:43:07 PM

It's time for me to start saving for a few ski trips and buy equipment. I can't wait, too bad here in Buffalo we won't have another freak October Storm where the temperatures suddenly drop 40 degrees and the 70+ degree Lake Erie drops tons of snow on us. No skiing in October today... but my fingers will still be crossed. lol

Re: Skiing Advice by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 10/18/08 3:50:45 AM

Unless you're planning to ski a lot I would recommend renting equipment other than boots. Boots are a necessary purchase.

Skis on the other hand are costly and get dated quickly. If you only ski week or two a year then renting demo skis is a better investment.

Re: Skiing Advice by mapew9319 mapew9319 Profile at 10/20/08 6:10:24 PM

I have a seasonal rental, it's abot 120 dollars for unlimited renting. However I won't be skiing 1 or 2 times a year. I'll be skiing every Tuesday from the first snowfall, to the last. Plus a few trips to the much bigger and better [and more expensive :'(] Holiday Valley.

When I say "equipment", I mean poles, a helmet, goggles, etc. I won't be buying ski's.

I made the mistake last year of renting poles and a helmet, and it ended up being more expensive than it would've been buy them.

Re: Skiing Advice by mapew9319 mapew9319 Profile at 10/21/08 10:13:05 PM

WHOA Deja Vu!

IT'S SNOWING!!! AND THERE'S NO END IN SIGHT! :o

I'll be on the slopes tommorrow ;)