Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Open Topic > Favorite Road Trip Albums?

Favorite Road Trip Albums?

LONNOL

Posted:
1/25/03 at
9:53:23 PM

Views: 1119

Like many coaster enthusiasts I spend a lot of time driving to parks or the lovely combination of flying and driving. As such, we each have those albums that we like for the winding ribbon of highway. These albums may be not our all-time favorites, but these are the ones you like to put in the cd player for the long trip. Mine are below, what are yours?

1) Sinatra- In the Wee Small Hours: His best album, a good argument can be made. If I need to mellow out after a long day at the park Frank kicks it slow.

2) Danny Tenaglia- Global Underground, London: A great double cd full of tribal house with a slow build to some great peaks.

3) Stereolab- I have several of thier albums, but this is just a mixed cd I made a while ago and I can't seem to get enough of it.

4) Beach Boys- Smile: A cd I made of this creative (and tripped out) unreleased album. An album that lets me zone out like no other.

5) David Gray- White Ladder: Another (instant) classic with great songs and musicianship. This is great for driving into the proverbial sunset.

6) Bruce Springsteen- Born to Run: This just makes me feel happy to be happy to be out and about- especially in the Northeast. If Bruce can make the highways of Jersey romantic you know he's good.

7) Neil Young- After the Gold Rush: A great album to unwind to.

8) Van Morrison- Moondance: Pop rock, rock pop, whatever it is, Van knew his shizzle. From ladies to liquor to love Morrison certainly knows how to break life down into basic elements.

9) Rolling Stones- Exile on Main Street: Not only is it long to eat up drive time, it is good blues and rock sung by British guys.

10) U2- The Joshua Tree: Few albums make you feel happy to be up earlier than you normally would for work while driving to a park.

11) White Trash Rock: This fine mixed cd full of Whitesnake, Poison, Quiot Riot and other luminaries of the 1980's makes me ready to kick some ass, drink some Jack and pass that family van with my sweet four cylinders of power that carries the Saturn on the highway.

12) BT- Movement in Still Life: This fusion of dance, trance, rock and rap is sure to get you going and make the miles seem like they're flying by.

Adam

User Submitted Picture

APH

Re: Favorite Road Trip Albums? by junebugg junebugg Profile at 1/27/03 11:42:11 PM

> 2) Danny Tenaglia- Global Underground, London: A great
> double cd full of tribal house with a slow build to some
> great peaks.

So your a fan of *Miss* Tenaglia, huh! I use to see her spin at her resident night at the Tunnel Nightclub in NYC! She is one awesome DJ!!!!

- junebugg

Re: Favorite Road Trip Albums? by THE_BEASTmaster at 1/28/03 12:58:57 PM

> Like many coaster enthusiasts I spend a lot of time driving
> to parks or the lovely combination of flying and driving.
> As such, we each have those albums that we like for the
> winding ribbon of highway. These albums may be not our
> all-time favorites, but these are the ones you like to put
> in the cd player for the long trip.

Mine are:
1. The Monkees Anthologies
2. Simon & Garfunkal: Greatest Hits

Or anything from the 1960's.

Bill Yost

Re: Favorite Road Trip Albums? by freakylick at 1/29/03 1:02:58 PM

I like to listen to:
Third Eye Blind (their first album...the rest just suck)
Journey Greatest Hits
Dixie Chicks Fly
And whatever the latest CD purchases were.

Re: Favorite Road Trip Albums? by coasters4life at 2/3/03 2:53:14 PM

> 5) David Gray- White Ladder: Another (instant) classic with
> great songs and musicianship. This is great for driving
> into the proverbial sunset.

Adam - This is a great album along with the others you mentioned. I never heard of David Gray before I picked up his White Ladder album. I've become a huge fan of his sound blending digital beats into his play of the accoustic guitar. Sadly, it's hard to find any *real* singer/song writters of his calibur with the flooded sounds of aweful pop music today. His music to me is really great for driving. If you haven't already, you might want to consider his newest cd "A New Day at Midnight". Overall the sound of the whole album has a dark feel with a lot of meaning though lyrically. It's a huge contrast from White Ladder because it totally changes direction since it's not as upbeat.

Take Care - Mitch F.

Re: Favorite Road Trip Albums? by LONNOL at 2/4/03 1:41:53 PM

"So your a fan of *Miss* Tenaglia, huh! I use to see her spin at her resident night at the Tunnel Nightclub in NYC! She is one awesome DJ!!!! "

I liked the two Global Undergrounds with the tribal house accents. However, some of the stuff, like the recent Back to Basics, I did not enjoy at all.

"Adam - This is a great album along with the others you mentioned. I never heard of David Gray before I picked up his White Ladder album. I've become a huge fan of his sound blending digital beats into his play of the accoustic guitar. Sadly, it's hard to find any *real* singer/song writters of his calibur with the flooded sounds of aweful pop music today. His music to me is really great for driving. If you haven't already, you might want to consider his newest cd "A New Day at Midnight". Overall the sound of the whole album has a dark feel with a lot of meaning though lyrically. It's a huge contrast from White Ladder because it totally changes direction since it's not as upbeat."

I definitley agree with your statements about pop music. For the most part the bulk of my music isn't played on the radio anywhere. I did get his new cd and while it had a different tone I still enjoyed it a lot. The accoustic/digital combination was pretty daring and I actually like it better than his all accoustic stuff, such as Flesh.

Adam

APH

Re: Favorite Road Trip Albums? by junebugg junebugg Profile at 2/4/03 11:47:04 PM

> I liked the two Global Undergrounds with the tribal house
> accents. However, some of the stuff, like the recent Back
> to Basics, I did not enjoy at all.

Tenaglia's CD's are great but to get the real Tenaglia *Effect*, you must hear this great wizard on the decks spin at a nightclub. The CD's can't even compare to it. It's an uplifting experience.

- junebugg

Re: Favorite Road Trip Albums? by Spyder Spyder Profile at 3/25/03 4:54:04 PM

David Gray is my grandfather, no joke.
=DAN

Re: Favorite Road Trip Albums? by Monolithic at 4/23/07 5:56:06 PM

I don't know why I'm bringing back these old topics, but anyway:

Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf
Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley
Kyuss - Blues for the Red Sun
Knife of Simpson - Knife of Simpson
The Melvins and Big Business - A Senile Animal
Mastodon - Remission