Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Postcards From Grona Lund

Postcards From Grona Lund

the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile

Posted:
6/25/11 at
8:13:15 AM

Views: 7663

A few weeks back we visited Gröna Lund and Liseberg on a Swedish coaster pilgrimage.

It's very rare these days for a coaster to make me go "WOW" when I first see it, Insane was certainly one of those rare "WOW" moments when I first saw a picture last year, ever since I've really wanted to ride it. When the park announced Twister this year, that was it, the flights were booked right away!

After a short tram ride from the city we arrived at a very wet and rainy Gröna Lund. The park is the classic Scandinavian pay for entry then either tokens as you ride or a multi-ride wristband option on top.

The park was in two sections, separated by a bridge, we entered in the kids section which was styled in the classic Tivoli feel. We may have sneaked a ride in on Tuff-Tuff Tåget "choo-choo!" but didn't do the Ladybird/Tivoli coaster haha

Photobucket

So Insane was up next and had a short wait, later in the day as the park got busier, the queue was long and painful. The queue line splits in two (one of each side), the loading was very efficient, the hosts were making sure every seat was filled, which is a blessing as it seems they weren't dispatching a car until the one in front had come to the end of the ride. despite a mid course brake / block section.

There are four cars in total. The lift is quick and torturous, this coaster is genuinely terrifying purely because you can't work out which direction you are going to travel, especially if the car flips!

As the car makes its way back and forth through the zig-zags you constantly change direction, from going backwards to going forwards the next second, it is truly deserving of the name Insane.

Consequently the front and back of the car give completely different experiences. The back seats, which become the front at the top of the lift give some terrifying views as you zig-zag above the waters below, the location certainly adds a major edge to the experience. I can't help but think if a park just concreted one of these down on flat land it wouldn't be nearly as good.

My favourite part is the wang flip at the end of the ride, which guarantees to flip the car over, it's really exhilarating.

Visually the ride is stunning too! The capacity is just about okay for a city park but I wonder how it could work in a busy theme park unless you had a duelling version?

Photobucket

Lustiga Huset the cake walk / fun house is a great treasure, it's very long walk-through with conveyor slides, jiggling bridges, spinning barrels, mirror labyrinth, slanted rooms and climaxes with a trap door slide thing, complete with on ride photos!

Jetline - The Schwarzkopf designed beast is almost the same as Knightmare (Camelot) with a few modifications. It's a fast thrilling coaster with steep plunges and force heavy helices. The multiple train operation made for very short quick moving queues.

Vilda Musen - Gerstlauer bobsled, is actually crazy! Woven high above the Jetline, it features some scary banking and airtime pops. The queue cattle pen was very, very tight and uncomfortable.

Kvasten - suspended Vekoma family coaster is actually very good, it's quite fast and kick-ass, it's in a different league to the standard Vekoma family inverters, so much better quality and enjoyable ride. There's a random fire explosion too!

Blå tåget - the ghost train has been rebuilt to build Twister on top of it! It's kind of a laugh in the dark with many fast paced tricks thrown at you, it also uses effects in the car to make you jump more. Quite fun and interesting.

Pop-Expressen - an indoor break dance, a crazy spin to a techno remix of Sweet Dreams by the Eurythmics was a great laugh and one of the longest queues of the day.

The park were noticeably more efficient at loading and dispatching the coasters. They took ages on the flat rides which made the waiting times longer.

Photobucket

Twister is really a remarkable achievement, it's mind boggling how they've fitted a coaster into this tiny space. The ride is very speedy with a good dosage of airtime

The queue is another claustrophobic cattle pen squeezed into the middle of the ride, the coaster is very loud, which makes the tiny queue space a little unbearable at times. On our first ride they were only operating one train yet somehow the queue moved up unnaturally fast, when they had two trains later in the day it was so quick we could easily blag front or back seat rides!

The Timberliner trains are very comfortable and feature a restraint which kind of reminded me of Maurer's X-Car, without any seatbelts to check, the dispatch times are very quick and efficient.

Overall Gröna Lund is a great park, the tiny space is overflowing with some awesome rides, I can't wait to return!

Photobucket

Re: Postcards From Gröna Lund by Graeme Graeme Profile at 6/25/11 6:43:36 PM

Thanks very much, winged beast. The presentation was unbelievable. I don't know how you made pictures like that.

> My favourite part is the wang flip at the end of the
> ride, which guarantees to flip the car over, it's really
> exhilarating.

Is that the official name for it? :P

> Lustiga Huset the cake walk / fun house is a great
> treasure, it's very long walk-through with conveyor slides,
> jiggling bridges, spinning barrels, mirror labyrinth,
> slanted rooms and climaxes with a trap door slide thing,
> complete with on ride photos!

Sounds great. Do you fall through the trap door?

Grona Lund sounds like it would be my favourite amusement park. I mean, it's got a woodie, Gerstlauer Bobsled and Vekoma suspended coaster! Glad to hear they all met expectations.

Re: Postcards From Gröna Lund by britcitchris britcitchris Profile at 6/30/11 10:20:55 AM

Excellent report and photos. The park and it's rides look amazing!

Chris.