Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Open Topic > Crocadile Hunter Dies!

Crocadile Hunter Dies!

imagineer imagineer Profile

Posted:
9/4/06 at
8:09:12 PM

Views: 1236

Iconic Steve Irwin dies in action

SYDNEY: SYDNEY: Steve Irwin, the ebullient Australian TV personality and conservationist known as the Crocodile Hunter, was killed by a stingray barb to the heart during a diving expedition, police and his wildlife park said.

Irwin, 44, was filming an underwater sequence for a television series on remote Batt Reef off the far northeast coast of Australia when he encountered the ray and was stung about 11 a.m. (0630 IST), Australia Zoo, Irwin's park, said in a statement.

Crew members aboard Irwin's boat, Croc One, called emergency services in the nearest city, Cairns, and administered cardio pulmonary resuscitation techniques as they rushed the boat to nearby Low Isle to meet a rescue helicopter.

Medical staff pronounced Irwin dead at about midday, the statement said.

"The world has lost a great wildlife icon, a passionate conservationist and one of the proudest dads on the planet," John Stainton, Irwin's friend and producer who was on board Croc One said in the statement.

"He died doing what he loves best and left this world in a happy and peaceful state of mind" he said. "Crocs Rule!"

Queensland state police said Irwin's family-- which includes US-born wife Terri-- had been notified of his death.

Irwin is famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry "Crikey!" in his television programme, Crocodile Hunter, which was first broadcast in Australia in 1992 before it was picked up by the Discovery channel, catapulting him to international celebrity.

AP

It doesn't come as a surprise to me, but I thought it would be a crocodile, or at least a snake, but a stingray? Talk about a freak accident.

It's a shame because I liked watching his show from time to time, and his kids were pretty young.

Zac

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Crocadile Hunter Dies! by Ethan Ethan Profile at 9/7/06 2:29:57 PM

Yeah, it's sad. I never watched his show, but he had kids, and that makes it sad.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Crocadile Hunter Dies! by cal at 9/19/06 7:30:23 AM

> Yeah, it's sad. I never watched his show, but he had kids,
> and that makes it sad.
> * This Post Has Been Modified *

It's sad to lose such a larger than life character - also one who cared about conservation and the environment. And of course it is a tragedy for his wife and kids. Hopefully they will continue his work with Australia Zoo and the other things he was doing.

What's awful though is that some people have been slaughtering stingrays in revenge. I know Steve would not have wanted that. His family must be horrified.