Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Hypercoasters

Hypercoasters

Graeme Graeme Profile

Posted:
4/12/00 at
7:39:32 AM

Views: 370

Where in the UK/Europe would/could they install another hyper? The trouble is, anything tall/long/fast is usually built to break a record and let's face it, the Big One is tall enough. If Europe does install something to rival Millennium Force, I'm certainly not riding it! We need something that is designed more like Magnum XL200 - big, steep drops, with a straight first drop.

Graeme.

Re: Hypercoasters by Miles at 4/12/00 7:53:46 AM

Good question Graeme, I mean how high can these things go, before long we'll be looking at 500 ft + which is bloody madness. I was so bitterly disappointed with the Big One, great 1st drop especially after the re-profile but after that, it's just pants. I'm suprised Geoffrey Thompson didn't sue Arrow to be honest. Still is looks good.

I suppose they could install a Hyper at American Adventure, but they always say that the park is due for massive expansion, but then nothing ever happens.

Miles

> Where in the UK/Europe would/could they
> install another hyper? The trouble is,
> anything tall/long/fast is usually built to
> break a record and let's face it, the Big
> One is tall enough. If Europe does install
> something to rival Millennium Force, I'm
> certainly not riding it! We need something
> that is designed more like Magnum XL200 -
> big, steep drops, with a straight first
> drop. Graeme.

Re: Hypercoasters by Thrill Seeker at 4/12/00 12:57:32 PM

Graeme,Amen! wouldnt it be awesome to have another hyper steelie or woodie in the UK that would challenge Blackpools Big One!Either Drayton Manor or Alton Towers would be the perfect park for such a hyper coaster!Cedar Point seems to have all the record breakers,now its about time that the UK build a real hyper coaster(like Millenium Force)Also Chessingtons World Of Adventures needs some kinda coaster to go along with the Vampire - <><>A true coaster lover<><>

Re: Hypercoasters by Cal at 4/13/00 5:43:19 AM

The day Alton builds a hyper is the day that Satan opens a skating rink. Alton are not allowed to build above tree height - the reason why Nemesis is in a gorge and Oblivion dives into a big tunnel. Also the reason why Thunderlooper was removed - it was too tall and too noisy for the local residents (killjoys!)
Chessington has similar problems with its local residents - they complain if the park does anything much so planning permission is very hard to get there. Thorpe and Drayton don't have the same problem (which is why Tussauds purchased Thorpe) so we may well be seeing taller rides there - though I don't think a hyper is in either park's plans for the time being.

Cal

Re: Hypercoasters by Andreas at 4/13/00 6:37:43 AM

Many european parks have problems with heigth-restrictions. I guess it is more common than in the US.

I guess the problem with Hypers are, that these things are more popular with rollercoaster-connaiseurs than with the general public. They are - or can be - to scary.

I'm not sure, if MF will be such a succes. From my point of wiev it looks great, but I'm afraid, most people will find it intimidading.

I could be wrong.

Andreas

Re: Chessie by Graeme Graeme Profile at 4/13/00 9:17:17 AM

I not optimistic about the direction Chessington is going in. It seems they built the excellent Vampire in the wrong park. Unfortunately. I fear no-one will build another swing coaster (apart from Reverchon!).

Graeme.

> Graeme,Amen! wouldnt it be awesome to have
> another hyper steelie or woodie in the UK
> that would challenge Blackpools Big
> One!Either Drayton Manor or Alton Towers
> would be the perfect park for such a hyper
> coaster!Cedar Point seems to have all the
> record breakers,now its about time that the
> UK build a real hyper coaster(like Millenium
> Force)Also Chessingtons World Of Adventures
> needs some kinda coaster to go along with
> the Vampire - A true coaster lover

Re: Hypercoasters by Graeme Graeme Profile at 4/13/00 9:38:37 AM

Parks seem to like having a "Challenge Ride". It can be a Space Shot or even a Top Spin (Chessington), but at Alton, it's definitely Oblivion. Listen to people looking at the drop (from the ground) saying "No way!" and "I'm not going on that!" They remind me of the little men in Roller Coaster Tycoon!

Fun is all in the design - the way the train flies over the hills and down the drops. People love a good non-inversion ride. Did you see Roland Rivron at Port Aventura? He wasn't overly keen on Dragon Khan, but loved Stampida.

I can only assume Geoffrey Thompson knew exactly what he was getting with the Big One. On the Coaster Crazy vid, he says he ordered it after he had ridden Magnum. I suspect he wanted a milder version, but I agree, it was the coaster surprise of my life. I think the worst bit is the way you slow to a crawl, then roll down the (very mild) second drop.

American Adventure would be absolutely ideal for a hyper (I'm thinking Desperado) if they had the money.

Graeme.

Re: Hypercoasters by Cal at 4/13/00 11:27:32 AM

> Many european parks have problems with
> heigth-restrictions. I guess it is more
> common than in the US. I guess the problem
> with Hypers are, that these things are more
> popular with rollercoaster-connaiseurs than
> with the general public. They are - or can
> be - to scary. I'm not sure, if MF will be
> such a succes. From my point of wiev it
> looks great, but I'm afraid, most people
> will find it intimidading. I could be
> wrong. Andreas

I think people will view it as a challenge. From what I've seen, most of Cedar Point's audience are teens and they will be daring each other to go on. I'm sure it will be really popular - look at Superman: The Escape: it looks more intimidating thank anything I've ever seen, but it has huge queues!

Cal

Re: Hypercoasters/Challenges by Graeme Graeme Profile at 4/14/00 6:36:23 AM

But what's the point in a challenge?

Graeme.

I think people will view it as a challenge. From
> what I've seen, most of Cedar Point's
> audience are teens and they will be daring
> each other to go on. I'm sure it will be
> really popular - look at Superman: The
> Escape: it looks more intimidating thank
> anything I've ever seen, but it has huge
> queues! Cal

Re: Hypercoasters by Andreas at 4/14/00 8:57:16 AM

The two times i've visited SFMM (1999), the queues for Superman The Escape were among the shortest in the park.

And why havent anyone build a clone of that ride (except for the one in Australia)?

Wasnt it John Wardley that once said, theres a fine line between making rides that scares people, and rides that scares people away. I fear, that this line has been crossed with MF.

Anyway - your probably right. I hope your right.

//;)

Andreas

Re: Hypercoasters by junebugg junebugg Profile at 4/17/00 1:13:29 AM

> Where in the UK/Europe would/could they
> install another hyper? The trouble is,
> anything tall/long/fast is usually built to
> break a record and let's face it, the Big
> One is tall enough. If Europe does install
> something to rival Millennium Force, I'm
> certainly not riding it! We need something
> that is designed more like Magnum XL200 -
> big, steep drops, with a straight first
> drop. Graeme.

What factors would prevent you from riding a MF rival? Is it the height, speed, steep turns, angle of descent on first drop?

Also, what designer(s) would you want to build a Magnum XL200 type ride in the U.K.?

- junebugg

Re: Hypercoasters by Cal at 4/17/00 6:10:08 AM

> The two times i've visited SFMM (1999), the
> queues for Superman The Escape were among
> the shortest in the park. And why havent
> anyone build a clone of that ride (except
> for the one in Australia)? Wasnt it John
> Wardley that once said, theres a fine line
> between making rides that scares people, and
> rides that scares people away. I fear, that
> this line has been crossed with MF. Anyway
> - your probably right. I hope your right.
> //;) Andreas

Mostly it comes down to height restrictions. A lot of places can't get permission to build something 400 feet high.

Cal

Re: Hypercoasters/Challenges by Cal at 4/17/00 6:12:59 AM

> But what's the point in a challenge?
> Graeme.

I love a challenge. I love the adrenaline buzz I get after riding something frightening - I giggle like a maniac for ages afterwards. Unfortunately not much scares me anymore so I welcome rides like Millennium Force - I can enjoy most coasters a lot but it'll take something huge to give me that special buzz.

Cal

Re: Hypercoasters/Challenges by Graeme Graeme Profile at 4/17/00 2:49:06 PM

OK, fair enough. There's no harm in a well-balanced park having a "Bullet" or an "Oblivion". My sisters are the same. I only go on the bigger coasters for their sake.

Graeme.

I love a challenge. I love the adrenaline buzz I
> get after riding something frightening - I
> giggle like a maniac for ages afterwards.
> Unfortunately not much scares me anymore so
> I welcome rides like Millennium Force - I
> can enjoy most coasters a lot but it'll take
> something huge to give me that special buzz.
> Cal

Re: Hypercoasters by Graeme Graeme Profile at 4/17/00 2:55:05 PM

The height specifically, not the length of the drop. For instance, it would be OK if it travelled down a hillside.

Designers? Arrow, Morgan, B&M - I don't really mind.

Graeme.

What factors would prevent you from riding a MF
> rival? Is it the height, speed, steep turns,
> angle of descent on first drop? Also, what
> designer(s) would you want to build a Magnum
> XL200 type ride in the U.K.? - junebugg