Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Vekoma wants it all

Vekoma wants it all

AndrewT

Posted:
1/9/00 at
9:43:48 AM

Views: 221

I read in FD that Vekoma are building woodies now! Are they not satisfied with building most of the worlds steel coasters? Whats more worrying, are all the park owners going to start buying cheap off-the-shelf woodies from Vekoma just like their Boomerangs and SLCs

Andy

Re: Vekoma wants it all by Cal at 1/10/00 7:47:45 AM

> I read in FD that Vekoma are building
> woodies now! Are they not satisfied with
> building most of the worlds steel coasters?
> Whats more worrying, are all the park owners
> going to start buying cheap off-the-shelf
> woodies from Vekoma just like their
> Boomerangs and SLCs Andy

Well I guess that depends on how the Six Flags Holland woodie turns out. I also don't think it'll be as easy to do cookie cutter woodies, the same way they do SLCs and Boomerangs. Look at the Six Flags Cyclone clones - all very different despite their similar design.
In a way I think it's healthy that more companies are building woodies. CCI and GCI can't do them all so it's good for the parks to have a few alternatives. Anything that encourages parks to build wooden coasters is a positive thing in my book.

Cal

Re: Vekoma wants it all by Alex at 1/11/00 1:47:25 PM

> I read in FD that Vekoma are building
> woodies now! Are they not satisfied with
> building most of the worlds steel coasters?
> Whats more worrying, are all the park owners
> going to start buying cheap off-the-shelf
> woodies from Vekoma just like their
> Boomerangs and SLCs Andy

From what I understand, Vekoma are not actually designing the coasters themselves, but are supplying all the mechanical aspects such as the trains and brakes. The SFH coaster has been designed by Dennis Starkey in the USA, and the coaster for Tusenfryd is being designed by Allot & Lomax in the UK who did the first drop on the Pepsi Max Big One.