Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Open Topic > Need history of the "six flags"

Need history of the "six flags"

Angela

Posted:
4/5/05 at
5:57:20 PM

Views: 1372

My daughter needs information for school, she needs to obtain
the history of each flag and not sure where to get this info

Re: Need history of the "six flags" by cowboyfan at 4/8/05 3:55:30 PM

> My daughter needs information for school, she needs to
> obtain
> the history of each flag and not sure where to get this
> info

i think the flags represent each state that has a six flags in it..i dont know if all six even have parks in them

Re: Need history of the "six flags" by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 4/20/05 12:40:55 PM

Take it from a native Texan:

Six Flags received its name form the 6 nations that at one time flew their flag over Texas soil - Spain, France, Mexico, Texas, The Confederacy, and USA.

In the early 1500s, Spainish explorers began combing through the Southwestern USA searching for riches and the cities of gold. The areas now known as Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, California, Utah, Wyoming, and Nevada were all a part of the Spanish empire until Mexico won its indendence in 1821.

France had claims in Texas during the 1600s as a result of LaSalle's expeditions. France's colonies in Texas were small and weak, and had little lasting impact on the region.

After Mexico gained its independence from Spain, Texas remained a part of the new Mexican republic fro 25 years.

In 1836, Texas won its indepenced from Mexico at the battle of San Jacinto. For 9 years, Texas existed as its own republic, and the Lone Star flag represented the 4th sovereign nation to claim Texas territory.

Texas joined the Confederacy during the Civil War, and the Confederate flag flew over its land.

Finally, from 1865 to the present, Texas has existed as a state within the United States of America.

These 6 flags are commonly seen all over the Great Lone Star State as symbols of Texas' diverse and storied past. The original Six Flags park was divided into 6 themed areas, with each one representing a nation that had ruled Texas

- Pat-O

Re: Need history of the "six flags" by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 4/28/05 3:30:08 PM

Exactly correct Lonestar. The first Six Flags park was Six Flags over Texas in Arlington (Dallas for those that don't know where Arlington is) The six flags that flew over Texas at various times in history were then used as a basis for theming all of the different "lands" inside of the park. So not only did it give it's name, but also the overall theme of the park.

Very similar plans were made for Six Flags over Georgia and Six Flags over Mid America (now SFStL). But those were the only three Six Flags parks built with that in mind. All of the rest were bought and added to the chain at a later time and outside of being the name of the company the Six Flags really doesn't have any meaning to the rest of the parks.