Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Open Topic > Who've You Seen Most?..and What Regrets Do You Have?

Who've You Seen Most?..and What Regrets Do You Have?

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
11/7/07 at
8:29:23 PM

Views: 1197

Pat-O's mention of KISS on the regular board got me thinking about all the concerts I've seen, and the artists I've seen most often. Also, thinking of artists I didn't see, aside from groups that pre-dated my prime concert-going years...Creedence, Doors, Kinks, Beatles, MC5, New York Dolls, I could go on..

Who have you seen the most, and who do you regret not seeing?

I saw the Ramones at LEAST 25 times from 1982-1995...lost track!
"Weird Al" Yankovic..9 times
Warren Zevon..6 times
Springsteen..5 officially, once un-officially(guest appearance with Joe Grushecky at the Stone Pony.)
Robert Gordon..5 times
Joe Jackson..4 times(my first "real" concert..1980)
Blondie..4 times..but not in their heyday...only after they re-united in the late 90's.
Various incarnations of the Monkees..4 times..including once at SFGAdv.
Go-Go's..3 times.

Some big names I saw in later years...The Who(no Moon or Entwhistle,) Robert Plant, John Fogerty, Sex Pistols.

I regret never having seen KISS, Alice Cooper, Blotto, David Bowie, Devo, Motorhead, Tom Petty, the Plasmatics, Prince, Tubes.

What about you, ladies and gents?

Mike

You brought back many memories! by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 12/29/07 3:42:52 PM

I did the 'concert thing' when I was a high-schooler; haven't had many under my belt since then. Just grew out of that stage I guess.

But I've seen Bob Seger, Manfred Man's Earth Band (that is aging me! And boy was he wasted and did he fudge the words to HIS songs), the milder guys such as Barry Manilow & Neil Diamond, Def Leppard (sp?), Good Charlotte, Bowling for Soup, Destiny's Child, Alice Cooper, 38 Special ----

WAIT!

--- I guess I went to more concerts than my mind remembered!

There was a huuuuge multi-band concert held in Louisville many moons ago called the Louisville Jam and I can't remember all the kick-butt headliners but I do remember Thin Lizzy as one of them.

I'm positive there were more concerts I attended now that I think about it. Here's one I just recalled: Back Street Boys!

But I think the most impressive music-related ditty is that my sister was the President of the Beatles Fan Club and George Harrison's sister stayed at our house!!!!!!!

My sis has pix of her and my Mom sitting on the bed with Paul at the Beatles' hotel room in Chicago. My sis has lots and lots of memorabilia and priceless things from her heyday with the Beatles. She was close friends with their manager, and oh yeah! She had some personal connnection to Robert Plant as well (mind escapes the exact connection...prolly through the Beatle era).

So yeah, I guess that's pretty unique and special!

~MommaBeast

Re: You brought back many memories! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/29/07 8:27:25 PM

> Def Leppard (sp?),

Spelling's right! Ozzy Osbourne is one of only three concert sets I've walked out on. In 1981, I bought tickets to see him in Asbury Park. I was a fan of Motorhead, the announced opening act, but had no real interest in Ozzy, who had just started his solo career. So of course, Motorhead was dropped and Def Leppard took over the slot..before they hit big a few years later. They were pretty good. My buddy and I left after Oz did Iron Man, third song in..WALKED back to Belmar on a boardwalk, about five miles. Got back to the rental house FIVE MINUTES after my brother headed to Asbury to pick us up..in the days before cell phones, of course. I don't think John ever forgave me for that or for scratching up his American Pie and Greetings From Asbury Park(Springsteen's debut) LP's when I was a know-nothing 9 year old.

>but I do remember
> Thin Lizzy as one of them.

2nd BEST IRISH ROCK BAND EVER! NEVER MIND U2!(although there was a time I liked them, around WAR and JOSHUA TREE.) Best ever Irish rockers? Boomtown Rats!

> I'm positive there were more concerts I attended now that I
> think about it. Here's one I just recalled: Back Street
> Boys!

EEEEEWWWWWW!

> But I think the most impressive music-related ditty
> is that my sister was the President of the Beatles Fan Club
> and George Harrison's sister stayed at our house!!!!!!!

> My sis has pix of her and my Mom sitting on the bed with
> Paul at the Beatles' hotel room in Chicago. My sis has lots
> and lots of memorabilia and priceless things from her
> heyday with the Beatles. She was close friends with their
> manager, and oh yeah! She had some personal connnection to
> Robert Plant as well (mind escapes the exact
> connection...prolly through the Beatle era).

> So yeah, I guess that's pretty unique and special!

> ~MommaBeast

Thanks for rekindling some memories for this 43 year old, too. And thanks too, for replying..as you can see, you were a lone voice in the wilderness!

The Beatles stuff is very cool. I'm a fan of early Beatles, and of course, was born the year they hit these shores. The theater I work at last month presented "RAIN: THE BEATLES EXPERIENCE"..it was terrific,not just a cover band or a bunch of lookalikes, but a full scale multi-media experience with video, old commercials, costume changes, the whole works. If you ever get a chance to see it....

Can I have permission to send this link to a friend who's a Beatles fanatic? I'm sure she'd love reading the McCartney/Harrison anecdotes. I'm convinced she married her husband because of his resemblance at that time to Mr. Lennon. I won't send it without your permission.

Thanks again for some great reading..I'm lucky I get to 2-3 rock/pop shows a year...working where I do, I see a fair number of performances, but we don't have a lot of that. In that theater I HAVE seen Meatloaf, Brian Setzer, Chris Isaak, Mountain(on a package called HIPPIEFEST!) and Southside Johnny.

I gotta get off here now..time to see if the Giants can take care of Tom SHADY and Randy LOSS!..LATE FLASH!! 7-0 NEW JERSEY AS I GET READY TO POST THIS!..Good Start!

Have a good one!

Mike

Beatles, Concerts, and the *choke* Pats by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 12/30/07 3:38:33 AM

You most certainly have my permission to share this thread.
:>)

I haven't seen a concert in a coon's age, though when we have them here in Indy I often say, "Let's do that one" and then never get around to following through.

> I'm positive there were more concerts I attended now that I
> think about it. Here's one I just recalled: Back Street
> Boys!

> EEEEEWWWWWW!

LOL!
I also am a fan of Carmen, the Christian rock artist, as well as a few others.

> Thanks for rekindling some memories for this 43 year old,
> too. And thanks too, for replying..as you can see, you were
> a lone voice in the wilderness!

I always forget to check the "Off Topic" forum!!

> The Beatles stuff is very cool. I'm a fan of early Beatles,
> and of course, was born the year they hit these shores. The
> theater I work at last month presented "RAIN: THE
> BEATLES EXPERIENCE"..it was terrific,not just a cover
> band or a bunch of lookalikes, but a full scale multi-media
> experience with video, old commercials, costume changes,
> the whole works. If you ever get a chance to see it....

Yeah, early Beatles for me, too. A funny story: when my Ma and my sis were in Chi town visiting the Beatles, my sis was all agog over being in the same room with Paul. She exclaimed to my Ma, "Mom! Come in and meet Paul!" to which my Mom replied (much to the chagrin of my sis) "Paul? I wanna meet RINGO!!"

I'll have to ask my sis if she is aware of the "Rain" documentary you mentioned above. She has stored so much Beatles stuff over the years that I think she recently started to get rid of/donate many items.

> I gotta get off here now..time to see if the Giants can
> take care of Tom SHADY and Randy LOSS!..LATE FLASH!! 7-0
> NEW JERSEY AS I GET READY TO POST THIS!..Good Start!

OH HOW I WANTED ELI TO CLEAN TOM SHADY'S CLOCK! I was very, very disappointed that the Giants just plain fell apart after the half. The only satisfaction I get out of this is that Bill Belicheat, Tom Shady, and the Cheatriots will go down in history with an ASTERISK accompanying this season, whether it be a real asterisk or a mental one that everyone KNOWS is there/belongs there.

~MommaBeast, who's mood is mad/angry because the Pats won...they aren't that good for Pete's sake! They've had a CUSH itinerary!! Oh well...mood is better now but I'm glad I didn't pen this right after the game, lol.

> Have a good one!

Re: Beatles, Concerts, and the *choke* Pats by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/30/07 10:35:02 AM

>!
> I also am a fan of Carmen, the Christian rock artist, as
> well as a few others.

Never heard of her(him?)..and I'm Catholic!

>

> Yeah, early Beatles for me, too. A funny story: when my Ma
> and my sis were in Chi town visiting the Beatles, my sis
> was all agog over being in the same room with Paul. She
> exclaimed to my Ma, "Mom! Come in and meet Paul!"
> to which my Mom replied (much to the chagrin of my sis)
> "Paul? I wanna meet RINGO!!"

I saw Paul and Ringo the other night on Larry King...I was surprised how good Ringo looked..with the facial hair and shades, you couldn't see the lines..unlike Paul!

> I'll have to ask my sis if she is aware of the
> "Rain" documentary you mentioned above. She has
> stored so much Beatles stuff over the years that I think
> she recently started to get rid of/donate many items.

I want to clarify.."RAIN" is not a documentary or film..it's a fully staged live rock concert with four very adept musicians playing Beatles tunes very well. If you stretch, they may look a bit like the Fab Four...more so when the costume changes(Sgt. Pepper, etc.) come into play, along with fake beards and moustaches. Video footage is used to put real-life historical events in perspective, and the show opens with a recreation of the Ed Sullivan appearance..it's the full concert experience, and the audience I saw it with...kids, geezers, teens, as well as people around our age...enjoyed the hell out of it.

> OH HOW I WANTED ELI TO CLEAN TOM SHADY'S CLOCK! I was
> very, very disappointed that the Giants just plain fell
> apart after the half. The only satisfaction I get out of
> this is that Bill Belicheat, Tom Shady, and the Cheatriots
> will go down in history with an ASTERISK accompanying this
> season, whether it be a real asterisk or a mental one that
> everyone KNOWS is there/belongs there.

Emphasis on the first syllable...ASS-terisk!

> ~MommaBeast, who's mood is mad/angry because the Pats
> won...they aren't that good for Pete's sake! They've had a
> CUSH itinerary!! Oh well...mood is better now but I'm glad
> I didn't pen this right after the game, lol.

We'll see how good they are over the next few weeks, playing nothing but playoff teams.

> Have a good one!

Mike

Re: Beatles, Concerts, and the *choke* Pats by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 12/30/07 5:47:17 PM

>
> I want to clarify.."RAIN" is not a documentary or
> film..it's a fully staged live rock concert with four very
> adept musicians playing Beatles tunes very well.

Thanks for the clarification. NOW it sounds familiar to me...

Bet my sis has heard of RAIN. Speaking of 'look/sound-alikes' I think the current band JET sounds amazingly like the early Beatles.

~MommaBeast

Re: Beatles, Concerts, and the *choke* Pats by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/30/07 8:06:32 PM

>> Bet my sis has heard of RAIN. Speaking of
> 'look/sound-alikes' I think the current band JET sounds
> amazingly like the early Beatles.

> ~MommaBeast

>
I've heard only one or two JET tracks, and I'd agree with you. I think I read somewhere the band was named for the McCartney/Wings song of the same name.

Nothing to to with this, but a neat piece of trivia...my favorite group, the Ramones, took THEIR name from an alias McCartney used when signing into hotels.."Paul Ramone."

Mike

Re: Beatles, Concerts, and the *choke* Pats by Ethan Ethan Profile at 12/30/07 9:03:27 PM

> Bet my sis has heard of RAIN. Speaking of
> 'look/sound-alikes' I think the current band JET sounds
> amazingly like the early Beatles.

Holy Crap!!!

I LOVE JET!!! They are one of the best if not the best new bands out there. I'd take there first two albums over most other band's entire collection. They have a great mix of slower smooth songs, loud fast and rough songs, and acoustic songs. Also, I think a great example of comparison between them and the Beatles are vocal solos. Listen to "Bring it on Back" from Shine On. Then listen to "A Day in the Life" from Sgt. Pepper's. The solos sound quite similar.

JET is a top frequented band on my iPod and I can't wait for an new album. Never seen them live, I'd like to though.

-Ethan-

Re: Beatles, Concerts, and the *choke* Pats by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 1/1/08 8:39:50 PM

>> great mix of
> slower smooth songs, loud fast and rough songs,
>
It almost sounds like yer talking about a park's coaster collection..just substitute "rides" for "songs"!!!

Mike

Re: You brought back many memories! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 1/17/08 10:12:36 PM

>> There was a huuuuge multi-band concert held in Louisville
> many moons ago called the Louisville Jam and I can't
> remember all the kick-butt headliners but I do remember
> Thin Lizzy as one of them.

> Hey, MommaBeast!..I'm driving home from work tonight, and my rock station played "The Boys Are Back In Town" by Lizzy. And I'm racking my brain while watching the road, trying to remember who had mentioned the band recently. Then I remembered it was you!..on this thread!

I also realized something..as much as I love the song, in my opinion it's the SECOND best song by that title. I have an LP(yep, I still have my vinyl..most of it anyway)..by a group called the Bus Boys. THEIR "Boys Are Back In Town" kicks some serious butt! You've probably heard it..the band and song were featured in the flick "48 HRS.".. a favorite of mine from 1982. The whole album's pretty great, actually...it includes a "sequel" to "Johnny B. Goode" called "Johnny Soul'd Out"

Mike

Boys are Back Indeed! by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 1/18/08 1:13:50 AM

> Hey, MommaBeast!..I'm driving home from work tonight, and
> my rock station played "The Boys Are Back In
> Town" by Lizzy. And I'm racking my brain while
> watching the road, trying to remember who had mentioned the
> band recently. Then I remembered it was you!..on this
> thread!

What a co-inky-dink!
;>)

> I also realized something..as much as I love the song, in
> my opinion it's the SECOND best song by that title. I have
> an LP(yep, I still have my vinyl..most of it anyway)..by a
> group called the Bus Boys. THEIR "Boys Are Back In
> Town" kicks some serious butt! You've probably heard
> it..the band and song were featured in the flick "48
> HRS.".. a favorite of mine from 1982. The whole
> album's pretty great, actually...it includes a
> "sequel" to "Johnny B. Goode" called
> "Johnny Soul'd Out"

I'm not sure I've heard that...maybe I have (because I've seen 48 hours lots and lots) and it just hasn't registered in me brain. And it doesn't help that it's 1:15 am (just got home from work).

Pooped!

~MommaBeast

Re: You brought back many memories! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 1/31/08 10:24:24 PM

> > My sis has pix of her and my Mom sitting on the bed with
> Paul at the Beatles' hotel room in Chicago. My sis has lots
> and lots of memorabilia and priceless things from her
> heyday with the Beatles. She was close friends with their
> manager, and oh yeah! She had some personal connnection to
> Robert Plant as well (mind escapes the exact
> connection...prolly through the Beatle era).

> So yeah, I guess that's pretty unique and special!

> ~MommaBeast

I had to share this with you, MommaBeast..today's NY Daily News published their monthly calendar of entertainment releases, openings, and events for February. There's a play opening in NYC next week called "MOM, HOW DID YOU MEET THE BEATLES?"

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/104769.html

Mike

Ma and Paul (the Bee-At-uls, that is, lol)... by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 2/1/08 1:38:11 AM

> I had to share this with you, MommaBeast..today's NY Daily
> News published their monthly calendar of entertainment
> releases, openings, and events for February. There's a play
> opening in NYC next week called "MOM, HOW DID YOU MEET
> THE BEATLES?"

> http://www.playbill.com/news/article/104769.html Mike

Get the heck outta here!
Isn't that ironic?!?!?

Cool...thanks for sharing!

~MommaBeast

Re: Ma and Paul (the Bee-At-uls, that is, lol)... by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 2/5/08 10:33:41 PM

Here's something else you might show your sister and your mom..a Beatles Hotel!

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02052008/entertainment/travel/oh__mersey__217267.htm

Mike

Re: Ma and Paul (the Bee-At-uls, that is, lol)... by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 2/6/08 1:27:43 AM

> Here's something else you might show your sister and your
> mom..a Beatles Hotel!

>
> http://www.nypost.com/seven/02052008/entertainment/travel/oh__mersey__217267.htm
> Mike

Cool! Thanks!

~MommaBeast